c-Jays Review
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #46 of 152
My friends, after about 300 hours of burn in, my c-jays's low ends have become much more powerful and deep, highs are more refined, mids are more lush and delicious. I love them even more now =D

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #47 of 152
how big a difference do you think the burn in makes, i got a pair this morning and my first thoughts on putting them on was not exactly positive, would you say worth letting burn in for a few days before going back to them?

they are sitting in the kitchen playing pink noise in the hope it will improve them.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #48 of 152
Burn-ni should be on your head and not in the kitchen, IMO burn-in is taking part just as much in your head as in the phones.

With that said I think that the c-JAYS does get better with time, it is also a matter of choosing the right pads, a Kramer coin-mod on the smallest cussions is worth a try, it "opens" up the sound and gives more space and air to the music, if you do not like the small pads it really can not hurt to try it..

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #49 of 152
actually i think i preferred the small pads as they sounded the least muffled but frankly im not loving any of the pads comfort wise. atm cant mod them as have agreed to review them for jays. just wondered if the difference was big enough to warrent delaying things, dont want to unduly rate them based on the sound of the box if things really improve.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #50 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually i think i preferred the small pads as they sounded the least muffled but frankly im not loving any of the pads comfort wise. atm cant mod them as have agreed to review them for jays. just wondered if the difference was big enough to warrent delaying things, dont want to unduly rate them based on the sound of the box if things really improve.

In my case, they didn't sound much different after 100+hr mark. At first, I thought I'd settle with the small pads, too, since they provide the most easy sound out of all three but swapping to different phones right after made me realize how muffle it sounded. Switching to mid pads made them sound more like HFI-780's, harsh at times (depending on the record) , but most balanced overall.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #51 of 152
i did actually commfort wise initially like the big pads but after a while they just began to kill, they just rested on the bottom tip of my ear, actually rather liked holding the big foampad tight o my ears though closing htem off a touch. seemed to calm down the harshness, the small pads sounded cleaner but my ears just kept wanting them turned down

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #52 of 152
Mark, to your burn-in question. My pair had a big difference after 300 hours, the soundstage widened, the lows were more powerful, mids were lusher. it was just Better overall. I think it was worth it.

I'm no sure about your comfort problems as i haven't had problems with comfort, all the pads fit comfortably on my ears.

Maybe give it sometime and see if things sort out, if not. i guess c-Jays are just not the headphones for you.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #53 of 152
ok i let the sit and burn in for a while, i never really use the comp theyre plugged into anyway. hopeing they will really improve in the way the c751's did and the IE7's but had a look round the net for other review and they really dont seem to be very well loved.

i really want to like them

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #54 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok i let the sit and burn in for a while, i never really use the comp theyre plugged into anyway. hopeing they will really improve in the way the c751's did and the IE7's but had a look round the net for other review and they really dont seem to be very well loved.

i really want to like them

Where have you been looking on the net mark? recently, 6 review sites gave them 90% and over on reviews...

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #56 of 152
I remember ilounge not being too keen on c-jays.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #57 of 152
I really do not like the smal pads, and in the beginning I used the big but I ended up whit the middle one, maybe that was due to burnin ???

But for now mine are modded to the extreme......And does drivers can really deliver..

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #58 of 152
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now.
Started off with 100 hours burn-in with pink noise.
Not much difference.
I tried the different pads:
The big ones: too sharp highs and undefined bass
The small pads: too forward, made me tired.
I settled on the medium pads. For lack of better really.
I am up to now not impressed by their sound. The best I can come up with to describe it is bland. They have no sparkle, little detail and dynamics are also not top notch.
They perform much better with an amp than without. A desktop amp makes them more lively, but does not make them sound great.
Build quality I like. I like it that I can just fold them up and shove them into my pocket.
What I don't like is that it is almost impossible to distinguish left and right markings: the are behind the pads and very difficult to read. I actually want some mark on either side like Senn has, so you can feel which side is left or right without having to look.
Soundwise I hope some more burn-in will help them. Otherwise they they remain just "not too bad", but not very satisfying either.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #60 of 152
Claus-DK, how did you mod 'em?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back