cables for HD600: Equinox, BlueDragon, Cardas, other?
Mar 22, 2005 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Darwin022

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I've read some of the varying extensive reviews of the different cables available for the Sennheiser HD600. I think I've narrowed it down to these 3:

- Equinox
- Blue Dragon
- Cardas

I mostly listen to Electronica (techno/trance/etc.) and Rock as well as watch movies with them.

My setup is/will be:
computer+ M-Audio Firewire Audiophile -> homemade Canare StarQuad interconnect -> SuperMacro3 -> [INSERT SENN CABLE HERE]-> Senn HD600

(other cans: Grado 125s, ety er4-p)

I'm looking to spend under $200 on the re-cable, so the Zu is out. I also need it to still be 9-10 feet.

I've read the reviews, most of them seem to favor the Equinox and Blue Dragon... any thoughts? Thanks!

(yes, This should probably be in cables/tweaks, oops, sorry)

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 43
Don't forget the headphile black silver and black max Senn cables. They're very good for the money, the black silver was the cable I used when I had a pair of HD600s and I thought it was better than the cardas and equinox cables (never heard the moon audio or zu cables).

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Don't forget the headphile black silver and black max Senn cables. They're very good for the money, the black silver was the cable I used when I had a pair of HD600s and I thought it was better than the cardas and equinox cables (never heard the moon audio or zu cables).

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
yeah, I looked at the headphile one. I didn't really want to have to bother sending my stock cable in. Yeah, it's only $20 more to not send a "core" in, but dunno. What did it do to the sound (bass, mid, high, clarity, etc.)? I haven't seen much about it, but yeah, it does seel like a very good cable for the $$$

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 43
I have tin ears, so take this with a grain of salt, but it makes no sense to me to spend $200 on cables for a $200 pair of headphones, especially when (to my ears) the difference in sound is pretty marginal.

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ns6490
I have tin ears, so take this with a grain of salt, but it makes no sense to me to spend $200 on cables for a $200 pair of headphones, especially when (to my ears) the difference in sound is pretty marginal.

It all depends on system synergy and your source. The difference between oehlbach, stock and headphile cables are pretty apparent to my ears. Not at all marginal.

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 43
Of three you have mentioned I like the equinox better than the others with the HD60. I like it more than the Zu also with the 600. In my system the Blue dragon seemed to have a hard edge to it. The Cardas is very good at making the senn sound better but very much the same as it does with the stock cord. (increased detail and a little cleaner) The equinox to my ears adds body and really makes the senn. HD600 sound better than any of the other cables.
All that said...I would sell the 600's and put that money with your cable money and get a pr. of 650's with stock cable.
580smile.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
It all depends on system synergy and your source. The difference between oehlbach, stock and headphile cables are pretty apparent to my ears. Not at all marginal.

would you care to do a scientific double blind test? i'd be happy to help you plan one.

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 43
I echo my opinion with Tom. The Equinox is definitely the best cable for the HD-600/580 even the Jubilee. It is a very balanced cable with plenty of details. It also extend the bass and treble extension along with sense of air and sparkle. I'm not a big fan of Cardas cable, so I won't comment beyond that.

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 43
In my setup I liked the HD 600 best with the Silver Dragon. The Headphile Silver is also worth a recommendation. I have no experience with Equinox and Cardas. I'd say it also depends on system synergy when it comes to the best matching cable.

peacesign.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
would you care to do a scientific double blind test? i'd be happy to help you plan one.

Your Honor, I move to strike on the grounds that this is a DBT-free forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks

Why? To prove that there is a difference? The difference is bigger than with a 192kbps mp3 versus a cd. I mean it is pretty apparent. No need to prove anything, if you don't believe me then don't. I was a non-believer too, until I tried the Oehlbach. There was a significant difference (not for the better though). Headphile Silver works a lot better for my system.

Mar 22, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Why? To prove that there is a difference? The difference is bigger than with a 192kbps mp3 versus a cd. I mean it is pretty apparent.

Then you're the perfect candidate to put all of this 'skeptic' nonsense to rest- you'll have no trouble whatsoever in a DBT and if I were you, I'd be eager to participate.

I'm with Phil, though- unless someone specifically invites the discussion, let's remember that this forum is supposed to remain free of the requirements of proof for things like this.

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 43
Whatever you buy, only go through with an aftermarket cable for the Sennheisers if you already like their sound, and just want to make what you already hear slightly better. I haven't ever heard a cable transform a piece of equipment's sonic qualities dramatically before.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back