c-Jays Review
Mar 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #76 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! We really wanted to create something you could wear and that even girls could be able to wear. Most headphones today is very boy-biased unfortunatly. Star trek here we go sort of. We like it much more clean and balanced to the eye.. Maybe because we are Scandinavians
wink.gif

i totally the agree. Every girl that's seen my c-Jays agrees that they look "pretty"
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #77 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! We really wanted to create something you could wear and that even girls could be able to wear. Most headphones today is very boy-biased unfortunatly. Star trek here we go sort of. We like it much more clean and balanced to the eye.. Maybe because we are Scandinavians
wink.gif

Yeah. Personally, I can't stand those chunky designs that look like they are from 80's. I can't say who make them but, cough*cough*monster*cough*skullcandy*cough*cough, every time I see them I just laugh.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #78 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. Personally, I can't stand those chunky designs that look like they are from 80's. I can't say who make them but, cough*cough*monster*cough*skullcandy*cough*cough, every time I see them I just laugh.

Skullcandy is just a big joke that everyone knows and likes...Monster. What? Yes, we're talking about the "BIG ALL mIGHTY" "Dr.dre" headphones. Absolute rubbish...$350...I can get stuff million times better....

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #79 of 152
I got a pair of the c-jays two weeks ago. The sound was initially disappointing as only the small thin pads would allow for an adequate amount of bass. The medium and large pads made everything sound distant and muffled. I do like their construction they are the only over-the-head phones that fit my size 8 noggin comfortably. After listening to the small pads over the last two weeks, I thought maybe drivers had loosened up enough to try the larger pads again.

Wow!! These cans definitely benefit from the burn-in period. The medium pads sound great now with a nice blend of bass response and soundstage. I think they are still in the burning in and will try the large pads in another week or so. I like the increased isolation of the large pads but they still sound a bit weak.

I'm using them with the Nu-force Icon Mobile plugged into my workstation in the office fed by foobar2000. My only other complaint so far is their fit in the included bag. It seems like a very tight squeeze. How are you other owners managing to put them back into the pouch?

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #80 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmantone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a pair of the c-jays two weeks ago. The sound was initially disappointing as only the small thin pads would allow for an adequate amount of bass. The medium and large pads made everything sound distant and muffled. I do like their construction they are the only over-the-head phones that fit my size 8 noggin comfortably. After listening to the small pads over the last two weeks, I thought maybe drivers had loosened up enough to try the larger pads again.

Wow!! These cans definitely benefit from the burn-in period. The medium pads sound great now with a nice blend of bass response and soundstage. I think they are still in the burning in and will try the large pads in another week or so. I like the increased isolation of the large pads but they still sound a bit weak.

I'm using them with the Nu-force Icon Mobile plugged into my workstation in the office fed by foobar2000. My only other complaint so far is their fit in the included bag. It seems like a very tight squeeze. How are you other owners managing to put them back into the pouch?

With the pads on there is no way I can squeeze them in the pouch.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #81 of 152
When you've got over 70 pairs of headphones knocking about, you soon find your favourites, the headphones you use on a regular basis. There are headphones I get excited about for a few weeks, then comes the new pair, and you move on.

With the c-jays however, they get used on a near daily basis. I use them to take to the art studio at uni, that's where i use them the most. however i do use them at home in bed as well, and when I'm cooking!

if the c-jays are your main headphones, then fair enough, but when you've got 70 pairs, and they're still your main headphones, that's gotta say something!

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #82 of 152
My fist post here, what brings me here:
I joined up ages ago and didn't keep a habit of it, but recently I got an itch and this place is certainly the place to help scratch it! My headphone history: I got some DT990 pros a few years back because they provided the most bang for the buck of what I could try - with a basic cmoy they're pretty nice, and I used them for a while as my out and about cans, but they are a bit ridiculous for that. They're heavy and big, the weight of the headband on the top of my head would give me a headache and whilst they keep my neck warm when I'm not wearing them, you don't always want to have them on display, and the killer was that the big jack on them with their heavy cable would put strain on the sockets of the cmoy and one or other ear would lose sound as I walked - I put it down to the quality of the sockets on the cmoy, changed them; same... At this point, having no money, I got some cheap sennheiser buds, but didn't listen to music much on the go... A while later, and with a little money I made an airport impulse buy of some shure se110s which did a job, and made me at least listen to music on the go again. Fast forward to two weeks ago... I was listening to a track on a Dave Brubeck album and there was a kettle drum which sounded distant and poor, recessed, lacking in presence and sparkle - very irritating. I got home and put on the DT990s and dug out the cmoy, I found that the extension cable of the se110s into the 990s solved the problem with the cmoy sockets, so I ordered a portable LOD to replace the desktop apple item... The 990s are nice, smooth and involving with quite an open soundstage, I don't need the amount of bass, although it doesn't bother me, and the trebles could be a bit waring, so I modded them with some felt over the front of the drivers and that helped calm the treble (after research on headfi). But the Beyers are still useless to me as an outdoor headphone.
Well lots of digging around made me thing that whilst the c-jays are not going to do everything for me, they might be the best compromise... So here I am with c-jays and very happy.
Thanks for all of the information - it was really useful in deciding to get the c-jays. I got mine exactly 25 hours ago, and they've been on my head (or burning pink noise under a pillow) for all of those hours.
At first they sound nasty (as I expected them to initially sound, but more), no bass with the big pads, sibilant, harsh, lacking in detail. SOme stuff sounded OK, but I listen mainly to modern jazz and most trumpets sounded like harsh deafening squarks and little more. Four hours bought in a really pleasing bass - not big but it's there when it's there in the recording, rather like the bass of my Nakanishi Superswans (which are full range driver back loaded horns, and not particularly bass laden, but it's there in a nice controlled way, and the jays currently present bass in a similar way with the big pads), about eight hours in and Chet Baker, whose voice had been constricted to a thin whine and whose trumpet had been one of those nasty squarks was sounding musical, it's better still now. The c-jays are getting smoother and more musical all the time... Roll on more hours. I already prefer these to the DT990s. They're more forward (I'm using the big pads), and obviously lack the bass, but they make the 990's sound a bit syrupy, and they're starting to show or perhaps exceed the amount of detail that the 990s reveal. I like using the Battlestar Gallactica series one album as a test, and there are bits where you get a sound that sneaks up on you ands sounds like a noise in the room outside the headphone and then you realise it's in the music, well I notice more of that with the c-jays than with the 990s. I think and hope the treble will improve more, and I hope that MaoDi's words about the bass and mid becoming more lush with extended burn in will also be right, Atomic Basie is still a bit squarky.

Well, the point is that I wanted to thank you guys, and to confirm what you've said about the way these things improve with even a modest amount of burn in. I can only compare them to my 990's in terms of decent headphones, but they do really well in the context of the Beyers already.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #84 of 152
I tried the Px200 in a store playing straight from an ipod a while ago, didn't find it remotely as convincing as the c-jays are already, in fact I tried them and moved on... That said, I'm nearly 48 hours into burn in and the complex high mids that predominate in 'Kid From Red Bank' on Atomic Basie still aren't resolving properly (getting better, but still not there), Maria Callas ain't too nice either yet, and I suspect the Sens wouldn't be so picky out of the box, but not so involving either. Given what other people say about the way the upper mids / lower treble settle down with more burn in, the c-jays should have it easily (I only have a small issue with rather few tracks now - and getting less and with fewer tracks).
The PX will isolate better being closed, but then I got the c-jays in part because I like the open sound of open cans (which they have with the big pads). If noise leakage on public transport is a problem then the c-jays will be a bit of a problem. I'd have thought that an open PX100 would be a better like for like comparison, they're the open equivalent of the 200, I wasn't crazy about them either. Or portapros, which I haven't tried.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #85 of 152
I've got about 120 hours on mine now. The detail of the mid highs is getting clearer, and what was an unbearable mess of that Bassie track I mentioned is now quite listenable if not fantastic fun.
I plugged them into my macbook pro and listened to some frequencies generated by AudioTest and by listening compared the c-jays with mid sized pads on to the Beyerdynamic 990 pros. The Beyer sounds fairly flat all the way up and down. The c-jays are far from that. c-jays pick up 20HZ but the volume increased gradually to about 75-80Hz (990 have flat volume through that range), then at about 1600Hz the c-jays' volume starts going up more spiking at 3000ish, then down a lot to about 4600Hz, a smaller spike at 7000Hz and then slowly down, perhaps with some small ups and downs to the point that I can't hear anything at about 17000Hz. When I play a low frequency through the 990s you just get the slightly undefined quality of the bass, playing through the c-jays I hear a hardness to the bass as if it was supported by higher frequencies. That spike in volume at 3000Hz or so seems to be what makes these a difficult headphone for some music. The Beyers seemed surprisingly flat - I'd always supposed that they have a v shaped sound with excess bass and treble, but that wasn't apparent, and the differences between the HPs were very obvious indeed. I love the c-jays though.
Does this relate to other peoples listening experience of the c-jays?

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #88 of 152
I just got some portapros through the post and of course out of the box and without burn in the bass bloat is nasty and anything else in not discernible.

I put the large c-jay pads on the portapros, just over the stock pads and immediately even without burn in they sound quite balanced and pleasant (really not far off the sound of the DT990's, obviously without the level of detail) - really something.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #89 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got some portapros through the post and of course out of the box and without burn in the bass bloat is nasty and anything else in not discernible.

I put the large c-jay pads on the portapros, just over the stock pads and immediately even without burn in they sound quite balanced and pleasant (really not far off the sound of the DT990's, obviously without the level of detail) - really something.

That was soooooo much better
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
:bigs mile_face:
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back