C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Feb 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #781 of 3,421
Well, Frankly, if you'll be paying more than 40 bucks you might want to get a custom made one - either a mini to mini or LOD. It's just that you can get the exact connectors you want and get the length you need coz most interconnects on ebay are relatively long and you better get something small and short for the portable rig - like 3-4 cm length instead of all those 10 -20cm

Yes, but the shipping to Australia is often not worth the purchase in some cases. For example, the new Westone star tips only cost $25-00 US but shipping to Australia Cost $25 too. I"m not even sure silver cable is what I'm looking for, the last one I tried did not tickle my fancy but with totally different gear. That's why I like silver plated because it suits my taste offering a little of both worlds. I think if my rigs were going with me more often or in my pocket I would certainly go for custom because the length is made to size and some of these eBay cables can get in the way.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #782 of 3,421
Well, you have to look around for some local DIYers or just find someone abroad who ships them for cheap and not with Fedex or DHL or just asking a lot for simple EMS. As I said I discovered by chance that one of the guys here on head-fi was located in Europe and makes pretty good stuff, so I had mine made for only 50 bucks with the shipping and it's top notch cryo copper cable. You'll get the same from Alo audio for like 200+ with the shipping. I have no idea how they can charge 50 bucks for shipping

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #783 of 3,421
Well, you have to look around for some local DIYers or just find someone abroad who ships them for cheap and not with Fedex or DHL or just asking a lot for simple EMS. As I said I discovered by chance that one of the guys here on head-fi was located in Europe and makes pretty good stuff, so I had mine made for only 50 bucks with the shipping and it's top notch cryo copper cable. You'll get the same from Alo audio for like 200+ with the shipping. I have no idea how they can charge 50 bucks for shipping

I might put a notice up in tweaks and cables, see if I cannot source someone in Australia. But it takes away the fun of pressing the "Buy It Now" button. :regular_smile :

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #784 of 3,421
Quote:
I might put a notice up in tweaks and cables, see if I cannot source someone in Australia. But it takes away the fun of pressing the "Buy It Now" button.
regular_smile .gif

LOL But it gives you the fun of picking the connectors, braiding, type of cable, length,you can make a mini to mini with one straight and one 90 degree plug etc. Mine turned out very pretty - custom heat shrink on the entire connectors, nice braid job and the guy even gave me a nice pouch for it aside from the 2-year warranty

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #785 of 3,421
Quote:
The next cable I'm going for is this silver one. I'm yet to try it, but on my radar to test. I'm not sure how much it will agree with the C&C BH, from the reports of most users the amp leans away from warmth and my CK4 also leans away from warmth, we may head to close to the light of brightness.

None the less, it's a nice looking cable, and I won't know until I try. It must wait though as I need a new IEM cable for my Rhapsodio RDB+

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290600798389?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

H20, this looks very much like the cable i got. we wait for your impressions pal.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #786 of 3,421
Quote:
LOL But it gives you the fun of picking the connectors, braiding, type of cable, length,you can make a mini to mini with one straight and one 90 degree plug etc. Mine turned out very pretty - custom heat shrink on the entire connectors, nice braid job and the guy even gave me a nice pouch for it aside from the 2-year warranty

i think this is the site of the guy who made you this cable? http://www.faw.nazwa.pl/strona-www/photos/viewer.swf

as strange as it may sound Poland is becoming kind of serious Audiomecca, there you find many skilled electrical engineers who do not find job and start their own business. also in Poland you find incredible high-end enthusiasts too. for some stuff i cannot find in Austria i can find this in Poland to my own surprise. one of miracle high*end DACs called Lampizator is all Polish made :)

http://www.stereomojo.com/Lampizator%20Level%204%20DAC%20Review.htm/LampizatorLevel4DAC.htm

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #787 of 3,421
I like it! You're ever slowly tempting me. Probably has an edge over the eBay cables. That will sound mighy fine with your C3 Kova. You can finally put it to good use! :wink:

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #788 of 3,421
Quote:
I like it! You're ever slowly tempting me. Probably has an edge over the eBay cables. That will sound mighy fine with your C3 Kova. You can finally put it to good use!
wink.gif

Well, it probably should - it does have a better cable and as you can see the cable is 4-stranded instead of 3 like most of the stuff but people should realize that a small interconnect cable isn't some sort of magical contraption that makes a really huge difference. That cable does give me better treble control and smoothness but is not like I've added a new DAC chip to the C3. On another note, I still haven't received notification that my BH has been dispatched, so I hope the seller is either too busy to update the info on all purchases or at least will ship it tomorrow 

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #789 of 3,421
Quote:
i think this is the site of the guy who made you this cable? http://www.faw.nazwa.pl/strona-www/photos/viewer.swf

as strange as it may sound Poland is becoming kind of serious Audiomecca, there you find many skilled electrical engineers who do not find job and start their own business. also in Poland you find incredible high-end enthusiasts too. for some stuff i cannot find in Austria i can find this in Poland to my own surprise. one of miracle high*end DACs called Lampizator is all Polish made :)

http://www.stereomojo.com/Lampizator%20Level%204%20DAC%20Review.htm/LampizatorLevel4DAC.htm

Yeah, that's his site - that's the user Matez on head-fi. Anyway, it's not just Poland - there are good DIYers in every country but you have to look for them on local forums and most of them just do stuff for themselves as a hobby and compare it with the others. Not many people turn this into a source of profit even if they do a great custom work. 
Btw, I still can't stop laughing from the picture of that badly photoshopped girl behind that lampizator (the blonde one)

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #790 of 3,421
Might consider a custom LOD in the future too.

For now the one I ordered from pollychen will suit me just fine.

They should send out the stuff tonight, since they work different hours. Which is why we haven't received dispatch notification yet.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #791 of 3,421
Quote:
They should send out the stuff tonight, since they work different hours. Which is why we haven't received dispatch notification yet.

I don't know - they should be around 8 hours ahead or something, so it's like Monday night there now and they are not working now. I guess they'll be shipping or updating the orders tomorrow

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #792 of 3,421
Quote:
but people should realize that a small interconnect cable isn't some sort of magical contraption that makes a really huge difference. That cable does give me better treble control and smoothness but is not like I've added a new DAC chip to the C3.

[size=10pt]yes and no. no cable will replace your DAC, but cables can still make a big audible difference. to make long story short when i picked Baolong cable i also did not have big expectations. to my own surprise this little fat boy sounded so much better than stock cable that my jaw nearly dropped.[/size]

[size=10pt]sorry for disagreeing but in my setup with C3 and BH this cable opened whole new world into audio perfection. yes, this is not another DAC or Amp but what i hear is audible and very welcome improvement in sound quality which i prefer to have.[/size]

[size=10pt]and one more remark, all cables i saw on ebay are rather custom made because geniune make Wireworld or Nordost cables would cost a whole lot more, especially silver, teflon shielded and so forth garbage. i have Nordost, Wireworld and else original high-end cables and i know how much they cost. only a pair of Atlas gold beryllium speaker plugs cost me more than a Baalong cable i bought for C3 BH.[/size]

[size=10pt]that said i suppose Chinese are doing nice business by taking high quality material from factories which make this for Nordost and similar, then they attach a couple of Pailiccs terminations and sell the cable for good money, nice to have indeed. :)))[/size]

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #793 of 3,421
Quote:

yes and no. no cable will replace your DAC, but cables can still make a big audible difference. to make long story short when i picked Baolong cable i also did not have big expectations. to my own surprise this little fat boy sounded so much better than stock cable that my jaw nearly dropped.

sorry for disagreeing but in my setup with C3 and BH this cable opened whole new world into audio perfection. yes, this is not another DAC or Amp but what i hear is audible and very welcome improvement in sound quality which i prefer to have.

Well, I'm not saying it does nothing (although a lot of people on head-fi will disagree with both of us) but that it's not such a huge difference and very sound dependent. For instance something like my B2 which can uncover a lot of sibilance in tracks is really better with my interconnect. I guess it will be also really good to keep the treble in check with the BH if you use the LF switch as there are a lot of iems that have already enough treble emphasis and more treble boost will just turn them into unacceptably painful treble monsters

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #794 of 3,421
I don't know - they should be around 8 hours ahead or something, so it's like Monday night there now and they are not working now. I guess they'll be shipping or updating the orders tomorrow

Yeah apparently they start work at 1am GMT time. So it should be sent out overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back