Buzzing In My Ears
Sep 28, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #63 of 74
About the buzzing... I was concerned that I have hearing loss (turned out there wasn't any), and before the tests my audiologist asked me about ever hearing "buzzing" sounds, saying it could be a sign of hearing loss. So.... be careful now!!
(I have never heard it before, so she was trying hard to describe it to me
tongue.gif
)

On a related note, is "buzzing" as serious as "ringing"? When I was younger and went to a couple (mandatory) concerts (for writing reviews for school assignments) (without earplugs), I would get a ringing for a few hours afterwards, but they always faded after that... but I have never heard of any buzzing. Hm... maybe a question for my audiologist at the next appointment.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #64 of 74
Everything started off great, as it has been for close to a week now. Literally complete silence, aside from the whispers outside. Then, I had a stressful day at work, and the buzzing went apesh*t. Stress must be avoided at all costs.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #65 of 74
I believe that a small amount of noise will be audible naturally, be it blood flow or something similar.

The noise that I hear is only evident in absolute silence. It almost sounds like a constant light breeze. It's very faint though, as crickets outside or the wind outside my window totally drowns it out.

I also believe it to be from some excess wax build up, since the intensity changes often.

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #66 of 74
Actually, buzzing in the ears is completely normal. I read a study that 93% or 95% of people hear ringing if they are put in a completely silent chamber. The question is, when does it become so persistent or so noticeable that it interferes with everyday life.

For me, what's odd is that it completely disappears by morning, I mean zero noise, then starts back up again, at the slightest provocation. And stress is an absolute no no.

So yeah, it's normal. Here's one reference to the study:

http://www.bioportfolio.com/indepth/Tinnitus.html

This is becoming "normal" as abnormal noise levels become more normal. Apparently, there are drugs being developed that can make the noise go away completely but who knows when they'll come to market or how expensive they will be.

Essentially, when it's completely silent, nearly everyone has "tinnitus."

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #67 of 74
It looks like the noise is gone again this morning. I had a very fitful night of sleep this morning, due to construction and airport noise throughout the evening.

Please, protect your hearing. Listen at low levels, and try not to do so for extended periods of time.

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #68 of 74
I had a hearing test and as I suspected, everything turned up normal. I can hear the full frequency response and I can hear very quiet tones and words. The inspection of the ear canal is healthy and normal. The eardrum is normal. The internal hair cells seem to be normal, based upon test results.

The person doing the testing suggested I was a bit "overly concerned" about noises and that my stress may have been contributing to the problem. Their suggestion was to forget about it completely and they think it will go away on it's own.

As before, my mornings are quiet, then normal activity brings the buzzing on again. I hate it.

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #70 of 74
I have a controversial idea. I have abnormally limited the range of sounds I have exposed my ears to over the past several weeks. The results? Buzzing, plus a very high level of sensitivity to "loud" noises. Actually, these loud noises are not loud at all, just a perception due to sensitivity.

What do you think if I exposed myself to truly loud sounds? Such as a jazz band unamplified? And only for a short period of time.

My theory is that my brain needs to hear truly loud sounds in order to get a sense of "quiet" "moderately loud" and "loud." Perhaps this will drive down the noise floor and restore everything to normal?

When I had my hearing test, the audiologist said that I was being a bit paranoid about my hearing, and that everything tested normal and that I had no need to be concerned about normal sound levels at anytime.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #71 of 74
i also unfortunately have tinnitus ( i wouldnt go to the extent of saying suffering as yet) for some time now off and on. its almost always related to prolonged exposure to sound or acute loud sound. duration varies, its worrisome everytime, but touch wood, its always returned to normal levels. the background "whine" has been there since i can remember and its only when it louder than normal that its bothersome. everybody has their own background level depending on environment etc. one can get a little lackadaisical once all is well but i try to keep myself in check.

regards,
asmd.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #72 of 74
I actually went through the experiment I talked about. I exposed myself to some very loud noises. As in fireworks and amp music loud, but only for a short period of time. Now, my hearing is much more normal. I am not as sensitive as I used to be, and the buzzing is very easy to ignore with normal ambient noise, which was not true before. I'm hoping this goes away completely.

Also, minimizing stress and getting plenty of sleep help, too.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #73 of 74
This is the "Head-Fi" forum, isn't it???

Everybody's ears are ringing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back