Buzzing In My Ears
Sep 15, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Becasue headphones are so close to the ear that are more of a problem then cranking up your stereo.

Comments like these aggravate me. Closeness has absolutely nothing to do with it, it's SPL at your ear is what causes hearing damage. The only way closeness has anything to do with it is if someone is stupid enough to listen to headphones at the same volume that they listen to speakers that are 10 feet away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, most commonly this is due to injury from excess loud noise, although there are other less common causes like infection.

Definitely reduce injury to the ears by reducing the volume, getting rest in between listening, and reducing the length of sessions.

Also, loud concerts and clubs and loud work environments are often forgotten. Bring ear plugs just in case, and if you can't easily hear the person standing next to you, you probably should have ear plugs in. Yes, the concert doesn't sound as good, but you'll injure your ears if you don't!

There is a long standing debate about whether to institute laws restricting sound pressure levels even in clubs and concerts, but they're always shot down. I'm pretty sure they are more careful about work environments, though, and even have OSHA standards for this:

Safety and Health Topics: Noise and Hearing Conservation

The last concert I went to, I had to leave half way though because it was too loud even with ear plugs. There was no reason for it. It was in a small theater with about 200 people in attendance and it was arena concert SPLs. Absolutely idiotic, especially for the musicians who weren't using any hearing protection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure I will ever be able to listen to complete silence anymore. Even though I listen at reasonable levels, it seems to affect the ringing.

I once got made some custom molded air plugs with filters, which are supposed to reduce volume by 24db across the spectrum. They do a pretty good job at it. If you are in noisy environments, or go to even just one loud concert a year, this is a really worthwile investment for your hearing and health. They are pretty cool. Using them at concerts, actually makes it easier to follow the music. You get the punch in your body, while at the same time, better distinguish between instruments. My ears are pretty sensitive, in that they get "fed-up" with loud sounds pretty fast, and everything floats together in a screaming, piercing mud. Familiar? Not very pleasant, and definetely not good for your hearing, at most concerts, where the volume is too loud + some more.

I'm curious how much these cost. Are they the Etys. I have the Ety universal plugs, but they don't really isolate enough.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #17 of 74
I've isolated the issue. It comes down to use of headphones with lots of treble response, which I listen to for many hours on end. When I listen to headphones at moderate volumes which have more bass and rolled off treble, I didn't have a problem. I've been listening to headphones with lots of treble now, for 4, 5 6 hours at a time. And my ears start to ring. I just ignored it, because the music and headphones sounded so good. I regret such a simple decision is causing me so much pain now.

Before I had a music player, I would listen to headphones two hours in a row max. And this was movies which had some loud noises but mostly dialogue. So 4 to 6 hours of rock 'n roll consecutive is actually a lot more sound pressure on your ears than a movie at similar volume.

I hope this goes away. I think I am pretty much done with the nightclub scene as a result.

PS: even driving aggravates the buzzing now. I think it's the continual vibration. This sucks.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #18 of 74
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Whenever I've used earplugs in the past there was still ALWAYS some background noise just generated by your mind, even if you have perfect hearing. It's basically your normal physiological functions like blood pumping or a low level hum from your metabolism.

But this is different. This is more like the buzzing I get after exposure to loud music, such as streetblowers, and the like. It's disippating but slowly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also hear a 'ringing' when I go to bed. I also hear it when I press on my ears (closing them). I heard your brain also uses a frequency, so it might be that? I keep my music on an enjoyable volume, but shouldn't be too loud.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #19 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comments like these aggravate me. Closeness has absolutely nothing to do with it, it's SPL at your ear is what causes hearing damage.

This is my understanding and my experience also. Another misconception (as I'm sure you realize, scompton) that makes me roll my eyes is the claim that IEMs are somehow safer, even at what would be unhealthy levels in over-the-ear phones. This is nonsense.

The reason that IEMs are potentially safer is that they provide isolation from outside sound (some IEMs do this better than others) so that it is not necessary to crank them to dangerous levels in order to mask outside sound. If you wish, however, you can turn them up and fry your ears just as easily as you can with over-the-ear phones. I know that you know this, scompton, but I hear this misconception so often that I thought it was worth adding to what you said in your previous post.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am afraid I have contracted a temporary or more than temporary case of tinnitus. It occurred when I used my koss headphones for an extended period of time. I loved the sound quality so much, I listened for hours on end, for days on end. I did notice a ringing sensation in my ears at the end of each day, but ignored it since I loved the music so much.

Also, I had just gotten a new mp3 player and wanted to try it out since it was so new to me. I've never had a problem with tinnitus before, at least not from headphones. I think what's happening is that my ears are very sensitive to a lot of treble response, so the koss ksc75's I have are not so good for my ears, even at moderate volumes. Beware and have fun.

Dude, be carefull. You'll really be sorry when the buzzing dosen't go away anymore.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #21 of 74
Quote:

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Whenever I've used earplugs in the past there was still ALWAYS some background noise just generated by your mind, even if you have perfect hearing. It's basically your normal physiological functions like blood pumping or a low level hum from your metabolism.

But this is different. This is more like the buzzing I get after exposure to loud music, such as streetblowers, and the like. It's disippating but slowly.

I hear that too when I wear earplugs, especially the tri flange ones that go in deeper and isolate well. If I wear earplugs when it's quiet I can hear the 'internal body sounds' like blood flowing. Kinda weird and cool.

But if you're hearing buzzing or ringing, that is definitely something. It would be a good idea to see a doctor. Not a good idea to ignore something that may be wrong with your hearing, especially if headphones are your hobby!
L3000.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 74
I've had a very high-pitched ring (think "television flyback transformer") all my life. I first noticed it when I was about six years old or so, and it's been more or less constant. Once in a very great while it will change to a lower-pitched note (about 1000-2000 Hz) for about 30 seconds or less, and then return to TV flyback transformer pitch.

I've never had a problem with ear infections, and I don't turn headphones (or speakers) to ultra-loud levels - indeed, what I considered to be as loud as I could stand wasn't loud enough for my friends when I was a teenager. The sustained sound level in clubs tends to be more than I can stand, even though I can take short bursts of such levels in classical music (which actually has dynamic range).

Music tends to banish the ring, or at least push it so far into the background that I don't notice it.

I'm also blessed/cursed with absolute pitch (at least in the typical piano range)... the curse is when my chorus goes flat in an a cappella section and I desperately try to stay on pitch.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #23 of 74
With the recent bout of buzzing, I'm just noticing all the industrial hazards to one's hearing. There's a construction site nearby and even standing 20-50 feet outside the fence, the noise is an abomination. You really have to wonder about the workers who are standing right next to the machines operating them day in and day out.

Those streetblowers, gas powered mini truck grass cutters are ridiculous offenders too.

ps; what is tv flyback transformer noise?

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 74
Quote:

what is tv flyback transformer noise?

An extremely high-pitched tone (beyond 10 kHz?), commonly produced by the flyback transformer in old CRT-based TV sets - especially tube-type TVs from the 1960s and '70s.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #25 of 74
Quote:

With the recent bout of buzzing, I'm just noticing all the industrial hazards to one's hearing. There's a construction site nearby and even standing 20-50 feet outside the fence, the noise is an abomination. You really have to wonder about the workers who are standing right next to the machines operating them day in and day out.

Those streetblowers, gas powered mini truck grass cutters are ridiculous offenders too.

No doubt. Sound is sound; if the SPL is high enough, your ears suffer damage. It is incredible, as you point out, how many high dB situations one encounters just walking around. I live in Manhattan, which is being completely torn down and rebuilt, it sometimes seems. Every few blocks I walk past a construction site with very high noise levels.

As far as I know, the heaviest-duty ear protection is from those massive ear-cups that you see runway workers wearing at jetports (you know. the guys that wave the paddles to direct the planes as they taxi). I don't know if you are familiar with Roger Miller from the band Mission of Burma. He developed a serious tinnitus during their original run; when I saw them during their reunion tour earlier this decade, Miller was wearing what looked like exactly the kind of protection you see on runway workers. Makes you think.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #26 of 74
If you end up having tinnitus I'm sorry for you. But cheer up, it's not the end of the world.

I was careless about my hearing until it was too late. I never frequented clubs but one night I was at one and stood practically next to a speaker for several hours. I had ringing in my ears that night when I went to sleep and when I woke up... it never stopped.

If you have permanent tinnitus now, I'll just say that you'll probably notice that sound levels you could previously tolerate now set the ringing off. Pay attention to what your ears are telling you and turn the volume down. It's a short term inconvenience that will save you bigger long term problems.

Also, I'd suggest that you start mentally adjusting to living with it. I've read that some people go to extremes - including one person who had surgery only to find out that he lost his hearing but can still hear the ringing - and the best thing IMO is just to own it and realize that the tinnitus will be with you from now on. I was able to do just that and most of the time I don't even notice it anymore.

Good luck.

Scott

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #27 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious how much these cost. Are they the Etys. I have the Ety universal plugs, but they don't really isolate enough.

Mine says GN Danavox. They are makers of hearing aid and such. I am pretty sure I payed about $250, but it is a long time ago. They also have a 40db filter if I remember correctly. Maybe even more to choose from now.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my understanding and my experience also. Another misconception (as I'm sure you realize, scompton) that makes me roll my eyes is the claim that IEMs are somehow safer, even at what would be unhealthy levels in over-the-ear phones. This is nonsense.

The reason that IEMs are potentially safer is that they provide isolation from outside sound (some IEMs do this better than others) so that it is not necessary to crank them to dangerous levels in order to mask outside sound. If you wish, however, you can turn them up and fry your ears just as easily as you can with over-the-ear phones. I know that you know this, scompton, but I hear this misconception so often that I thought it was worth adding to what you said in your previous post.

Very true. For me, and SPL meter is an essential piece of equipment. I really like to know how loud I'm listening. I'd like to find a pocketable SPL meter that I could carry around all the time. I find it interesting to see how loud certain environments are. Some are surprisingly noisy.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #29 of 74
without IEMs, it is much more comfortable to crank to damaging levels because your ears get used to the background noise. With IEMs, personally, cranking up the volume to 85+ dB is just way too loud without any background noise.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #30 of 74
I've always had a very slight whistling noise in my right ear, but it's not noticeable unless I concentrate on it in a quiet environment... so it really doesn't bother me. Certainly hasn't got worse over time, for which I am grateful for.

To the OP: if the buzzing noise is reducing as you say, then I hope you stay off the headphones for a good while yet. Don't risk it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back