California Headphone Company A New Tim Hickman Brand
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

knowimagination

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone I have been doing some research on this brand after stumbling upon them on kickstarter. What really caught me were that they are going to be tuned for rock, country, and alternative so definitely not a heavy bass headphone, but something that would seemingly fall in line with a lot of what I listen to (minus country).

My problem with them is that they are from Tim Hickman who apperantly was also part of the Fanny Wang headphones and after reading some reviews on those I am kind of on the fence about this new brand. They have specs listed on their website, but as a noob I really don't know what those really show me about the headphones.

Anyone have any tips on what I should be looking at to decide if they are going to turn out any good or not? Or am I just going to have to cross my fingers and give them a shot?

Thanks for any tips you can give me here is a pic of the model that caught my interest.

0582a85e.jpg

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 54
Jun 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 54
Jun 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 54
Yeah, specs aren't going to be very revealing of what they sound like - just a vague teaser on their potential ability.

I'm pretty confident that when they're launched in August, Tyll will be able to get a pair or two for measurements.  In the meantime, so many other good cans to discover! 
smile.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 54
Hmm. Hopefully they are better than their predecessors, the Wangs. They certainly look very nice, and seem nicely priced for their seemingly high quality build. Though, I'd have to hear them myself, the Wangs weren't exactly Hifi. But, they may pull a V-moda and really turn it around with these.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 54
I'm pretty sure they were at CES 2012 this past January.  And if I'm not mistaken, Tyll Hertsens did a little write up of them over at Inner Fidelity.

Link found:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2012-california-headphone-company

Thanks for the link, not sure how I missed that in my google search :p

I have backed for a pair of the silverados just to see how they are when they hopefully ship in august. In the mean time I need to find me a decent portable headphone as well.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:
Thanks for the link, not sure how I missed that in my google search
tongue.gif

I have backed for a pair of the silverados just to see how they are when they hopefully ship in august. In the mean time I need to find me a decent portable headphone as well.

The company web site (link inside the link) appears to be devoid of substance at the present time.

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 54
popcorn.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 54
Jun 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:
Thanks for the link, not sure how I missed that in my google search
tongue.gif

Maybe one of those odd days when Google re-indexes and turns their database inside out?  It happens.

How were you able to preorder?  Did you have to contact them directly via phone?

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 54
Don't get your hopes up. 

In that video he was interviewed by an audiophile blog, and he talked about marketing tactics for a minute and a half and then at the end threw in "and they also sound good".  Looking at the big truck display and bales of hay, and how focused he was on marketing and the look of the headphone it's clear what their focus is.  Hick Beats.  Fail. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 54
Maybe one of those odd days when Google re-indexes and turns their database inside out?  It happens.

How were you able to preorder?  Did you have to contact them directly via phone?

They have a kickstarter project going where you can pledge funs in exchange for the headphones. They have 200 slots available for "beta testers" at a pretty good discount from msrp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back