Cable Reccomendation...I can't wait for reviews...
Feb 7, 2002 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Owen Meany

New Head-Fier
I have been reading reviews here, thanks Jude, and other places..and no review has really "spoke" to my wishes and wants..So, I try it like this: I have a Ear Max, HD600 and a Rega Planet (non 2000), I am looking for a cable that will introduce more detail and more air: Reccomendations?

I realize that almost anything silver will get me my desired detail, so then comes the "airey-ness" I am trying to acheive...Can anyone make some recomendations? Cost sub 500 new or used...

Sould I try rolling tubes?

Thanks, jb

Feb 7, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Owen Meany
I have been reading reviews here, thanks Jude, and other places..and no review has really "spoke" to my wishes and wants..So, I try it like this: I have a Ear Max, HD600 and a Rega Planet (non 2000), I am looking for a cable that will introduce more detail and more air: Reccomendations?

I realize that almost anything silver will get me my desired detail, so then comes the "airey-ness" I am trying to acheive...Can anyone make some recomendations? Cost sub 500 new or used...

I have a pre-2K Rega Planet, and that has always been a dark-ish CD player (I like it, so I prefer the term "solid"). I have found a certain amount of air and detail by adding a MSB Tech Link DAC III. I think I saw an ad at Toys in the Attic for one with upsampling for US$399, which struck me as a great deal.

Recommend you find a way to audition it first, though. An external DAC is almost heresy on a Rega Planet.

Feb 7, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 6
DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 series II - the best damn cables I have ever auditioned. I'm gonna buy 10 meters worth. Some people complain that they sound bright (due to silver coating?). I have heard them through dark sounding speakers (same ones that I have) so I didn't experience that.

Feb 9, 2002 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 6
I also looked for an interconnect for my HD600/MGhead/Rega Planet combo.

Found DH Labs were definitely brighter. Detail was up, but so were the upper mids and some highs. A bright cable. Too bright for me, artificially so. So no Silversonics. I am happy with the Straightwire Encore II interconnects. Do the job for me.

The next biggest improvement were the Clou Red's for the HD600's. These made a BIG difference. All the benefits of silver coated cable without the harsh "glare" of the Silversonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back