Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,181 of 5,364
Hi,

Sorry to derail this thread but I was wondering what would be a good portable amp for the CK100. I have tried asking in the portable amps section but didn't get any responses
frown.gif

They are very picky with sources, none of my current DAP seems to have good synergy with them. It is an iem that is said to excel in vocals, especially Japanese female vocalists which I tend to listen to alot. It is well regarded in many asian forums as the best for this genre. But the synergy issues have caused the vocals to sound nasal/veiled and kind of strident so I was just wondering if I should buy an amp and give it another shot before letting them go.

Preferably something thats small. Budget will be $100-$300 and will be used with the Sony Z-1070.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3,182 of 5,364
Hi all,
ive been reading the forum for while looking for ideas for a new headphone.
anyway I've made a purchase or two and come away disappointed so need some more specific suggestions.

I use my iPad and iPhone 4S for drum and bass podcasts so no use of the eq function on either device.
I'm no dre loving bass head but I do like  some extension in the lower bass sub bass area.
so far I purchased sennheiser momentum and sennheiser amperiors.
 For me the amperiors are just too damn harsh on the mids - really cutting.
they are only 30 hours of burn in old so this may change BUT they are really uncomfortable so they have to go.

the momentums are super comfy but are just too smooth.
These are also 30 hours old.

I'd like more bass less harsh mids and retain the sparkle in the highs .... What to buy ?

Really don't like the b&w p5 or p3 so suggest away :) 

To give an idea current inners ears are ultimate ears 5ebs which I love 
pics have a fiio 6e amp which on the blue setting help the momentum s but they are still too chilled.

sorry for the long 1st post......... I guess too much is better than too little :)
thanks for reading 

on and on

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #3,183 of 5,364
A quick question not really regarding buying a new headphone-
I have monster turbines right now and I'm looking to buy something a little more accurate and nuetral. I was looking into some Etymotics and saw that they all have a tri flange tips, so I put mine in. The turbines come with a large size and a small size, and I can only get the small ones in comftorably. I took pictures wearing single flange tips and the tri flanges and the amount of earphone still showing is the same, so I know they are in far enough. I have always thought I had big ears though, so I feel like the larger tri flanges should fit me. Of course it is possible I have big ears and a small canal, but I'm just checking. I can get the large tri flanges in maybe about halfway, but I don;t feel comfortable going in any further. Am I being a wuss or should I stick with the small size? How do the etymotics compare to these, both in sound quality and tip size/comfort.

Also, with the smaller tips in I don't feel like I notice much of a difference in sound quality. Isolation is definitely better, but thats about it. I am not much of an audiophile and don't have very exacting ears (yet 
darthsmile.gif
) Is it possible thats why I don't feel a difference or do the tips just not make a big difference? Does that mean I could use single flange tips on Ety's and not notice much of a difference other than isolation?
Also,sometimes I like to run my headphones through a speaker amp to get some more bass (Bose companion 2) Does amping affect the Ety's a whole lot? How much more bass could I get in?
Also, how do they do for jazz? (Soundstaging/positioning) 

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #3,184 of 5,364
Quote:
Guys I am desperate lol

noob finally wanting to get a pair of quality headphones. I've been having my eyes on Sennheiser MX985 for 4 months now but I finally gave up on them since I can't find them anywhere and I am looking for something around 100-130$ (150$ at max only if something trully stelar and worth the difference). Heard the MX985 are amazing but that there are quite a few better alternatives for that price. So which is it ?

For me it really is an investment and planning to keep these until they break. I want something that I can find in New York in stock because I can barely take it anymore lol

EDIT : I do NOT want in-ear canal or whatever is called, I prefer the MX normal style headphones.

Think they are referring to the Yuins, but that only counts if you don't include build into the equation, which you have. They are rather plasticky. But the sound is definitely on par, warm and pleasing. 

For build alone, go for the Senns. These http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MX-880-High-Performance-Integrated/dp/B0034L90EO/ref=pd_sim_e_3 are a lower tier, but not really too much of a downgrade, just a different sound.

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I think I settled on the FiiO E07K. Is there a reason that you didn't recommend this model? The E17 is quite a bit more price wise.

Will the E07K be enough for my phone/computer?

Edit: I am reading up more and I'm realizing that the E07K might not work with USB output from my HTC EVO 4g LTE. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Have only tried the E7. Can't give input on something I don't have or have not tried.

OTG cable, rom, kernel allows for it to detect the device. Sadly audio will still not work. Didn't see you had the Evo. Might want to just ask the E07K thread or wait until someone comes out with a JB rom later on. E18's also in the works.

Quote:
im sure this has been asked many times but everything i found seems outdated-  i have a ety pt4 & im looking for something similar- just with more bass and without that thin sound. Any ideas? Thanks

ER4P with more bass and less thin - GR01, PFE122 will have slightly more body. If you want significantly more UM3X or the BA200. 

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry to derail this thread but I was wondering what would be a good portable amp for the CK100. I have tried asking in the portable amps section but didn't get any responses
frown.gif

They are very picky with sources, none of my current DAP seems to have good synergy with them. It is an iem that is said to excel in vocals, especially Japanese female vocalists which I tend to listen to alot. It is well regarded in many asian forums as the best for this genre. But the synergy issues have caused the vocals to sound nasal/veiled and kind of strident so I was just wondering if I should buy an amp and give it another shot before letting them go.

Preferably something thats small. Budget will be $100-$300 and will be used with the Sony Z-1070.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, never bothered to try them with any other player than the Clip Zips since I went for the CK100PROs instead. Might be something for the portable amp subforum. 

IMO, just found them to be extremely transparent against the source. Not really synergy. If you simply want something less strident go for a warm DAC, warm amp like the Mini3, RSA (any of them) or a cMoy.. Blow that sucker up. Though EQ and tip-rolling should always be the first way to go for changing sigs. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #3,185 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all,
ive been reading the forum for while looking for ideas for a new headphone.
anyway I've made a purchase or two and come away disappointed so need some more specific suggestions.

I use my iPad and iPhone 4S for drum and bass podcasts so no use of the eq function on either device.
I'm no dre loving bass head but I do like  some extension in the lower bass sub bass area.
so far I purchased sennheiser momentum and sennheiser amperiors.
 For me the amperiors are just too damn harsh on the mids - really cutting.
they are only 30 hours of burn in old so this may change BUT they are really uncomfortable so they have to go.

the momentums are super comfy but are just too smooth.
These are also 30 hours old.

I'd like more bass less harsh mids and retain the sparkle in the highs .... What to buy ?

Really don't like the b&w p5 or p3 so suggest away :) 

To give an idea current inners ears are ultimate ears 5ebs which I love 
pics have a fiio 6e amp which on the blue setting help the momentum s but they are still too chilled.

sorry for the long 1st post......... I guess too much is better than too little :)
thanks for reading 

on and on

Going to use the HD25-1 as a replacement reference to the Amperiors (as I haven't heard the latter and the change in sound isn't reportedly that significant anyways). So basically something in between that and the Momentums, with sparkle. 

UE6000s, but those probably won't have enough sparkle. Sounds like the M100s might be worth a look, though have not heard them personally.
Quote:
A quick question not really regarding buying a new headphone-
I have monster turbines right now and I'm looking to buy something a little more accurate and nuetral. I was looking into some Etymotics and saw that they all have a tri flange tips, so I put mine in. The turbines come with a large size and a small size, and I can only get the small ones in comftorably. I took pictures wearing single flange tips and the tri flanges and the amount of earphone still showing is the same, so I know they are in far enough. I have always thought I had big ears though, so I feel like the larger tri flanges should fit me. Of course it is possible I have big ears and a small canal, but I'm just checking. I can get the large tri flanges in maybe about halfway, but I don;t feel comfortable going in any further. Am I being a wuss or should I stick with the small size? How do the etymotics compare to these, both in sound quality and tip size/comfort.

Also, with the smaller tips in I don't feel like I notice much of a difference in sound quality. Isolation is definitely better, but thats about it. I am not much of an audiophile and don't have very exacting ears (yet 
darthsmile.gif
) Is it possible thats why I don't feel a difference or do the tips just not make a big difference? Does that mean I could use single flange tips on Ety's and not notice much of a difference other than isolation?
Also,sometimes I like to run my headphones through a speaker amp to get some more bass (Bose companion 2) Does amping affect the Ety's a whole lot? How much more bass could I get in?
Also, how do they do for jazz? (Soundstaging/positioning) 

1) They also have foams. Single flanges would be fine, these are deep insertion IEMs. 
2) Tips affect seal. People tip roll to get a better seal. Once you have a perfect seal it won't do too much. Apart from foams, those warm everything up.
3) Get an impedance adapter if you're using speaker amps to power them. Output impedance would be fairly high (usually), would cause noise, not to mention the power probably blowing the earpieces out (BAs are sensitive) 
http://en.goldenears.net/1389

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #3,187 of 5,364
Sorry for post again.
I already had some good cheap IEMs like: Philips SHE3580 or Monoprice 8320, but their sounds lack of something ( Philips lack of Mid, Monoprice lack of bass ) 
So now I'm looking for an IEM 25-30$ that has quite Flat freq. response, balanced and detailed sound. 
I'm confusing between these choices:
-TTesports Isurus (Dsnuts discovered in an old topic)
-Feels Pro900 ( The BA driver IEM I can buy just for 30$ )
-T-peos D-200 series (the new comer from Korea)
Because I'm living in Korea so it's very difficult to buy IEM of Vsonic, Hippo, Soundmagic, JVC....with the normal price (usually the price is double or more)
So, can anyone help me to choose or another recommendation ?
Thanks very much ! 

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #3,188 of 5,364
I bought my Sony XBA-3 last September and it was faulty from the beginning. After 2-3 hours of continuous play, the right side would fade out and eventually go silent. I put up with this because my commute is ~2 hours and there are no IEMs allowed in the office, maybe once a month I had so much free time that I could experience the problem, everything was otherwise fine. I would give the earphones a couple hours "rest" and the sound would be back as normal.

Well, the problem got a lot worse over the months, until a month ago the right side cut out just 1 hour into a carefully prepared playlist on my way to work, having to listen to the rest of the world was just too much and I sent them back for a full refund.

I've been looking around for a few weeks trying to decide which IEM to buy next, I got the XBA-3s for ~£150 (Amazon.de), but my budget isn't much higher than that (theoretically up to £175-£180), since I have some other audio purchases coming up. There really isn't much going on around this price range, at least not over here in UK (customs fees and sales tax add 25-30% to US/JP imports), I'm thinking I should go with the XBA-3 again (although they are up to ~£162 on Amazon.de) and hope it works this time. Although there are a couple people with the exact same problem in the XBA-3 Appreciation thread...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

PS: On a sepreate note, I tried to purcahse some DT1350s cheap on eBay but they never showed up, three weeks wasted. The current new price is £220 over here (from a legit store), a little too much. Anyway to get these down a bit?

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #3,189 of 5,364
Quote:
Sorry for post again.
I already had some good cheap IEMs like: Philips SHE3580 or Monoprice 8320, but their sounds lack of something ( Philips lack of Mid, Monoprice lack of bass ) 
So now I'm looking for an IEM 25-30$ that has quite Flat freq. response, balanced and detailed sound. 
I'm confusing between these choices:
-TTesports Isurus (Dsnuts discovered in an old topic)
-Feels Pro900 ( The BA driver IEM I can buy just for 30$ )
-T-peos D-200 series (the new comer from Korea)
Because I'm living in Korea so it's very difficult to buy IEM of Vsonic, Hippo, Soundmagic, JVC....with the normal price (usually the price is double or more)
So, can anyone help me to choose or another recommendation ?
Thanks very much ! 

Have not heard any of those apart from the Isurus (and they are certainly not flat), sorry. In fact due to your location, all my usual recs fall flat :frowning2: Perhaps someone else can chime in here?

Quote:
I bought my Sony XBA-3 last September and it was faulty from the beginning. After 2-3 hours of continuous play, the right side would fade out and eventually go silent. I put up with this because my commute is ~2 hours and there are no IEMs allowed in the office, maybe once a month I had so much free time that I could experience the problem, everything was otherwise fine. I would give the earphones a couple hours "rest" and the sound would be back as normal.

Well, the problem got a lot worse over the months, until a month ago the right side cut out just 1 hour into a carefully prepared playlist on my way to work, having to listen to the rest of the world was just too much and I sent them back for a full refund.

I've been looking around for a few weeks trying to decide which IEM to buy next, I got the XBA-3s for ~£150 (Amazon.de), but my budget isn't much higher than that (theoretically up to £175-£180), since I have some other audio purchases coming up. There really isn't much going on around this price range, at least not over here in UK (customs fees and sales tax add 25-30% to US/JP imports), I'm thinking I should go with the XBA-3 again (although they are up to ~£162 on Amazon.de) and hope it works this time. Although there are a couple people with the exact same problem in the XBA-3 Appreciation thread...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

PS: On a sepreate note, I tried to purcahse some DT1350s cheap on eBay but they never showed up, three weeks wasted. The current new price is £220 over here (from a legit store), a little too much. Anyway to get these down a bit?

I've heard the right side cut-out problem on another unit as well. Apparently the cable got nicked. If you liked the sound enough, see no reason not to buy them again. Otherwise you could try the BA200, slightly better build (and not a lot of QC problems reported as of yet), same large and smooth sound but more cohesive and balanced out. Though it's around £20 higher than the max budget.  Nevermind was looking at amazon.de, amazon.uk (unless you can't use that for whatever reason) has it for ~133. 

Unless buying used, probably won't find the DT1350s any lower.

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #3,190 of 5,364
Quote:

Hmm, never bothered to try them with any other player than the Clip Zips since I went for the CK100PROs instead. Might be something for the portable amp subforum. 

IMO, just found them to be extremely transparent against the source. Not really synergy. If you simply want something less strident go for a warm DAC, warm amp like the Mini3, RSA (any of them) or a cMoy.. Blow that sucker up. Though EQ and tip-rolling should always be the first way to go for changing sigs. 

Ah, ok. I have tried different tips and EQ (can't listen to anything without EQ now :p) but the voices still sound off.

Hmm... I may just actually sell them now just too much trouble and i don't know how much the sound actually improves.

How does the UE900 compare to the CK100PRO's in terms of soundstage, instrument seperation, clarity and which one have more forward vocals?
Does EQ help control the immense treble. Also would the sibilance/revealing nature make it unsuitable for J-pop/J-rock?

Sorry for so many questions.  

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3,192 of 5,364
I've decided to use my tax refund to buy some nice portable headphones. I'm no audiophile but I can definitely tell the difference between good headphones and bad ones. I've looked around at various sites to try to decide what to lean towards but they have lead me all me all over the place. I want to keep the price in the mid 100s (130-170) but I can go up to 200 if really necessary. Here are the artists I listen to the most:
1. Rammstein (favorite band)
2. Dethklok
3. Children of Bodom
4. The Offspring
5. Disturbed
6. Skrillex (love some songs, hate others)
7. Korn
I listen to a bit of everything (rap, punk, pop, etc.) but those are the main artists I listen to ATM. Even though I listen to mostly metal, bass is pretty important to me but i dont want it to overpower everything else. Things I need in a pair of headphones:
1. Over ear
2. Detachable cable
3. Sounds good without amp
If there are some headphones that would work well but would be amazing with an amp I'd be willing to spring for a portable one but I'd still like to stay in my price range. If that's not possible I can look into getting an amp later. I listen to music mainly out of my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus atm) or out of my computer. They don't need to be ultra portable but I'd like to be able to grab them and listen to them outside of my house if need be. Something like the V-MODA LP2s are fine for me but I'm not sure if they'd give me the best music experience. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3,193 of 5,364
Quote:
I've decided to use my tax refund to buy some nice portable headphones. I'm no audiophile but I can definitely tell the difference between good headphones and bad ones. I've looked around at various sites to try to decide what to lean towards but they have lead me all me all over the place. I want to keep the price in the mid 100s (130-170) but I can go up to 200 if really necessary. Here are the artists I listen to the most:
1. Rammstein (favorite band)
2. Dethklok
3. Children of Bodom
4. The Offspring
5. Disturbed
6. Skrillex (love some songs, hate others)
7. Korn
I listen to a bit of everything (rap, punk, pop, etc.) but those are the main artists I listen to ATM. Even though I listen to mostly metal, bass is pretty important to me but i dont want it to overpower everything else. Things I need in a pair of headphones:
1. Over ear
2. Detachable cable
3. Sounds good without amp
If there are some headphones that would work well but would be amazing with an amp I'd be willing to spring for a portable one but I'd still like to stay in my price range. If that's not possible I can look into getting an amp later. I listen to music mainly out of my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus atm) or out of my computer. They don't need to be ultra portable but I'd like to be able to grab them and listen to them outside of my house if need be. Something like the V-MODA LP2s are fine for me but I'm not sure if they'd give me the best music experience. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Well I can make a little list of cans in your price range (amazon)
AKG K167 Tiesto ($150)- they don't have a replaceable cable though
V Moda M80 ($150)- plus you get a case, and extra cable, and customizable shields!
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (Prices Range from $150-200)- though they are pretty large
Philips Citiscape Uptown ($90-120)- though they don't have a replaceable cable
Logitech UE6000 ($200)- probably the best choice, and have everything you want, though I warn you, the earpads, or just parts n general arent replaceable

Hope This Helps!

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #3,194 of 5,364
Should I move on from mx400s?

I'm about to buy my fourth pair of mx400s, but am wondering if I should go for something else

They are still out there for about £12. Is there anything else out there that would be such good value, and would maybe last more than 18months, which is when the mx400s seem to die.

Want to spend under £40.

Thanks!

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #3,195 of 5,364
Hi there! Upgraditis has hit again, and I'm looking to invest in a nice pair of custom iems. I'm looking to spend right around $400, bringing the total cost with impressions to around $500. I've currently been looking at the JH-5 and 1964 Ears v3 which both seem to be worthy contenders in the price range. I'm looking for something with lush, warm, liquid mids and a tight, relatively impactful bass. Highs are wonderful, but not if they're grating or sibilant. To give a reference, I found my Grado SR-80i delightful, but far too tiring to listen to for long periods. I love my HD650 and have heard both the LCD-2 and HE-400 and love the darker, but liquid and smooth sound.

The following is a list, in descending order, of the things most important to me.
1. Sound Quality
2. Build Quality/Durability
3. Ability to pair well with/be driven by a phone. Source will be 320 Kbps or FLAC.
4. Isolation
5. Customer Service
6. Accessories

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back