California Headphones Silverado impressions
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #91 of 158
What about modding? It is worth it to use as a platform because it is leather and metal? I've been looking into the Fostex T50RP versions from Mayflower and it looks kinda cool to do. Doing it yourself I mean.

Moddable? - Yes. Good candidate for driver swapping? Probably not unless you're willing to experiment. You'll find a ton of suggestions on driver swapping Fostex and many popular cans but I suspect little to none on Silverados. You could take one apart, measure the drivers, find another driver which would fit - how would it sound?? Who knows? Worth the cost of experimenting? Up to you :)

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #92 of 158
Only when it fails, then I will operate if there's nothing else I can do, lol. I just wanted to listen to the sound the way it is. I just wanted a bigger cable, lol. I got a 6ft. extension for it, better than 3.9 ft. I like the headphones the way they are now. A good deal for $49.99 and free shipping. Hopefully the cable lasts for awhile. 

About the Fostex T50RP mod. I might just do that for another pair. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #93 of 158
Moddable? - Yes. Good candidate for driver swapping? Probably not unless you're willing to experiment. You'll find a ton of suggestions on driver swapping Fostex and many popular cans but I suspect little to none on Silverados. You could take one apart, measure the drivers, find another driver which would fit - how would it sound?? Who knows? Worth the cost of experimenting? Up to you :)

40mm drivers, even stated online.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #94 of 158
I knew that, but right on. And I even have the box it came in, lol. I guess it's more of what to use first. What brands to go by to use for the drivers. It doesn't matter now. They play, that's enough for me. But when I do, I will scavenge the forums and youtube. Thank you for your help. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #95 of 158

40mm drivers, even stated online.

Ok, but back to what would pair well with the construction of Silverados? I assuming, maybe incorrectly, that there is some thought/experimenting needed to best match driver to housing? Any suggestions on available replacement drivers vs. sacrificing another pair to scavenge drivers?

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #96 of 158
Any headphone should do, then you just adjust the dampening scheme inside of the primary chamber to get the best sound, which is experimentally determined.

May 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #97 of 158
I just got a perfect pair on eBay for $60.00 + 3.75 shipping. I did not get the retail box. Very well put together. I have been reading the concerns about the cord. I believe I may have this figured out. The headphones are marked left and right, where as the cord is not marked. I believe that they used a standard 3 three conducter cable and wired the headphone to contact the correct conductor on the cable plug. So it does not matter which end plugs into the headphones. I ordered a splitter and two three foot cables. Be here in two days. We'll see.
C.

May 10, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #98 of 158
Which orientation does matter.  There isn't all three signals (left, right, return/ground) on each headphone end.

May 11, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #100 of 158
Which orientation does matter.  There isn't all three signals (left, right, return/ground) on each headphone end.
Bummer. That would have been brilliant.

May 15, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #101 of 158
After my wife vacuumed up my Silverado cord and destroyed it, I was forced to find a solution to the replacement cable problem.

It arrived from Amazon today and it totally works.

The answer is a DJ cable or DJ splitter, and a couple of male to male 3.5 mm cables.  The stereo jack in each ear only plays through the right ear channel, so you need to get a signal for the appropriate ear to play on the right ear channel of a stereo plug.

The DJ cable splits the stereo out in to a left mono signal that plays on both stereo channels, and a right mono signal that plays on both stereo channels.  Plug your stereo male to male cables in to the two jacks, and one cable will work for the left ear, and the other cable will work for the right ear.

May 15, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #102 of 158
  After my wife vacuumed up my Silverado cord and destroyed it, I was forced to find a solution to the replacement cable problem.

It arrived from Amazon today and it totally works.

The answer is a DJ cable or DJ splitter, and a couple of male to male 3.5 mm cables.  The stereo jack in each ear only plays through the right ear channel, so you need to get a signal for the appropriate ear to play on the right ear channel of a stereo plug.

The DJ cable splits the stereo out in to a left mono signal that plays on both stereo channels, and a right mono signal that plays on both stereo channels.  Plug your stereo male to male cables in to the two jacks, and one cable will work for the left ear, and the other cable will work for the right ear.

Could you provide the Amazon links for the parts that you bought to replace the original cable please?

May 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #103 of 158
May 15, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #104 of 158
I tried to post the links but I think the post needs to be approved by a mod.

The DJ cable is "Native Instruments Traktor 8-Inch DJ Cable for iPad/iPhone" and cost about $8.

The stereo cables are "Omaker 3 Pack Optimum Combination 3.5mm Male to Male Stereo Audio Cable Cord", it has two male to male 3.5mm cables to connect the DJ cable to the headphones, and a longer cable that I'm going to use as an AUX cable in a car. Also about $8.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #105 of 158
I love these things. I have not seen build quality like this in any headphone I have laid hands on. Probably only the top models of any brand. I am a shut in and don't get out much to shows that have the best of the best on display. These things are really very comfortable and do a good job of blocking out outside noise.They are built like a tank. Had them on for a little over 6 hours without any discomfort. The audio output is as described by the other posters. The cord is the only weak point with these cans. They have dual entry cords. They are not marked left or right. It does not matter which cord you plug into which can, it will be correct, strange. Another poster listed some links to Amazon for a solution to the peculiarities of the cables for these if your cables get messed up.
C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back