Cable burn in -- what are the arguments in favor, if any?
May 26, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #16 of 74
get used to it 3phi, life is a big unfolding mess! roll with it and do so with an open mind and you'll turn that frustration into pure wonder at what the creator has done here! And don't go to college or they'll teach you there was no creator. the lesser colleges anyway

May 26, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #19 of 74
  beg pard, although i'm not convinced all that is taught there is legit (although I don't disagree what you are referring to is) and even what is correct is only known at this point in the unfolding of creation. Or did your college teach that creation is fully unfolded or that it doesn't unfold like a magic carpet?  To think that we know for certain a cable only has 3 properties seems capricious (collegiate term) - I had to look it up.

That's so rediculous that it's not even funny. Well go ahead and believe in magic carpets and live in the past. There is no magic in this stuff.

May 26, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 74
what if you don't see it? your own precious science has proven 99% of what is 'here' is dark matter and not even perceptable by vision or anything else other than math equations. To think you've studied 1% of what is IS and think you've nailed down all it's properties is magical thinking by definition

May 26, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #24 of 74
  what if you don't see it? your own precious science has proven 99% of what is 'here' is dark matter and not even perceptable by vision or anything else other than math equations. To think you've studied 1% of what is IS and think you've nailed down all it's properties is magical thinking by definition

It's kind of exactly to my original point, I think, that this thread has so quickly gone so far off topic, but what the heck, I'll chase the rabbit down the hole for a bit.

Dark matter is currently theorized to only be about 85%, but that's a quibble.  You are wrong, however.  It is perceptible, albeit indirectly, which is how we know it exists.  That's based on a huge body of extremely careful and rigorous deductions, built on direct observational evidence and logic, which has been tested by literally thousands of people whose life's work is to think about, test, and study such things, and think about whether they got anything wrong, and fix it.  That's the "math equations" part I suppose.  Your comment implies that you feel that anything that is described by an equation has some kind of taint to it and in some way inhabits a lesser order of reality--we wouldn't even be having this conversation without the math equations that enabled the creation of the internet, computers, and so much more, so don't dismiss them so lightly.

You are also wrong in assuming, as you seem to, that anyone thinks we know everything.  Of course we don't.  This gets back to my earlier comment though--just because there exist some things that we do not know, does not mean that we can't know anything with certainty.  The name "dark matter" is a placeholder because while we can tell that it does exist, and describe its qualities somewhat, we still can't see it directly.  But those gaps in our knowledge doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or that we can't know anything about it at all.

This line of discussion I think touches on exactly what I was driving at when I opened the thread.  Burn-in adherents very quickly dive for high-concept epistemological cover when their views are challenged, or when they are asked to provide actual evidence that supports their theories.

May 26, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #25 of 74
get back to me when you and you're science discovers a cure for anything, even the common cold still exists. . Until I see some results from your camp, I'll stick with magic which so far has a better cure rate and overall remedy and explanation for life's ill's.

also, you haven't recognized the possibilty that something like burnin can exist but not be easily quantified. To take this logic, it's almost the same as mine in reverse. You won't believe it exists until it's shown scientifically. How is that not a limiting epistemology?

and I disagree this is any way off topic, it's right on...how is this a rabbit hole of any kind? Since one can prove anything either way all we have is theory and discussion. I know you just want the hard facts but some things are not possible.

May 26, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #26 of 74
To take this logic, it's almost the same as mine in reverse. You won't believe it exists until it's shown scientifically. How is that not a limiting epistemology?

Limiting? It gave you the computer you're using to write this drivel with.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/theodoric-of-york/n8661

se

May 26, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 74
oh, here come the reinforcements... who said science and tech has not produced anything of value? however one could argue as the amish might, that things ain't any better since the digital age. They have zero autism for example whereas it is projected 1 in 3 kids will have it out here in your great scientific experiement. Add 1 out of 2 with cancer and you still want to grandstand and take credit for this mess ?

May 27, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 74
Hi Steve! What's happening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back