C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Feb 7, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #482 of 3,421
How much does it cost? A portable tube amp would be a dream come true to me...

If I'm reading correctly $309 plus shipping.

http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=169&S_id2=79&s_id=

Just be careful of that listing though because they show the C&C TU in the picture, but list it as X02.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #484 of 3,421
If I'm reading correctly $309 plus shipping.

http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=169&S_id2=79&s_id=

Just be careful of that listing though because they show the C&C TU in the picture, but list it as X02.

Oh, ok, thanks, I'll get it by next week :)

Feb 7, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #488 of 3,421
Quote:
While using the BH with my iPhone, it did respond to the signal. A bit annoying. Only happened once for a few seconds in the past hour I've been using it, though. Gonna see tomorrow when I drive to work how it fares, though.

Thanks for the info, pngwn, very much appreciated. I would be really interested to hear how the BH fares on your journey to work - I imagine the additional cell handovers will exacerbate the issue but would love to hear about your experience with it.

Thanks again,

Graham

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #489 of 3,421
IME, I only ever get cell interference if I'm using EDGE network (2G). I'm usually on 3G/4G/LTE so I don't get any of that interference. I think since ditching my blackberry I haven't noticed it so much either, but that was way befre I got the BH so I'm sure it'd be like hell with a blackberry lol

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #490 of 3,421
I have seen that listing also and i believe it is a mistake  using the wrong picture. the sale is for the XO2 I believe, and i also read that on some other internet forum/place also.

Can't hurt to ask . I'll link anything I find.

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #491 of 3,421
Quote:
I'm in the market for a small portable amp at the moment, and the BH seems to be ticking all the boxes for me at the moment.... Excellent reports on SQ, small, excellent battery, seems like I can't go wrong.

However, can any owners comment on the BH's susceptibility to electromagnetic interference when used in close proximity to a cellphone? I'd be using the BH with both my iPod Classic and iPhone 4S, but wonder if I might hear the dreaded di-dit di-dit di-dit when it's sat on my phone.

Would be very grateful for any observations from owners
smile.gif

Cheers,

Graham

I have heard some interference when the BH is in close proximity to my HTC Thunderbolt (4G LTE), but I don't think you can have a sensitive amplifier and somehow shield ALL the noise that comes out of your phone...a transmitter. There are trade offs to having the convenience of a smartphone. I will say that it is NOTHING like the GSM interference we used to get from these phones. In fact, I only noticed the sound after my music stopped.

NO such problems with my iPod classic. :)

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #492 of 3,421
Well, i received my BH yesterday! It only took 13 days from placing the order to delivery. I must say its a bit smaller than what i expected and boy does this thing pack a punch. It also loves to bring out micro details. I also have a RCA to 3.5mm cable that i used to hook up to my DAC and i must say the BH did scale a bit over the iPod, but not drastically so. That does make me wonder if my headphones, VSonic GR07 Bass Editions are the bottleneck. If so, this amp is worth double its price to be honest. Stay tuned for a a better review in a few days!

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #493 of 3,421
If its worth double its price, I wonder how could the XO2 sound like... So tempted to pull the trigger on that one. God help my wallet.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #494 of 3,421
Quote:
IME, I only ever get cell interference if I'm using EDGE network (2G). I'm usually on 3G/4G/LTE so I don't get any of that interference. I think since ditching my blackberry I haven't noticed it so much either, but that was way befre I got the BH so I'm sure it'd be like hell with a blackberry lol

Thanks Apo0th3karY, that matches my experience too - it's only ever GSM that causes a problem. Unfortunately I live in a fringe reception area with no 3G so my phone is forever re-registering with the 2G network. I've learned today though that I can enable airplane mode but keep wifi enabled, so if necessary I should be able to avoid the interference whilst still pulling lossless files from my Subsonic server.

Quote:
I have heard some interference when the BH is in close proximity to my HTC Thunderbolt (4G LTE), but I don't think you can have a sensitive amplifier and somehow shield ALL the noise that comes out of your phone...a transmitter. There are trade offs to having the convenience of a smartphone. I will say that it is NOTHING like the GSM interference we used to get from these phones. In fact, I only noticed the sound after my music stopped.

NO such problems with my iPod classic. :)

You should hear my cheap Logitech PC speakers.... Sounds like an alien invasion whenever I get my phone within about 4 feet of them
biggrin.gif

Thanks ravager, that's appreciated, and I guess when I can get such (reportedly) fantastic sound from a tiny, cheap device with a great battery life, I should be willing to accept the odd imperfection. If the interference is minor, like you report, I think I'd be comfortable with giving the BH a try and engaging Plan B (airplane mode+wifi on) if I find it annoys me.

Cheers both,

Graham
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #495 of 3,421
After listening to a few of my IEMs with the BH, I decided to try headphones to really get the feel for what this amp can do. I absolutely adore the combination of the BH and Amperiors. I used Out 1 with high gain, and LF switch enabled and it was very pleasing to my ears. That top edge that I heard in my IEMs was never apparent in my Amperiors. I also tried my D7000s with the amp with similar results. They definitely sound very refined and detailed, but the sharp top end started to come through again. I feel as though this amp would be perfect for neutral to warm-ish sounding headphones and earphones, does anyone else agree? V shaped headphones seems to become overly bright with these. Definitely more to come! And thank you to H20 for recommending such an awesome amp for the price. The battery life alone was worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back