California Headphones Silverado impressions
Jul 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #31 of 158
Awesome job Mad MAx!

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #32 of 158
I just ordered these on impulse for a driver swap project, and just cancelled it minutes later when I saw that it is not all metal...

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #33 of 158
Got a pair for cheap on Amazon yesterday, running on a Schiit Modi/Magni and am pretty happy for the money.
The amp and DAC are excellent and will see me through better headphones later which was the plan, the Silverados
seem to be well made, metal and leather as was noted, no rattles, nothing cheap feeling other than the cable and I wouldn't worry about
it unless I was using these other than at home.  Rock/Country or not, NiN with precision synthetic lows and highs and Trents simple
vocals are very pleasing.  FLAC rips from vinyl of Janis Joplin live are not what I'd call warm (but I'm a newbie) but it's really really
engaging and, well, fun.  The long version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine cover by CCR really shines which is I guess the goal of these, that long guitar piece at the end really made me grin and I heard someone poking around on a piano off to the left I'd never heard before after listening to that song a lot of times.  For $50 I love em.  I'll buy better once I know what I'm listening too but these were much cooler than the other readily available $50 examples.  I do suspect (newbie again though) that they were reaching a bit much over $100 sound wise, though the build quality as a whole might justify it.  I hope to try some open back Sennheisers next to compare, but I needed closed first to keep the wife happy.  FWIW a quick test gaming they seem to be OK with, nothing stood out as bad, staccato noises like rapid gunfire was a little forward but nothing too bad, a jet made a low fast pass overhead and I ducked, then laughed at myself.  I swear even just straight 2ch stereo games were a bit better through a Xonar U7 than the Schitt combo, did not have the volume the Magni had though, enough but not quite where I'd want it.  More experimenting needed.  Very pleased overall at $50, would be fairly ok with them at $100 but no more.
If you collect cans and have a few bucks spare I'd get a pair before they are gone just to look at if nothing else.

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #35 of 158
  Do they compare to the Koss DJ100-200?

I'd say no. Tried the DJ200 and these at Best Buy one day and the DJ200 was much nicer sounding. Smoother FR, better transients, better build, etc. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #37 of 158
Unlikely, the DJ200 looks like it is all plastic. The plastic parts on the Silverado are just the baffle and the driver chamber, seen here.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #38 of 158

I'd say no. Tried the DJ200 and these at Best Buy one day and the DJ200 was much nicer sounding. Smoother FR, better transients, better build, etc. 

Better Build on the DJ200?

The Silverado is die-cast metal and leather headband/earpads/case.

http://www.californiaheadphones.com/silverado.html

The DJ200 is all metal too...? The cups are brushed aluminum and the yokes felt ridiculously solid to me.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #39 of 158
The Silverados, to my knowledge, has cups that are metal. The DJ100 (and I'm going to assume the DJ200) just has a metal cap; the cup itself is plastic.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #40 of 158
check ebay- these are going for 30$ new, and the laredos for 10$ + 5$ shipping

!!

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #41 of 158

!!

Great prices!

Silverado $34 shipped on Ebay !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/California-Headphone-Company-Over-Ear-Metal-and-Leather-Headphones-Silverado-/261654111797?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3cebcce635

Amazon also has the Laredo for $14.95 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/California-Headphone-Company-Leather-Headphones/dp/B0093LNRYI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417743499&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=californa+laredo

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #43 of 158
  Newegg has these for $29.00, free shipping. Can't wait to try these out.

Great find...cheapest price yet!

And the Laredo is $14.95 with free shipping.

Great Christmas presents !!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=california+headphones&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #44 of 158

!!

Couldn't resist for $34 delivered. And according to their Kickstarter update page CHC is no more. Shutting down to focus on other business - Jelly Cases if I recall. So inventory fire sale ....

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #45 of 158
Couldn't resist for $34 delivered. And according to their Kickstarter update page CHC is no more. Shutting down to focus on other business - Jelly Cases if I recall. So inventory fire sale ....

And had you clicked the link I posted in the msg before yours, you could have gotten it for $29 delivered. 
confused.gif

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=california%20headphones&N=-1&isNodeId=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146845&SID=m20bntyn1u52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back