Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #3,151 of 5,364
Ive had my SE215s for 5 days now. At first they were underwhelming TBH.After a day they sounded a lot better, and the bass got better.
But there are still problems for me. I got the LTDs because they were "enhanced bass".But i need a bit more oomph.
Another issue is the over the ear design. I wear glasses, and it's uncomfortable, and time consuming taking them on and off.
And if someone talks to me i have no choice but to remove them. And then wait for the foam tips to resettle once i put them back in.The rubber tips are faster of course, but from my experience (medium foam are my size) , they don't block out as much as foam does. which sucks for me.
Can ya'll help me with suggestions for my needs? If i have to i'll buy foam tips separately if the stock buds dont come with them.
Max budget = 125

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,152 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey, I've been posting here looking for some phones and I have narrowed down to three.

Shure SE215 - IEM
Shure SRH440 - Over the ear
Sony MDRZX700 - Over the ear

They all are at the same price range, at max £80.
I listen mainly rock, electronic, jazz, classical and pop. I'd like a balanced and neutral but still ''fun'' headphone, confortable and durable.
My sources will be my ipod, android device and computer.
Which of the three would be the most indicated for me?
I have already read a lot of reviews and can't quite decide between those three, but I'm more inclined to buy the SE215.
Is IEMs really better than over the ears? 
Thanks for the advice!

IEMs being better than over-ears will be completely subjective to whichever one would prefer. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620641/do-you-prefer-headphones-or-iem
They present different paradigms, difficult to compare.

The SE215 would be the most fun out of the lot though.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #3,153 of 5,364
Quote:
Ive had my SE215s for 5 days now. At first they were underwhelming TBH.After a day they sounded a lot better, and the bass got better.
But there are still problems for me. I got the LTDs because they were "enhanced bass".But i need a bit more oomph.
Another issue is the over the ear design. I wear glasses, and it's uncomfortable, and time consuming taking them on and off.
And if someone talks to me i have no choice but to remove them. And then wait for the foam tips to resettle once i put them back in.The rubber tips are faster of course, but from my experience (medium foam are my size) , they don't block out as much as foam does. which sucks for me.
Can ya'll help me with suggestions for my needs? If i have to i'll buy foam tips separately if the stock buds dont come with them.
Max budget = 125

More bassy, straight-down style, <$125 - FXT90, MS01,CKS77. FXZ100 or the Atrios if you could stretch the budget. (Possibly) the CKN70 would be worth a look but have not heard personally. The Discovery thread raves about them though, and they are well below budget.

For the foam tips, the Monster foam Supertips are foam, but easier to insert as you won't have to wait for compression. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3,154 of 5,364
Quote:
More bassy, straight-down style, <$125 - FXT90, MS01,CKS77. FXZ100 or the Atrios if you could stretch the budget. (Possibly) the CKN70 would be worth a look but have not heard personally. The Discovery thread raves about them though, and they are well below budget.

For the foam tips, the Monster foam Supertips are foam, but easier to insert as you won't have to wait for compression. 

Thanks for the help.

Are you listing these in order of sound or just naming them?

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3,157 of 5,364
Quote:
i  think i have nailed it down to two! Sennheiser IE8, or BA200s
whivh is better and why?
mostly for rock and comfort.

Have i missed anything? :)

Rock - the TDKs will keep up a bit better due to better transient response. IE8s are detailed enough but a bit slow from all that bass decay.
Comfort - Toss up. If you don't mind the over-ear guide thing the TDKs will win this as well, without even trying. If straight-down is the ONLY possible way, then...I would still say the BA200s since you can reverse the earpiece for straight-down wear and reverse the channels as well.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #3,160 of 5,364
Trying to decide on the best pair of earbuds in the $99-$199 range (tentatively)

I currently own the Klipsch S4i rugged and I love them however I would like to upgrade to a high quality iem for (pen)ultimate listening pleasure!

(I listen to a WIDE ranch of music primarily rock,alt rock, classic rock, hit hop, pop everything from Cake, rhcp, sublime, muse, Beatles, queen, led zeppelin, acdc, Stevie wonder, cat Stevens, bill withers, beach boys, Michael Jackson, dr dre, eminem, gorillaz, Beethoven, Mozart etc... )

Ideally I like musical accurate bass that can kick decently, defined robust mids and vocals, and crisp clean highs. Overall sq is important, as is soundstage, fun sound

Which one of the following 4 iem would be the best bang for my buck? And how would the others compare
Shure se215
se315
Westone 2
Westone 3

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #3,161 of 5,364
Quote:
Rock - the TDKs will keep up a bit better due to better transient response. IE8s are detailed enough but a bit slow from all that bass decay.
Comfort - Toss up. If you don't mind the over-ear guide thing the TDKs will win this as well, without even trying. If straight-down is the ONLY possible way, then...I would still say the BA200s since you can reverse the earpiece for straight-down wear and reverse the channels as well.

would any of the following be any better for rock twin ?
vsonic gr07
shure se 425
westone 2

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #3,162 of 5,364
Quote:
would any of the following be any better for rock twin ?
vsonic gr07
shure se 425
westone 2

The GR07 would be a personal favourite for rock. Mid-bass kick is phenomenal, just great texture and dynamics for rock overall. SE425s are rather neutral/balanced, would be decent all-round so rock wouldn't be a problem. The W2 notes are pretty delicate, not to mention the tonality, might not lend itself for rock better than the others.

Quote:
Trying to decide on the best pair of earbuds in the $99-$199 range (tentatively)

I currently own the Klipsch S4i rugged and I love them however I would like to upgrade to a high quality iem for (pen)ultimate listening pleasure!

(I listen to a WIDE ranch of music primarily rock,alt rock, classic rock, hit hop, pop everything from Cake, rhcp, sublime, muse, Beatles, queen, led zeppelin, acdc, Stevie wonder, cat Stevens, bill withers, beach boys, Michael Jackson, dr dre, eminem, gorillaz, Beethoven, Mozart etc... )

Ideally I like musical accurate bass that can kick decently, defined robust mids and vocals, and crisp clean highs. Overall sq is important, as is soundstage, fun sound

Which one of the following 4 iem would be the best bang for my buck? And how would the others compare
Shure se215
se315
Westone 2
Westone 3

Soundstage would be a win for the W3, but definitely mids are not rich or forward. They are clear but put towards the back. 
The SE215 or the W2s would have the more forward mids. Stage is slightly better on the Westones. Highs are also less rolled off. Bass is soft, slight bump in the mid-bass, relatively tight compared to the dynamics, and definitely musical enough. 

The PFE122 are similar, in fact too similar that I would probably have to have them side-by-side for comparisons in order to tell you the difference. Would edge out the SE315 as well.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,163 of 5,364
Ke
The GR07 would be a personal favourite for rock. Mid-bass kick is phenomenal, just great texture and dynamics for rock overall. SE425s are rather neutral/balanced, would be decent all-round so rock wouldn't be a problem. The W2 notes are pretty delicate, not to mention the tonality, might not lend itself for rock better than the others.

Soundstage would be a win for the W3, but definitely mids are not rich or forward. They are clear but put towards the back. 
The SE215 or the W2s would have the more forward mids. Stage is slightly better on the Westones. Highs are also less rolled off. Bass is soft, slight bump in the mid-bass, relatively tight compared to the dynamics, and definitely musical enough. 

The PFE122 are similar, in fact too similar that I would probably have to have them side-by-side for comparisons in order to tell you the difference. Would edge out the SE315 as well.

...Keep in mind I would like a very noticible upgrade from my Klipsch image s4i rugged in terms of overall listening enjoyment...would you recommend the westone 2 or gr07 over shure es215,es315? Tf10?

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #3,164 of 5,364
Quote:
Ke
...Keep in mind I would like a very noticible upgrade from my Klipsch image s4i rugged in terms of overall listening enjoyment...would you recommend the westone 2 or gr07 over shure es215,es315? Tf10?

It will be as noticeable as you want. The differences/upgrades are entirely subject to how one hears their stuff. General consensus will say that it is an upgrade, but in the end it'll be your ears to decide.

For rock, the GR07 would most likely edge out the rest. Not so sure about the W2.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #3,165 of 5,364
I'm a complete newbie to the audiophile world, but I'm finally sick of cheap earbuds crapping out on me and needing to be replaced at regular intervals and looking to invest a good amount of money into a more comfortable, higher quality and reliable model. 

Budget: $60-70. 
Genres: opera (so need something that does well with higher vocal ranges), jazz, pop/rock (where I kind of like bassy sounds).

I mostly listen to music while jogging or before I go to sleep, so comfort is something that I'd really like and would pay a premium for. A good warranty would be great as well, or barring that, well-known reliability and durability. A lot of the earbuds I've had would end up hurting my ears after extended amount of use. I guess my ears are on the small side?

I don't know if it's asking for too much for my budget, but I could be convinced to take it up higher if my current price range doesn't offer any earbuds that fit my specification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back