Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3,541 of 5,364
Hi guys. 

I've tried twice on ear headphones (HD201, ATH M30) and they felt uncomfortable. I've tried in-ear headphones (The ones that come with Samsung smartphones) and they always fell from my ear, I also tried iPhone 4 headphones and they are very uncomfortable. I have big ears.
I was wondering what type of headphones should I try? 
I've been thinking of getting the type of headphones which come behind the ear (like the Koss KSC75). Can anyone recommend any? 
Budget: ~70$

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #3,542 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello, I'm new to Head-Fi. I am looking to buy a new set of headphones, and I was hoping to get some advice from people who have experience. I want a pair of headphones for daily use. I listen to music on my ipod touch 4th gen and Nokia Lumia 822. Two pairs of headphones that caught my eye were the Beats Pro and V-Moda M100. I listen to primarily hiphop/rap and Linkin Park type music. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you respond, please tell me which headphone you personally would suggest. Thanks!

Can I ask you how much you care for isolation, portability, and price range?

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3,543 of 5,364
Quote:
Can I ask you how much you care for isolation, portability, and price range?

Isolation - I often study in the library so a bit of isolation (so others cant listen what I'm listening to) is better
Portability - I always keep my headphones in my backpack because I study at the uni, I consider M30 good in portability.
Price - ~80$

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #3,544 of 5,364
Hello Guys! I am sort of new here since i registered my account after hrs of search on this website.
I wanna buy a pair of portable IEM.
My sources are iPod classic and iPhone 5.
I listen to all kinds of music from Beethoven to Green Day and a bit fancy color would be my choice because I would wear it out on the street.: ). (It's fine though, what I care about is if sound quality meets my need, the isolation and if it is comfortable)
My price range is about $100, more or less.
About the isolation, I prefer it not to be a disadvantage since I hate to hear wind screaming in my ear LoL
Moreover, I sometimes listen to the music for hrs so I prefer it to be comfortable on shape.

I hope my post is in detail, thx for all your help and I m open to all suggestions!

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3,546 of 5,364
Isolation isn't very important, portability is very important because they would probably be coming with me EVERYWHERE and I would like to keep the price under $300. I'm looking more at used headphones so I can get nicer headphones under my price range.

I would say the m100 or logitech ue6000.

you don't seem like you've done much research on this forum, but there really are a lot of options.

as you will soon find out, not very many people, if any are fond of beats.

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #3,547 of 5,364
Hello Guys! I am sort of new here since i registered my account after hrs of search on this website.
I wanna buy a pair of portable IEM.
My sources are iPod classic and iPhone 5.
I listen to all kinds of music from Beethoven to Green Day and a bit fancy color would be my choice because I would wear it out on the street.: ). (It's fine though, what I care about is if sound quality meets my need, the isolation and if it is comfortable)
My price range is about $100, more or less.
About the isolation, I prefer it not to be a disadvantage since I hate to hear wind screaming in my ear LoL
Moreover, I sometimes listen to the music for hrs so I prefer it to be comfortable on shape.

I hope my post is in detail, thx for all your help and I m open to all suggestions!

have you read ljokerl 's comparison? he compares over 250 IEMs grouped by price range in one thread, it's very helpful. from what I have read hifi man's re 400s are probably the best IEMs under 100. they are described as smooth and natural sounding, and must reveal quite a bit of detail for how much praise they get. I plan on picking up a pair eventually.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,548 of 5,364
Hi guys I cycle a lot but can't stand Ear buds and am not keen on IEMs as they never feel comfy ond just end up annoying me as they fall out or hurt...

The best and last set of iems I had were JVC XX bass things and were red and black...

But have them away and they fit okay but still not perfect....

What would my non IEM options be.....

Obviously no full size things as they won't fit as I wear a helmet....I was thinging IEMs would be OK if they fit nicely and had a clip to hold them on like the ones runners wear?

Or some portable over ear ones that could have a small headband that goes under a helmet...

What would you suggests, it needs to be available in the UK and I have a budget of £25 but can go slightly more many £35 if it was really worth it...

IEMs will be okay if they have a ear clip to keep them on, but over ears are much more comfy and don't need cleaning every single time I use them (my ears are very clean but still the IEMs get waxxy?)

Thx

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #3,549 of 5,364
perhaps Koss ksc 75.

not saying buy these headphones, but monster power beats have a great design. some headphones come with a little clip kind of like that that curls behind your ear to secure it better, and if they don't come with it you can probably buy it aftermarket. my monster turbines came with it, and although I'm not much of a biker as a runner, I usually use Koss ksc 75. they are so cheap and the sound quality you get is outstanding.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #3,551 of 5,364
Hey lads,

I'm looking for an in-ear pair, ~80-100$, used for working out and commuting on a Galaxy Nexus. What are the current faves these days? Steer me in the right direction please :)

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #3,552 of 5,364
Quote:
Isolation isn't very important, portability is very important because they would probably be coming with me EVERYWHERE and I would like to keep the price under $300. I'm looking more at used headphones so I can get nicer headphones under my price range.

I would list some:
Sony MDR-1R: Little big, but still very portable
Beyerdynamic DT1350: I own one, and is very portable, sounds good, but can get little uncomfortable
Sennheiser Amperior: As portable as DT1350, more bass, and more fun sound compared to DT1350.
ATH-ESW9A: Comfortable, not much isolation. Has very thick female vocals and hard hitting bass.
Sennheiser Momentum: From my memory, they had hard hitting bass with rather relaxed presentation.

All of these would not require an amp too!

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #3,553 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey lads,

I'm looking for an in-ear pair, ~80-100$, used for working out and commuting on a Galaxy Nexus. What are the current faves these days? Steer me in the right direction please :)

There are lots of options. Tell me what kind of sound you want. Other wise, I would have to list tens and hundreds of IEMs.

Quote:
Isolation - I often study in the library so a bit of isolation (so others cant listen what I'm listening to) is better
Portability - I always keep my headphones in my backpack because I study at the uni, I consider M30 good in portability.
Price - ~80$

I don't really know if there are any audiophile portables that doesn't leak in $80 price range. The cheapest I suggest is HD-25 II. But if you don't mind isolation, try Sennheiser PX series. You might as well look into IEMs.

Quote:
Hey,

Which one of these headphones isolate the best?

Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
Denon AH-D1100

Isolation wise, ESW9 doesn't really isolate much.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,554 of 5,364
Quote:
Anything goes? Make my job easier (but will try and be nice to your wallet).
Deep insertion (strange that IEMs would leak for you at all unless you're cranking it up at 100%), all-rounder, didn't like the 8320 so something warmer, fuller, more laid-back, seems like you want some more forward mids and clarity as well.

To be honest, if you're not looking to spend too much on the first go, would try to demo or buy-and-return something (relatively) lower-budget like the X10 (especially for deep insertion), FXZ100 or the IE800 (TDKs not the Senns) to see if you'll warm up to a more mid-forward, fuller sound. And then if you feel a need for better technicalities later on, would jump on something like the SM3 or the W4, not a huge jump but it's there and the budget's apparently there as well. For top-tier stuff, the TG334 might mesh very, very well with you but will think of that wallet.

Thank you, TwinQY. I went with the TDK's simply because I was able to find them with the least amount of difficulty. They are 100% worth what I paid for them. My only real complaint is that the sound is just slightly harsh at high volumes when I use them directly from my iPod, but when I use them with my computer, they sound much better. Otherwise, I like the way they sound. It took me a few days to warm up to my perception of distance (or lack thereof) between instruments, but I think it was because I was mostly using full-size headphones before.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this pair. They may not be perfect, but they are great for the price and were inexpensive enough that I'm willing to stick with them until a next investment.

In short: you're amazing.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #3,555 of 5,364
Quote:
I would list some:
Sony MDR-1R: Little big, but still very portable
Beyerdynamic DT1350: I own one, and is very portable, sounds good, but can get little uncomfortable
Sennheiser Amperior: As portable as DT1350, more bass, and more fun sound compared to DT1350.
ATH-ESW9A: Comfortable, not much isolation. Has very thick female vocals and hard hitting bass.
Sennheiser Momentum: From my memory, they had hard hitting bass with rather relaxed presentation.

All of these would not require an amp too!

+1 to Sony MDR 1R if isolation isn't important. 
Maybe add the denon ah d-2000 to that list 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back