C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Feb 5, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #436 of 3,421
Can anyone comment on how this pairs with UM Merlins? 

Not directly that I know of.

However, if you read this members impressions the amp is very quite, no hiss with Westone UM3 and UM2 also myself can report complete silence with Westone 3.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/60#post_9029739

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #437 of 3,421
Hi, first post. Just wanted to say that I bought a C&C BH based upon H20Fidelity's first post/impressions, and the thread that followed. I ordered off eBay and I found it in my mailbox on the way to uni today. I have been listening to the new My Bloody Valentine album, through an iPod Classic, L9 LOD, and an older pair of Shure's (315, maybe?). My first listen was through Out 2, LF on, and it was a bit too shrill for that setup, but nevertheless, the detail is astounding. On second listen I switched to Out 1, LF on, SF on, and I am blown away. I've only had a Fiio E11 for maybe 6 months, so I am definitely new to the headphone amp game, and the E11 is a good little, battery draining, amp. But the BH is like night and day compared to the Fiio, has a reported 80 hours battery life, and for only 100 USD shipped! 

So, I want to thank every one of you for your inputs and impressions. I think this little guy is exactly what I was looking for. I look forward to being more involved with the head-fi community.

Cheers!

rav

By the way, someone (possibly someone on the thread) selling slightly used BH for 90 USD, shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-/230921797416

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #438 of 3,421
Probably getting my C&C XO2 on saturday =D, cant wait to pair that with my senn IE60's and HD598, also im anxious to receive my custon HD25 I-II wich ill be getting next week if everything turns alright, as far as i know not many people have bought the XO2 model? gonna post some pics and impressions from that thing tho, cant wait till saturday 

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #439 of 3,421

Quote:
Probably getting my C&C XO2 on saturday =D, cant wait to pair that with my senn IE60's and HD598, also im anxious to receive my custon HD25 I-II wich ill be getting next week if everything turns alright, as far as i know not many people have bought the XO2 model? gonna post some pics and impressions from that thing tho, cant wait till saturday 

Looking forward to that, and also your take on how the full-sized respond with that monster also.

Appreciate ANY impressions.

Quote:
Hi, first post. Just wanted to say that I bought a C&C BH based upon H20Fidelity's first post/impressions, and the thread that followed.
 I think this little guy is exactly what I was looking for. I look forward to being more involved with the head-fi community.

rav

Welcome to Head-fi!

And thanks for making such a great impression post for you first one also.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #440 of 3,421
Hi, first post. Just wanted to say that I bought a C&C BH based upon H20Fidelity's first post/impressions, and the thread that followed. I ordered off eBay and I found it in my mailbox on the way to uni today. I have been listening to the new My Bloody Valentine album, through an iPod Classic, L9 LOD, and an older pair of Shure's (315, maybe?). My first listen was through Out 2, LF on, and it was a bit too shrill for that setup, but nevertheless, the detail is astounding. On second listen I switched to Out 1, LF on, SF on, and I am blown away. I've only had a Fiio E11 for maybe 6 months, so I am definitely new to the headphone amp game, and the E11 is a good little, battery draining, amp. But the BH is like night and day compared to the Fiio, has a reported 80 hours battery life, and for only 100 USD shipped! 

So, I want to thank every one of you for your inputs and impressions. I think this little guy is exactly what I was looking for. I look forward to being more involved with the head-fi community.

Cheers!

rav

By the way, someone (possibly someone on the thread) selling slightly used BH for 90 USD, shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-/230921797416

You're welcome.

Myself have taken C&C BH to 50 hours during testing, though never ran it completely flat yet. I do suggest replacing your L9 with a different LOD, from my experience there are benefits to be had doing so and the amp is rather responsive to those changes. The two outputs behave differently because output2 has a built in P to B circuit which effects IEM's frequency response in a different manner., Personally I recommend using output1 on low gain for low impedance IEM's.

It is indeed a good deal for $100. The pocket friendly size and extended run times make it perfect for portability. Best of all it sounds far better than anything $100 has a right to be.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #441 of 3,421
Quote:
You're welcome.

Myself have taken C&C BH to 50 hours during testing, though never ran it completely flat yet. I do suggest replacing your L9 with a different LOD, from my experience there are benefits to be had doing so and the amp is rather responsive to those changes. 

What kind of LOD are you using in place of the L9? I have an L3 but am open to trying something better to improve the sound.

Thanks again for reporting your initial impressions of the BH. It's good to hear you like them and it makes me even more anxious each day to see mine arrive in the mailbox.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #442 of 3,421
What kind of LOD are you using in place of the L9? I have an L3 but am open to trying something better to improve the sound.

Thanks again for reporting your initial impressions of the BH. It's good to hear you like them and it makes me even more anxious each day to see mine arrive in the mailbox.

I recommend something silver plated, you don't need to spend a fortune, something around $25 -$40 is fine. Search on eBay under "iPod LOD" to get a feel of your options. Main thing is to switch out the cheaper FiiO cable and clean the signal up.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #448 of 3,421
So.. I have had the BH for a few days now and I haven't read anything yet about how I find the sound to be so I'll chime in a bit. By no means is this my review of the product, but I definitely want to address a few things that I have noticed about this amp. First thing I noticed right away is how much clearer my music sounded out of my iPod Touch 4G. Compared straight out of the headphone jack and also the BH's top competitor (E11) IMO, the sound was very clear and detailed. Soundstage also did open up compared to the E11. Everything was crisp and clean and I could definitely hear the step up in sound quality compared to the E11. The second thing I noticed after listening a few more hours is how bright this thing is. I feel as though right out of the box, the treble out of this thing was a bit edgy and sharp, but did tame some after some burn-in. Although I do love the clarity this amp brings to my various portables, I don't like how bright this sounds on them. I've burned in this amp for about 20+ hours or so, and I still feel like the treble is a bit much. I will state that I'm not one that likes anything more than flat treble response. Actually I would probably rate my hearing as sensitive to treble. That's probably why I've never liked the Grado sound, and probably never will. I'm still debating whether or not I want to keep my BH, but of all the headphones I use on the go all sound a bit too harsh for my tastes. 

More impressions to come after I use this amp more, but the generally consensus for me is: Clear, Detailed, Good Soundstage, Love battery life, but a bit harsh in the higher frequencies.

Just my 2 cents
atsmile.gif

Edit: I also ordered the new E12 Mont Blanc and will be receiving that shortly, so I will doing some comparisons between that as well. I suspect, the E12 might be a better choice for a few reasons. One being the extra power, and two for the warm-ish sound it brings.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #449 of 3,421
A further update.

I have been burning in this amp with my Momentum`s. I think it must be 50 hours for Momentums and possibly reaching 70 with the amp.
Theory - Synergy.
I think this amp isn`t for IEM`s, imo. Doesn`t like my W4`s that much still.

I have settled for line out 1 and default for my Momentums. My ears do not like the boost to the highs with either LF or SF on. My ears = my findings, completely personal.

This amp is really making these overheads sound pretty fab, clean, black background. I was really sceptical initially with the harshness/brightness out of the box but it is now finding a purpose. My P3 with my optimal set-up is too neutral for the momentums.
This amp has a colour, slightly bassy and now I hear forward mid`s which is far from a bad thing. There are circumstances where you want to "amp", making the output from source "louder" without any modification.
I suppose I have found a guilty pleasure, bassier, warmer, slightly rolled off highs never getting near sibilant.

I suppose again, this $100, not £100 amp, which runs on air it seems, backs up Fidelity`s reasoning for starting a thread. I am hearing why.

A little side note, I do believe with lithium batteries it is best to charge before they run out, unlike re-chargeable batteries. I have plugged the amp in a few times just to top it up and have not experienced it dead, yet. Leave it on with my Itouch playing while at work, still playing when I get home.

Blimey, 200 of my cigs costs more than this, just to put things in perspective. Nice.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #450 of 3,421
I just got them and within the first 5 seconds I could tell that this amp blows the E11 away in every way.  I'll post my impressions later today but I can already tell this is a fantastic amp for only $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back