Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,441 of 5,364
Quote:
I think you may have mis read my post, I was actually asking about the sound leakage on the HD25

Oh, well I tend to see isolation and leakage as two sides of the same coin.  But I would have to say that there is relatively insignificant leakage from the HD 25-1-II.  At least, I've never had any complaints or odd glances thrown my way.  Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I don't remember there being that much leakage from the K67 at the meet either when others were auditioning it.  Honestly can't say which leaks less, but I would say that neither leaked significantly.

May 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #4,442 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
I see, no worries. 
smile.gif
  If you truly want a lot of bass, then you should get the XB500.  But in my experience, I do not think it will be necessary and you will sacrifice a lot.  My XB500 have a lot of bass.  That's good.  But the mids and highs are not very good.  That's bad. 

Thank you!
So I do not consider the XB500.

Remain the JVC HA-S500 (I've heard well, they have some nice bass as I like (I think), and there are also the Creative Aurvana Live I believe, however, have less bass.

Not having the opportunity to try the headphones, it's really hard to choose! (as I said a moment ago, I was lucky enough to try the AKG K518 but I did not like)

What choice do you recommend?
(headphones that will  take, I would sound good with most mp3 players. Now I have a Creative Zen, but later I could change it with a Cowon or a Philips, you do not know, we'll see!)

You're very welcome.  I'll explain further.

There is trend for beginning audiophiles to like bass.  It is understandable.  Bass is exciting and fun!  It makes you feel alive and want to dance.  It's great. 

But soon, that novice audiophile will want highs (treble) instead.  Because highs have a lot of detail and makes things sound clear. 

After that, they decide they want good mids, because much of the musical information (voices, instruments, etc.) are in the mids.  This is not always true, but it is very common.

If you follow the same trend, once you leave the bass phase, you will not like the XB500.  This is the reason why I suggested the Pioneer.  It will let you adjust the sound signature, so that you are not stuck with only one sound.

I have not heard the CAL or the JVC HA-S500.  But many of my friends here say that both are good, so I don't think they will be bad choices.  I'm afraid that you will have to make the final decision there.

As for your MP3 player, I do not have a specific suggestion.  However I would advise you to pay attention to two very important things.  First, try to pick one that does not have a lot of hiss or background noise.  Second, try to find one that will play lossless files (like FLAC).

Please let me know if Google is not translating this well and I can try to use different wording.

May 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4,443 of 5,364
  Can you (or anyone) give me a good recommendation on a good earphone (noise cancelling) with an attached mic and volume controls for an android smartphone?  I listen to spotify all the time as I'm walking around outside and also exercising, so they would have to be somewhat rugged.  I really love the design of the Klipsch S4 Rugged in terms of the huge + and - buttons but unfortuneatly it's only for iphones and apple products.  Yes, there is an Klipsch S4 with a mic and controls for android but I'm concerned about people complaining about the noise of the cord touching anything in terms of movement etc, and I also want something a bit more unique looking I guess even though the S4 is a proven best bang for the buck earphone as mentioned by cnet many times.

As for music preferences I really like big bass (I currently love my Velodyne Vpulse, so something similar in terms of that bright, punchy sound profile) but with inline mic and volume for android.  My velodyne's are only for apple products as well, if not it would be perfect for me etc.  I want to stay around 100.00 total max for my price range.  Thanks in advance to any replies!

May 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4,444 of 5,364
Quote:

I think that you're gonna have to pick between quantity and quality here.  Not sure we can go further without prioritizing one or the other.

I like the visceral feel of the Atrio MG7's bass, but I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little bit of quantity for a better soundstage & separation.

I've been eyeing the Earsonics SM3s (latest revision) but I can eye them all I want, it's hard to get a feel for them without hearing them! :p

Basically something with a similar sound signature and performance of the HE-400s will satisfy me.

May 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #4,445 of 5,364
Quote:

You're very welcome.  I'll explain further.

There is trend for beginning audiophiles to like bass.  It is understandable.  Bass is exciting and fun!  It makes you feel alive and want to dance.  It's great. 

But soon, that novice audiophile will want highs (treble) instead.  Because highs have a lot of detail and makes things sound clear. 

After that, they decide they want good mids, because much of the musical information (voices, instruments, etc.) are in the mids.  This is not always true, but it is very common.

If you follow the same trend, once you leave the bass phase, you will not like the XB500.  This is the reason why I suggested the Pioneer.  It will let you adjust the sound signature, so that you are not stuck with only one sound.

I have not heard the CAL or the JVC HA-S500.  But many of my friends here say that both are good, so I don't think they will be bad choices.  I'm afraid that you will have to make the final decision there.

As for your MP3 player, I do not have a specific suggestion.  However I would advise you to pay attention to two very important things.  First, try to pick one that does not have a lot of hiss or background noise.  Second, try to find one that will play lossless files (like FLAC).

Please let me know if Google is not translating this well and I can try to use different wording.

You were very clear, and google has translated well :)

I know, the Pioneer se-mj751 were perfect thanks to the bass control. The problem is that they are a little expensive, costing € 77 in Italy (around $ 100)
The impedance is 16 Ohm, so they are great for mp3 players, are exploited very well I'd say!

I have read some positive reviews and 1 negative, where the user complained they were tight and hurt it's ears.

It seems to me that these Pioneer se-mj751 are not famous in the forum as other models like the CAL, etc..

What do you think, if I choose-mj751 waiting for it to lower the price around 50 € (70 $)?

For the new mp3 player, I will take it when my ZEN will have problems :wink:

May 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #4,447 of 5,364
A "U" is just a less-steeper "V" really.  I haven't heard the Fischer Audio Consonance.  However, ClieOS's observation (which I largely trust BTW) is that it is it's "mildly U-shaped sounding with strong bottom end" so I'm inclined to believe that you're right on that one.  

Yes, I guess that should be the type of sound I like. With a tighter bass and slightly clearer vocals, detailed and clear highs. I used to be a basshead, but after using my consonance for a while, I went back to use my audio technica cks55, and it sounds terribly muddy ugh.

May 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #4,449 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey all, first time registerer and semi-long time lurker here. I've spent a lot of time on these boards the past couple weeks and I'm looking for a new pair of IEM's. I currently own a pair of the Hifiman RE-ZERO's (not the RE0!). I'm looking for a bit of an upgrade. I love the IEMs, but feel as though they lack in bass quantity. I'm not a basshead but I definitely appreciate it haha. I feel as though the RE-ZERO's have incredibly accurate bass, but there's just not enough of it for me. I bought a pair of cans, the Audio Technica M50's since they seem raved about. While I definitely enjoy them, they don't seem like as detailed and accurate as the RE-ZERO's and I like the RE-ZERO's better as a result. So, I think the sound signature I'm looking for is one that is a mix between balanced and analytical as possible across the spectrum while remaining accurate and true to sound with a good soundstage. I've done a little bit of research and feel as though the Ortofon eq-5's seem to fit the bill, but I'm not sure, hence why I'm here :). Could anyone recommend me some IEMs that match my sound signature with a budget of around $200. I'd be willing to spend an extra 20-30 if it's really worth it. Thank you!

EDIT: Comfort, isolation, microphonics, etc aren't that big of an issue to me, but they should be decent at worst. I believe with the budget there shouldn't be too many issues finding a good IEM, I'm mainly focused on the sound here, not other factors.

What did you end up getting ?? i think i need same sound signature .

May 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4,450 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
I think that you're gonna have to pick between quantity and quality here.  Not sure we can go further without prioritizing one or the other.

I like the visceral feel of the Atrio MG7's bass, but I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little bit of quantity for a better soundstage & separation.  I've been eyeing the Earsonics SM3s (latest revision) but I can eye them all I want, it's hard to get a feel for them without hearing them! :p  Basically something with a similar sound signature and performance of the HE-400s will satisfy me.

Totally wish I could help here, really do.  Just sucks as I've never heard either the Atrio MG7 or Earsonics SM3.  Also, not very well versed with the HE-400 at all.  Do you happen to know what you want in relation to something in my inventory?

Quote:
You were very clear, and google has translated well :)

smile.gif
  Good, I am glad.

Quote:
I know, the Pioneer se-mj751 were perfect thanks to the bass control. The problem is that they are a little expensive, costing € 77 in Italy (around $ 100)

What do you think, if I choose-mj751 waiting for it to lower the price around 50 € (70 $)?

Wow, that is a little bit expensive.  They are only $65 here.  I would wait a little while and see if the price drops further.

Also, there is a related model called the SE-MJ721... DO NOT GET THAT ONE.  The quality is worse, the sound is worse, and it does not have the dual drivers.  I do not recommend it.

How much are the CAL and S500 in Italy?

Quote:
I have read some positive reviews and 1 negative, where the user complained they were tight and hurt it's ears.

Yes, that is partially true.  It depends on how large your head is.  If you have a wide head, they might not be comfortable for long periods.  I have a normal sized head, so it is fine for me.

Quote:
It seems to me that these Pioneer se-mj751 are not famous in the forum as other models like the CAL, etc..

Yes, that's true.  It is more accurate to say that they are not famous at all.  It was released quietly and without much marketing, so it is not well known at all.  But I have one and I must say that it's not bad

Quote:
For the new mp3 player, I will take it when my ZEN will have problems :wink:

Good idea.  I don't think you need to upgrade right now.

May 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4,451 of 5,364
Quote:
I posted here a few days ago asking for advice on portable headphones with bass. How are the JVC HAS600B's? Thank you!

Mind you, I have not heard them, but I had the exact same question a couple of weeks ago.  I was told that they basically suck something awful.

Quote:
Quote:
A "U" is just a less-steeper "V" really.  I haven't heard the Fischer Audio Consonance.  However, ClieOS's observation (which I largely trust BTW) is that it is it's "mildly U-shaped sounding with strong bottom end" so I'm inclined to believe that you're right on that one.  

Yes, I guess that should be the type of sound I like. With a tighter bass and slightly clearer vocals, detailed and clear highs. I used to be a basshead, but after using my consonance for a while, I went back to use my audio technica cks55, and it sounds terribly muddy ugh.

A "V" is generally a basshead's preferred signature.  The highs are there just to make them feel like it's not ALL about bass, even if it is ALL about bass.  Not putting bassheads down, I was one, and still enjoy some skull rumbling from time to time.  A "U" tends to be the first step when breaking out of that.

May 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #4,452 of 5,364
Sounds like you would really like the xba-30 for that matter. I found the following figure that best describes the differences between the xba models:
WD-Sony-XBA-Graphs.jpg

As these graphs give the general idea, the differences with the xba x0-series is negliable. The xba30 on paper would give you a warmer sound with better bass extension, while reviews report its instrument seperation and soundstage are great.

I personally love the eq5, but if you already like the xba-1, the xba-30 seems to be a more natural progression for what you are looking for. Try asking people in the xba30 appreciation thread and good luck!

Also, TwinQY recommends the TDK BA200 a lot for these requirements, but I have no reference unfortunately. May be worth checking out though!

Thanks again!
I'll check the alternatives' reviews whenever I have a more stable internet connection.

I don't really understand the graph but if I'm not wrong, I assumed that the higher it could response mean the better sound it could produce? And correct me if I'm wrong, does low frequency equals to bass while high frequency is treble instead, in these kind of graph? And what exactly is "Tweeter"?

I'm also confused about why Xba 30 would better than Xba 40. Not that I believed in higher price resemble higher quality, just that I'm curious on why it turned out to be that. I've seen some other opinions on how they prefer Xba 3 /30 over the rest of Xba's but I didn't dig it in deep enough since it's doesn't hold a majority and the numbers are low, so I personally categorized their experiences as personal preference, which I'll read it further if I can get a confirmation first.

Well, I'm sorry if I asked too much but there isn't any Sony centre or any other audio gear shops available around my living region so my only choice to obtain one is mail them in.

Thanks again!

May 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #4,453 of 5,364
Just a note, I have the XBA-4 and it's extremely picky with it's source. It really does need something with a clean output and relatively high voltage to sound good (i.e not so great out of mobile phones etc).

They are the most detailed and nuanced IEMs I've heard, but I wouldn't call them neutral. A slight U shape is how I'd describe their sound signature, however I wouldn't say the sub-bass/bass is as pronounced as those frequency charts would indicate.

I'd recommend them without a second thought, as long as you've got a good source.

May 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #4,454 of 5,364
Quote:

A "V" is generally a basshead's preferred signature.  The highs are there just to make them feel like it's not ALL about bass, even if it is ALL about bass.  Not putting bassheads down, I was one, and still enjoy some skull rumbling from time to time.  A "U" tends to be the first step when breaking out of that.

Haha I'm looking forward to clarity and details.. need a break from all that rumbling for awhile XD

May 15, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #4,455 of 5,364
Quote:
Hmm im not sure if vocals is considered mid or treble. I think I would like a balance, but more on mids and lows. I tried shures bt didnt like their sound tho, feels very closed in :/ despite people saying that they are mids centered iems

Vocals are within the midrange, yes.

Well, taking into account the tight bass and the stage size, and that you want a bass-to-mid centric signature (the closed-in nature doesn't really have much to do with the balancing unless they were excessively warm or lacked decay/reverb which the Shures really don't - that's more about staging on its own) - will have to stick with the BA200 rec - wide staging, fills all of the criteria, etc.

Quote:
Is there any IEMs with similar performance and sound signature to the Hifiman HE-400s?

Features I'm looking for are transparent, excellent, controlled bass extention with both quantity and quality, warm mids and detailed yet smooth highs (I hate sibilance and ear piercing highs).

I listen to a lot of EDM (deadmau5, Daft Punk, Armin Van Buuren) , neo-classical (ES Posthumus), alternative (Moby, Coldplay)  and even some old-school rap (Icecube, Tupac, Biggie).

So I guess what I'm asking for is a jack of all trades if there is such a thing :p

Budget is $300-400.

I might add I've been using the Atrio M5 (MG7) for a while and I love them, but I'd like something with a better soundstage and separation.

I think I've mentioned this comparison to the HE-400 several times, but the usual contenders would be the UE900, W3, or the PFE232. The Westones and Phonaks are not as smooth or warm, and the price is way above budget. So in this case it'd probably be the UE900 again. Clarity is amazing, midrange is quite transparent, extension is fantastic both ways, slight warmth and treble is definitely sparkly but smooth. I've been recommending this one way too much due to the circumstance but they really do fit all of the criteria. 

Quote:
Thank you both for your help with this. And Sorry TwinQY, I hope I didn't interrupt your vacation! I had been reviewing the massive IEM review article here on head-fi, and it seemed that the W4, SE535, and UE900 were good but with individual pluses and minuses. I am definitely open to any other model that may be better if the UE900 isn't the best matchup for the music I listen to, and what I am looking for.

Oh, no problem at all.
Well you know which rec I'm going to stand by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauhak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Well, as I mentioned earlier I can still sacrifice a lil on other spectrum but never on sub-bass region :p.
    I need rumbling bass that can be felt rather than being heard. I guess ex1000 doesn't have bass that Im looking for.
    Sub bass similar to mh1c, or atrio mg7.

Oh, no, not at all. The EX1000s have really good texture, some of the best, and sub bass is emphasized as you can see with measurements. Subjectively the subbass and the texture adds together for oodles of rumble.

Quote:
Sure!  I wish I could say, but as I haven't really heard the triple.fi, I just can't.  However, going back to the DT1350 = UE700 = T70p thing earlier, I just found out something interesting:

Not too bad eh?  I seemed to have scored a lucky shot in the dark there.  I believe the UE700 is also cheaper than the Triple.fi?

The note are less rounded on the 700s but the TF10s can be a bit more mid-bassy and warmer (and the TF10s aren't even that mid-bassy in the grand scheme of things). Otherwise they share that similar sense of clarity within the note presentation.

Once you take into account the ergonomics, vastly better on the 700's front...

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why not an MH1C or MG7?  I haven't heard either, but if they're already under consideration, maybe worth a try?  Oh also, this might help:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/640788/40-iem-battle-royale-rha-ma-350-added-3-1-13  Looks like a VSonic GR01 Bass Edition is the one you want.

I think he already has the MH1C :p

Also I think you meant GR07 BEs :p

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for about a year or so. I am looking for a new pair of all-purpose IEMs that I can use for the commute and at the gym. For extended listening I have a pair of JVC HA-S500s with HM5 mods and love it. I recently was using the Sony MH1Cs as my primary IEMs but they recently broke (i.e. i put them in the washing machine :frowning2: whoops).

--Looking for something that sounds similar to the MH1Cs but preferably with more comfortable fit/cable.
--Budget is ~70 USD but I'm fairly flexible
--Tempted to buy the Zero Audio DX210s that have been getting hype in the discovery thread but am flexible here as well
--Preferably gym-wearable

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and also thanks head-fi for opening up my eyes and ears to the world of headphones beyond apple earbuds.

MH1C-like, better comfort/ergonomics, ~$70 - while they aren't as subbassy the GR02 Bass Editions might work out (for more subbass there's the GR99 - but the treble simply isn't as present as with the Sonys). The cable is classic VSonic - smooth (I might even call them slippery) and thick and very well-built. The treble is also more along the lines of the S500 more than a lot of the other options out there.

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing can really be concretely defined as a "step up". Again, wrought with errors of a semantic nature here. It's really iffy unless you were to solely go by tiering in terms of levels of technical proficiency. Which, again, disregards any preference in terms of signature and the likes.

That being said, I'll go for the bait and ask whether or not you want something with a similar sound signature but better in terms of technicalities, or you just want something better overall.

a similar sound signature definitely.

And a budget or anything in terms of criteria on comfort or fit or build would be helpful :D

Otherwise the FXT90s come to mind, but again, above criteria might not mesh well with this one, who knows.

Quote:
Quote:
Hello! Thank you for the input and it gives me a lot of information!

Well, all I can say is that I'm grateful to have xba 1, it does provide all I need from what an earphone should give, by my own preference. But I think it's never the worse to have an upgrade.

What I can describe for what I want from this upgrade is that, I think, a better separation of instruments, a wider area of sound fields, more clarity and...darker bass, since I'm more into instrumental, ambient music and more preferably to chanting if it comes to vocal. Or you could simply tag all of my music and songs to tranquil, eerie, dark feeling and, you know, something in the shadow but not under the sun.

I hope you could give more information as that'll help me to make a better decision! And of course, while personal experiences are different with individuals, I'll take the opinions and measure it with my own scale then make an overall decision. I won't blame anyone for that matter, since it's my own decision to pull out my wallet and pay for it

So, please give me more information or other alternatives!

Thanks!

Sounds like you would really like the xba-30 for that matter. I found the following figure that best describes the differences between the xba models:

As these graphs give the general idea, the differences with the xba x0-series is negliable. The xba30 on paper would give you a warmer sound with better bass extension, while reviews report its instrument seperation and soundstage are great.

I personally love the eq5, but if you already like the xba-1, the xba-30 seems to be a more natural progression for what you are looking for. Try asking people in the xba30 appreciation thread and good luck!

Also, TwinQY recommends the TDK BA200 a lot for these requirements, but I have no reference unfortunately. May be worth checking out though!

He wants something darker and clearer - why has he not gone and bought the 30s already? 

The width thing correlates to the TDKs yes, but really, the XBA-30s are so much more satisfying if he wants something darker.

Quote:
  Can you (or anyone) give me a good recommendation on a good earphone (noise cancelling) with an attached mic and volume controls for an android smartphone?  I listen to spotify all the time as I'm walking around outside and also exercising, so they would have to be somewhat rugged.  I really love the design of the Klipsch S4 Rugged in terms of the huge + and - buttons but unfortuneatly it's only for iphones and apple products.  Yes, there is an Klipsch S4 with a mic and controls for android but I'm concerned about people complaining about the noise of the cord touching anything in terms of movement etc, and I also want something a bit more unique looking I guess even though the S4 is a proven best bang for the buck earphone as mentioned by cnet many times.

As for music preferences I really like big bass (I currently love my Velodyne Vpulse, so something similar in terms of that bright, punchy sound profile) but with inline mic and volume for android.  My velodyne's are only for apple products as well, if not it would be perfect for me etc.  I want to stay around 100.00 total max for my price range.  Thanks in advance to any replies!

The volume thing is difficult - as in very difficult - I know of not a single IEM with volume controls that work with Android both at this price, that is as punchy and bright, or even has a decent cable - there was a poster prior to you that had mentioned mapping the one-button mics to take in multiple taps as playback controls - like I do with my iPod - so that should definitely be looked as a alternative because it would simply be too limiting otherwise. 

And of course, if the alternative works out, the E10M with the MEElectronics TRRS adapter might work out - similarly punchy and bright. The FXD80s also seem to have a mic edition so that's worth a look - the tonality would probably be most ideal in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back