Cable Truths and Myths.
Oct 17, 2009 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 261

ford2

Headphoneus Supremus
People with inquiring minds might find the link below very interesting.
It might be old hat to some of the established members but VERY worthwhile reading for those interested in cables and there effects,and even those that just want a good read.
The only ones who consider this not a good read will be those who have invested (wasted) heaps on cables.

However I have an open mind,and if these pages are read with an open mind then you can make up your mind.

Linky::Cables, Interconnects and Other Stuff - The Truth

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 261
This most likely will get ugly.
popcorn.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 261
This guy does not use anything but the cheap stuff to prove his point on cables. Nothing with Silver, Rhodium, Gold, Palladium, Silver plated copper, cryo, ETC..... All Copper and Brass. Doesn't help me a bit.

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 261
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This guy does not use anything but the cheap stuff to prove his point on cables. Nothing with Silver, Rhodium, Gold, Palladium, Silver plated copper, cryo, ETC..... All Copper and Brass. Doesn't help me a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA
recable with Silver plated copper, Custom power cables,Custom IC's and Audio grade fuses

Really? Audio grade fuses? If only biases in the media were this transparent.

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 261
Quite a few errors I saw from just skimming the article, even about things that don't have anything to do with cables. In any event, since the article also relies to a great extent on DBT's, this is probably more appropriate for the Sound Science forum.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 261
That was a good read. Thanks for posting it.

It is interesting to note that the article says this dbate has raged since the late 1970s.

Since, there have been tens of thousands of cables produced and many millions in revenue generated by them. Yet no manufacturer has ever presented evidence that their products work as advertised. Curiously, even cable advertising carefully stays a step back from anything that could be construed as a legal guarantee.

Another curious point is that if the "benefits" of cables truly existed, then they would certainly have industrial applications, as well. You'd think these magical properties would show effects on microprocessors and, well, anything that uses electricity. If the benefits existed, then it would be highly likely that these benefits would be thoroughly researched and used in solar cells, batteries, electric motors, and much else.

Which would make it likely that there would be extensive research by corporations, research universities and military contractors.

Oh, and there's usually a strong amateur level of research into science. Just look a the achievements in amateur astronomy and amateur radio. Each has a strong following with lots of scholarly - and useful - work done by hobbyists.

So, where is all of this for cables? How come it isn't there?

It is very, very curious that the only ones who bang the drum for cables are those who make them. And make massive profits from selling cables. Being able to take $50 of materials and sell them for a few thousand... few industries can achieve that.

Which leads to another amazing coincidence. Usually, when a good is sold for a
amazing profits, it gets reverse engineered and produced less expensively, so people can have the benefit at a fair price. Yet that doesn't happen. Funny thing, too, because the only IP on cables are the brand logos and trademarks. But those don't do anything for the sound, do they?

There is another industry that makes massive profits from assembling inexpensive parts, incorporating a logo and trademark, then selling them at very high prices. That industry doesn't have much IP, either.

That's the fashion industry. Which seems eerily similar to the cable industry. Throwing together $20 of material can make a jacket that sells for $1,000. Which might not be technically better than a $40 coat at Wal-Mart. However, some will pay $960 more for that amazing logo.

I'd say that the cable/tweak market is almost exactly the same as the fashion market. People buy fashion for prestige and status. Which is likely the same reason people pay big bucks for a cable. A $500 cashmere sweater won't keep you any warmer than a $20 sweatshirt, but the $500 sweater says something about the status of its wearer.

Which is why people buy cables. The evidence against them is insurmountable. There is nothing there. If there is, it would have been adopted for industrial use and people would be earning Ph.D.s studying their material science. Hobbyists would be tweaking and publishing their research. Other companies would have come in with cables that offer all the benefits without the markup. And no one has ever heard a difference without seeing the logo. Ever.

So if the believers want to drop a few thousand on their audio wardrobe and sniff at the less fashionable, fine. I have some expensive clothes that I enjoy. But I'd never think them superior to what's offered at Target. If I want to stay warm and be protected from the elements, a $10 shirt works as well as a $500 one. But I don't think a cable fashionista would ever concede that point.

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 261
I must admit that after reading it ALL I tend to believe a lot of what he says.He offers a lot of facts in a very creditable way.
Its quite interesting looking around the rest of the site as well,he comes across as a man that knows what he is talking about.
What is more he has nothing to gain from it.
If you have a look around the rest of the site it is very interesting.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 261
So, Erik, in keeping with your fashion analogy, when you a need to be taken seriously, you wear the good clothes, no? Job interviews, public speaking engagements, etc. warrant the expensive stuff.

Is it unreasonable, then, for those who wish to have their reviews taken seriously to also "wear the good stuff"?

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 261
Oct 18, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 261
If a cable is just a cable why replace the cheap crap you get with your dvd player.. Why not just get the cheapest cable from radio shack. They all work the same. Cables are not all equal. I bought 6.00 PS3 component cables then I got the rainbow effect on my screen. I would get green, red, then blue... So, I bought the official Sony PS3 component cables for 20.00. Guess what. Beautiful picture. No rainbow crap, so please don't tell me all cables are the same. Sorry. Quality matters. I do love my 13.00 Belkin RCA though.. But might get the OXY fuel or side winders for 60% off. I enjoy my BOK/Mother MK PC. Would never pay retail for them, but feel they improve my system. Hell, I even prefer my cheaper Belkins to my 80.00 Cardas silver RCA, which shocked me. I guess Plecebo is hit or miss. I'm a cable believer to a point. I'm more of the, they will influence the sound then better the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back