Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3,586 of 5,364
I'm planning to get a cheap IEM for running/jogging/gym and some general portable use. I'm don't care much about fine details as long as the sq is good enough for me to hear clearly the "eye of the tiger" riff and adequate bass. What I really after is that it doesn't fall off, and it is durable enough to withstand rigorous activity.

Is the M6 with comply tips a good choice?

budget 30-40$.

thanks.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,587 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm planning to get a cheap IEM for running/jogging/gym and some general portable use. I'm don't care much about fine details as long as the sq is good enough for me to hear clearly the "eye of the tiger" riff and adequate bass. What I really after is that it doesn't fall off, and it is durable enough to withstand rigorous activity.

Is the M6 with comply tips a good choice?

budget 30-40$.

thanks.

Apple earpods. $25 new, $15 refurbished. Use foam covers for better fit and sound. Done.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #3,588 of 5,364
Thanks for the advice. The m6 are a bit cheaper though and I don't have any apple devices. I'll look them up though.

Btw are they good for active use? My last experience with the stock pads a long time ago was not really pleasing.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #3,589 of 5,364
hi guys..

looking to upgrade to a new IEM from my atrios after using them for a few years.

bought the akg k550 and really like how the vocals sound on the headphone and hence would like to look for sthg in between if possible. (i.e. decent bass with nice vocals) I tried the xba-4 but hoping to find something that sounds more natural.

budget is ~US$300
primarily using my ipod classic and my s3 as sources (320kbps tho). no plans to get an amp (unless a gd deal for a fiio comes along in my country)

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #3,590 of 5,364

Balanced, durable, wide and deep stage, long walks on the beach, $50-70 - right underneath that budget would be the E30, great balance, very nice....well, plastic, build. stage is more about width while depth is only above average. But I would be worried about build more as it's very average. Nothing wrong with the cable and shells in particular, but nothing that stands out as well. GR04 would fit the balanced signature profile as well but stage is a bit lackluster with regards to size by comparison. 

Thanks for the reply!
Can you please recommend on a set with earbuds like the mx 550's? not IEM, round buds...

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #3,591 of 5,364
Hi all.

I am interested in few models:

Audio-Technica FC707

Audio-Technica ON303

Not sure witch is better for the price. Have or had myself Audio-Technica ES7 and Audio-Technica WS55.

Could someone compare sound and build quality to WS55 of FC707 ON303 or ES7 if it is compareable?

Regards

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #3,593 of 5,364
So I've narrowed it down to:
1.) GR07
2.) UE TF-10
3.) R-50
4.) Dun 19 Tai Chi ??
I want to go for the TwinQy recommended GR07, but there's so much buzz over the TF-10s. I also wasn't sure which Gr07 you were talking about TwinQy. The MKII or Bass Edition? Are there any other suggestions? If not I'm gonna go for the Gr07s. Thanks everyone!

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #3,594 of 5,364
Quote:
The SE315 is rather dull and not nearly as smooth. Roll-off is much more significant. Not as clear since everything's a bit mushed over and that doesn't really help with the soundstage as well. Sorry to say that the SE425 would have been a closer bet if you were looking for a Q701-like signature. Soundstage still, and will never be, anywhere near the Q701, but it is rather clear with good technicalities throughout.

Thank you TwinQY for your advice, are there any other iem that offers a similar soundstage?
To give you a little more information, I listen to nearly every music genre form classical to hip hop, and also have an Ultrasone DJ1 and CKS77, and would like an iem that offers something different to what I already have.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3,595 of 5,364
I have start a new thread, but I would also like to get your recommendations here.

I usually listen to ost,jazz and classic, I will also listen to the pop like u2 as well, I would like the good treble and mid on the iem.

I tried the sm64,w4r,um3x and thunk the most I like is the sm64

Do you have any above or other recommendations on the iems (source will be unamped j3)

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,596 of 5,364
Thanks for the response.
I'll look around for some R-50, RE-400 and maybe the A161p.

I'm guessing the Brainwavz B2 will have a similar sound as the R-50.
How does the UE TF10 sound compared to these considering soundstage, and detail?

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #3,597 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the response, but I decided to order The National and it should be here in a few days :). I did some more research and thought about it a lot and I'll probably get the DT 1350 soon. I'm just really wondering how the Momentum does with amping since it's impedance is so low.

Transferring money between my bank and PayPal takes about 7 days (Canada) and I didn't want to transfer the money back and wait again since I knew I'd buy The National soon anyway, so I just did things a bit backwards.

The Momemtum is in my opinion significantly better with amping than without. It could have been that I was just in the mood to appreciate its sound sig at the time I was amping it, but I felt they never sounded better than they did at that time. Still, I didn't really prefer them in the end as they had just a slight metallic nature in the mids in my opinion, and I HATE that. Highs were a little too bright for me as well, but probably not for most. They did have fine detail, a nicely balanced sound signature in my opinion, and not an overwhelming amount of bass, but I do prefer a little more of that, thus my dislike.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #3,598 of 5,364
Best all round IEM for £100 / $117 / $150.

I listen to everything from the radio to rock....the only things I don't listen to is rap.

So it needs to be a durable all round jack of all trades IEM, although I do like thongs a bit on the Bassy side, but I prefer better all round sound to just a bassy monster, I don't want to sacrifice MIDs and highs for the lows.

And although that is my Max budget I would prefer to spend around £65-85.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,599 of 5,364
I'm looking to replace my AT700 (closed version) unsure of the model number). I need to switch to IEM's looking to spend $300 but willng to go to $600 if the performance to value is good. They'll be running off a Xonar STX. Mainly for streaming video and playing CS:GO, I listen to almost all forms of rock. These phones may find themselves on the real system occasionally which only has a headphone out on the preamp. They also need to be available on amazon so I can use Amex points, unless they're custom fits. I was looking at UE, Orfoton, 1964, AT, Shure and I'm lost. Also I'm not a bass head and I will not buy a Sony or Monster product for reasons that are not appropriate here

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #3,600 of 5,364
Hello All,

I guess this question gets asked a lot. 

I'd like to spend $150 or less on a set of IEMs for work. I have ATH M-50s at home but they were too much for work where I need to be removing them all the time.

I've been looking at the Velodyne vPulse and the Yamaha EPH-100SL for starters. I guess I'm looking for a comfortable IEM that sound like the M50s.

The reason I haven't bought yet is the over bassy vPulse or the under treble EPH's

I do have a pair of Etymotic Research ER7-MC3's but again they are a bit tight to be removing and replacing many time throughout the day.

I guess I'd even buy another pair of M50's or Shure SRH440's if a suitable IME is not available at that price range.

Thank you,
--Shoki

Users who are viewing this thread

Back