Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 11, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #3,166 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm a complete newbie to the audiophile world, but I'm finally sick of cheap earbuds crapping out on me and needing to be replaced at regular intervals and looking to invest a good amount of money into a more comfortable, higher quality and reliable model. 

Budget: $60-70. 
Genres: opera (so need something that does well with higher vocal ranges), jazz, pop/rock (where I kind of like bassy sounds).

I mostly listen to music while jogging or before I go to sleep, so comfort is something that I'd really like and would pay a premium for. A good warranty would be great as well, or barring that, well-known reliability and durability. A lot of the earbuds I've had would end up hurting my ears after extended amount of use. I guess my ears are on the small side?

I don't know if it's asking for too much for my budget, but I could be convinced to take it up higher if my current price range doesn't offer any earbuds that fit my specification.

Comfortable, opera/vocals/jazz/pop - if comfort really is that important, the PFE012 destroy the rest of the competition. Shells are extremely petit and ergonomic. As mentioned might take a bit more than what's on the budget though. E30s would also be a nice contender and well under the price as well.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #3,167 of 5,364
Is $150 a good price for the solid bass audio technica ath-ws77? How do they sound? I listen to mainly to dance and electro. How can I order electronics from amazon Japan and get them shipped to Australia?? Thanks in advance. :)

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #3,168 of 5,364
Quote:
Have not experienced it myself, but yes the R-50 cable is a common complaint. Would not suggest them anyways as they might be bit too bright sounding. Out of the lineup the A161P seem to fit all the criteria already, probably won't need to look at much else (the FXT90s the Aurvana 3s are much more mid-forward/centric and lush, clarity-wise not nearing the A161P)

Thanks for the suggestion. How does the Hifiman re400 compare to these?

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #3,170 of 5,364
Quote:
Comfortable, opera/vocals/jazz/pop - if comfort really is that important, the PFE012 destroy the rest of the competition. Shells are extremely petit and ergonomic. As mentioned might take a bit more than what's on the budget though. E30s would also be a nice contender and well under the price as well.

Thank you for the recommendations! I looked up the PFE012s, and got a message from the manufacturer about discontinuing their production, so I might have to pass on that given their price and uncertain future of warranties. 

I think I might eventually pull the trigger on the E30, though I hear some cons about its build quality. If anyone has suggestions of similar IEMs but with sturdier build, I'd love to hear them!

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #3,171 of 5,364
Quote:
Thank you for the recommendations! I looked up the PFE012s, and got a message from the manufacturer about discontinuing their production, so I might have to pass on that given their price and uncertain future of warranties. 

I think I might eventually pull the trigger on the E30, though I hear some cons about its build quality. If anyone has suggestions of similar IEMs but with sturdier build, I'd love to hear them!

Ah, yes, I've warned previously about them closing shop here before. 

It's going to be real hard to find something with bulletproof build and comfort at this price. Not to mention balanced. The GR04 almost gets there but the fit is a conventionally straight-down barrel sort of deal. If you think that might work out definitely look at that. Also not having heard the VC02 but apparently the shells are rather miniscule and comfort is not at all an issue.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #3,172 of 5,364
Recently learned I had a couple Best Buy gift cards that have about $200. I chose 3 pairs of earphones, the Sennheisers CX275s, MEElectronics SP51P, and the MEElectronics Armature A151's. Are these good earphones, that are worth the buy? Please advise.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #3,173 of 5,364
Quote:
Recently learned I had a couple Best Buy gift cards that have about $200. I chose 3 pairs of earphones, the Sennheisers CX275s, MEElectronics SP51P, and the MEElectronics Armature A151's. Are these good earphones, that are worth the buy? Please advise.

The A151s are, greatly underrated. Others are meh. 

What are the other choices you get to choose from?

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #3,174 of 5,364
Guys I am desperate lol

noob finally wanting to get a pair of quality headphones. I've been having my eyes on Sennheiser MX985 for 4 months now but I finally gave up on them since I can't find them anywhere and I am looking for something around 100-130$ (150$ at max only if something trully stelar and worth the difference). Heard the MX985 are amazing but that there are quite a few better alternatives for that price. So which is it ?

For me it really is an investment and planning to keep these until they break. I want something that I can find in New York in stock because I can barely take it anymore lol

EDIT : I do NOT want in-ear canal or whatever is called, I prefer the MX normal style headphones.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3,175 of 5,364
Quote:
The GR10 is one of a kind and I've yet to hear anything like it, let alone one with detachable cables. Unless you count the eQ-5 + removable cable mods by BTG.

If you have to make do, a budget would be helpful. Something like the SM3 (have not heard the SM64) or the FXZ200 (but a bit too bassy relatively) would have the same sort of cohesiveness. There's good things said about the 3.A in this regard, but I have the universal version not the custom, so can't speak too much about that. Again difficult as the GR10s are very unique-sounding. 

Laptop - DAC/AMP combo through USB or otherwise. Something cheap like the E17 (would also work with the phone albeit just the amp part and not the DAC) would be simple enough. There is a huge slew of portable amp/dacs out there and it would be best to consult the proper subforum to get more precise information.

Phone - if the phone has no line-out or USB audio capabilities an amp, let alone an amp/dac, would be a moot point unless the phone itself is startlingly clean, in which case you would not even need an amp in the first place.

Thanks for the input, I think I settled on the FiiO E07K. Is there a reason that you didn't recommend this model? The E17 is quite a bit more price wise.

Will the E07K be enough for my phone/computer?

Edit: I am reading up more and I'm realizing that the E07K might not work with USB output from my HTC EVO 4g LTE. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #3,176 of 5,364
I already had some good cheap IEMs like: Philips SHE3580 or Monoprice 8320, but their sounds lack of something ( Philips lack of Mid, Monoprice lack of bass ) 
So now I'm looking for an IEM under 30$ that has more Flat freq. response, balanced and detailed sound. 
I'm confusing between these choices:
-TTesports Isurus (Dsnuts discovered in an old topic)
-Feels Pro900 ( The BA driver IEM I can buy just for 30$ )
-T-peos D-200 series (the new comer from Korea)
Because I'm living in Korea so it's very difficult to buy IEM of Vsonic, Hippo, Soundmagic, JVC....with the normal price (usually the price is double or more)
So, can anyone give me a recommendation ?
Thanks very much ! 

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #3,177 of 5,364
MDR 1R or Philips Fidelio L1 or M80s or UE6000 (dont want the senn momentum or m100)

Please Help, i need to choose quickly.
My favorite genres include: R&B, small amount of rap, jrock/pop, a little classical.
I will be using these on the train and bus, so portability and isolation are priorities.
Im just wondering if i should save up for the MDR 1R or settle for the Fidelio L1.  It doesn't really seem like the others even have a chance, but whatever.

Decision must be made within 2 days and i have $250.

Thanks in Advance!

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #3,178 of 5,364
MDR 1R or Philips Fidelio L1 or M80s or UE6000 (dont want the senn momentum or m100)

Please Help, i need to choose quickly.

My favorite genres include: R&B, small amount of rap, jrock/pop, a little classical.

I will be using these on the train and bus, so portability and isolation are priorities.

Im just wondering if i should save up for the MDR 1R or settle for the Fidelio L1.  It doesn't really seem like the others even have a chance, but whatever.

Decision must be made within 2 days and i have $250.

Thanks in Advance!

Calm down sir.
You've been asking this same question all over this forum. It seems as if you want us to decide for you. No one hear knows your taste, you do. Go demo them.the ue6000 can be heard at best buy. Check out the phones in the stereo section too. The m80 can be heard in many radio shack. I haven't seen the others in the wild, but I'm sure they're available somewhere

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,180 of 5,364
Sorry, I just been through many cans lately.  I swear I've bought like 7 pairs in a month and am not liking this trial and error method.  Ive spent like $70 on shipping.

Anyway, your right.  I guess ill decide on my own and just surf the web for guidance.

Thanks! Ill head to radio shack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back