Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4,111 of 5,364
Looking for IEM
Budget : $1-$100
Source : IPhone4
Genre : Trance/House/hip-hop/dubstep/dnb...
Comfort: Must feel comfortable and always stay in my ears and not falling of.
Current IEM: Sennheiser CX300 ii
thanks!

May 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #4,112 of 5,364
Hey everyone.

I recently lost my Shure SE215's and thought now would be a good time to upgrade. I absolutely loved the isolation of the SE215's so whatever I get needs to have excellent isolation too! I found the SE215's ok for sound quality, but the seemed to lack a little... something (excitement?) compared to my old e10's.

Thanks for any advice!

May 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #4,113 of 5,364
This is a great thread to have. Here is my story:

I purchased a Shure E2C back in 2005. I loved them for the comfort and usability with working out. Well, they just took a dump today as the wire finally fell apart. I tried to solder on new copper to the old wire and that didn't work, so either my solder job was crap or they really just didn't want to work anymore. With that said, what would be a good option to get in reference to comfort like the Shure brand provides. I am certainly not set on Shure, so any suggestion in the $100 or slightly above/below range is perfect. I will only use these for working out; I have a custom pair molded from some Triple 10's completed by 1964 Ears.

May 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #4,115 of 5,364
Quote:
Reposting with more detail to help you to help me. :)

Would appreciate a recommendation for some headphones / IEMs / earbuds for my girlfriend to wear whilst she's studying in the library.  Some salient points:
  1. She likes rockier music, however she is not fussy about signatures, she's used to crappy earbuds so anything recommended here will be better
  1. In the library, isolation is important - to block out noise from others, and to not disturb others
  2. Given that she will be wearing them for long periods, even though she likes rock, I would suggest that a more balanced sound signature will be less fatiguing than something "exciting"
  3. She's not very good at looking after her stuff, so nothing too expensive (or even mid-priced :wink: )  I'd suggest $50, or if there is nothing worthwhile in that range (which I doubt), up to $100
  4. Portability is a concern.  She rides a scooter to university, and everything is in her backpack, so on-ear headphones are an option as long as they are light (folding is a bonus).  But of course IEMs / earbuds are preferable from the size point of view.

Recommend away, look forward to seeing what suggestions come up.

In that case, definitely check out the GR04 for some nice balance but with some added sparkle up top as well. Something really well built and "fun" around that price would be the Dunu Craters. Still retains balance, but there's no mistaking the slight V.

Quote:
I'm so intrigued by the CKS1000's..is there any reason to get these over the IE8's? Does anyone know how these compare to MXW1's? Can they be run without a DAC from an iPod Classic?

Not sure about the latter two questions, but I find them quite a bit more rounded out in note within the bass compared to the Senns, while the rest of the range has really nice dynamics and leading transients. While emphasis is on a similar level, the level of reverb and depth in terms of how far they can dig (much further FYI) is primarily what tears the two basshead sigs apart. Not as over-encompassing stage-wise as well, but still some nice spacing.

Quote:
Looking for IEM
Budget : $1-$100
Source : IPhone4
Genre : Trance/House/hip-hop/dubstep/dnb...
Comfort: Must feel comfortable and always stay in my ears and not falling of.
Current IEM: Sennheiser CX300 ii
thanks!

Sound preferences/signature preferences? While genres are helpful, in the end how we like them to be presented is subjective and varies too greatly for suggesting something specific.
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I recently lost my Shure SE215's and thought now would be a good time to upgrade. I absolutely loved the isolation of the SE215's so whatever I get needs to have excellent isolation too! I found the SE215's ok for sound quality, but the seemed to lack a little... something (excitement?) compared to my old e10's.

Thanks for any advice!

Budget? The SE215 definitely lacks a bit of treble sparkle against the E10s, so perhaps that's it. Anything you might be able to sacrifice within the SE215's sig though? (assuming you're partial to some aspects of them at the very least) I ask because the IE800 and the HF5 might be worth a look into if you mind a bit more bass weight on the former, or greatly less on the latter (in trade you get faster notes and probably among the best isolation you'll find out of an IEM). 

Quote:
This is a great thread to have. Here is my story:

I purchased a Shure E2C back in 2005. I loved them for the comfort and usability with working out. Well, they just took a dump today as the wire finally fell apart. I tried to solder on new copper to the old wire and that didn't work, so either my solder job was crap or they really just didn't want to work anymore. With that said, what would be a good option to get in reference to comfort like the Shure brand provides. I am certainly not set on Shure, so any suggestion in the $100 or slightly above/below range is perfect. I will only use these for working out; I have a custom pair molded from some Triple 10's completed by 1964 Ears.

Sound preferences? Signature preferences? (these two are the more important ones) Genres? Isolation?

Quote:
Does LMYE's technically ship the GR07's from the US so customs really isn't in the picture or an issue?  If there is no way to get these, then I am looking for what ever I am describing or an equivalent that is readily available in the US. For example, Sony products are what I would call super readily available for purchase almost anywhere in the US, now it can be a bit more uncommon than that, but again it is an example.

ALSO, Is there a headphone that may be of interest that I may not be thinking of that would suit what I am looking for?

I'm almost entirely positive that the majority of those in the US (that I know of) have been paying the customs for these international distributors. In fact I wasn't even privy to the fact that they even sold those locally in the US. Over here in Canada we have HB among some other stores as distributors, but I thought the situation in the US called for otherwise. 

Either way, in this case it might be best to go with the norm and look at international distributors instead (I've yet to see anyone complain about custom fees on these before)

May 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #4,116 of 5,364
Quote:

Does LMYE's technically ship the GR07's from the US so customs really isn't in the picture or an issue?  If there is no way to get these, then I am looking for what ever I am describing or an equivalent that is readily available in the US. For example, Sony products are what I would call super readily available for purchase almost anywhere in the US, now it can be a bit more uncommon than that, but again it is an example.

I purchased a set of GR07 Bass Edition earphones from Lend Me Ur Ears' website (not eBay) and they were shipped from a warehouse within the US. I got them in 2 days.

May 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #4,117 of 5,364
[quote name="TwinQY"I purchased a Shure E2C back in 2005. I loved them for the comfort and usability with working out. Well, they just took a dump today as the wire finally fell apart. I tried to solder on new copper to the old wire and that didn't work, so either my solder job was crap or they really just didn't want to work anymore. With that said, what would be a good option to get in reference to comfort like the Shure brand provides. I am certainly not set on Shure, so any suggestion in the $100 or slightly above/below range is perfect. I will only use these for working out; I have a custom pair molded from some Triple 10's completed by 1964 Ears.
Sound preferences? Signature preferences? (these two are the more important ones) Genres? Isolation?[/quote]

I am not an audiophile by any means. Music genre is rap/hip hop to some rock and easy listening. I would prefer something more neutral, but bass would have to at least be noticeable but not necessarily to prominent. I am thinking of just getting the Shure SE215 because the would be most similar to my old E2C...but I was just trying to see what else would be similar in regard to the Shure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

May 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #4,118 of 5,364

Originally Posted by bmna2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not an audiophile by any means. Music genre is rap/hip hop to some rock and easy listening. I would prefer something more neutral, but bass would have to at least be noticeable but not necessarily to prominent. I am thinking of just getting the Shure SE215 because the would be most similar to my old E2C...but I was just trying to see what else would be similar in regard to the Shure.

How so? The SE215s are pretty colored and bass-heavy, so not exactly the first thing that comes to mind when neutrality is brought up. Have only had the E3C/ so can't comment too much on the 2s. 

In terms of balance though, will throw out a couple of choices like the RE-400, A161P, just for starters.

May 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #4,119 of 5,364
Hi guys, 
I'm new to the forum and am looking to replace my lost Klipsch S2. 
I am considering between Yamaha YER 500 ($20), Klipsch S4, and Yamaha EPH-100 (around $150 I think). 
Using the headphone to listen to radio and pop & country music through my Samsung galaxy S4 when I commute. I do want something that sounds better than Klipsch S2, but since I am only using phone to play music, is it worth it to get the EPH-100? Will I notice any difference?

Thanks

May 3, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #4,120 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys, 
I'm new to the forum and am looking to replace my lost Klipsch S2. 
I am considering between Yamaha YER 500 ($20), Klipsch S4, and Yamaha EPH-100 (around $150 I think). 
Using the headphone to listen to radio and pop & country music through my Samsung galaxy S4 when I commute. I do want something that sounds better than Klipsch S2, but since I am only using phone to play music, is it worth it to get the EPH-100? Will I notice any difference?

Thanks

First off, open to other choices? If we were to narrow something down between the three choices, it probably be more helpful as well if you stated sound/signature preferences in addition to the genres mentioned above, as we do all enjoy different presentations, look for different things.

Of course there would be a difference - logic would dictate that something different would have different attributes - i.e. sound different (even identical models have variance that can make them sound different from one another). Where it gets tricky is HOW different. There is no absolute answer for this, and sadly, you would have to try in order to find out.

May 3, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #4,121 of 5,364
Originally Posted by bmna2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How so? The SE215s are pretty colored and bass-heavy, so not exactly the first thing that comes to mind when neutrality is brought up. Have only had the E3C/ so can't comment too much on the 2s. 

In terms of balance though, will throw out a couple of choices like the RE-400, A161P, just for starters.

I wasn't saying the 215 was neutral. I was saying these would be most like my old E2C. I am certainly open to other phones, but as I mentioned I using these solely for working out. I liked the Shure because it was comfortable, didn't love with running, and the sound was clear and not muddled. It had good range for various music... so I can only go based off what I used them for. I will look at your suggestions... thank you.

May 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #4,122 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for a nice compliment to the grado sound signature...I have $100 to spend.

I listen to rock and classic rock.

Which of these to go with.

HifiMan RE400

Shure 215

Soundmagic PL50

rockit sounds R30

Rockit sounds R50

I already own the JVC FX40....these are great for the 420 that I spent on them.....I want something that sounds better from the above group....or anything else that is not over $100

The Grado sound sig, i.e. from what I remember bass extension (not quantity), fairly flat mids in the 500hz - 1.5khz region, and lots of energy in the 9-10k range. Based on that you may like the R50 or the RE400 at this price point, but I agree with TwinQY that it really depends on the sound sig you are looking for. You may, for instance, like the mids on the Shure 215, so tough call.

Quote:
I wasn't saying the 215 was neutral. I was saying these would be most like my old E2C. I am certainly open to other phones, but as I mentioned I using these solely for working out. I liked the Shure because it was comfortable, didn't love with running, and the sound was clear and not muddled. It had good range for various music... so I can only go based off what I used them for. I will look at your suggestions... thank you.

Having owned the E2C, I'd like to point out that the 215 is IMO quite different. The E2C is what I'd call a traditional single BA IEM, whereas the 215 uses a micro dynamic driver. The 215 is, from memory, a considerably warmer IEM and adds a little "oomph" to the lower range. That is not to say that you wouldn't like them.

May 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #4,123 of 5,364
Quote:
Budget? The SE215 definitely lacks a bit of treble sparkle against the E10s, so perhaps that's it. Anything you might be able to sacrifice within the SE215's sig though? (assuming you're partial to some aspects of them at the very least) I ask because the IE800 and the HF5 might be worth a look into if you mind a bit more bass weight on the former, or greatly less on the latter (in trade you get faster notes and probably among the best isolation you'll find out of an IEM). 

The sound isolation is by far the most important aspect I'd like to keep, followed by the lack of fatigue the SE215's had.

I would be very happy with a more balanced sound signature too if possible.

Let's cap it at £150 (~$200 in terms of real buying power).

So far I've looked at the PFE112/012 and the ACS T15.

Thanks for your help.

May 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #4,124 of 5,364
The sound isolation is by far the most important aspect I'd like to keep, followed by the lack of fatigue the SE215's had.

I would be very happy with a more balanced sound signature too if possible.

Let's cap it at £150 (~$200 in terms of real buying power).

So far I've looked at the PFE112/012 and the ACS T15.

Thanks for your help.

At 150 GBP you may want to consider the Ortofon eQ-5 or the TDK BA200. Since TwinQY has heard both, he is in a better position to judge. Less isolation on the eq5 than on the se215, though still decent, and may therefore not be the best fit.

May 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,125 of 5,364
Alright, my turn to ask for recommendation.

I'm looking for a sound-isolating phone optimized for classical of all genres---broadband orchestral is the hardest so optimizing for natural sound on that should work for everything.

Some use will be on aircraft, some in bed at home.

My ideal sound is a Senn HD600.  No, wait, my ideal sound is a Magnepan 3.7 speaker.  (I have the predecessors to those, HD580, MG3.6).  I know that's not going to happen in an IEM at my budget but I'm trying to set calibration. 

I currently have a MEE 151---generally not bad mids, but is substantially rolled off in the highs and requires equalization, which is only very crude on an iPod.
(I use iPod Video 5G {one ofthe best sound quality}, or iPad 2g).  Also I prefer the foam squishy eartips to the rubber ones but that's a second order consideration.

on a whim I bought the praised Monoprice budget ones. Nope, fit was awful, couldn't get it my ears, sound was more like what I expect for $30, not a giant-killer than a giant-tickler. 

Probable budget is ~100 USD.  I'm looking at MEE 161p? 

Any other contenders?   I can entertain more expensive ones to $200 or so, but over-ear HD580 will be my primary.  

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back