C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Jul 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #2,566 of 3,421
I've been listening to my new office setup today. A brand new C&C BH2 with a new Hifimediy usb dac 24/96 and a laptop as source. I am using Shure SH-840 as headphones at the moment. I actually got a little bit dissapointed with this setup. The stereoimaging was poor, the instruments and voices sounded all over the place, and generally lacking the drive and rythm that I'm used to with my FIIO E07K.

After following this thread for a while, the C&C isn't at all what I had hoped for straight out of the box at least. Some of you say that it sounds excellent straight away, but I can't agree with this. Anyone else having had this problem, and does it get better after 50-100 hours? I've left it on and playing, and I hope it will get better after a while.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2,567 of 3,421
Tom, i am afraid BH is destined more for DAPs, i would not use this with PC but that's me.
I also found best pair with C3, cannot comment much on other DAPs since i did not care and my RWAK is not needing amping or high gain.
I guess pairing with PC noise can be problem?
As regards Fiio cannot say much but my brief encounter of Fiio 11 left me not impressed at all. Again for PC i use dedicated cambridge soundworks 5.1 and in front rig i use dedicated digital adapter and a proper DAC with separate PSU. I would not entrust my PC playback to tiny amp.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,568 of 3,421
I've been listening to my new office setup today. A brand new C&C BH2 with a new Hifimediy usb dac 24/96 and a laptop as source. I am using Shure SH-840 as headphones at the moment. I actually got a little bit dissapointed with this setup. The stereoimaging was poor, the instruments and voices sounded all over the place, and generally lacking the drive and rythm that I'm used to with my FIIO E07K.

After following this thread for a while, the C&C isn't at all what I had hoped for straight out of the box at least. Some of you say that it sounds excellent straight away, but I can't agree with this. Anyone else having had this problem, and does it get better after 50-100 hours? I've left it on and playing, and I hope it will get better after a while.

There really isnt any change after 50-100 hours. Sadly burn-in doesnt work here.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #2,569 of 3,421
Maybe the Shure SH-840 and the BH2 don't have good synergy with each other :frowning2:

Have you tried and paired other headphones with the BH2's?

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,570 of 3,421
Quote:
Stunning piece of kit. Love the gold lining in the box too. Does it sound as good as it looks? One thing I've been wondering about is does the curved shape get in the way and make it hard to attach to things?

actually its much easier attaching things to it , plus i get less contact area when attaching the ipod classic so i risk less scratches . did i mention that it also comes with a pleather cover ? has been on the amp since day one helps tones when attaching to things with "slippery" surface IE metal on metal. Got to say this amp is a super value for money , i just got to try the JDS C5 earlier today...i am sorely dissapointed it didnt not come close to performing as well as the C&C X02 , bass was not as controlled as the X02 when both had the bass switch engaged , vocals seems held back on the C5 compared to the X02 which makes it feel like the words are seducing you into a deep sleep ( female vocals ). treble seemed decay is better on the X02 when the cymbals are struck   
the X02 had a more natural decay the C5 seemed to extend it artificially ( if you have ever heard cymbals before you would know instantly ) test this on my two headphones , Shure SRH-1840 and Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm edition 

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #2,571 of 3,421
Just adding it in i also demoed the SR71B and the stepdance amps ....the C&C X02 surpasses the RSA SR71B , and i feel the X02 is hovering around the same level as the stepdance ...its not quite there yet but its snapping at the heels of the stepdance...

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,572 of 3,421
@Tommo21

I have used the same setup but other headphones,Hifimediy usb dac +bh is really good sounding. Not used a dap that has sounded better than this combo. Sure your bh is 100% working?

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #2,573 of 3,421
As always ill let you have the last word which you so desire.

Dont want to argue/explain what opinions are, anymore.

Saying I'll let you have the last word is in fact having the last word for yourself is it not :wink:

I don't want to explain again that when you say the facts are untrue because of your opinions you are presenting your opinions as fact. It's you who doesn't understand that, not me. Goodbye swy

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,574 of 3,421
actually its much easier attaching things to it , plus i get less contact area when attaching the ipod classic so i risk less scratches . did i mention that it also comes with a pleather cover ? has been on the amp since day one helps tones when attaching to things with "slippery" surface IE metal on metal. Got to say this amp is a super value for money , i just got to try the JDS C5 earlier today...i am sorely dissapointed it didnt not come close to performing as well as the C&C X02 , bass was not as controlled as the X02 when both had the bass switch engaged , vocals seems held back on the C5 compared to the X02 which makes it feel like the words are seducing you into a deep sleep ( female vocals ). treble seemed decay is better on the X02 when the cymbals are struck   
the X02 had a more natural decay the C5 seemed to extend it artificially ( if you have ever heard cymbals before you would know instantly ) test this on my two headphones , Shure SRH-1840 and Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm edition 

Interesting. C&C really do appear to be on the ball. Another greatly priced brilliant device by the sounds of it. I'd love to get one but I can't afford it right now. I'm still rather memorised by the BH but when I (hopefully) get myself a set of HD650's I might see if I can squeeze out some extra money for an upgrade. For now I'm very happy with the BH. But when I do decide to upgrade I'm fairly certain I'm going to stick to C&C, I trust them now and I like the sound that they aim for.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #2,575 of 3,421
Has anyone fully run out the bh2? Wondering how much less battery it has compared to the bh1. With the bh1 I got roughly 80 hours or so.

Wondering what type of numbers people are getting.

The BH2 battery is down to 950mAh from 1050mAh, so should be somewhere between 9.5% to 10% cut in running time in theory. It's fairly small so changes in volume levels can pretty much make them look the same, would need to run them both out at the same volume and preferably the same source to get a good real world number.

You know I actually pretty much forgot that it's a portable device for a while it lasts so long. When something can take over a week or 8hour sessions per day and in that time you have to charge the portable DAC several times it feels like it's mains powered. I've only ever done quick 1hour top ups on it and it still hasn't died on me. Got to be scraping the bottom of the barrel by now.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,576 of 3,421
Swy, i did not have a chance with BH2 but i believe your findings, quality of battery can make difference in sound no doubt.
those who feel sceptic about such statement can google for M2Tech Young DAC forum discussing battery PSU unit improving sound with majority agreeing on battery unit the most clean sounding.

I can't find what you're referring to and your statement is a little unclear? If you mean they are comparing a battery to a PSU then that's a totally different (and expected) thing. It's to do with the difference in how they work. To put it as simply as I can without losing the meaning it's because of the following. Excuse me if it's too technical, I can't think how to make it less so.

A battery provides a constant DC voltage and current (apart from as it runs down they can drop, but over say a minute it's to close to constant to matter. This device runs 80+ hours, the length of the average song is too short for any noticable change), a PSU takes an AC input and rectifies this to DC. This can never be done perfectly, and there will be what we call a ripple current/voltage. Basically the voltage and current fluctuate up and down 50 times a second (or whatever your local number of Hz is in your mains electricity grid). This changes the voltages available to the op-amps and other components, causing the fluctuation to get added to the output. An op-amp has a positve supply rail and a negative supply rail, and you can bias the output by changing the supply voltages meaning that if one rail changes and the other doesn't compensate (in these cases the negative is usually grounded to a constant 0V) the output changes according to the change in supply voltage. No matter how well you rectify and filter a PSU adds mains hum into the sound you hear. A battery doesn't do this, which is why it sounds better. Now you can do some clever circuitry to try and compensate for it and that will help reduce it significantly, but even then it's not perfect and designers/producers don't always bother. Adding extra components adds expense. Two different batteries with the same voltage and current output however are going to behave in almost exactly the same way. The only difference would be how quickly the gradual running down changes happen, but unless your comparing say a 1000mAh to a 1mAh battery this is imperceivable. And keep in mind there is circuitry to combat that running down effect too.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,577 of 3,421
Just adding it in i also demoed the SR71B and the stepdance amps ....the C&C X02 surpasses the RSA SR71B , and i feel the X02 is hovering around the same level as the stepdance ...its not quite there yet but its snapping at the heels of the stepdance...

I like the sound of that! Not far behind the StepDance, I can live with:)

Its a shame the StepDance has to use batteries...if it took a standard charge, I'd be trying that over the XO2, but now, my decision is easier to make thanks to you:)

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #2,578 of 3,421
In the market for a T1 now

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #2,579 of 3,421
Quote:
@Tommo21

I have used the same setup but other headphones,Hifimediy usb dac +bh is really good sounding. Not used a dap that has sounded better than this combo. Sure your bh is 100% working?

I'm not sure...it doesn't sound as if something is wrong, other than what I have mentioned. Everything seems to be working on it. But it's early days yet. At this moment it will have been only about 21 hours in burn-in. I still have hope it should come good within the 100 hour mark. I haven't used other headphones as of yet, but will try with my AKG K551 if the Shure doesn't work out. But it's a bit weird, because I feel the Shures actually are that good that they would have good synergy with almost anything. That's my experience so far...that they aren't that fussy. They play what they get thrown at them, neither enhancing or subtracting anything. I could also try my HRT Microstreamer as DAC to the C&C to se if it's the Hifimediy that's the problem. But either way...the C&C should be better than a FIIO E07K....right??

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #2,580 of 3,421
Quote:
I can't find what you're referring to and your statement is a little unclear? If you mean they are comparing a battery to a PSU then that's a totally different (and expected) thing. It's to do with the difference in how they work. To put it as simply as I can without losing the meaning it's because of the following. Excuse me if it's too technical, I can't think how to make it less so.

A battery provides a constant DC voltage and current (apart from as it runs down they can drop, but over say a minute it's to close to constant to matter. This device runs 80+ hours, the length of the average song is too short for any noticable change), a PSU takes an AC input and rectifies this to DC. This can never be done perfectly, and there will be what we call a ripple current/voltage. Basically the voltage and current fluctuate up and down 50 times a second (or whatever your local number of Hz is in your mains electricity grid). This changes the voltages available to the op-amps and other components, causing the fluctuation to get added to the output. An op-amp has a positve supply rail and a negative supply rail, and you can bias the output by changing the supply voltages meaning that if one rail changes and the other doesn't compensate (in these cases the negative is usually grounded to a constant 0V) the output changes according to the change in supply voltage. No matter how well you rectify and filter a PSU adds mains hum into the sound you hear. A battery doesn't do this, which is why it sounds better. Now you can do some clever circuitry to try and compensate for it and that will help reduce it significantly, but even then it's not perfect and designers/producers don't always bother. Adding extra components adds expense. Two different batteries with the same voltage and current output however are going to behave in almost exactly the same way. The only difference would be how quickly the gradual running down changes happen, but unless your comparing say a 1000mAh to a 1mAh battery this is imperceivable. And keep in mind there is circuitry to combat that running down effect too.

was i talking to you? i suppose not... and this won't take us anywhere so relax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back