California Headphones Silverado impressions
Jun 3, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #106 of 158
  After my wife vacuumed up my Silverado cord and destroyed it, I was forced to find a solution to the replacement cable problem.

It arrived from Amazon today and it totally works.

The answer is a DJ cable or DJ splitter, and a couple of male to male 3.5 mm cables.  The stereo jack in each ear only plays through the right ear channel, so you need to get a signal for the appropriate ear to play on the right ear channel of a stereo plug.

The DJ cable splits the stereo out in to a left mono signal that plays on both stereo channels, and a right mono signal that plays on both stereo channels.  Plug your stereo male to male cables in to the two jacks, and one cable will work for the left ear, and the other cable will work for the right ear.

Seems you are taking a stereo signal to both the left and right side of the headphone.

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Instruments-Traktor-8-Inch-iPhone/dp/B00E411NG6

How does that give left and right separation when listening through the headphone?

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #107 of 158
I had ordered a standard splitter and two stereo three foot cables thinking that, like the original cable, it would just pick up the correct left or right, thinking that the jacks in the headphones were wired left or right as it does not matter which cable is put where. The cable is not marked left or right. Well it was monural, playing only the left channel. Cannot figure that one out. Ordered the DJ splitter that was recommended for the fix. Well anyway, jamming out to some Rammstein and these cans rock!!! The more hours I put on these things the better they sound. I love these things, very comfortable. I have had them on since 10:30 last night and it is now 5:05PM the next day and I have only had them off four or five times for maybe five to ten minutes on those breaks. I am disabled and sit in a recliner and watch TV and listen to music. I am the perfect test subject for headphones. Theses cans truly rock. The longer they break-in the highs are coming into their own. Much better transition from upper mids. All of the others, sub base to mid base and then the transition to the mids is very clean. I love these things. I had been afraid to listen to them what with fragile cables and no way to get a replacement.
C.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #108 of 158
I purchased the recommended items from Amazon and they work just like the factory cables in that it does not matter which cord is plugged into which can, they automatically are correct as to right and left orientation. Fantastic.
C.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #109 of 158
I will be receiving a pair of the Silverado headphones next week and I will experiment with various cables. I plan to build extensions for each side so that I can test cables using the various connectors found in the industry. Mini-XLR, Hirose, etc. as well as testing balanced outputs from different amps.The headphones appear to be fairly rugged and should fit my needs and this is a less expensive way to go compared to buying a half dozen brands of headphones just to do a live test on some cables. I may post something if I can hear or measure an audible difference in the cables I use; from everything I have read so far the original cables were pretty crappy anyway.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #110 of 158
The Silverado's is extra-crappy.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #111 of 158
LOL I got that impression. There are a few types of Belden Brilliance cable that I will try with them immediately as well as some UP OCC copper. I also have a decent five way switch box that will allow me to try multiple sources. There is an acrylic I like to use to fashion adapters, once they are sealed the connectors may one day fail but there is little worry about any form of strain relief on the wires. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #112 of 158
I purchased the recommended items from Amazon and they work just like the factory cables in that it does not matter which cord is plugged into which can, they automatically are correct as to right and left orientation. Fantastic.
C.

I received the Silverados with factory cable and both the tip and ring of each headphone connector is joined together but one does go to the tip on the source end and one does go to the ring. It does matter which cable you have plugged in unless you do not mind the right channel coming out as the left and the left as the right. Using a standard splitter cable the effect would be both left and right channel combined on each side, thus mono.
Today I am building an OCC copper cable and I will see how that does compared to the factory cable. The cans are certainly rugged and comfortable. I was not overly impressed with the sound when using the factory cable and it seems that most people are replacing that cable pretty quickly anyway so a quality cable may make a lot of difference for me as well.

Update, OCC helped. Midrange and highs are more pronounced, bass is less muddled. I just have a portable OPPO amp with me so I will give them a better test tonight.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #113 of 158
I initially marked the right channel connector's sleeve, the first white ring next to the headphone connector, with a red permanent marker.  I'm still using a Brainwavz HM5 cable on my Silverado.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #114 of 158
  I initially marked the right channel connector's sleeve, the first white ring next to the headphone connector, with a red permanent marker.  I'm still using a Brainwavz HM5 cable on my Silverado.

The cable certainly looks like it will work. Those are tip/sleeve connections plugging into the headphone, since the tip and ring are tied together on the left and right channel it allows for TS or TRS connections. I plugged my Silverado with a newly made cable into a couple amps when I got home and was impressed with the sound for the most part. I prefer a tighter bass so I will eventually see what alterations I can make to affect that. Over the weekend I want to build some balanced cables for them just to see if I can detect a difference.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #116 of 158

So you just don't push the L and R in all of the way?

Come to think of it, the cables could not work with mono (TS) connectors if they were pushed all the way in. CHC used TRS connectors originally and if you do push a mono connector all the way in the ring on the connector would be touching ground. Here is a photo in case that helps. Tip, Sleeve (mono) and Tip, Ring, Sleeve (stereo). I built my cable with trs connectors like the original, if you use mono the spacing is wrong so you would have to back the connector out a bit. 

If you plug the connector on the left into a jack made for the connector on the right you can see that the ring would go to ground and kill the signal. Pulled back a bit it would make contact with the ring in the jack.
If you folks are having trouble finding proper cables for the Silverados I would be willing to build you one each at no charge. Just message me with an address and whether you prefer a 3.5 mm or 1/4 inch connector on the source end. I would not be using OCC copper but I would certainly use a high quality cable for the build. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #117 of 158
Jun 27, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #118 of 158
Your other option is to build or have built a cable electrically identical to the original. I am in the process of building some sample cables for various types of headphones right now and I have built one for the Silverado's. The original cable is not that good and the ones I am making are of higher quality all around.(Amphenol connectors, Belden cable) I am away from work for a couple days but if you private message me a name and address I do not mind sending you a sample no charge wheh I get back to work,  as long as I am shipping in the US. I just built a similar cable for some cheap Skull Candy headphones and the difference is remarkable. I doubt there are that many people out there with the CHC cans so it is not a problem to help out a little.You can rewire your headphones or I can explain again how to wire the cable if you so desire. The cable is easy to build, you can plug it all the way in and the headphones would sound better than with the original cable IMHO.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #119 of 158
  Your other option is to build or have built a cable electrically identical to the original. I am in the process of building some sample cables for various types of headphones right now and I have built one for the Silverado's. The original cable is not that good and the ones I am making are of higher quality all around.(Amphenol connectors, Belden cable) I am away from work for a couple days but if you private message me a name and address I do not mind sending you a sample no charge wheh I get back to work,  as long as I am shipping in the US. I just built a similar cable for some cheap Skull Candy headphones and the difference is remarkable. I doubt there are that many people out there with the CHC cans so it is not a problem to help out a little.You can rewire your headphones or I can explain again how to wire the cable if you so desire. The cable is easy to build, you can plug it all the way in and the headphones would sound better than with the original cable IMHO.

I already did in my own post that I linked, but thank you.

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #120 of 158

I already did in my own post that I linked, but thank you.

And a fine post it is I am sure;pardon me for not reading back that far. The cable is pretty simple to make so I went that route myself and I wanted to keep the existing jacks stock.

By the way have you done any modifications to the Silverado's besides rewiring the 3.5 mm jacks? I did not pay much for my Silverados and a decent cable helped tremendously but I hope to improve low frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back