Bypass iPod's DAC and use the Modi or go for a portable DAC under 150$?
Sep 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

revgrectifier

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I own a little setup that I would convert to a bed side table setup, as soon as I can figure it out how.
It's composed by a Schiit Modi, a Bravo Audio V1(yeah, need to upgrade that...) and a pair of AKG K242HD... Right now the Modi is connected to my computer via USB, but I want to use it with my iPod instead. Is it possible? I mean, I know there is a Pure device that basically does that but it has a DAC on its own so I don't think it suits my case...

If there are no alternative I think I have to go with a dedicated portable DAC to bypass my iPod's. I am looking for something with a big, wide soundstage with big separation, warm and fluid mids. I don't want sparky highs. Price tag is about or 150$

Any suggestions?

P.S.: Sorry in advance if I misspell/ed something now or later on in the thread, I am not english :frowning2:

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 4
Get a cable ($10?) to go from the iPod's LOD port to the line-input on the Bravo.
Play the audio files from a Fiio X3, with or with out the Bravo.
HRT iStreamer ($230), to connect between the iPod and the Bravo

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 4
Cables that go from iPod to Modi's USB does not seem to exist, I have a Fiio cable that goes from iPod's LOD port to a 3.5mm jack (bought with my old Fiio E7 which didn't satisfied me sound wise) but i can't see how that will be useful.

The iStreamer is quite expensive, X3 is a good idea though...

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 4
  Cables that go from iPod to Modi's USB does not seem to exist, I have a Fiio cable that goes from iPod's LOD port to a 3.5mm jack (bought with my old Fiio E7 which didn't satisfied me sound wise) but i can't see how that will be useful.

The iStreamer is quite expensive, X3 is a good idea though...

As the iPod would output an analog audio signal (headphone jack & LOD port) and as the Modi takes in a digital audio signal (LOD).
There would not be any cable made for that connection.
I believe you will find the Fiio X3 as the best possible idea, for a $150 to $200 price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back