C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Jul 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #2,686 of 3,421
hey guys..anybody tried to pair the BH with mad dogs by mr speakers?
was it good or just meh?
im asking cause ill have the mad dogs soon and ill use it with my ipodtouch 2g..and im looking for a good portable amp that could fit in my pocket..thanks guys!

It works. Not nearly as good as a desktop amp though.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2,688 of 3,421
To answer one of my earlier questions I went ahead and bought those Shure SRH840 studio monitors. I needed a closed back can because silicon tipped IEMs were giving me swimmer's ear, and I find these Shures to be pretty nice. They have the isolating quality I was looking for, and they are actually quite comfortable, once your neck muscles get used to the added 317 grams on your head! Yes, they are huge, and you won't win any cool points while wearing them.

I did an A/B test with the Audioengine D1 and C&C BH. The BH was fed with the RCA out of the D1 with volume pot fully clockwise. The headphone output stage of the D1 was far warmer and with a less impactful bass than the BH, even without the LF switch on. There is no question this is a great pairing. I have maybe 50 hours on the Shures and they seem to still be evolving, or my ears are. The muddy bass I felt they had out of the box has been replaced with a sharper, impactful bass. The treble has been tamed somewhat as well, but becomes fuller with the BH driving the proceedings. They are more detailed than say, the Senn HD280 Pro, but nowhere near as aggressive as the Grado SR325is, which is my go-to on ear can. I have to say that I prefer this setup to the Klipsch X10s. Should sate my desire to upgrade the amp for a bit, but we all know that won't last.

For now...I love this amp. I love this setup. Joe Bob says, check it out.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2,689 of 3,421
To answer one of my earlier questions I went ahead and bought those Shure SRH840 studio monitors. I needed a closed back can because silicon tipped IEMs were giving me swimmer's ear, and I find these Shures to be pretty nice. They have the isolating quality I was looking for, and they are actually quite comfortable, once your neck muscles get used to the added 317 grams on your head! Yes, they are huge, and you won't win any cool points while wearing them.

I did an A/B test with the Audioengine D1 and C&C BH. The BH was fed with the RCA out of the D1 with volume pot fully clockwise. The headphone output stage of the D1 was far warmer and with a less impactful bass than the BH, even without the LF switch on. There is no question this is a great pairing. I have maybe 50 hours on the Shures and they seem to still be evolving, or my ears are. The muddy bass I felt they had out of the box has been replaced with a sharper, impactful bass. The treble has been tamed somewhat as well, but becomes fuller with the BH driving the proceedings. They are more detailed than say, the Senn HD280 Pro, but nowhere near as aggressive as the Grado SR325is, which is my go-to on ear can. I have to say that I prefer this setup to the Klipsch X10s. Should sate my desire to upgrade the amp for a bit, but we all know that won't last.

For now...I love this amp. I love this setup. Joe Bob says, check it out.
I got 150 hours on my srh840's and they're still changing

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2,691 of 3,421
Marko, i had TF10 and can assure you BH pairs excellent with them, personally i felt very good about this pair but since getting H200 i found them better fit for my taste. ask Old Dude he has TF10 and BH and can tell you more.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2,693 of 3,421
They pair very well together, the crazy synergy recommendation was made by me, because putting those two pieces of gear together is rather special. Especially using the amps LF switch, and silver plated cable.

100% H20 approved.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,694 of 3,421
Quote:
TF10 and BH are listed as wicked synergy on the first page. So my guess is that they work just fine together
wink.gif

Quote:
They pair very well together, the crazy synergy recommendation was made by me, because putting those two pieces of gear together is rather special. Especially using the amps LF switch, and silver plated cable.

100% H20 approved.

I've read this thread page to page and I'm ashamed to say I didn't even think of looking back at the synergy section and can't recall H20 mentioning it. I've dishonoured myself. 
frown.gif

..but thanks for the reply, guy I sold mine to a while back doesn't want them so I'm buying back.  :p 

Should also say, been using the C&C with SE215s and getting some enjoyable results. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,695 of 3,421
TF10 and BH are listed as wicked synergy on the first page. So my guess is that they work just fine together :wink:

Itchy Witchy combination is C3 into BH into H200, damn ear opener setup, get this and forget all your worries and upgrades.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,697 of 3,421
Crazy synergy. Still early on but 10 minutes out of out1 the UE900 sounds spacious, a bit laid back, has a bit of a mid bass hump, sub bass is a bit weak due to mid bass and treble has sparkle and decent detail but not the most linear extension. The lower mids almost sound a bit veiled to me. This is out of the box. Pretty much what people say. That's with pinhole open. Thinking about what Rin wrote on output impedance and UE900 (basically what tipped the scales and made me pull the trigger on them) I plugged them into out2 which ClieOs measured at 100 Ohms.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.se/2012/10/ultimate-ears-part3-in-depth-analysis.html

Voila! Extension. Circular soundstage, however a bit less wide. Sub bass comes forward because mid bass is lowered. (I think that's why. Anyway I don't want to say that just about every single part is enhanced.) Bass feels tighter. The hint of mid veiling is gone. A tiny bit of sibilance on records that are prone to sibilance. But this is really something. More impressions to come later. Will block the pinholes soon.

Rig used: Galaxy S4 i9505 -> Hifimediy Sabre DAC E9023 -> pure silver IC -> UE900 pinholes open

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #2,698 of 3,421
Crazy synergy. Still early on but 10 minutes out of out1 the UE900 sounds spacious, a bit laid back, has a bit of a mid bass hump, sub bass is a bit weak due to mid bass and treble has sparkle and decent detail but not the most linear extension. The lower mids almost sound a bit veiled to me. This is out of the box. Pretty much what people say. That's with pinhole open. Thinking about what Rin wrote on output impedance and UE900 (basically what tipped the scales and made me pull the trigger on them) I plugged them into out2 which ClieOs measured at 100 Ohms.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.se/2012/10/ultimate-ears-part3-in-depth-analysis.html

Voila! Extension. Circular soundstage, however a bit less wide. Sub bass comes forward because mid bass is lowered. (I think that's why. Anyway I don't want to say that just about every single part is enhanced.) Bass feels tighter. The hint of mid veiling is gone. A tiny bit of sibilance on records that are prone to sibilance. But this is really something. More impressions to come later. Will block the pinholes soon.

Rig used: Galaxy S4 i9505 -> Hifimediy Sabre DAC E9023 -> pure silver IC -> UE900 pinholes open

I will add this for you.:smile:

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,700 of 3,421

Users who are viewing this thread

Back