Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #3,106 of 5,364
hello head-fiers..

My first post here. I have been trolling the forums as long as I can remember and owe my audio purchases to you folks. many thanks!
I currently own the sony mdr ex 1000 and though a lot of opinions suggested how the iem may not be best suited for metal music,
I decided to go against the grain and put the sony to test. A lot of things I read, I observed while listening, and today after numerous
hours or brain burn-in , I find the signature differing upon the recording and complexity of metal music I listen to. The differences, mainly
in the handling and resolution of the aforesaid complexity. Some tracks/artists have absolute synergy with the sonys while for others,
the iem just gets down right fatiguing and sibilant ( as I expected for most parts of metal music but the exceptions kept me going ) .
Now I am beginning to wonder if I am forcing myself to love the sonys despite the shortcomings and domesticating my ears to accept
the greatness of the iem ( tethered to the genre it may not be deemed fit )
Making a long story longer, and coming to the main point, I am considering trying out the audeo pfe 232 and would welcome any of your
knowledgeable inputs if anyone have compared the two for their merits and flaws..a/b.
I listen to a wide range of metal music and I need all I have in my sonys, with better isolation and more bass.

thanks and please be kind if i may have sounded nooby..:)

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3,107 of 5,364
Quote:
Comfort would be a plus, but I might buy some comply tips as well... I have heard the build quality on the x10's is so-so, but I cant seem to shy away from them because they are so cheap! $90 for a 350~ iem seems too good to be true...

They would be overpriced otherwise. Didn't used to be so popular because of the excessive pricing. Build is not as bad as people always say, but could be considered slightly below average. Still fairly usable though. The gel tips are comfortable enough for most (probably some of the most comfy IEM tips period) that Complys wouldn't even be needed (would muddle the sound down anyways)

In comparison, the FXZ100s are built like a champ. FXD80s have metal housings and ingenious strain reliefs.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #3,108 of 5,364
Quote:
hello head-fiers..

My first post here. I have been trolling the forums as long as I can remember and owe my audio purchases to you folks. many thanks!
I currently own the sony mdr ex 1000 and though a lot of opinions suggested how the iem may not be best suited for metal music,
I decided to go against the grain and put the sony to test. A lot of things I read, I observed while listening, and today after numerous
hours or brain burn-in , I find the signature differing upon the recording and complexity of metal music I listen to. The differences, mainly
in the handling and resolution of the aforesaid complexity. Some tracks/artists have absolute synergy with the sonys while for others,
the iem just gets down right fatiguing and sibilant ( as I expected for most parts of metal music but the exceptions kept me going ) .
Now I am beginning to wonder if I am forcing myself to love the sonys despite the shortcomings and domesticating my ears to accept
the greatness of the iem ( tethered to the genre it may not be deemed fit )
Making a long story longer, and coming to the main point, I am considering trying out the audeo pfe 232 and would welcome any of your
knowledgeable inputs if anyone have compared the two for their merits and flaws..a/b.
I listen to a wide range of metal music and I need all I have in my sonys, with better isolation and more bass.

thanks and please be kind if i may have sounded nooby..:)

Have not compared them directly, but have heard the two in a reasonably spaced interval of time (a month or two, give or take). 

EX1000:
- Amazing timbre and realism, slightly edges the Phonaks out, metal might not take full advantage of it but it's there
- Bass texture is much more vivid, detailed. The Phonaks aren't as textured from memory.
- Mids have more weight and body
- Build is among the best on an IEM to date, Phonaks are no slouch, but the EX1000 have this sort of luxurious finish that nothing really competes with.

PFE232:
- Very clean fast bass that keeps up with metal nicely, in fact transient response in general is outstandingly good. Due to leaner note presentation the speed is more apparent than with the Sonys
- Both have upper-mids and treble emphasis, but the PFEs are smoother and less peaky.
- Overall a more energetic but less fatiguing listen. 
- Far better ergonomics, comfort, isolation (though not the most isolating, better than the Sonys still)

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #3,110 of 5,364
Thanks TwinQY !..much appreciated the comparisons..its just that now im in deeper dilemma..as both have their strengths it seems..!
Based on what i seem to understand, the pfe 232 seems to fit the bill as it checks a few essential boxes for metal music..
What would you recommend for metal/alt rock/post.., if I were willing to go all the way , but not into 'customs land'..

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #3,112 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks TwinQY !..much appreciated the comparisons..its just that now im in deeper dilemma..as both have their strengths it seems..!
Based on what i seem to understand, the pfe 232 seems to fit the bill as it checks a few essential boxes for metal music..
What would you recommend for metal/alt rock/post.., if I were willing to go all the way , but not into 'customs land'..

Post-rock/rock/metal-wise.....personally would go for the PFE232 or the UE900. BAs really keep up nicely with this sort of stuff. Effortless speed and separation. IMO the EX1000 are among some of the best IEMs period but really more for the classical/acoustic nut who wants organic realism in every sense of the word.

Ha, just saw you ask about the UE900 just as I finish posting this.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3,113 of 5,364
Quote:
Post-rock/rock/metal-wise.....personally would go for the PFE232 or the UE900. BAs really keep up nicely with this sort of stuff. Effortless speed and separation. IMO the EX1000 are among some of the best IEMs period but really more for the classical/acoustic nut who wants organic realism in every sense of the word.

Ha, just saw you ask about the UE900 just as I finish posting this.

thanks !..that clears some fog..yeh you are right about the EX 1000. Works well with gothic metal where there is some lushness to the aid, but the moment I step into anything like math core ..dang..i hear every thing crashing feverishly..
I think I will go for the audeo PFE 232 and give it a shot . I know that joker rated the isolation for the PFE 232 at 3.5 on a scale of 5...just above average..hope the tips help out with that..
on a side note..i read many also recommend the W4s or the Heier 4ai for metal..wondering if you had a chance to listen to either of them and how you felt?..

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3,115 of 5,364
Quote:
thanks !..that clears some fog..yeh you are right about the EX 1000. Works well with gothic metal where there is some lushness to the aid, but the moment I step into anything like math core ..dang..i hear every thing crashing feverishly..
I think I will go for the audeo PFE 232 and give it a shot . I know that joker rated the isolation for the PFE 232 at 3.5 on a scale of 5...just above average..hope the tips help out with that..
on a side note..i read many also recommend the W4s or the Heier 4ai for metal..wondering if you had a chance to listen to either of them and how you felt?..

Can't possibly imagine math or shoegaze or anything of the sort being pleasant on the EX1000. That treble...

They work best with shallow insertion so don't go too overboard with the tips.

do own the W4s (it's in my profile). They are nice enough for metal but compositions are presented a bit denser than I'd like so primarily enjoy alt/classic/drone/post-rock with those. One thing they do excel at is taking off the edge from harsher recordings.

The energy and bite around the upper mids aren't as forward with the Westones. But with the 4.Ai, it's barely there. They are nice but the UE900 ultimately does similar things and does it better.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #3,116 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for a bass heavy pair that doesn't isolate a whole lot and is under 30. no preference between IEMS or headphones. I want something light that stays on the head for running

Bassy, under 30 - MT300s, FX101, MH1C. 

For headphones, if you can stretch the budget, the PX100-II are the epitome of lightweight, running headphones. Nice, warm, smooth, bassy, and fun.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3,117 of 5,364
Quote:
Can't possibly imagine math or shoegaze or anything of the sort being pleasant on the EX1000. That treble...

They work best with shallow insertion so don't go too overboard with the tips.

do own the W4s (it's in my profile). They are nice enough for metal but compositions are presented a bit denser than I'd like so primarily enjoy alt/classic/drone/post-rock with those. One thing they do excel at is taking off the edge from harsher recordings.

The energy and bite around the upper mids aren't as forward with the Westones. But with the 4.Ai, it's barely there. They are nice but the UE900 ultimately does similar things and does it better.

Oh ok..after the energy I've experienced out of the EX 1000, I want the treble, but just smoother .
wrt the pfe 232, i stumbled upon a great deal , and felt I might consider it after all. At the steep price, its the trade offs that are more troublesome than the advantages. 
Hope the PFE 232 pays respect to my wallet in the end..:wink:

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #3,120 of 5,364

Users who are viewing this thread

Back