Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 10, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #3,136 of 5,364
Sorry for not being specific, thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm a orchestral player and therefore 80% of my playlist consist orchestral music. I'd like the sound to be as real as it can be, and LOUD, for quiet music, that's why I've been looking at the JVC fxz200.

Just to add to the list, the Ortofon eq-5 sounds really natural, is very easy to drive and has excellent mids. Isolation is goos. They can be had for just under 200, so id you're looking for something with less bass than the fxz200, you might want to take them in consideration.

@TwinQY: no offence intended, but I was wondering why you don't recommend the eq5. They're stellar at the current price point and have been rated highly by both Joker and ClieOS at a much higher price. Just curious, so please don't take it the wrong way! :)

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3,137 of 5,364
Quote:
Just to add to the list, the Ortofon eq-5 sounds really natural, is very easy to drive and has excellent mids. Isolation is goos. They can be had for just under 200, so id you're looking for something with less bass than the fxz200, you might want to take them in consideration.

@TwinQY: no offence intended, but I was wondering why you don't recommend the eq5. They're stellar at the current price point and have been rated highly by both Joker and ClieOS at a much higher price. Just curious, so please don't take it the wrong way!
smily_headphones1.gif

I own the eQ-5 currently and am heavily biased against it. Might be strange but I find it a conflict of interest personally. Would much rather recommend stuff that I own but very occasionally use, previously owned or borrowed extensively (less of these two), it's much more impersonal that way. It's also why I avoid talking about the MT300s or the W4s or the 3.Ai too often (although when it's very fitting I will have to) as those are the ones I use on a daily basis and rave about, but feel fine recommending the FXD80 and the M2s since they are kept in a drawer with little use. Usually listening memory/experience is not an issue, I can grab them out whenever to answer a specific question or just refer to my notes.

If anyone asks about them though, I would gladly answer in kind or provide opinions. I just see it as a dilemma to recommend something off the bat one is heavily skewed towards. I enjoy the Ortofons too much to be partial when talking about them. It might seem to not make much sense to  not recommend something you like and own, but I have to be as impartial as possible here and adjust for new-toy syndrome. Of course some bias will slip in but I do what I can to prevent too much of that.

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #3,138 of 5,364
Interesting perspective and I understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't recommend looking into them if I don't feel they would be a great fit. Problem is that I don't have a big collection of IEMs, so I can't compare them directly to the more popular choices. This is why you see me recommending them occasionally, but I try to stay informative and add the disclaimer that I haven't heard the other choices.

Ah well, thanks for clearing it up, let's get back on topic before we start discussing recommendations.. :)

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,141 of 5,364
Hi, I am looking to buy a new pair of iems. So far, I have rounded up my list to:
rockitsounds r-50
jvc ha-fxt90
creative aurvana 3
meelectronics a161p
I listen to mainly pop, but also r&b, soundtracks, vocals and electronic. I prefer an earphone with clarity and detail but not too bright sounding. Good bass but not overpowering bass for bassheads. I am going to power it mostly with a sansa clip zip. Isolation is not an important factor to me. Hope I can get some help. Suggestions are welcome.
I have read amazon reviews about the r-50 going dead and bad wire quality. Is that true?

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #3,143 of 5,364
Quote:
blocking out all noise on the road might not be a good idea. you need to be somewhat aware of your surroundings

i don't understand why people say this. honestly, if you're smart about it and don't do stupid things like cut directly across busy intersections, you're perfectly fine as long as you look both ways :D

it's an absolute pain trying to listen to music using something that doesn't isolate very well. it's almost impossible to hear any bass whatsoever

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #3,144 of 5,364
Quote:
i don't understand why people say this. honestly, if you're smart about it and don't do stupid things like cut directly across busy intersections, you're perfectly fine as long as you look both ways :D

it's an absolute pain trying to listen to music using something that doesn't isolate very well. it's almost impossible to hear any bass whatsoever

I understand what you are saying. But there are times when the only cue as to what is unexpectedly coming or happening around you is an auditory one. That is what makes me feel a bit uncomfortable about being blocked off auditory wise.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #3,145 of 5,364
Quote:
There is no comparison. Not only are they not in them same league, they themselves are not very competitive with those in the same price bracket. 

People generally cite the VC02 as being a good RE0 alternative, have no experience with that but might want to take a look anyways. R-30s are slightly above that range and do what is asked quite nicely as well. If there was a choice would still spring for the R-50s though.

I just placed my amazon order for some HF5s, they should be here by Wednesday!

I'm pretty excited about this, but I have read they can be even better with an amp.

I'm thinking about maybe a FiiO E11 Amp, but I know almost nothing about amps for portable headphones, any recommendations as to what amp?

I don't want to spend too much on the amp, under $100.

thanks a lot for the help finding the HF5s, I'm sure I will be impressed.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3,146 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I am looking to buy a new pair of iems. So far, I have rounded up my list to:
rockitsounds r-50
jvc ha-fxt90
creative aurvana 3
meelectronics a161p
I listen to mainly pop, but also r&b, soundtracks, vocals and electronic. I prefer an earphone with clarity and detail but not too bright sounding. Good bass but not overpowering bass for bassheads. I am going to power it mostly with a sansa clip zip. Isolation is not an important factor to me. Hope I can get some help. Suggestions are welcome.
I have read amazon reviews about the r-50 going dead and bad wire quality. Is that true?

Have not experienced it myself, but yes the R-50 cable is a common complaint. Would not suggest them anyways as they might be bit too bright sounding. Out of the lineup the A161P seem to fit all the criteria already, probably won't need to look at much else (the FXT90s the Aurvana 3s are much more mid-forward/centric and lush, clarity-wise not nearing the A161P)

Quote:
I just placed my amazon order for some HF5s, they should be here by Wednesday!

I'm pretty excited about this, but I have read they can be even better with an amp.

I'm thinking about maybe a FiiO E11 Amp, but I know almost nothing about amps for portable headphones, any recommendations as to what amp?

I don't want to spend too much on the amp, under $100.

thanks a lot for the help finding the HF5s, I'm sure I will be impressed.

The HF5s are pretty sensitive and would not benefit much from an amp. Especially if your DAP is decent enough. What device will you be playing these out of?

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #3,147 of 5,364
Quote:
Have not experienced it myself, but yes the R-50 cable is a common complaint. Would not suggest them anyways as they might be bit too bright sounding. Out of the lineup the A161P seem to fit all the criteria already, probably won't need to look at much else (the FXT90s the Aurvana 3s are much more mid-forward/centric and lush, clarity-wise not nearing the A161P)

The HF5s are pretty sensitive and would not benefit much from an amp. Especially if your DAP is decent enough. What device will you be playing these out of?

I need a better DAP, that's for sure. I will be playing music/audio through my phone HTC EVO 4G LTE, and my computer's motherboard audio board.

How do I get a more "pure" sound out of my laptop/computer/phone?

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #3,148 of 5,364
Could someone please recommend an earphone (w/detachable cable) that is very similar to the sound signature of the Grado GR10? The fact that the GR10 has minimum accessories and only a 1 year warranty is a major deal breaker. Thanks in advance.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #3,149 of 5,364
Quote:
Could someone please recommend an earphone (w/detachable cable) that is very similar to the sound signature of the Grado GR10? The fact that the GR10 has minimum accessories and only a 1 year warranty is a major deal breaker. Thanks in advance.

The GR10 is one of a kind and I've yet to hear anything like it, let alone one with detachable cables. Unless you count the eQ-5 + removable cable mods by BTG.

If you have to make do, a budget would be helpful. Something like the SM3 (have not heard the SM64) or the FXZ200 (but a bit too bassy relatively) would have the same sort of cohesiveness. There's good things said about the 3.A in this regard, but I have the universal version not the custom, so can't speak too much about that. Again difficult as the GR10s are very unique-sounding. 

Quote:
I need a better DAP, that's for sure. I will be playing music/audio through my phone HTC EVO 4G LTE, and my computer's motherboard audio board.

How do I get a more "pure" sound out of my laptop/computer/phone?

Laptop - DAC/AMP combo through USB or otherwise. Something cheap like the E17 (would also work with the phone albeit just the amp part and not the DAC) would be simple enough. There is a huge slew of portable amp/dacs out there and it would be best to consult the proper subforum to get more precise information.

Phone - if the phone has no line-out or USB audio capabilities an amp, let alone an amp/dac, would be a moot point unless the phone itself is startlingly clean, in which case you would not even need an amp in the first place.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #3,150 of 5,364
Hey, I've been posting here looking for some phones and I have narrowed down to three.

Shure SE215 - IEM
Shure SRH440 - Over the ear
Sony MDRZX700 - Over the ear

They all are at the same price range, at max £80.
I listen mainly rock, electronic, jazz, classical and pop. I'd like a balanced and neutral but still ''fun'' headphone, confortable and durable.
My sources will be my ipod, android device and computer.
Which of the three would be the most indicated for me?
I have already read a lot of reviews and can't quite decide between those three, but I'm more inclined to buy the SE215.
Is IEMs really better than over the ears? 
Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back