Cable for incoming amp.
Feb 5, 2008 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, school me on what cable I should buy, I have an upcoming amp coming from jgonino and it's a cmoy v1.48 with bass boost and low gain, but no volume control. I was hoping you guys could help me find a cable or (LOD?) to connect my ipod to this amp. I saw an iPod lod, but how exactly does that work, and do I need a special type of amp for this...how exactly does the audio work out of that...but please, I'm new to amps and amp connections, please help, all i have is a 3 foot line-in cable that came with a cowon player (male-to-male).

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 18
LOD=line out dock connector. It connects to the ipod's dock connector for audio out which is much better than the headphone out. The LOD then connects thru a mini 1/8" connector to a amp. The problem with a LOD though is you cant control the volume using the ipod anymore, you need to use a amp and since your amp doesnt have a volume control i'm not sure how that would work. If your amp doesnt have a volume control you can just simply get a 1/8" to 1/8" connector and use the ipod's headphone out. Sound quality wont be as good as through the dock but it would work with your amp. The male-to-male cable that came with your cowon would work if its 1/8" to 1/8"

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 18
Yeah, it is, but I've only seen on HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears has a Cardas 6inch mini-to-mini, I was wondering if anyone else made a sturdy cable (mini-to-mini), but the cardas cable seems sufficient. I would love to use the cowon line-in cable, but it's about 3 foot long, which is fine for my computer, but not for my iPod.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 18
Head-Fi ForSale forum in the Cables section.......Look for a LOD there, prolly get one for about $30us, maybe even cheaper if ya wait.
I cant see spending more on a cable for a Cmoy amp on an Ipod.
Also for best improvement,use good headphones. Good headphones will probably make more difference than the Cmoy will.
smily_headphones1.gif
GoodLuck with it .

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 18
If you are handy with DIY you could just shorten the cable that came with your Cowon.

Otherwise look for a cheap mini to mini cable, because if you use a line out dock you will not be able to control the volume using the iPod.

Most of the LODs i have seen sell from around $30 onwards so it's not much sense to buy one too...

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 18
well if I adjust the volume before I plug in the LOD would that work? Because it's rair that I ever touch the volume. it usually goes ~halfway and then I just put it on hold...so would that work?

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 18
no, it wouldn't work, because what the line-out does is bypass the volume control completely. If i were you i'd install a volume pot on that cMoy

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, it wouldn't work, because what the line-out does is bypass the volume control completely. If i were you i'd install a volume pot on that cMoy

I would but I have not electronical experience at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look @ Head-Direct.com

I have the "ZY Hi-End Mini-Mini Cable" and it's absolutely a killer cable, just fantastic. And for a real world price, unlike others.

That's a little over what I intended to pay. I knew I wasn't going to pay only 5 , but I'll probably just buy the one from HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 18
Just post in the diy forum asking for someone to make you a mini to mini. You cannot use a LOD, because it outputs at full volume regardless of the volume set on the player/ipod.

PS. I shipped that amp today, you should have it Thursday or Friday.

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 18
I'm at odds why you would even buy an amp without volume control (little confused guy goes here) What exactly does a volume controless amp actually do?

But I will say unlike most mini to mini scenario's where your amping an already amped signal which is really no better and often worse than the DAP's headphone out!

If your going to use a portable amp off iPod the LOD is the only improvement in SQ IMHO :wink:

I use a ALO Bling Bling LOD between my U2 pod and Tomahawk and you need to hear this type setup with your SR-60's, UE's & ER's for sure. I have all three of the phones and can attest:)

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 18
Generally, what you say is true, however I noticed an increase in AQ when using this amp with the headphone out of my dap. The bass boost is really nice with the sr-60s.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just post in the diy forum asking for someone to make you a mini to mini. You cannot use a LOD, because it outputs at full volume regardless of the volume set on the player/ipod.

PS. I shipped that amp today, you should have it Thursday or Friday.

Thank you, yours shouldn't take long either
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm at odds why you would even buy an amp without volume control (little confused guy goes here) What exactly does a volume controless amp actually do?

But I will say unlike most mini to mini scenario's where your amping an already amped signal which is really no better and often worse than the DAP's headphone out!

If your going to use a portable amp off iPod the LOD is the only improvement in SQ IMHO :wink:

I use a ALO Bling Bling LOD between my U2 pod and Tomahawk and you need to hear this type setup with your SR-60's, UE's & ER's for sure. I have all three of the phones and can attest:)

Yeah, It has a bass boost and gain control, so the advantage, is it will add bass to my Ety's, which need it, and get rid of the hiss when I use IEM's with my iPod.
biggrin.gif
I looked at the one three3three3 sales on ebay, it's version 2.00 (is that the right seller?) and he has it up for bid, so I'll get my next amp with a volume control from him or go to PenguinAmp.com and get that one :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back