Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe
Dec 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #316 of 497
The actual level of bass relative to other frequencies is the same as volume decreases, as confirmed by measurement microphones.

The perceived level by human beings of bass relative to other frequencies decreases as volume decreases, which is the expected result when one considers equal-loudness contours.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #317 of 497
Music preference plays a part too, it's why home theatre speakers (for movies) and speakers for classical music are tailored differently.

I keep hearing people say things like this, but I don't understand it at all. When I put together my screening room, I started with a perfectly balanced two channel system and added the rest of the channels balancing them as I went. When I play classical, it sounds like perfect classical. When I play a Summer blockbuster movie, things explode and the walls shake. The difference is in the recording and mix, not the speakers or equipment. It's not even in the difference between 2 channel stereo and 5:1 surround, because I use surround DSPs with my two channel playback of classical music that sound totally balanced and natural.

Good balanced sound is the same, no matter what you happen to be listening to.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #318 of 497
The actual level of bass relative to other frequencies is the same as volume decreases, as confirmed by measurement microphones.
The perceived level by human beings of bass relative to other frequencies decreases as volume decreases, which is the expected result when one considers equal-loudness contours.

So there is a difference between measurement and perception when considering loudness contours. The ER4S will seem to lack bass at lower volumes, around 80dB? But it doesn't measure as having this perceived lack.

Joe Bloggs: I thought the missing 6dB effect was discounted?

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #319 of 497
Quote:
So there is a difference between measurement and perception when considering loudness contours. The ER4S will seem to lack bass at lower volumes, around 80dB? But it doesn't measure as having this perceived lack.
Joe Bloggs: I thought the missing 6dB effect was discounted?

Seems so, but AFAIK those loudness contours apply to both headphones and real life. If something is too loud or too quiet in a live performance the loudness contours may apply. Probably one reason why dynamic range matters: It may affect frequency response perception.

My point is that compensating using loudness contours to achieve flat under all volume conditions may not correlate to how we would perceive a real life performance. Maybe best to compensate for gear issues and hear music at reasonable levels... Dunno.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #320 of 497
Quote:

FR measurements are done in dB SPL (referenced to a sound pressure of 20 micropascal). Equal loudness uses phons, a unit to describe how loud pure tones are perceived.

You cannot measure what SPL you need for X phon at Y Hz per se. You can only do experiments with people, that will tell you to turn the volume up or down to match the volume of a 1 kHz tone at X dB SPL. The result of these experiments are the equal loudness contours.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #321 of 497
My receiver has a button that compensates for lack of bass at low volumes

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #322 of 497
Quote:
Is anyone here well versed enough in psychology to explain how one can have a placebo effect opposite to the expected direction, e.g. preferring a $10 printer cable to a $200 audiophile USB cable?  Or for that matter having any differential placebo effect at all when one doesn't expect a difference?

See the links in my signature
beerchug.gif

There are so many psychological effects that have influence on our hearing (and our thinking and all other senses as well).

If you guys want to get deeper into this topic, I highly (HIGHLY) recommend you read "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman (Psychology Professor, Nobel Prize Winner).
This book made my jaw drop several times. Sometimes I needed half an our to fully understand what I read because the discoveries psychologist made in the last couple decades are soo counterintuitive.

Anyway, get this book and be prepared for some serious headaches .

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #323 of 497
Quote:

FR measurements are done in dB SPL (referenced to a sound pressure of 20 micropascal). Equal loudness uses phons, a unit to describe how loud pure tones are perceived.

You cannot measure what SPL you need for X phon at Y Hz per se. You can only do experiments with people, that will tell you to turn the volume up or down to match the volume of a 1 kHz tone at X dB SPL. The result of these experiments are the equal loudness contours.

Makes a lot of sense thanks.

My receiver has a button that compensates for lack of bass at low volumes

How awesome would it be to have automatic EQ to compensate for bass at all volumes? Maybe in the distant future...

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #324 of 497
Guys whats a reliable easy to use tone generator that I can download?

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #327 of 497
Dec 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #328 of 497
Sinegen

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #330 of 497
My brother stopped by for a holiday visit yesterday and gave me the speakers he has used with his Macintosh system since the mid 1970s. He's downsizing and decided to get smaller ones. They are custom made, with a fantastic 12 inch woofer, two 6 inch midrange speakers and a fancy chrome plated super tweeter. I patched them into my system replacing my 10 inch three ways that were made by the same guy as his, and the EQ is very close. I imagine they use the same crossovers and midrange speakers. I just have a little tweaking to do at the end of the spectrum. Now I am going to do a little work on my 10 inch cabinets and fly them up into the rafters as rear channels. When I get that set up, my sound is going to be formidable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back