Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,126 of 5,364
Hello everyone,
I am looking into upgrading my portable setup.  Currently what I have are Sansa Fuze+ > Astrotec AM-90.  Unfortunately I have very narrow ear canals and IEMs are very uncomfortable for me. (trust me I have tried quite a few).  I am planning on building a Mini^3 but now I need advise on some full sized closed cans.  I am not interested in open as I need the isolation when outside and also on ear headphones have never been that comfortable for me either.  I listen to mostly old school rock and modern indie music among many many other things.  My budget is around $200 and I do not mind buying used or open box stuff.  Also I care way more about the sound quality rather than look.  
Thanks in advance for the help
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,127 of 5,364
The closest I have to closed headphones are the jvc harx700. I can tell you that the more "open" I make them, the better they sound. 

This is not to say it's impossible to get good sound quality out of a closed design, but you always want to maximize the movement of air if you want the best sound quality. 

Check out the jvc harx 700. There's a thread devoted to them, and several of us have modded ours for optimal sound quality. I've modded mine and they still give me about 12-15 dBA of noise isolation even after the mod, with very good sound quality. Total investment: $35.

May 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4,129 of 5,364
Quote:
First off, open to other choices? If we were to narrow something down between the three choices, it probably be more helpful as well if you stated sound/signature preferences in addition to the genres mentioned above, as we do all enjoy different presentations, look for different things.

Of course there would be a difference - logic would dictate that something different would have different attributes - i.e. sound different (even identical models have variance that can make them sound different from one another). Where it gets tricky is HOW different. There is no absolute answer for this, and sadly, you would have to try in order to find out.

I have looked around a bit, and was comparing yamaha eph100 with vsonic GR07 and others, but ended up choosing eph 100. My biggest worry is that whether I'd notice earth shattering difference between $150 headphones and $20 one when I am using Samsung galaxy S4 to play free music files that I downloaded online. I am not using any amp and don't usually bother to use EQ when listening to music. I guess you are right, the best way to choose between em is to just try em out. 

May 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #4,130 of 5,364
Gotta quote myself here, as I didn't find the time to check back. Sorry!
Quote:
I have to replace my Skullcandy Ink'd I because they broke some time ago.
My budget is around 20-40$/CHF including shipping as I live in Switzerland.
I listen to DnB, Dubstep, Hip Hop, Reggae, classic rock, and classical music in this order.
I liked the SK pretty much for the money, but I bought them abroad for 17$ but they are 27$ here which is a bit much for them I guess.

I was thinking of the following Models:
JVC HA-FX1X1 (43$)
JVC HA-FX66 (20$)
Philips SHE3590 (25$)
Sennheiser CX-300 II (46$)

I usually buy on digitec.ch but I check on toppreise.ch for a bargain. I don't really want to import them myself, if possible. Especially Amazon is a pain in the A** here.

It would be great if you could give me some advise. I am open for other buds but don't really wanna go over 45$. Usually I also don't like volume controlls in my Headphones, as they make the cable heavy.

Thanks a lot!
Cory

I was asked for more details on what i am looking for:

I like a bassy and full sound, with little microphonics if possible.
Isolation is not that much of an issue, as long as the other people in the library don't hear my sound.

I would really appreaciate if someone could recommend one of the four IEMs i mentioned above, as my finals are about to arrive... -.-'
Cheers, Cory

May 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4,131 of 5,364
Quote:
The sound isolation is by far the most important aspect I'd like to keep, followed by the lack of fatigue the SE215's had.

I would be very happy with a more balanced sound signature too if possible.

Let's cap it at £150 (~$200 in terms of real buying power).

So far I've looked at the PFE112/012 and the ACS T15.

Thanks for your help.

Non-fatiguing, balance, <150 - the PFE012s might have a little more crispness than you might be used to with the Shures, not fatiguing to these ears but depends from person to person. Not to mention they are relatively shallow-insertion and can't isolate much. I'd still put my bet in for the IE800s, add in the BA200 if you can handle a little less bass in exchange for smoothness and non-fatiguing treble up the wazoo. Also isolates quite nicely.

Quote:
Alright, my turn to ask for recommendation.

I'm looking for a sound-isolating phone optimized for classical of all genres---broadband orchestral is the hardest so optimizing for natural sound on that should work for everything.

Some use will be on aircraft, some in bed at home.

My ideal sound is a Senn HD600.  No, wait, my ideal sound is a Magnepan 3.7 speaker.  (I have the predecessors to those, HD580, MG3.6).  I know that's not going to happen in an IEM at my budget but I'm trying to set calibration. 

I currently have a MEE 151---generally not bad mids, but is substantially rolled off in the highs and requires equalization, which is only very crude on an iPod.
(I use iPod Video 5G {one ofthe best sound quality}, or iPad 2g).  Also I prefer the foam squishy eartips to the rubber ones but that's a second order consideration.

on a whim I bought the praised Monoprice budget ones. Nope, fit was awful, couldn't get it my ears, sound was more like what I expect for $30, not a giant-killer than a giant-tickler. 

Probable budget is ~100 USD.  I'm looking at MEE 161p? 

Any other contenders?   I can entertain more expensive ones to $200 or so, but over-ear HD580 will be my primary.  

thanks!

The A161P would do for the HD600 thing. Similar tonality, the treble is still a bit rolled off at the extremes but nowhere near as bad as the A151. Could also look at the RE-400 in this case, although I don't like foam tips with them. Much more texture and delicious sounding mids. Just so happens they do really nicely when inserted deeply. 

Also the BA200 to look at, probably the best extension out of the lot. 

Quote:
Hello everyone,
I am looking into upgrading my portable setup.  Currently what I have are Sansa Fuze+ > Astrotec AM-90.  Unfortunately I have very narrow ear canals and IEMs are very uncomfortable for me. (trust me I have tried quite a few).  I am planning on building a Mini^3 but now I need advise on some full sized closed cans.  I am not interested in open as I need the isolation when outside and also on ear headphones have never been that comfortable for me either.  I listen to mostly old school rock and modern indie music among many many other things.  My budget is around $200 and I do not mind buying used or open box stuff.  Also I care way more about the sound quality rather than look.  
Thanks in advance for the help
biggrin.gif

Sound preferences? Genres are helpful and all but stating signature preferences and sound criteria would be immensely more so.

Quote:
Hey guys. I need some help. I am deicing whether to get a Sony MDR EX-510SL or a JVC 
 ​
FXT-90 or a Etymotic Reasearch HF5??????

Sound preferences? The choice are a bit disparate so it'd be greatly helpful if you could expand on your sound signature tastes, genres, etc (I'd rather you describe sound preferences rather than just list out musical genres ultimately though). Criteria in terms of comfort, isolation, build, etc, would be extremely helpful as well.

Gotta quote myself here, as I didn't find the time to check back. Sorry!
I have to replace my Skullcandy Ink'd I because they broke some time ago.
My budget is around 20-40$/CHF including shipping as I live in Switzerland.
I listen to DnB, Dubstep, Hip Hop, Reggae, classic rock, and classical music in this order.
I liked the SK pretty much for the money, but I bought them abroad for 17$ but they are 27$ here which is a bit much for them I guess.

I was thinking of the following Models:
JVC HA-FX1X1 (43$)
JVC HA-FX66 (20$)
Philips SHE3590 (25$)
Sennheiser CX-300 II (46$)

I usually buy on digitec.ch but I check on toppreise.ch for a bargain. I don't really want to import them myself, if possible. Especially Amazon is a pain in the A** here.

It would be great if you could give me some advise. I am open for other buds but don't really wanna go over 45$. Usually I also don't like volume controlls in my Headphones, as they make the cable heavy.

Thanks a lot!
Cory

I was asked for more details on what i am looking for:

I like a bassy and full sound, with little microphonics if possible.
Isolation is not that much of an issue, as long as the other people in the library don't hear my sound.

I would really appreaciate if someone could recommend one of the four IEMs i mentioned above, as my finals are about to arrive... -.-'
Cheers, Cory

Bassy, full, - out of the 4, would probably go for the Senns or the 1X1. Although neither are ideal.

May 4, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #4,132 of 5,364
Hello, yesterday I went to an electronics store to see some headphones, there was nothing interesting.
I am looking for a pair of headphones closed (so as not to disturb the people around me in the place that I listen to the music),  deep bass and extended (give the feeling of almost hear them in the stomach, and leave some vibration with the mid pleasant and not annoying.
(By reading the various reviews online, I narrowed my search to CAL, which compared to Sony XB500 (which have very good bass but less soundstage CAL) and compared to the Jvc ha-s500 (same as for the Sony XB500), I think CAL are the right ones.)

What do you think?

May 4, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #4,133 of 5,364
Quote:

The sound isolation is by far the most important aspect I'd like to keep, followed by the lack of fatigue the SE215's had.

I would be very happy with a more balanced sound signature too if possible.

Let's cap it at £150 (~$200 in terms of real buying power).

So far I've looked at the PFE112/012 and the ACS T15.

Thanks for your help.

if you want to go for the BA 200 check it here. much better price than amazon UK. ships to UK checked it
wink.gif

http://www.amazon.de/TDK-Balanced-Armature-InEar-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-Hochleistungstreiber/dp/B005OEN3EM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367665101&sr=8-2&keywords=tdk+BA+200

May 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #4,134 of 5,364
Hi. I'm looking for headphones that I can use around the house on my iPod. Isolation is not a concern. I'm looking for the best sound quality possible, comparable to headphones that one would use on a home amplifier. I'm looking for full size, comfortable headphones with a short cable. I currently own a pare of Bose AE2 and sennheiser HD25 amperior headphones. I'm looking to maybe return the amperior headphones if there's a headphone with comparable - to better sound that is full size and more comfortable. Would the AKG 550 or momentum headphones be a better option than the amperior headphones? Which would sound better with the music I listen to?

May 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4,135 of 5,364
Any recommendations for a very durable in-ear headset with good noise isolation?  I live and work out in a large and noisy city.  My Etymotic hf3 headset is great, but I'm on my 3rd set in 2 years.  They're just not durable enough for me.  I don't wind up the cable around my phone, but occasionally it gets tugged or slightly pinched at the base.  I've only had my latest set for 3 months and the cable is already shorting.  I use these with an iPhone.

I'd love to find a solution with the following characteristics:
  1. Extremely durable: I use them during vigorous workouts and sometimes the wires will get pinched a little or tugged.
  2. Great noise isolation: I can listen to my Etys on the subway without destroying my eardrums; this is not possible with the Apple-supplied earbuds.  My ears are fine with Ety's deep insertion design (I use the large triple-flanged tips).
  3. Pause button: I need to be able to quickly pause my music or podcasts when approaching traffic, when loud vehicles come by, and when I need to interact with people around me.  Taking my iPhone out of my pocket, unlocking it, going to the player app, and hitting the pause button there is much too slow.
  4. Decent sound quality:  I mostly listen to podcasts, so spoken voice is the most important to me.  I'm okay with the weak bass of the Etys.  I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality to get the other characteristics.
  5. Budget: I'm willing to spend up to a few hundred dollars to get something that'll last for a few years rather than a few months.

Desirable bonus features:
  1. Apple- or Android-compatible volume control buttons
  2. Microphone
  3. Low-key
  4. Good bass

The best solution I see so far is to get a Senheiser CX 480 (they appear very durable) and attach my Etys to its volume control block (granting the Ety noise isolation and sound quality).  I'd loosely wind up the Ety cable and secure it with twist-ties to take up the extra slack. 

Does anyone have any better suggestions or experience mixing the CX480 with other IEMs?

May 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #4,136 of 5,364
Hi. I listen to music all day, I'm shopping for a new pare of headphones. I just decided I didn't want the amperior headphones because they were too uncomfortable. 

Comfort is paramount because I listen to music all day. I want to know the options for amplified and unamplified. Over ear, open or closed is fine, as long as it sounds really good. On ear isn't an option.

Build quality - As long as it doesn't break if I accidentally sit on it I'll be fine. 

My drivers - iPod Classic 160 gig (my main unit of music playing), iPod Touch, iPhone 3g. I want something with a good sound stage, I want it to handle everything I throw at it too without sounding sizzly or incapable of producing sound for heavy stuff.

Isolation - not a big concern, because these will be for around the house, and maybe a little on the go use.

My sound signature (this is where I'm just guessing what I want) - I kind of already said. Here's my last fm http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor. You can see I have over 800 artists I listen to, but mostly metal.

May 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4,137 of 5,364
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a decked out Dell XPS 12 to do my online Masters classes while I'm on the road and I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones with an inline microphone since the laptop only has one port. I have a pair of AD700's for my desktop and Koss 75's for on the go, so I'm not concerned about sound quality as much as functionality for this single purpose. Only looking to spend $20-30. I saw some by Alpatronix, Sony, even the Apple Earpods, but I didn't know which would be best.

May 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #4,139 of 5,364
Bassy, full, - out of the 4, would probably go for the Senns or the 1X1. Although neither are ideal.

what do you mean by "not ideal"? And is there a reason why you would take one of those two?
I was also considering to buy the Skullcandy Ink‘d 2.0 @29$, as i had the first Edition and was quite pleased with the sound, but they were a bit tiering and the microphonics were quite annoying at times. Plus I doubt they can be considered good value for 29$...

thanks so far!

May 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #4,140 of 5,364
I am in the market to replace my current IEMs (Shure E2c) and while they did an admirable job I feel as though they do not perform to my desired standards anymore.  I will forgo brand considerations at the moment as I would rather be a blank slate for recommendations.

My budget is roughly $250-300 with perhaps some flexibility for a jump in performance.  I prefer around the ear vs straight down but that isn't a deal breaker.  I want reasonable sound isolation (assume I couldn't hear people talking at normal levels at about 5-7 feet at a reasonable sound volume).  I tend to listen to chill type music most frequently (Tycho, Pendulum, Bombay Dub Orchestra, Nightmares On Wax to name a few) but i do occasionally listen to things like Adele, The Heavy, Dusty Brown so needless to say most of my music is not overly bass heavy (but I do want bass recognition).

Qualities I am after are clarity and distinction being the mostly highly desired, I felt as though my previous IEM's were slightly muddly and lacked separation.  Crisp accurate bass, again my previous IEM's felt distorted in the bass section (not that there is a lot but I don't want it to roll on and off).  I do not enjoy harsh highs, things too bright tend to be unpleasant for me.  Midrange and instrumentals are important for me, I want something that accurately reproduces what the artist intended.  I also do not want any distance (if that is understandable) in the music, sometimes it sounds as though I am not right there but rather it is some distance away from me.  

I am of the mind set to purchase something that will last and be of reasonable quality the first time so I do not have to replace them again soon.  I tend to use foamies over silicon if that makes any difference.  I also want reasonable shielding (doubt it is the correct word) on the cables so I do not get noise from movement (with cheaper headphones I can hear the cable as it moves).

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back