Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #4,186 of 5,364
Quote:

I haven't heard the XB90EX yet... but I had a chance to as HiFiGuy about it this morning in relation to the XB60EX.

[size=x-small](7:29:22 AM) [/size]warrenpchi: Hey, the XB90EX is way better than the XB60EX isn't it?
[size=x-small](8:01:21 AM) [/size]HiFiGuy528: Yes 90 is a lot better
[size=x-small](8:01:55 AM) [/size]warrenpchi: Hmm... contemplating... :)
[size=x-small](8:05:16 AM) [/size]HiFiGuy528: Should get it
[size=x-small](8:05:31 AM) [/size]HiFiGuy528: Not a lot of money right now. Before the price goes up when they are discontinued
[size=x-small](8:05:41 AM) [/size]HiFiGuy528: I may get a second as spare
[size=x-small](8:05:49 AM) [/size]warrenpchi: That's right... discontinuation looms... damn

I'm interested in hearing what you think of the XB60EX though.  Depending on your thoughts on that unit, it'll be a lot easier to find something you'd like. 
smile.gif

Will they really be discontinued soon? Well two things regarding the sony's, 1. I have small ears so the driver 90ex housing may be too big to fit in the concha of my ear. 2. Are the xb90ex double the price good? Haha, I'm learning there's some pretty stiff competition as far as $100 iem's go.
Will fill you in about the xb90ex! I believe they're arriving tomorrow.

May 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #4,187 of 5,364
Quote:
Will they really be discontinued soon?

Really hard to say.  In my experience, there seems to be little rhyme/reason as to when Sony discontinues which items.  Better to err on the side of caution I think.

Quote:
Well two things regarding the sony's, 1. I have small ears so the driver 90ex housing may be too big to fit in the concha of my ear. 2. Are the xb90ex double the price good?

1.  That's very possible.  The whole side-firing placement makes it stick out a bunch.  I've been told that my ears are a bit on the small side, and I can get about 60%~70% of the housing to fit in my concha.  Surprisingly, that's enough for a pretty good fit.  YMMV of course.

2.  HiFiGuy definitely thinks so.  He took the Amazon prices of each (as of this morning) when we talked.

Quote:
Haha, I'm learning there's some pretty stiff competition as far as $100 iem's go.

My favorite $100 iem at the moment is still the UE700.  Okay, it's not $100, but I got it for $75 shipped so I tend to think of it as such.

Quote:
Will fill you in about the xb90ex! I believe they're arriving tomorrow.

blink.gif
  Wait, wut?  Did you get the 60 or the 90?  Or both? 
smile.gif

May 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #4,188 of 5,364
Quote:

1.  That's very possible.  The whole side-firing placement makes it stick out a bunch.  I've been told that my ears are a bit on the small side, and I can get about 60%~70% of the housing to fit in my concha.  Surprisingly, that's enough for a pretty good fit.  YMMV of course.

2.  HiFiGuy definitely thinks so.  He took the Amazon prices of each (as of this morning) when we talked.

My favorite $100 iem at the moment is still the UE700.  Okay, it's not $100, but I got it for $75 shipped so I tend to think of it as such.

blink.gif
  Wait, wut?  Did you get the 60 or the 90?  Or both? 
smile.gif

Hmm, in that case hopefully they fit well. I was imagining they would fit flush against the side of the ear, guess not.

I can tell that "money ain't a thang" for hifiguy haha considering he buys a ton of headphones with his own money. Still not sure if it'd be worth double for the average person, let alone the average college student.

I meant the xb60ex. I ordered the xb60ex. I'm just half-asleep at the moment, my bad haha. Also, congrats on the ue700. Where did you find that deal?

May 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #4,189 of 5,364
Quote:

Hmm, in that case hopefully they fit well. I was imagining they would fit flush against the side of the ear, guess not.

That's what I was picturing before they arrived, but nope.  You know those gold discs with the Sony logo on them?  Imagine them being the heads of bolts that are pointing downward into your ears.  That's basically the only way they'll fit.  Having said that, I am not having any fit issues at all thanks to the wide selection of tips that are included.

Quote:

I can tell that "money ain't a thang" for hifiguy haha considering he buys a ton of headphones with his own money. Still not sure if it'd be worth double for the average person, let alone the average college student.

Well, at the risk of maybe saying too much, I can tell you that he's not exactly Mr. Moneybags, but he does love portable audio.  There are a bunch of times when something is crap (not naming any specific brands or models), and he knows that something is crap, and we're debating how crappy it is, but he'll get it and post a vid anyway because a bunch of people requested the crap.  Other times, some manufacturers will help out and loan him a review sample.  But most of the time, he gets headphones the way we all do... via Amazon or wherever.

Quote:

I meant the xb60ex. I ordered the xb60ex. I'm just half-asleep at the moment, my bad haha. Also, congrats on the ue700. Where did you find that deal?

Hahaha, yeah I figured, just making sure. 
smile.gif

For a period of about a week, it was around Black Friday this past year, Amazon dropped the price down to $75.  I was originally going to pass on it, but it was just too good a deal.  I'm glad I didn't though, as I tend to really dig their detail, particularly in the mid-bass and lower mids (e.g. not muddy down there).  It can be a tad bright at times, but it hasn't proven sibilant for me so I don't mind it as much.

May 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #4,190 of 5,364
I'm looking for a little advice on which IEMs to buy. I have a budget of about $100-150, and mostly listen to trance and progressive house. 
I have a pair of ATH-M50s which i love, but need something more portable. 
Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!! 

May 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #4,191 of 5,364
V-MODA M80 vs BEYERDYNAMIC DT1350 vs SENNHEISER MOMENTUM

Hi. I'm trying to decide between these headphones for my new portable pair of headphones. I recently returned the Sennheiser Amperior headphones because of issues I had with the bright treble veiling the midrange. I was thinking about the V-MODA M80 because it's supposed to have better mid range, but I notices people say it doesn't have great isolation. I also was curious about the DT1350, but I don't see it recommended very often, and it doesn't have replaceable parts. The sennheiser momentum is what I would assume is where I can get the best sound quality, but I'm a little concerned that it wouldn't be ideal for taking places because it's so expensive. So would the V-MODA M80 be the best choice? In what way are the other two better than the M80, if any?

May 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,192 of 5,364
Quote:
V-MODA M80 vs BEYERDYNAMIC DT1350 vs SENNHEISER MOMENTUM

Hi. I'm trying to decide between these headphones for my new portable pare of headphones. I recently returned the Sennheiser Amperior headphones because of issues I had with the bright treble and lacking midrange. I was thinking about the V-MODA M80 because it's supposed to have better mid range, but I notices people say it doesn't have great isolation. I also was curious about the DT1350, but I don't see it recommended very often, and it doesn't have replaceable parts. The sennheiser momentum is what I would assume is where I can get the best sound quality, but I'm a little concerned that it wouldn't be ideal for taking places because it's so expensive. So would the V-MODA M80 be the best choice? In what way are the other two better than the M80, if any?

Hi Hifi Man, I haven't heard the Beyer DT-1350, but I own the V-Moda M-80 and have auditioned the Momentum.

I think I saw you mention somewhere that you didn't like the supraaural part of the Amperior?  If that's the case, I don't think you'll want the M-80.  You'll probably want to consider the M-100 instead.  However, given what you've previously said about the Amperior's signature, I think you'll like the Momentum better as it tends to be a warmer sound that goes down easier and smoother.

If you'd like to learn more about the DT-1350 (which I believe is also supraaural BTW), Jude did a comparison video between it and the HD 25-1-II (the precursor to the Amperior) here.

May 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #4,193 of 5,364
Quote:

Hi Hifi Man, I haven't heard the Beyer DT-1350, but I own the V-Moda M-80 and have auditioned the Momentum.

I think I saw you mention somewhere that you didn't like the supraaural part of the Amperior?  If that's the case, I don't think you'll want the M-80.  You'll probably want to consider the M-100 instead.  However, given what you've previously said about the Amperior's signature, I think you'll like the Momentum better as it tends to be a warmer sound that goes down easier and smoother.

If you'd like to learn more about the DT-1350 (which I believe is also supraaural BTW), Jude did a comparison video between it and the HD 25-1-II (the precursor to the Amperior) here.

I don't think I want such a bass heavy headphone like the M-100. Is it really that bass heavy though? Build wise it looks just about perfect. Tough, foldable. The only thing that concerns me is the sound. If I was convinced that it would suit the music I listen to better than the momentum then it would probably be my choice. 

I feel inclined to agree about the momentum possibly being a better choice because they're circumaural. My one concern is that they would create a lot of wind noise when I'm riding my bicycle places. I'd like to weigh the benefits between full size and supraaural. If the momentum has better isolation than I'm hands down more for the momentum. I do plan to test the momentum at an apple store to see if I like the signature. I just read somewhere after I posted my last reply that the DT-1350 has sibilant mids, which would be horrible for the music I listen to. I get the impression that the beyerdynamic wouldn't be good for rock. So I guess this narrows it down to the sennheiser momentum and V-80. Would you or anyone have anything to say on the matter of which would be better for me?

May 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #4,194 of 5,364
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the full size headphone equivalent thread, but since I'm looking for a potentially more portable upgrade, I suppose it couldn't hurt...

I currently own an Ultrasone HFI-580, but I'm looking to upgrade.  $250-300 would be my budget limit.  Most of my music is EDM with some metal - I should probably also note that I'm looking for something that isn't very amp dependent.  Detatchable cables would be a huge plus.

Lastly, how does the HFI-580 compare to the V-Moda M-100?

May 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #4,195 of 5,364
Quote:
I don't think I want such a bass heavy headphone like the M-100. Is it really that bass heavy though?

I personally don't think so.  I mean, there is a bass emphasis to it, let's not pretend otherwise.  But it's not nearly as bassy or muddy as the Crossfade LP2 (V-Moda's previous full-sized circumaural).

Quote:

I feel inclined to agree about the momentum possibly being a better choice because they're circumaural. My one concern is that they would create a lot of wind noise when I'm riding my bicycle places.

Possible.  I auditioned the Momentum in a stationary position so I can't say anything either way with regards to how it handles wind noise.  However, the V-Moda has (what I feel) is plenty of clamping force so I would imagine it to be better in that department.  The problem is, do you really want to take a chance that you'll experience greater discomfort at all other times - just to have less wind noise while biking?  I'd rather go for comfort with slightly less isolation.

Quote:
Would you or anyone have anything to say on the matter of which would be better for me?

I would easily choose the Momentum over the M-80 for you as I think you will both:  (a) appreciate it's sound signature more; and (b) experience better comfort.  In fact, knowing what I know now, I'd probably choose the Momentum over the M-80 for myself as well.

Quote:
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the full size headphone equivalent thread, but since I'm looking for a potentially more portable upgrade, I suppose it couldn't hurt...

I currently own an Ultrasone HFI-580, but I'm looking to upgrade.  $250-300 would be my budget limit.  Most of my music is EDM with some metal - I should probably also note that I'm looking for something that isn't very amp dependent.  Detatchable cables would be a huge plus.

Lastly, how does the HFI-580 compare to the V-Moda M-100?

I wish I could say, but I've never heard the HFI-580.  However, your situation is not unlike Hifi Man's above, with the exception that you listen to more EDM and less Metal.  That being the case, what didn't work for him (the Amperior) might work for you.

May 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4,196 of 5,364
i brought the sony mdr-xb400 a week ago and was suprised by the bass they offer but now i have started noticing that the bass has reduced and even has started distorting at full volume on my ipod touch playing bass heavy songs with the bass boost EQ....i am really worried for these cans....how do i burn them for the best bass...i am bass lover and want the to perform at their best...plzz reply as fast as u guyz can

thanxx in advance 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #4,197 of 5,364
Hello All, I'm new to these forums, and I have to say I'm really enjoying everything.

A few days ago, my Klipsch Image S4i's broke. I was pretty happy with them, but I could use a bit more punchy bass. I don't know I one could call me a bass "monster", but I love it when it feels like my head is being kicked around a bit. However, I also like having articulate mid's and highs as well. While not totally necessary, volume control buttons would be welcome. I listen primarily to rock/metal, but also some electronic and other instrument-heavy music. I also play drums, so noise isolation is a must.

What are a few good options I could buy? I'm from the US.

May 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #4,198 of 5,364
Quote:
volume control buttons would be welcome

Are you talking about the Apple remote type of controls?

EDIT:  Also, you're looking for an IEM right?

May 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4,199 of 5,364
xb60ex came.
First impressions out of the box.. not so good. 
They sound okay with electronic stuff though they don't have the sub-bass rumble I want. They have plenty mid-bass. James Blake and Lindsey Stirling sound great through these.
They don't sound good with any kind of large arrangement or real instruments. I listened to These New Puritans, Caitlin Rose and Bjork with these and not so good. I feel like I paid $35 for a $35 earphone.
I'm guessing the sound will open up a bit as the drivers flex so I'm going to let them burn in some hours before making a final verdict.
Oh, they are also pretty comfortable so that's good.

May 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #4,200 of 5,364
Quote:
First impressions out of the box.. not so good.

frown.gif

Quote:
though they don't have the sub-bass rumble I want

Wait, that doesn't sound right. 
confused.gif
  They should be decent at that.  What tips are you using?  I had thought that the foam-cored tips would be best for me, but after messing about with different tips for days I found the non-foam tips better for sub-bass.

There is a pair of IEMs that truly excels at sub-bass... but I've recently learned that they are no longer on the market, so I guess that's out of the question.

Quote:
They don't sound good with any kind of large arrangement or real instruments. I listened to These New Puritans, Caitlin Rose and Bjork with these and not so good.

Yeah, that sounds about right.  The strong mid-bass focus (and that premature roll off of the highs I was talking about) tends to be better suited towards electronic music and recent pop music.  It's missing that sense of air that gives us that nth bit of realism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back