Cables.
Aug 25, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #31 of 140
It's complete lunacy to pay for expensive power cables. It's like making an aqueduct out of gold simply to power a watermill. It's the exact same current!!!

The only conditional factor might be the stability of the current flow, and this can very easily be monitored using a ammeter.

Hasn't anyone ever done this?? Compared an expensive power cable versus a cheapo one by monitoring with an ammeter?

Why in the world would someone dish out thousands of dollars on a damn power cable to achieve a self-fulfilling placebo effect! Put those $$$ towards something tangible like a charity!

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #32 of 140
I would not suggest monitoring cables with a ammeter. Listen to them with your ears. If you can't tell the difference, it ain't for you!

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #33 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not suggest monitoring cables with a ammeter. Listen to them with your ears. If you can't tell the difference, it ain't for you!

That makes absolutely no sense to me. I am a scientist, I seek quantifiable evidence. I do not trust my subjective ear nor anyone else's. The placebo effect is a well known psychosomatic response. I trust my science against subjective non-sense any day.

Please explain to me how you think a fancy power cable will help your sound? Give me ONE quality it has that can possibly effect the sound.

CURRENT IS CURRENT.

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #34 of 140
Easy, the Gage of the wire, the purity of the metal that is used, the termination of the plugs, the plugs used? all has a part in the sound. I could go on?

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #35 of 140
I never understood the power cable thing. I mean the electricity comes to your house through 50 miles of cheap ass aluminum cable, into your 30 year old breaker box, through the cheap ass 12 gauge wiring in the attic and down into a 30 cent wall socket and yet the last 3 feet is gonna make a difference? What?

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #36 of 140
Quote:

Easy, the Gage of the wire, the purity of the metal that is used, the termination of the plugs, the plugs used? all has a part in the sound. I could go on?

You also forgot length of the cable. Those effect only one thing- resistance.

R = length of cable * resistivity (purity) of the cable / (cross sectional area)

Ohm's Law: R = electrical potential / current

..... Again, current is current! If you're amplifier is sufficiently powered with proper current it could care less what the power cable is made of.

Would a watermill work better if it's aqueduct was made of gold?

Sell your stupid power cable and donate the funds to a charity.

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #37 of 140
Not all of us have 30 year old breaker boxes, or cheap wiring in our house. There are some of us who get power conditioning for our gear. I have a commercial electrician in my family and a good friend who has all the power toys I need. upgrading cables may not be for you. Just don't ruin a fair chance for someone to experiment with it.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #38 of 140
Quote:

Saying it has a part in the sound doesn't make it so. I mean, if signal passed through a power cable you could make that point, just as you can make it with interconnects (in turn why you need DBT to rule out the effects of interconnects), but these are power cables.

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #39 of 140
Power conditioning is one thing (that makes sense), but running some of these cables from the wall to your equipment that look like it come off a 200 hp 3 phase machine motor is kinda silly.

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #40 of 140
"Sell your stupid power cable and donate the funds to a charity."
Dude, I have a few cables and I donate my time every week to a charity. I feed the homeless every week for the local foodbank and cook the volunteers breakfest every Friday. Nobody said you it was not right for your opinion, just that there is more than one opinion. That is what makes Head-Fi great. I'm on the other side of the fence and its OK. I may have been in Audio( about 30 years) a lot longer than you so I may have seen a few things different than you. It is OK. Please just be tolerant of others who see in a different light.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #41 of 140
Quote:

"Sell your stupid power cable and donate the funds to a charity."
Dude, I have a few cables and I donate my time every week to a charity. I feed the homeless every week for the local foodbank and cook the volunteers breakfest every Friday. Nobody said you it was not right for your opinion, just that there is more than one opinion. That is what makes Head-Fi great. I'm on the other side of the fence and its OK. I may have been in Audio( about 30 years) a lot longer than you so I may have seen a few things different than you. It is OK. Please just be tolerant of others who see in a different light.
bigsmile_face.gif

I didn't mean to single you out, I apologize if it came across like that.

It just seriously irritates me when I don't understand things, and I don't understand how someone could pretend to themselves they hear slightly better sound thanks to thousand dollar power cables -- which in all of my understanding cannot physically make any significant difference at all. It's a LOT of money that could go to much better purposes... IMO.

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #42 of 140
Please go to a few mini-meets in your area. Just listen to gear. You will have opinions change on things.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #43 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Furthermore, Clark states that in the thousands of tests he has administered in his $10,000 challenge, no one has ever passed the test and collected the money.....

His subjects were not able to reliably tell the difference between a $219.95 Pioneer amplifier and a 12 thousand dollar set of Futterman monoblocks.

I think you're joining two different things here, one set of research was
from Richard Clark and the other by David L. Clark.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #44 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're joining two different things here.

It was a paraphrase from the second link I posted and seemed to be an accurate representation of Clark's study.

USG

Edit: You're right I am. Is that OK? One seemed to be an extension of the other and they both say the same thing, but I suppose from a scientific point of view, I should have separated them better.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #45 of 140
Quote:

Screw the studies........

Quote:

Sell your stupid power cable and donate the funds to a charity..........

Religious fervor like that has no place in a science forum.

Did you read the Clark studies?

If you did, would you like to discuss the results in a scientific manner?

From Wikipedia:

"An ad hominem argument is a logical fallacy which represents an attack against the character of a person rather than a refutation of his or her particular argument.."

If you would like to discuss your point of view using the scientific method, there are many scientists here who would be willing accommodate you.

If that is not the case, in a non offensive way, may I suggest that you might feel more at home in the cable forum.

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back