Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,556 of 5,364
Quote:
There are lots of options. Tell me what kind of sound you want. Other wise, I would have to list tens and hundreds of IEMs.

I don't really know if there are any audiophile portables that doesn't leak in $80 price range. The cheapest I suggest is HD-25 II. But if you don't mind isolation, try Sennheiser PX series. You might as well look into IEMs.

Isolation wise, ESW9 doesn't really isolate much.

What about the Denon AH-D1100 for isolation? it doesn't have to cancel out everything just enough for people talking on buses or something like that. I find on-ear design uncomfortable after like 3 hours and since i am going to be listening to them for like 6-10 hours i would like a full sized headphones that isolate well while being not too big for portability (something like the akg 550 for example would be too big) Would you know any that fit this category? (preferably not noise cancelling headphones because they seem pricey. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3,557 of 5,364
Looking for a new IEM, but it's difficult to say what sound I want, in part because I don't know all the audiophile terminology, but mostly because my experience with headphones is very limited.

I've had the Creative ep600 for years, and I basically like the sound.  Seems full and possibly warm? Definitely seems to have sufficient bass.  I've recently tried the Panasonic HJE120 and the Monoprice 8320.  The Panasonic seems alright, but the sound could be more full and rich, I think.  The Monoprice seems to have good clarity and detail, but the bass, while accurate sounding, seems severely lacking in power.  From what I've read, this could be due to not getting a good seal.  The stock tips are definitely uncomfortable, but I won't be able to test until I get some Complys.  But also, the sound just doesn't seems as thick and rich as it does with the ep630.  Maybe it's "thin" sounding? I appreciate the clearness of the 8320s, but when I'm out walking and comparing phones, I keep going back to the Creatives because they sound more fun, and they're waaay more comfortable.  I probably only have 15 hours or so on the Monoprice and Panasonic, so that may be part of the problem.

So, I'm looking for an upgrade with a rich, full sound but possibly also with improved clarity? Does such a thing exist for under $40? I've been looking closely at the Soundmagic E10 and the Vsonic GR02 Base Edition.  Which of these would have more bass? Any suggestions?

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #3,558 of 5,364
What about the Denon AH-D1100 for isolation? it doesn't have to cancel out everything just enough for people talking on buses or something like that. I find on-ear design uncomfortable after like 3 hours and since i am going to be listening to them for like 6-10 hours i would like a full sized headphones that isolate well while being not too big for portability (something like the akg 550 for example would be too big) Would you know any that fit this category? (preferably not noise cancelling headphones because they seem pricey. 

I Don't know much about denon, but sony mdr 1r are very very comfortable. It is full sized but still portable, comfy, and have fairly good sq.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #3,559 of 5,364
Quote:
I Don't know much about denon, but sony mdr 1r are very very comfortable. It is full sized but still portable, comfy, and have fairly good sq.

The only problem i sound with the MDR 1R is that it hasn't got good isolation and when i am on a bus  i found half of the sound is from people talking and the other half is the music unless i turn it to ridiculously high volumes. What would you recommend for isolation that isn't IEM or on ear? i find it interesting that most of the 'portable' headphones don't really isolate that well, for me when i am walking around with headphones i like isolation.

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #3,560 of 5,364
The only problem i sound with the MDR 1R is that it hasn't got good isolation and when i am on a bus  i found half of the sound is from people talking and the other half is the music unless i turn it to ridiculously high volumes. What would you recommend for isolation that isn't IEM or on ear? i find it interesting that most of the 'portable' headphones don't really isolate that well, for me when i am walking around with headphones i like isolation.

try momentum if it fits. many users find it to be a bit small for their ears(hence little like on ears). If you are in the states, you can try them at best buy. These do isolate fair amount. Also recommended is SRH840. They are not really a portable headphone, but is smaller than K550.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #3,561 of 5,364
Quote:
try momentum if it fits. many users find it to be a bit small for their ears(hence little like on ears). If you are in the states, you can try them at best buy. These do isolate fair amount. Also recommended is SRH840. They are not really a portable headphone, but is smaller than K550.

okay i will try them both if i can find them at a retail, any other suggestions for me to go and try? :)

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #3,562 of 5,364
Hello, 
I am looking for new IEMs and I've narrowed down my choices to:
1. Vsonic GR07 MKII
2. Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII
3. AudioFly AF78

Will be used with Cube C30 MP3 player. Current IEMs are UE600vi. I'm upgrading because the wire at the Y-connector came off.
My musical taste :
Genre - Rock, Indie, Metal, Funk, Blues and games/movie soundtracks.
Examples - Kings of Leon, Bon Iver, Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Keys, LOTR/Skyrim soundtrack.
I am also a drummer and I will be using these IEMs for drumming as well so there will be some vigorous upper body movement.

Please advice and thank you for your help. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3,564 of 5,364
Hey! So I'm looking for an IEM for my girlfriend, as she refuses to listen to her iBuds after hearing my He-5Le + Lyr + Gamma2 setup lol.

Budget: $50 but can be stretched a bit. Thinking FS forums and buy new tips.
Sound Signature: she listens to hip hop, and also acoustic music, so thinking kinda like an AKG sig, not to bright, not to warm. Nuetral, but needs to have some sparkle
Portability: NO AMP! She will use right out of her iPhone, amp is not an option.

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #3,565 of 5,364
There are quite a few options. Maybe a soundmagic e10 or Sony mh1c.

i would recommend a vsonic gr99,but I feel like I do that much to often. They are pretty great headphones for only 30.

may as well read ljokerls thread, tons of options. especially in your price range.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #3,566 of 5,364
Will get around to the other replies, but this one should be relatively painless and quick enough.
Quote:
Hey! So I'm looking for an IEM for my girlfriend, as she refuses to listen to her iBuds after hearing my He-5Le + Lyr + Gamma2 setup lol.

Budget: $50 but can be stretched a bit. Thinking FS forums and buy new tips.
Sound Signature: she listens to hip hop, and also acoustic music, so thinking kinda like an AKG sig, not to bright, not to warm. Nuetral, but needs to have some sparkle
Portability: NO AMP! She will use right out of her iPhone, amp is not an option.

Thanks!

<$50, a bit of sparkle, hip-hop + acoustic - the GR02 might do as the GR99 are fairly dark in comparison, as well as the M2s and the other choices in this case. Also nice mids, a bit clearer than most of the bass-heavy sets around the price but still a bit recessed though note presentation leans on softness and roundedness. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #3,568 of 5,364
What bout under 70$, not gonna lie, $30 I have a hard time believing there is much upgrade to be had, not that I don't believe you! I do, just, I feel that those are just still budget not mid fi

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #3,569 of 5,364
Quote:
What bout under 70$, not gonna lie, $30 I have a hard time believing there is much upgrade to be had, not that I don't believe you! I do, just, I feel that those are just still budget not mid fi

Still would go with the GR02. At this point price REALLY does not dictate performance, not in the slightest. Just depends on what you want to pay for a particular sig, build + ergonomics, etc. Budget stuff can be over-blown, as well as misaligned on H-F, to say the least. 

FYI, if we were to compare, say, the GR02 against the SE215, almost double the price, in terms of sound I could probably point out a bit more midrange presence with the Shures. That's about it. Technicalities are pretty much on par. Only thing is that the signature difference, and the fact that the SE215 cables are beefier and the shells are larger. I'd say go with what you like to hear, and just use budgets as a guideline.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #3,570 of 5,364
Hi all,

Started a new thread and missed this sticky. Correcting that error now. Looking for IEMs with no microphonics and tangle free cords. Prefer with a  microphone so I can get on the phone when needed. $100 or less seems about right in terms of $pend.

Sound quality secondary to having a tanglefree cord and lack of microphonics. Going to use for travel, gym, etc. Nothing worse than being woken awake by microphonics :) Lots of my headphones seem to have pretty bad cable noise :frowning2:

In terms of sound my preference is balanced (not super bassy). Listen to all kinds of music, podcasts and will watch plenty of movies with these.

At home the speakers are Paradigms. I have Bose QC15 for trips when I have the space and for when I can leak sound I use Koss KSC-35 (aged that they are). But lost my UEs recently and MEElectronics M9. I didn't really like either - didn't fit my ears well and had lots of microphonics. 

Have anything for me?

Other thread suggest Westone UMX3 w/ Epic Cables. Bit too spendy for me, though. Other notations from @TwinQY were A161p or the HF2/3 which I'm checking out on the internets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back