C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Jul 11, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #2,581 of 3,421
I'm not sure...it doesn't sound as if something is wrong, other than what I have mentioned. Everything seems to be working on it. But it's early days yet. At this moment it will have been only about 21 hours in burn-in. I still have hope it should come good within the 100 hour mark. I haven't used other headphones as of yet, but will try with my AKG K551 if the Shure doesn't work out. But it's a bit weird, because I feel the Shures actually are that good that they would have good synergy with almost anything. That's my experience so far...that they aren't that fussy. They play what they get thrown at them, neither enhancing or subtracting anything. I could also try my HRT Microstreamer as DAC to the C&C to se if it's the Hifimediy that's the problem. But either way...the C&C should be better than a FIIO E07K....right??

E07K sounds darker and less detailed for me than Hifimediy dac with BH, I tested the E07K together with Mad Dog and DT880 both can detect the difference quite easy. Much more engaging aswell on the BH than E07K, the E17 is better but still not as refined as the BH and Hifimediy dac. As for burn in there is not much to that can change inside a electronic device like this even on the measuring side.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #2,582 of 3,421
ClieOS has added C&C BH2 to the $100 portable amp shoot out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared#post_8154885

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #2,583 of 3,421
Quote:
ClieOS has added C&C BH2 to the $100 portable amp shoot out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared#post_8154885

Well, finally an objective review. 
size]

Anyway, I do agree with him on the issue with not enough power making the sound more mellow but I find this is an issue only on low gain. On high gain the tightness, attack and texture are better. But as I said before I personally prefer the smoother and more relaxed sound on low gain and also high gain gives me a way too little volume range to play with.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #2,584 of 3,421
Well, finally an objective review. 
size]

Anyway, I do agree with him on the issue with not enough power making the sound more mellow but I find this is an issue only on low gain. On high gain the tightness, attack and texture are better. But as I said before I personally prefer the smoother and more relaxed sound on low gain and also high gain gives me a way too little volume range to play with.

I use the amp on low gain pretty much all the time, and never turn the LF (or cheat switch) off. I agree on the smoothness / more mellow sound, also feels more airy to me. I find the bass too heavy on high gain with some IEM's. I've noticed HG thickens up the presentation. I think one thing that can be a little off putting is vocals can appear slightly recessed compared to the source alone with the amp.

I can't remember the last time I charged mine, :rolleyes: Honestly runs on air almost.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #2,587 of 3,421
I use the amp on low gain pretty much all the time, and never turn the LF (or cheat switch) off. I agree on the smoothness / more mellow sound, also feels more airy to me. I find the bass too heavy on high gain with some IEM's. I've noticed HG thickens up the presentation. I think one thing that can be a little off putting is vocals can appear slightly recessed compared to the source alone with the amp.

I can't remember the last time I charged mine, :rolleyes: Honestly runs on air almost.

Opposite of how I run mine then, LF off and high gain. Not decided about the SF switch yet. C&C do seem to have made a battery that runs on magic :)

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,588 of 3,421

Opposite of how I run mine then, LF off and high gain. Not decided about the SF switch yet. C&C do seem to have made a battery that runs on magic :)

You guys should know by now that this amp runs on the power of a loyal owner's love. ^_^

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,589 of 3,421
The BH being underpowered is a legitimate concern, but you can't have your cake and eat it too... or in this case, have your power and use it too. Do you want virtually infinite battery life, or lots of power for your high impedance headphones? Something's gotta give. :)

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,590 of 3,421
The BH being underpowered is a legitimate concern, but you can't have your cake and eat it too... or in this case, have your power and use it too. Do you want virtually infinite battery life, or lots of power for your high impedance headphones? Something's gotta give. :)

Its enough to power most IEMs out there. Maybe not so much on headphones.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2,591 of 3,421
Something I was just thinking about. I only use the amp when im on the go and outside. Ive never really used it at home.

I never really paid attention to the "hiss" that the bh produces but I do notice a minor hiss. Its only noticeable above the 9 oclock spot on the volime pot. And gets louder when the pot is cranked up.

Granted, the hiss is much less than my fiio e6. Hmm maybe its my IEMs.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2,592 of 3,421
OK, so it has been day two with mye C&C/Hifimediy Dac Shure SH840 combo. Have to say that after 25 hours of burn-in I'm a little bit more positive than I was yesterday. Things have fallen more together and I no longer feel that the FIIO E07K is better. The clarity and rythm and pace...and also the bass has come along nicely. I have to pinpoint that my initial impressions was with lo gain, LF on and out1. I experimented a bit today and used out 2 with lf and lo gain, and it got incredibly sibilant....this could also have something to do with the ES9023 dac. Because when I changed the bitrating around a bit, some of the sibilance went away. I'm gonna test it more with different settings in the morning.

At least it's starting to come good I feel. It's still playing and when I get to work tomorrow it will have played around 50 hours. Very much looking forward to hear it again in the morning.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,593 of 3,421

Users who are viewing this thread

Back