California Headphones Silverado impressions
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #151 of 158
I still get people asking about cables for these headphones from time to time. The headphones are well made and hold up well but the stock cable can certainly be improved upon.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #154 of 158
Sorry for the super revive. I picked up a set for about $35 used on ebay, and had no idea the project I was getting myself into! It came without the cable, and I tried buying a cable on amazon that looked like it would work, and they didn't. I then tried ordering mono 3.5mm plugs and modifying the cable ends, but I didn't know the pin connections in the headphones were not a standard setup. I eventually opened up the headphones (poking holes in the cushion inner fabric hurt a bit) and re-soldered them as recommended in this thread. I also added some closed cell foam into the back of the metal chambers to help reduce some of the echo-y base noises I was getting.

I'm thinking about buying some tiny Polyethylene shim/washers to help reduce some of the slop in a lot of the joints. I like the metal build but the tolerances are pretty low on some parts.

Anyways, here are some pics! I love how the cables turned out. The chrome plugs match the headphone adjustment sliders perfectly.

1dyjEzbh.jpg

Hz4YVPch.jpg

xLcyfV6h.jpg

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #155 of 158
I could have helped with the wiring but I am glad you got it figured out. I have a couple pairs of those headphones and left one stock but I turned one pair into open headphones with the use of some Beyerdynamic drivers that fit perfectly inside the cup openings. headphones.jpg

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #157 of 158
Sorry for the necromancy here, but I'm curious if anyone knows of any good replacement ear pads for the Silverados. Mine are starting to show their age, and flaking all over the place.

I found these fit nice and tight, and they also sound great and are comfortable.

WADEO Replacement Ear Pads Earpads Cup Cover Memory Foam Cushion for Sony MDR-XB950BT XB950B1 XB950N1 XB950AP Bluetooth Wireless Headphones, 2 Pieces Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9X6S6B/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_98HH4NHCW7BCA0ER72B0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Note: you need to rip off the original pads, unscrew the earcup just enough to slide these on. They might take a little stretching on the bottom rubber ring but fit like a glove once you do.

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back