Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 30, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #5,146 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatulentFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks like I might just have to save up my pennies and keep an eye on the for-sale forums, and ebay, of course. If I find a cheap set of the K420 maybe I'll get that to tide me over, but at £40 that's half a SR-60i and not quite half a SR-80i.. It's only £10 for a set of KSC75 shipped..

Hey you know what?  I just thought of something... maybe a Koss KTXPRO1 would hold you over well.  It's kinda bright - especially for people with a sensitivity to treble - but something tells me that you won't have a big problem with that.  I don't know how much it is across the pond, but it's only $16 here in the States.

KTXPRO1 can be had for about £16 shipped, which isn't far off the £20 shipped for the Porta Pro or £18 for the Sporta Pro - but I suspect those two are too bass-centric...

Right, I don't think you should consider the Porta Pro because it will be too bassy for your preferences.  The Sporta Pro even more so as I believe it's essentially a closed (or semi-open) Porta Pro.

May 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5,147 of 5,364
Quote:

RedTang, first I just want to say that I have not heard ANY of the models I am about to suggest.  So, please do NOT take this as a recommendation... more of a suggestion as two ones you should do more research on, okay? 
smile.gif

If I were to choose blindly from the ones on that site, based on impressions from my fellow Head-Fiers, I would choose the following (in this order):  (a) SoundMagic PL50; (b) Denon AH-C260; (c) Brainwavz Beta.

I hope that helps. 
redface.gif
  kimvictor, you got anything picked from that site?

Not really. I cannot load that page for some reason.

May 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5,148 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation! (google translate that word had not translated)

I avoid throwing money on the Fiio E6.
But at a cost similar to the FiiO E6, I can take a good amplifier?
Wow!
It must be awesome!

Too bad it's expensive!
For the amp I would like to spend less than $ 40.

Stupid question:
is better to spend $ 70 for headphones that need an amp of at least $ 40, or you can find headphones with the characteristics that I seek spending $ 100 and you do not need the amp?

I feel like you won't need a real amplifier for XB500. If you want bass boost for under $50, you can find Fiio E11 used for $40-50. E11 will be more than enough to drive XB500. But E06 seems fine too. I would not worry too much about amping until you get to iem/headphones in $200 range.

+1 to the amping.  Extreme, it will always be better to place more money on headphones as opposed to amps, because the headphones make the most difference in terms of sound signature.

Another suggestion as far as amps go... if you have access to parts and you know how to solder, maybe you could build your own bass boost CMoy amp?

May 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #5,149 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
I've forgotten something. A friend of mine owns SoundMagic PL11 and he's happy with them (he also have some cheaper Grado headphones). They are in around 3/4 of my budget (~25$). Are they good for classic electronic music?

I read that they distort at loud volumes. That may not be too good for electronic music.

Okay, no worries.  A lot of it is just Skullcandy and iHome-type junk.  I posted the three best standouts above.  Hopefully one of those will meet with his approval.

May 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #5,150 of 5,364
Quote:

Of course you are welcome!  kimvictor and I are glad that you found the one that's right for you. 
smile.gif

Yes, you're right.  I don't think you can find better bass under $70.  The XB500 is definitely a good choice for you.

As for the amp, I see what you mean now.  In that case, yes I definitely suggest that you get a bass boosting amp.  Raising volume levels just to get more bass can easily result in hearing damage, so a bass boosting amp would be A VERY GOOD IDEA for you. 
smile.gif

smile.gif
  Tag team power!!!

I know I should buy the XB500, I'm not 100% sure but 85%.
smily_headphones1.gif

The seller was by my side, I did not feel completely at ease, so I could not check for good quality materials of XB500.

I got the impression that the headband of the headphones is not adjustable.
When I listened, I had in this position:

If I tried to put them in this way, the pad is not well supported on the ears:

Is this normal?

Regarding the sound quality, to have a nice amount of bass to an average volume, you must purchase a headphone amplifier.
Spending less than $ 40 you do not find anything that would satisfy me?
Quote:
I feel like you won't need a real amplifier for XB500. If you want bass boost for under $50, you can find Fiio E11 used for $40-50. E11 will be more than enough to drive XB500. But E06 seems fine too. I would not worry too much about amping until you get to iem/headphones in $200 range.

The FiiO E11 is a little expensive for me.

I found the FiiO E3 $ 25, is good or better is FiiO E6?

If you tell me that the FiiO E11 is better and meets my audio prompts, I will check when you lower the price (in Italy costs € 58, about $ 75).

May 30, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #5,151 of 5,364
Quote:
I know I should buy the XB500, I'm not 100% sure but 85%.
smily_headphones1.gif

The seller was by my side, I did not feel completely at ease, so I could not check for good quality materials of XB500.

I got the impression that the headband of the headphones is not adjustable.

If I tried to put them in this way, the pad is not well supported on the ears.

Is this normal?

Regarding the sound quality, to have a nice amount of bass to an average volume, you must purchase a headphone amplifier.
Spending less than $ 40 you do not find anything that would satisfy me?
The FiiO E11 is a little expensive for me.

I found the FiiO E3 $ 25, is good or better is FiiO E6?

If you tell me that the FiiO E11 is better and meets my audio prompts, I will check when you lower the price (in Italy costs € 58, about $ 75).

The materials are durable plastic. They are quite flexible, so I won't worry too much. The headband are adjustable(I don't get what you mean. sorry). The headband should be on you head so that the weight is spread evenly.

Also, you need an bass boost, not an amplification. E3 and E6 would both be good for bass boost, but it seems like E11 is more popular on head-fi for better bass boost. I don't know whether e6 is better than e3 or the other way around. Here is the thing: if you are planning on upgrading your headphones later on, it may be safer to buy the E11, but if it is just for XB500 and bass boost, E3 and E6 would be fine.

May 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #5,152 of 5,364
Quote:

Right, I don't think you should consider the Porta Pro because it will be too bassy for your preferences.  The Sporta Pro even more so as I believe it's essentially a closed (or semi-open) Porta Pro.

I'll look for the KTXPRO1 to hold me over then - though if I can sell a couple of these camera lenses I have lying around I won't need to wait long! Once again, many thanks
smile_phones.gif

May 30, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #5,153 of 5,364
Quote:
The materials are durable plastic. They are quite flexible, so I won't worry too much. The headband are adjustable(I don't get what you mean. sorry). The headband should be on you head so that the weight is spread evenly.

Also, you need an bass boost, not an amplification. E3 and E6 would both be good for bass boost, but it seems like E11 is more popular on head-fi for better bass boost. I don't know whether e6 is better than e3 or the other way around. Here is the thing: if you are planning on upgrading your headphones later on, it may be safer to buy the E11, but if it is just for XB500 and bass boost, E3 and E6 would be fine.

Because of how wearing headphones I had come to doubt that the headband is not adjustable. (it is important to adjust the headband of the headphones, so you can adapt to anyone's head.)

The Creative Zen I activated EQ disco + Bass Boost + smart volume (This feature avoids distort the sound with high volumes).

I'm just sick of bass
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

About the XB500, unfortunate that the bass do not give the feeling of shaking the cranial bones 
darthsmile.gif

Before you spend money on Fiio E6 or E11 should I use the XB500 at least 2 months. But if the situation does not change, then buy it.

May 30, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #5,154 of 5,364
Quote:
Because of how wearing headphones I had come to doubt that the headband is not adjustable. (it is important to adjust the headband of the headphones, so you can adapt to anyone's head.)

The Creative Zen I activated EQ DISCo + Bass Boost + smart volume (This feature avoids distort the sound with high volumes).

I'm just sick of bass
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

About the XB500, unfortunate that the bass do not give the feeling of shaking the cranial bones 
darthsmile.gif

Before you spend money on Fiio E6 or E11 should I use the XB500 at least 2 months. But if the situation does not change, then buy it.

Good idea. XB500 had skull crushing bass for me. But I'm a mid/treble head that's not used to bassy phones.

May 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5,155 of 5,364
Quote:

In terms of balanced sound, yes.  In terms of sufficient bass, no.  So having said that, I'm not exactly sure that you'd like the RE-400 that much... and probably not for $75 more.  Personally, I think that is is a fantastic IEM for $100, definitely worth the money.  But it's going to have a flatter signature than any of the other stuff you mentioned.

If you're looking for something in between the two, the UE600 would be it though.  It's more balanced than the UE500, and it's more bassy than the RE-400.  It's also on sale for $50 at Amazon right now, which is a nice bonus.

Thanks warren! I went with the UE 600's and for an extra $3.99, they'll be here tomorrow! Oh the joys of Prime shipping. Really excited to try these out! 

May 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5,156 of 5,364
May 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #5,157 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

I'll look for the KTXPRO1 to hold me over then - though if I can sell a couple of these camera lenses I have lying around I won't need to wait long! Once again, many thanks
smile_phones.gif

Anytime! 
smile.gif

May 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #5,158 of 5,364
Quote:

BTW, "sick of bass" means that you don't like bass anymore. 
biggrin.gif

BTW what does it mean?

the expression I used was to say that I really like the bass
biggrin.gif

Since you own the XB500, if you noticed when they were new with the average volumes the sound was very full-bodied (with less bass) than now?

For the headset amplifier do you think?
(I decided to buy the XB500 and use it without amplifier for at least 1 or 2 months. If we did not have to convince me, I will take an amplifier like the FiiO E6 or E11. Which one do you prefer? Now you know my tastes, in addition to these there FiiO There are others better about spending less than $ 50?)

May 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #5,159 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
BTW, "sick of bass" means that you don't like bass anymore. 
biggrin.gif

BTW what does it mean?

the expression I used was to say that I really like the bass
biggrin.gif

Since you own the XB500, if you noticed when they were new with the average volumes the sound was very full-bodied (with less bass) than now?

For the headset amplifier do you think?
(I decided to buy the XB500 and use it without amplifier for at least 1 or 2 months. If we did not have to convince me, I will take an amplifier like the FiiO E6 or E11. Which one do you prefer? Now you know my tastes, in addition to these there FiiO There are others better about spending less than $ 50?)

BTW is an acronym for "by the way."  We use it to point out something that is related in topic, but not a direct point... a supplemental piece of information.

Right, we understand.  Just letting you know that if you say "sick of bass" to other people, they will think you don't like bass.

In my experience, there has not been a significant change between new and now for my XB500.  But please know that I only have about 10 hours of listening time on them, so they're are pretty much still new.

Well, if you are sticking to a budget, then I would say go with an E5 or an E6.  I prefer the E5 because of the better build quality and materials.

May 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #5,160 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

In terms of balanced sound, yes.  In terms of sufficient bass, no.  So having said that, I'm not exactly sure that you'd like the RE-400 that much... and probably not for $75 more.  Personally, I think that is is a fantastic IEM for $100, definitely worth the money.  But it's going to have a flatter signature than any of the other stuff you mentioned.

If you're looking for something in between the two, the UE600 would be it though.  It's more balanced than the UE500, and it's more bassy than the RE-400.  It's also on sale for $50 at Amazon right now, which is a nice bonus.

Thanks warren! I went with the UE 600's and for an extra $3.99, they'll be here tomorrow! Oh the joys of Prime shipping. Really excited to try these out! 

Yay! 
smile.gif
  I was very pleasantly surprised by them.  If you do a search in this very thread (should be about 2 weeks ago), I posted my initial impressions of them as some people had asked for them.  That should go into more detail as far as what to expect.

Personally, I'm a little scared of Prime and what that will do to my wallet.  It's the devil's work I tell ya! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back