C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Apr 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,846 of 3,421
Yeah, BH isn't bright - its presentation is a bit cold but nothing like being bright or boosting the treble aside from the very top, which adds a hair more air (yeah I'm good with the rhymes) with the LF switch. As far as burn-in - the BH is a lot smoother now as most of the dryness disappeared. It is smoother on low gain though. High gain gives a bit tighter sound but it's also more aggressive, which may sound to most people better and more impressive if their headphones have a smoother presentation but headphones that already are aggressive can get a little too edgy and tiring. I do go with low gain most of the time.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,847 of 3,421
kova, you have pretty much hit the nail o the head, yes IEM dependent. My MTPC`s which I find as an almost "Industrial", clinical sounding at times IEM do not sound great with the amp.
My W4 iems love it. It may be down to the quality of drivers used, whether it is BA or dynamic.

Could you imagine if everybody heard everything the same? Hello Head-Fi, hello 1 thread.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,848 of 3,421
Kova, Synth, pretty much agree on your findings. Synth, yes, quality of drivers does matter IMHO too. Also i sometimes toy with out1 which is more neutral and analytical sounding but for rich and joyful sound one must use out2. And high gain works well for me only on out2 while i also sometimes choose more relaxed presentation with high gain put off. Another finding i made is that i prefer my TF10 with BH when high gain is off while EB50 sings better with HG on. In my book BH loves balanced armatures better as is C3.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,849 of 3,421
Quote:
kova, you have pretty much hit the nail o the head, yes IEM dependent. My MTPC`s which I find as an almost "Industrial", clinical sounding at times IEM do not sound great with the amp.
My W4 iems love it. It may be down to the quality of drivers used, whether it is BA or dynamic.

Could you imagine if everybody heard everything the same? Hello Head-Fi, hello 1 thread.

I found my Monster Turbine Pro Golds to be a little veiled up top and the BH really does a nice job with the highs on them.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,850 of 3,421
Quote:

I found my Monster Turbine Pro Golds to be a little veiled up top and the BH really does a nice job with the highs on them.

They sound more fun/warm than the coppers then. If I had to be honest I would say the MTPC are better on the highs (less sibilant and harsh) but lesser on the lows than the Denon C751`s. That was soo nearly the perfect fun iem.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,851 of 3,421
Quote:

They sound more fun/warm than the coppers then. If I had to be honest I would say the MTPC are better on the highs (less sibilant and harsh) but lesser on the lows than the Denon C751`s. That was soo nearly the perfect fun iem.

The low end on the Golds is fantastic but yes a little on the warm side and I like a little more crispness on top. They are a good match with the BH.

May 1, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #1,852 of 3,421
I just bought one of these to pair up with some SE535s. Passed up a JBS C421. I was on the fence about getting this but I don't think there's really anything else out there in this price point. Always disappointed with FIIO and Nuforce stuff. Really want a pico slim but budget won't allow it for a while. We'll see how much I like this.

May 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #1,853 of 3,421
Quote:
I just bought one of these to pair up with some SE535s. Passed up a JBS C421. I was on the fence about getting this but I don't think there's really anything else out there in this price point. Always disappointed with FIIO and Nuforce stuff. Really want a pico slim but budget won't allow it for a while. We'll see how much I like this.

I've used this with the 535s, I think they pair quite well together.
Pardon me for being unable to describe the lows/mids/highs (not really good at this stuff) but the soundstage does seem to increase with the SF switch on.
I switch on LF too. Works for the bass.

I know many people say the 535s aren't good for metal, but I listen to quite a lot of metal, and it works pretty well with the C&C BH.
Not sure whether other configurations are better (I haven't owned many earphones) but just my 0.02

Oh and I use output 2 because output 1 seems louder, and I'm quite afraid I will go deaf if I turn the volume pot by accident.
I'm using a 7th gen iPod Classic, rockboxed, with an Audiominor copper LOD!

May 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,854 of 3,421
Quote:
I've used this with the 535s, I think they pair quite well together.
Pardon me for being unable to describe the lows/mids/highs (not really good at this stuff) but the soundstage does seem to increase with the SF switch on.
I switch on LF too. Works for the bass.

I know many people say the 535s aren't good for metal, but I listen to quite a lot of metal, and it works pretty well with the C&C BH.
Not sure whether other configurations are better (I haven't owned many earphones) but just my 0.02

Oh and I use output 2 because output 1 seems louder, and I'm quite afraid I will go deaf if I turn the volume pot by accident.
I'm using a 7th gen iPod Classic, rockboxed, with an Audiominor copper LOD!

I think with that configuration, the 535s would sound best on Output 2. I've got a SPC LOD and the 535s seemed pretty muddy to me on Out 1, even with the switches on. I would think that signature would be worse using pure copper.

May 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,856 of 3,421
^ Lol - Awesome!

May 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,857 of 3,421

It's been weeks since I charged mine also. Almost a month actually. I sometimes forget that this amp has a battery. I've been curious, how is it possible that the BH amp is able to do this? Most other similar amps get a max of 10-12 hours. The Headstage gets about up to 30-40 hours I think? What kind of freak battery does the BH have?

May 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,858 of 3,421
I've got the BK and first report back to you guys is it sounds very similar to my C421..................which is a good thing and the bass switch helps things along.  Have not listened to it much yet so I have no idea if I'll get 4 weeks out of my charge...............
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #1,859 of 3,421
Quote:

It's been weeks since I charged mine also. Almost a month actually. I sometimes forget that this amp has a battery.I've been curious, how is it possible that the BH amp is able to do this? Most other similar amps get a max of 10-12 hours. The Headstage gets about up to 30-40 hours I think?What kind of freak battery does the BH have?

It's probably very power efficient. Fiio E7 has smaller battery than E17, but since it's power efficient, it last about 50 hours from single charge.

May 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,860 of 3,421
Quote:
It's probably very power efficient. Fiio E7 has smaller battery than E17, but since it's power efficient, it last about 50 hours from single charge.

E7 actually runs over 100 hours on single charge - but it is not because it is power efficient. It is because it doesn't have a lot of output power or as many features (which all need to be powered regardless whether you use them or not). If an amp doesn't output a lot of power, then naturally it doesn't consume a lot of power, as simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back