Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #5,116 of 5,364
Quote:
i have to correct me regarding the re400: it starts growing on me. it does pretty much every genre very well. while it is not a wow-factor iem, it is really good allround, comfortable, and non fatiguing for long listening sessions.

LOL! 
biggrin.gif
  I've noticed that almost all of my good IEMs fall into one of two categories.  They're either good because they do a lot of things right.  Or they're good because they do very little wrong.  The RE-400 is definitely the case of the latter.  Doesn't make it any less good, just different. 
smile.gif
  Still spend a little more time with them and see if they're really right for you.

May 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #5,117 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatulentFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I'll add to this that on a whim tonight I picked up a JVC HA-S600 after reading a review that mentioned how comfortable they were - just for the experience. I've found them really uncomfortable, about half an hour is all I can take before my head starts pounding and they're not even very big or tight
frown.gif
They're odd too, because some of the instruments sound ok, but the vocals are really muffled, like I'm in the room with the band but he's singing in the closet. I hadn't planned on keeping them as I really just wanted to try out the over-ears, but the way the reviewer was going on about them I was expecting a little more.

LOL, any review where the sound section begins with "Keep in mind, these are $50 cans" pretty much makes me close that browser tab.  No disrespect to the review, but I know what's coming after that.

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, I totally hate to do this, but can you do a quickie re-post of all the requirements and preferences to date?  It's been a rather busy day, and some of the salient details might have slipped away.  Sorry about that...
redface.gif

No worries! There has been a lot going on the last few days.

Quote:
Hi guys, I've been reading for a few weeks and keep getting stumped on purchases so thought I'd finally join and ask for advice instead of throwing more money away. I'll be using them mostly for gaming (single-player first/third person games) with some classic rock and folk thrown in for good measure. I think I'd prefer more open headphones to closed as I like to be able to hear what's going on around me, even though they'll only be used at home. I do not like bass heavy headphones. My budget is around £30/$50.

I'm looking specifically for on-ear headphones. IEMs tend to hurt and have far too much bass, over-ears I'm afraid block out too much of the outside world and can also be uncomfortable. I've been using some AKG K319 earbuds, which are fine, but there seems to be a lot of sound I'm missing out on because they're so loose. I just have a standard on-board sound card, but would consider a discrete sound card down the road, if it wasn't too expensive, and if it made a difference in the games.

Amongst the ones I've tried are the following:

1. JVC HA-S160 Flats - These were a gift for family that turned out to be pretty good and are what made me decide I was missing way too much with the K319s. Too much bass for me though.
  2. Sennheiser PX100-II - I didn't like these at all. Too much bass and.. distant I suppose. It was like being invited to a concert, only to find out you're only there to set up tables for the after party. Underneath the stage.
  3. Superlux HD668B - I really liked these. I could hear all the instruments, it wasn't bass-heavy, and everything seemed pretty clear. If I remember right, whatever lies just above the bass was a little mottled, but they were really nice over-all. The problem was that they were really, really uncomfortable. I wore them for an hour and had a splitting headache.

So, as a quick recap: I'm looking for on-ear headphones, open or semi-open, mostly for gaming and some classic rock/folk (Zeppelin), not bass-heavy, for around about £30/$50. I'm in the UK so pricing can be a bit different than the US, often much higher. If anyone knows reliable dealers for new or used headsets here that would be helpful as well.

Thanks for reading - any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated! :)

Anyway, there ya have it!
smile.gif

Thanks! 
smile.gif
  Honestly, you want a used SR-80i... you really do.  If you can't do that, then the SR-60i.  The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced of it because you really don't like dark, warm headphones.  I think that you're probably a lot like me in that you like a neutral pair of cans with just a bit of brightness to them.

Yeah that sounds about right.. I like to hear what was played, not what a headphone tells me to hear! I did really like those Superlux, but it was like being tortured at a strip club - I was really torn about the pros and cons!
rolleyes.gif

Well, true transparency tends to get pricey... but the Grado SR-60i and SR-80i will be a huge leap towards that at this price range, so I definitely think that you'll he happy with them. 

Quote:

Looks like I might just have to save up my pennies and keep an eye on the for-sale forums, and ebay, of course. If I find a cheap set of the K420 maybe I'll get that to tide me over, but at £40 that's half a SR-60i and not quite half a SR-80i.. It's only £10 for a set of KSC75 shipped..

Hey you know what?  I just thought of something... maybe a Koss KTXPRO1 would hold you over well.  It's kinda bright - especially for people with a sensitivity to treble - but something tells me that you won't have a big problem with that.  I don't know how much it is across the pond, but it's only $16 here in the States.

Quote:

I'll keep you posted with my final purchase, anyway
gs1000.gif
and if you ever need camera advice, I'm your man!

Thanks again
smile.gif

Of course, totally welcome.  Oh BTW, I think you'd be surprised to know this, but there are a LOT of people interested in photography here... Photo-Fi if you will.  Not anything like DPReview, but still some sizable interest.

May 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #5,118 of 5,364
Quote:
Nobody is helping me!!!!

Best in ear headphones for listening to hip-hop and r&b; price range £100-150; I am not too fussy, just want a good pair of ear phones to take to the gym and out and about!

Dunu DN-19 Tai Chi!!!

May 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #5,119 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I think google translator has made ​​some mistakes.

You gave as judgment on comfort +1. It means that the headphones are not comfortable?

To say that the sound is artificial. It means that the effect resembles loudness?

No. +1 means that he agrees with me that xb500 is comfortable. Sounding artificial means that the sound is unreal and not natural.

Right, exactly what he said. 
smile.gif

May 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #5,120 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Finally I tried the XB500, they are not bad at all, with many songs with bass of them are good, while others are a bit more where it feels a little dry, and gives me the bad emotion that I get with earphones serial Creative Zen .

For the volume to the max I would say that we're here, is higher than the akg K518.
But I feel that the XB500 can give more, I think we need to resort to an amplifier type Fiio those, it seems to me that the E6 is more appropriate, so as to add a name ulteriroe bass boost when needed.

What do you say, I buy the XB500 (which all in all I liked) or take the Jvc ha-s500?

If you like XB500, and you have demoed XB500, go with the XB500. No matter what we say, trying them before buying is the safest bet.

What does mean "demoed"?

As I said I tried them, and for the amount of bass are good for the songs that have already lots of bass, but with other songs that have little bass, the few remain low, it is not like your home stereo amplifier that pressing "loudness "takes the magic.

To increase fullness of sound, I need to buy the FiiO E6 or is money poorly spent?

Demoed means that you tried them. Also, E6 might be worth having if you don't have any headphone amp, but there won't be a big improvement in sound.

Okay, now we're definitely closing in on what he wants. 
biggrin.gif
  Extreme1Bass, get the XB500.  Then, when you are able to afford it, get an amp called the Digizoid ZO2.  Also (and just trust me on this), in the future you can tell people that you are an uber basshead.  You don't have to understand what that means, but trust me in that people will be able to help you a LOT faster if you say that.  Just a little tip. 
wink.gif

May 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #5,121 of 5,364
Quote:
Budget: Preferably around $50, willing to go to $100 max if there is something a lot better at that price point for my criteria

Genres: I listen to a wide range of stuff, but emphasis on electronic (Trance, dance, etc)

Current IEM: Klipsch S4I

Device: IPhone 4S

Preferred: Straight down and comfortable (something I can sleep with). Never tried over the ear but would be open.

That being said, I don't want a lot of bass, something sufficient without being too booming if that helps? A balanced sound similar to that of the UE 500's.On amazon and eligible for Prime shipping. 

Models I'm looking at
-Westone UM1
-Shure 215 (What is the difference between the K live sound monitor, and the CL sound isolating?)
-something from Etymotics? 
-UE 500 (had then lost it, wouldn't mind buying again)
-Some of the Cosmic Ears and Heir Audio's I've seen referenced here look interesting, but if I was going to get one of those, free and quick shipping would be needed.
- HiFiMan RE-0 (Unavailable on Amazon)

Any other recommendations? 

A question about sizing for headphones: I recently bought Klipsch Image One's that are supposed to be on ear. I have a big head, and although the fit is comfortable enough, the bottom of my ear lobes stick a little from the bottom of the headphones. Is this ok or does it mean that they're too small? 

Thanks for the help! 

I haven't heard it, but if you like the UE500 and you're okay with re-buying it, that might be a good option here.  It's on sale at Amazon right now for only $25, which is a pretty good deal.

May 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #5,122 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey, I've specially registered here to post this. I need help in choosing the IEMs. I live in Poland and some of Your recommended IEMs could be unavailable here. Thanks for replies and help! Hope that will help. I couldn't afford myself for experimenting with IEMs and it would be better if the recommendations include the postage costs (around 5$ in Poland).

What IEM would you suggest for me?

Budget: Around $25-30 (as I live in Poland, it's 100 PLN), really 20-25$ (the missing 5$ is the shipping cost).

Genres: Electronic (not the modern spawn-offs like dubstep or so, I love Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk and appreciate the music of Depeche Mode, Vangelis, Radio Massacre International) and Metal (Slayer is my favourite but I also listen to Metallica and Iron Maiden), Rock (favourite: Beatles but I am discovering the music of The Rolling Stones and sometimes I listen to Pink Floyd or Mike Oldfield (this guy should be listed by me even in Classical - he did (nearly) everything during his career).

Current IEM: quite cheap Panasonic IEMs (around half of my budget, paid for them 50 PLN and they were my first IEMs)

Device: iPod 5G, 80 GB, rockboxed (would love to have the 120 GB one :p)

Preferred: Straight down, I can't stand over the ear IEMs (never tried them :)). Would love the good isolation (as I am using IEMs for commuting). I have a small ears (had to use S-sized tips with my IEMs).

Hmm... is 100 PLN a pretty hard budget?

May 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #5,123 of 5,364
Quote:

Hmm... is 100 PLN a pretty hard budget?

Yes. It's possible to buy Superlux HD681 (even with shipping! - I own them). And it's a big cash for me. I couldn't afford myself an headphones / earphones more expensive than 100 PLN. It's not like 5- 10$, it's ~1-2 days of work. Though under 100 PL (25-30-$) there is a big choice but it's too big for me. I don't know which ones I should take. And my musical taste is very rare...

May 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #5,124 of 5,364
Quote:

Yes. It's possible to buy Superlux HD681 (even with shipping! - I own them). And it's a big cash for me. I couldn't afford myself an headphones / earphones more expensive than 100 PLN. It's not like 5- 10$, it's ~1-2 days of work. Though under 100 PL (25-30-$) there is a big choice but it's too big for me. I don't know which ones I should take. And my musical taste is very rare...

Hmm. Can you tell me what kind of sound you want? Like amount of bass, mid(vocal/string), and highs(cymbals, some high pitched things).

May 30, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #5,125 of 5,364
Quote:

I haven't heard it, but if you like the UE500 and you're okay with re-buying it, that might be a good option here.  It's on sale at Amazon right now for only $25, which is a pretty good deal.

I've narrowed it down to the 500's and the HiFiMan RE-400. I'm not sure though. Debating if I want to fork out another $75 to move up to the RE-400. I saw your earlier post, how much do you like them? Would you pay more for them? And do they offer the balanced sound and sufficient bass that I'm looking for? 

May 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #5,126 of 5,364
Quote:

biggrin.gif
  Extreme1Bass, get the XB500.  Then, when you are able to afford it, get an amp called the Digizoid ZO2.  Also (and just trust me on this), in the future you can tell people that you are an uber basshead.  You don't have to understand what that means, but trust me in that people will be able to help you a LOT faster if you say that.  Just a little tip. 
wink.gif

+1 yup. Super basshead. XB500 without any boost was too much bass for me. I could have never imagined someone saying that it lacks bass. Anyways, Digizoid ZO2 does have a reputation for being a great bass booster.

May 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5,127 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

+1 yup. Super basshead. XB500 without any boost was too much bass for me. I could have never imagined someone saying that it lacks bass. Anyways, Digizoid ZO2 does have a reputation for being a great bass booster.

LOL, same here! 
biggrin.gif
  I mean I like bass.  Sometimes I like a lot of bass.  But, you know, DAYAM! 
eek.gif
  Anyway...

May 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5,128 of 5,364
Quote:
Hmm. Can you tell me what kind of sound you want? Like amount of bass, mid(vocal/string), and highs(cymbals, some high pitched things).

I don't know. I'm not an audiophile. I'm a bit lost. :) Good bass (but not to hear the bass only) with good mids. I have impaired hearing (left ear = completely off, right one is probably lower than 20kHz). The features of Superlux HD681 is good for me. I love them.

May 30, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #5,129 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Also, RadTang, is there a Polish online site that would give us an idea of what models are available and how much they cost over there?  I think that would definitely help a lot.  Thanks!

May 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #5,130 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

I've narrowed it down to the 500's and the HiFiMan RE-400. I'm not sure though. Debating if I want to fork out another $75 to move up to the RE-400. I saw your earlier post, how much do you like them? Would you pay more for them? And do they offer the balanced sound and sufficient bass that I'm looking for? 

In terms of balanced sound, yes.  In terms of sufficient bass, no.  So having said that, I'm not exactly sure that you'd like the RE-400 that much... and probably not for $75 more.  Personally, I think that is is a fantastic IEM for $100, definitely worth the money.  But it's going to have a flatter signature than any of the other stuff you mentioned.

If you're looking for something in between the two, the UE600 would be it though.  It's more balanced than the UE500, and it's more bassy than the RE-400.  It's also on sale for $50 at Amazon right now, which is a nice bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back