Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #3,196 of 5,364
Hello everyone,

I currently own the Audiotechnica ESW9 and I love the sound that they deliver. I find it to be amazing. However, I am a college student that commutes and sometimes the ESW9 tend to be not that portable. I am now looking for an IEM/Earbuds with similar or better sound that the ESW9 provide. I am on a $200 budget. I listen to all kinds of music. From rock to classical to popular music. I will be extremely happy if you guys were to help me out.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #3,197 of 5,364
Looking for IEMs under $200 with an overall balanced sound; a warm midrange with a controlled bass that's got a nice kick to it (nothing too overdone though). Comfort is key but isolation would be an appreciated bonus. Also, ould it be possible to know the general opinion on the thinksound series: ms01 or ts02?

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3,198 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for IEMs under $200 with an overall balanced sound; a warm midrange with a controlled bass that's got a nice kick to it (nothing too overdone though). Comfort is key but isolation would be an appreciated bonus. Also, ould it be possible to know the general opinion on the thinksound series: ms01 or ts02?

The XBA-30 ticks all your boxes and more. They have a balanced warm sound with the right amount of color that gets your head shakin' while sounding very accurate. I find them very comfortable and they isolate great in public. IMO they are unbeatable at their current price ($150) and just flat out one of the best IEMs available today.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #3,199 of 5,364
Quote:
Anything from Best Buy under 190. I would get headphones, but i badly need a couple pairs of earphones.

Hmm, haven't kept up with the US Best Buy but...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Refurbished+Earbud+Headphones/7750099.p?id=1218859511163&skuId=7750099 (if refurbs are okay)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/KRK+-+Studio+Monitor+Headphones/2522384.p?id=1218345458631&skuId=2522384
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Phiaton+-+Moderna+Series+Over-the-Ear+Headphones/2155136.p?id=1218312184410&skuId=2155136
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Over-the-Ear+Headphones+with+swap-cable+system+-+Satellite+%26+Black/2989131.p?id=1218374324536&skuId=2989131
Not sure if they are available in your specific branch, just used the website :p

Quote:
Ah, ok. I have tried different tips and EQ (can't listen to anything without EQ now :p) but the voices still sound off.

Hmm... I may just actually sell them now just too much trouble and i don't know how much the sound actually improves.

How does the UE900 compare to the CK100PRO's in terms of soundstage, instrument seperation, clarity and which one have more forward vocals?
Does EQ help control the immense treble. Also would the sibilance/revealing nature make it unsuitable for J-pop/J-rock?

Sorry for so many questions.  

Nope. Absolute treble monster. Can't recommend it for anything slightly grating. Especially if those eQ-7 were. 
Soundstage goes to the UEs, but everything else apart from maybe natural clarity, imaging, and forwardness, would be the CK100PRO's win.

Quote:
Hi there! Upgraditis has hit again, and I'm looking to invest in a nice pair of custom iems. I'm looking to spend right around $400, bringing the total cost with impressions to around $500. I've currently been looking at the JH-5 and 1964 Ears v3 which both seem to be worthy contenders in the price range. I'm looking for something with lush, warm, liquid mids and a tight, relatively impactful bass. Highs are wonderful, but not if they're grating or sibilant. To give a reference, I found my Grado SR-80i delightful, but far too tiring to listen to for long periods. I love my HD650 and have heard both the LCD-2 and HE-400 and love the darker, but liquid and smooth sound.

The following is a list, in descending order, of the things most important to me.
1. Sound Quality
2. Build Quality/Durability
3. Ability to pair well with/be driven by a phone. Source will be 320 Kbps or FLAC.
4. Isolation
5. Customer Service
6. Accessories

Thanks!

No idea with the actual customs, but the demos of both the ones you mentioned are nowhere near dark or liquid or smooth, not compared to the LCD-2s or really in general.

Might want to rethink your whole search. Can't help too much since custom experience is extremely limited.

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I currently own the Audiotechnica ESW9 and I love the sound that they deliver. I find it to be amazing. However, I am a college student that commutes and sometimes the ESW9 tend to be not that portable. I am now looking for an IEM/Earbuds with similar or better sound that the ESW9 provide. I am on a $200 budget. I listen to all kinds of music. From rock to classical to popular music. I will be extremely happy if you guys were to help me out.

IE800/BA200, FXZ100 if you really liked the AT's warmth. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #3,200 of 5,364
Which headphone would be better in overall sound quality? 

- Shure SE215 (New Blue Version) or Etymotic HF5 

The HF5 is $99 at Amazon and the SE215 blue can be had for about $120.

I would get the x10 as they are $80 but Amazon can't ship them to my country. 

I use an iPod and most of my music is in 320kbs MP3 format 

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #3,201 of 5,364
Quote:

Nope. Absolute treble monster. Can't recommend it for anything slightly grating. Especially if those eQ-7 were. 
Soundstage goes to the UEs, but everything else apart from maybe natural clarity, imaging, and forwardness, would be the CK100PRO's win.

Ah, ok. Was thinking of returning the UE900's so I can try the CK100PRO's, just to see which one I liked better before spending that amount of money. Since I found vocals a bit distant in the UE's sometimes especially on some J-rock/Visual Kei that I listen to.  

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #3,202 of 5,364
Yo i just stumbled on this site while looking for some in EAR not canal headphone. I listen to progressive house mainly (the real one). I have used 2 headphones so far Sennheiser CX 300ii(hate it cause its in ear canal) and AKG K315(my fav and bought 2 broke 2). So it'd be nice if you guys could link me to a good in ear headphone thats better than the cx300.
I also wonder what you guys think of the k315 and the cx300 ii.
Anyway thanks in advance.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #3,203 of 5,364
which one out of these for a budget of $100 (although, lower the better :D ) -

Sinnature Acoustics C-12 - $45
Brainwavz M2 ($60)
Brainwavz M5 (getting 2 for $45)
Velodyne Vpulse ( $100)
Audiofly AF45 ($60)
Audiofly AF56 ($100)
SoundMagic E30
Hifiman RE-400 (read some reviews, they say these are best sub $100)
Thinksound Ts02 ($100)

going to use them with either Clip+ or Fuse+.
I like punchy, accurate bass and clear vocals.
I listen to a very wide variety of genres, so mentioning them is of no use,

Looking forward for your help.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #3,204 of 5,364
1) I'm looking for in-ear that will have a good "subwoofer" and bass like vpulse (according to the reviews, as I actually didn't try one).
2) It should be comfortable as Sennheiser cx-200 that allows to sleep. It because the body of this in-ear is short, so when you place your head on the pillow it doesn't push it inside. I do have E10 and I cannot sleep with them or lie down listening to music if my head is on the side.
3) Efficiency should be at least 100db, better if 110db. That's also the reason I'm hesitating about Vpulse as they say they are 92db. Since E10 is 100db I wonder why velodyne cannot create in-ear with at least the efficiency of the chinese manufacturer.
4) Analog volume control. I don't really like the digital volume control and I don't understand the people who like it. I prefer to choose exactly the volume I like. In many phones or other devices the stepping is pretty rough. So I either get a volume too high from what I would like or too low. So the best scenario for me, is that I would set a maximum volume at whatever device I'm using for listening and use the analog wheel to control the volume in the headset. I assume that volume wheel should be in one body with mic and controls.
5) And it should have a mic to be used with apple/android devices.

Of course it must have good sound - lows, mids and highs. I think I would prefer clear, very detailed music with wide soundstage, however I'm just a virgin here. :)

Price 30$ - 150$.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #3,205 of 5,364
Hey :) 
Im looking for a portable on-ear headphone that sounds good with electronic music and occasionally some hip-hop.
Im also gonna work out and jog with them on a lot.
I had the SOL Republic Tracks HD previously but i gave them to my brother who needed them desperately so now im looking for a better alternative.
Price range: Under 200 dollars.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #3,206 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey :) 
Im looking for a portable on-ear headphone that sounds good with electronic music and occasionally some hip-hop.
Im also gonna work out and jog with them on a lot.
I had the SOL Republic Tracks HD previously but i gave them to my brother who needed them desperately so now im looking for a better alternative.
Price range: Under 200 dollars.

JVC HA-S500.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3,207 of 5,364
Hi,Im seeking help in terms of picking an appropriate in ear earphone ( those that hang downwards NOT over the ears ones ). I hope you can help me pick one ASAP.Rig: Samsung Galaxy S3Type of Music: Mostly hip hop, metal and sometimes rock and pop.Other Requirements: MUST be worn hanging downwards and comfortable. Built in mic and volume control would be a bonus however if the sound quality is really good, I wouldn't mind dropping those. Noise isolation should be great (for usage on public transport, noisy locations) and comfortable (long hours of use)Budget: Singapore Dollars $200~Can increase budget by about $50 if its really worth the cash.Thank you very much.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #3,208 of 5,364
Hey I'm not really an audiophile but i'm looking for in-ear headphones with good bass and I also need an inline microphone and I have a budget of around $60 -$70(Rs4000 maximum).I live in India so don't have many options to choose from.After a lot of searching I found
Soundmagic E10M(Out of stock)
MEElectronics CC51P
Brainwavz M4 with mic
Sony MH1C(Not available
frown.gif
)
Klipsch Image s4i
MEElectronics M11P+
Sennheiser MM 50 iP
Which of these will be best for me? I usually listen to rock,house,dubstep,metal.Also if there are other options available please suggest me some
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3,209 of 5,364
Hey all. I was hoping to get a few recommendations on sub-$50 IEM's. I'm not an audiophile. Just looking for some comfortable IEM's with a nice sound profile (I listen to jazz, zydeco, and bands like Radiohead, Portishead, Tool, System of a Down, etc.).

Through one of my credit card rewards program, I can grab a pair of MEE CW31's for $15.99 or MEE A151's for $46.99. I checked out the reviews of both in the big review thread and they both seem to be good deals but if there is not a tremendous sound difference, I'll be fine with the $16 CW31's.

Should I just grab one of those or is there a sub-$50 IEM that is a "must buy".

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3,210 of 5,364
I've been stalking and comparing reviews and now need a nudge to decide. I'm looking for some portable headphones, not buds or IEMs, for use while commuting on the bus and walking. My music is a mix of many things - video game soundtracks (treat as classical music), remixes (electronica/dance/etc), and various rock and pop artists. Looking for my first steps into audiophiledom, and thinking I'd love/appreciate something like the Grado-80i. Obviously those aren't good for commuting (sound leakage). I'm looking for something about <$100, though I can be a bit flexible.

So far my list to choose from are:
igrado
Sennheiser PX 200
Sony MDR-V6

I open to other suggestions, but currently I'm debating between the igrado and the sennheiser. Don't need something "bass heavy", I think I just want the true honest sound of that is what the music is supposed to be heard like, how the composer wished it to be heard. If that makes sense.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and help! Apologies for any annoyances and etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back