Cables, why all the fuss?
Jan 22, 2006 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

Ihmemies

Head-Fier
I'm just wondering what's the big secret behind this cable madness? I mean until people have got their Sennheiser Orpheus headphones or Gradient Revolution speakers and some kickass amplifiers, why brother? The cable just transmits electricity, and usually thicker = better. Most of the money should go to cables/speakers (over 50%), nearly all the rest to amp and some leftovers for cables. When you got decent cables, difference between them and 50x more expensive cable is like 1%.

I bet this subject has been discussed to death, but still.. the biggest joke are power cables, the electricity which comes from wall outlet is such junk anyways, why the better power cable is supposed to help _at all_? I don't really understand. Someone please enlighten me :|

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 111
I tried search terms "waste of money", and got results:

Explain to Me How Do Power Cords Make a Difference in a System? - http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134218

How much difference will good interconnects make to a system? - http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133696

and

Cables for HD600: Equinox, BlueDragon, Cardas, other? - http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11240

After reading those, I really understand what this cable business is all about: bling. It's like tuning a car, adding those flashy lights and chromed exhaust pipe's heads, fur dices etc. I should have guessed
biggrin.gif

I'm sorry that I interfered you all with this utterly unneeded thread. I won't make any threads about cables from now on. This thread I can't remove, so...

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 111
In my system, I have heard differences between interconnects, but my philosophy is, "why bother?" For me, the differences are minescule; for others, it's the difference between a good set up and a bad one. We all have different levels of expectations from our systems; some strive for perfection, others don't. It all boils down to what kind of a person you are and what camp you fall into.

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 111
Quote:

I tried search terms "waste of money", and got results:

Well, if you already knew the answers why did you ask? By the way, how many cables have you swapped in, and out of an audio system? Nevermind, I already know the answer.
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Well, if you already knew the answers why did you ask? By the way, how many cables have you swapped in, and out of an audio system? Nevermind, I already know the answer.
tongue.gif

I still don't know the answer to my "why bother" question... do people show their brand new cables to their friends and say "Hey look at this cool Nordost Solar Wind interconnet cable I just bought" and the friends respond something like "Oh they look so cool!" With cars I undestand when people want to paint all the body parts to same color and switch the headlights to angel eyes type.. but with cables? Usually cables are just stuffed away and hidden, because most of the time they are a horrible mess.

Are there any special tricks how you can show off your cables without them looking messy?

And yes, I've switched from the default worthless interconnects and loudspeaker cable to tech+link interconnects and 4mm^2 oxygen free twisted cables. Sound sucked a bit less with new cables, because of less resistance and interference. I accuse Russian radio stations because of all the interference.

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 111
While I can't say I've been committed to rolling power cords for effect, I can say without hesitation that IC rolling has been an eye opener. I, too, use to think the changes discussed on this board were over the top in some cases but after taking some time and really getting into some comparisons, I've become a believer. In my system, the differences between cables were noticable and in some cases pronounced. Guess it depends on your system and hearing but for me, there's no disputing what I heard. IC's can and do make a whale of a difference in my rig.

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 111
You make a valid point, but there is a difference to people (whether it be psychological or not). Most folks want to the get the best they possibly could out of their system, and having and having a bunch of crappy cables makes them nervous
tongue.gif

I've heard differences, and I really don't care if they're psychological or not, cause the difference is still there and I would pay the extra dough to hear it. I'm not one of those people that would pay for a cable that cost as much as my source though (assuming I had a good one). I really don't give a rats ass about the last .5%. If you do, then you're obviously compensating for something, and/or scrutinizing the sound of your headphones to last possible degree rather than enjoying the music at hand.

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 111
I used to be skeptical, until I decided I'd approach this with an open mind, and try it out myself. In my system Powercords and Interconects make an obvious, undeniable differnce, you'd have to be deaf to not hear it.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 111
For all the amplifiers, headphones, tubes, power cables and interconnects, isn't the music that's important?

When you listen to a CD, do you pay attention to the soundstage, dynamics and "air" or the melody, rhythm and soul?

Phreon

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreon
For all the amplifiers, headphones, tubes, power cables and interconnects, isn't the music that's important?

When you listen to a CD, do you pay attention to the soundstage, dynamics and "air" or the melody, rhythm and soul?

Phreon

Significant sonic improvements can enhance the listening experience, but that's not what we're talking about with cables. If cables made a great deal of difference, there wouldn't be an argument, and sound quality degradation from using inferior cables would be clearly apparent from a simple multiple generation test.

Cable fans seem incapable of agreeing upon a quantifying amount of improvement due to cables... some say the improvement is subtle enough to be difficult for them to discern. Others say it's like "night and day". They resist A/B testing, claiming that they get more accurate impressions from isolated long listening sessions. And they refuse to accept any objective testing, arguing that their own solipsist impression is all that matters to them. With that kind of approach, the factual truth regarding the effect of cables on a system isn't going to be revealed to them any time soon.

Cable fans are fine with me... they can spend money on whatever they want. It's just when they recommend cables to other people who might not know better that I start to have a problem.

See ya
Steve

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 111
Quote:

Cable fans seem incapable of agreeing upon a quantifying amount of improvement due to cables... some say the improvement is subtle enough to be difficult for them to discern. Others say it's like "night and day".

That’s because anyone who has actually took the time to swap cables in, and out of various systems knows that the components used, or system used is the deciding factor on how responsive the cable change will be.

Quote:

Cable fans are fine with me... they can spend money on whatever they want. It's just when they recommend cables to other people who might not know better that I start to have a problem.

Cable skeptics are fine with me, and they can use the absolute worst cables they want. It’s just when they start telling people that don’t know any better that cables just don’t make a difference is when I start having a problem.

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 111
All I know is that I can tell a definate difference when rolling cables with a HD-650 & a very slight difference when swapping interconnnects. Cables can make a difference, but spend money on the things that matter most such as cans/speakers, amp & source before spending $$$$ on cables!

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 111
Back in the 70s my older brother use to tell me that to get his stereo to sound right he would always keep the treble knob turned up all of the way.My brother was cheap and always used the free interconnects that came with equipment.Once the signal is lost in poor interconnects,its lost forever.The treble knob is a stop gap procedure at best.I am not sure that spending over $200 for an interconnect is a good value but the first thing one should do when buying new equipment is throw the free cables that come with it into the trash where they belong.

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 111
Ihmemies:

But you have an hd650? A cable swap on it will produce big results. Try it, it's easy.

And there definitely are differences with cables. It depends on your speakers/listening setup will you hear them at all. I broke my qed qunex 2 cables a while ago. I couldn't find them again so I just bought something that costs the same. Van Den Hul "The Name" was my purchase. After a while it seemed that I lost something. Everything was smooth. Too smooth! Music became boring.

I had to seek out Qunex 2 somewhere and put it back in my system. And suddenly, the fun was back. Somehow, "The Name" smoothed things over waaay too much.

I also have an headphile upgrade cable to the hd650 but I prefer stock. So they really do make a difference. It's not about bling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back