Cable setup for portable amp on desktop
Jun 25, 2008 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bwfilho

New Head-Fier
Hi guys
Im going to purchase a PA2V2 with a Grado SR225, and I will connect it on my X-Fi XtremeMusic and on my 5.5g iPod

For the iPod, I will get this LOD, which is the same type of the iBasso's mini-to-mini cables (silver-braided copper):
DSC_5331-1.jpg

IPOD LINE OUT DOCK WITH CABLE & PLUG (BLACK COLOR) - eBay (item 290240089367 end time Jun-22-08 19:48:05 PDT)

But I'm also looking for a better mini-to-mini cable than the one Gary sends with the PA2V2.. but I dont know which to get.
I saw this Kimber cable @headroom, it is the perfect size for my desktop, is it of a good quality?
0050160075_565.jpg

Kimber Mini to Mini (1ft) @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

There is also this one, which uses the same plug than the LOD I showed here, and apparently also the silver-braided copper with fabric shielding it:
DSC_1453.jpg

"NORDOST" MINI TO MINI CABLE FOR HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 290239653121 end time Jun-24-08 20:45:15 PDT)

This one is smaller, I would preffer the Kimber for the size, but is it worth it sound-wise?
Thank you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 5
You won't hear a difference in cables with a PA2V2 (or arguably ever). As the previous poster said, invest any money you were thinking of putting in fancy cables into your amp, then get someone to DIY you cables to your exact specs.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't hear a difference in cables with a PA2V2 (or arguably ever). As the previous poster said, invest any money you were thinking of putting in fancy cables into your amp, then get someone to DIY you cables to your exact specs.

Head Fi'er Turbo makes awesome cables that are very reasonably priced, and he'll make them to your specs. Might be a good middle ground, although in my limited (but so far ridiculously expensive
icon10.gif
) experience, I gotta agree that $100 more for an amp = better bang than $100 more for cables. OTOH, eventually you'll end up spending all your money on gear anyway, so might as well get the upgraded amp AND the cables, then start saving up for new cans and repeat entire process until broke.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ira

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head Fi'er Turbo makes awesome cables that are very reasonably priced, and he'll make them to your specs. Might be a good middle ground, although in my limited (but so far ridiculously expensive
icon10.gif
) experience, I gotta agree that $100 more for an amp = better bang than $100 more for cables. OTOH, eventually you'll end up spending all your money on gear anyway, so might as well get the upgraded amp AND the cables, then start saving up for new cans and repeat entire process until broke.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ira

I've had good experiences with stevenkelby for cable making. I believe he's also cheaper than TURBO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back