Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3,091 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the advice.
I have narrowed down my research for an IEM/headphone to 6 options now.
I can't quite make a choice.
I nowadays have a Phillips SHE9000, and although it isn't a high-end IEM, I'm pretty pleased with it, but I'm seeking to improve my experience. 
Actually, I'm kind of looking for a ''definitive'' headphone, one that is durable and I'd be happy with for a long time.
Again, I listen mostly to alternative rock, classic rock, hard rock and all other kinds of rock :p, jazz (I love it), classic (also important), electronic and some pop. I would prefer ''pure'' sounds.
The devices that I will be using the phones will be an iPod, Android device and mainly my computer.
Among these options, which would be the best for the money?

- Senheiser HD449 £69
- Phillips SHL5605BK/10 £50
- Thinksound MS01 £99 (ouch - way more expensive than the others, but is it really worth it?)
- VSONIC GR04 £40
- Klipsch Image X10 £99 (competing with the MS01 - which one?)
- Shure SE215 £75
(all amazon.co.uk prices)

Between these options, which one would you recommend? If possible, could say which of the £99 ones AND which of the cheaper ones?
Thank you very very much - I'm having a bad (and a great!) time choosing these phones.

~99 - MS01 in this case. The Thinksounds are so organic and pleasant for rock and jazz, the X10s are no slouch when it comes to smoothness and richness, but the MS01 are just "purer" in a sense.

Actually you could compromise with the SE215 anyways, mids are pushed backwards a bit but still lush and rich and all that good stuff.

Luckily have heard that particular Philips. Can't hold a candle to the GR04. Mids just don't have the detail to back it up. So for ~40, GR04. Actually the R-20s at that price are REALLY smooth and pleasantly forward.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #3,092 of 5,364
Thank you very much for the answer!
That has narrowed down the search for 3 phones now, and it's my turn to think and analyse now :)
Do you think that the MS01 would be worth the money, or the SE215 would be a better option? The GR04 is significantly inferior to both of them?
Thanks!

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #3,093 of 5,364
Quote:
Thank you very much for the answer!
That has narrowed down the search for 3 phones now, and it's my turn to think and analyse now :)
Do you think that the MS01 would be worth the money, or the SE215 would be a better option? The GR04 is significantly inferior to both of them?
Thanks!

It depends on what you want. Any one will do what you're looking for, it's how they render it all and which method you would prefer that matters in the end. Price is a funny thing and usually doesn't count for much. If a $40 IEM has a more favorable sig to you against a $100, then so be it. In this case the $40 has such a good price-to-performance ratio that you wouldn't lose out on much technicalities anyways. But just because it's cheaper and because people say it performs just as well does not mean the frugal route is being advocated here. The $30-50 difference could very well be worth it if the sig meshes well with you.

In the end, do you want a slight downwards slope-y sig with nice rich mids and good detail, an all-around balanced set, or a warm and bass-mid centric set? Will leave you to find that out for yourself.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #3,094 of 5,364
Hi everyone,
I currently own a pair of Bose AE2 headphones for over a year. I can give these phones a cred that they are the most comfortable on the head than any other I've tried. The sound is generally good, but IMO a bit lack of depth. Two main reasons I would like to switch them:
1. I would like to pass on to in-ears that will allow me to carry them any where I want.
2. Lack of volume (drive?)!! Most of my playlist consists classical music and I can barely hear silent phrases. I spend lots of hours in loud buses.
My budget is about up to 300$, the less the better. I was giving a look at the JVC fxz200 but I'm afraid they wont match my needs for the pretty penny they cost.
I'll kindly appreciate anyone's help!

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #3,095 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I currently own a pair of Bose AE2 headphones for over a year. I can give these phones a cred that they are the most comfortable on the head than any other I've tried. The sound is generally good, but IMO a bit lack of depth. Two main reasons I would like to switch them:
1. I would like to pass on to in-ears that will allow me to carry them any where I want.
2. Lack of volume (drive?)!! Most of my playlist consists classical music and I can barely hear silent phrases. I spend lots of hours in loud buses.
My budget is about up to 300$, the less the better. I was giving a look at the JVC fxz200 but I'm afraid they wont match my needs for the pretty penny they cost.
I'll kindly appreciate anyone's help!

Signature preferences? Would you want them to have a similar sig to the AE2? Build? Comfort? Sounds like you want a fair bit of isolation as well.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #3,097 of 5,364
Quote:
Don't care for sig, Yea isolation and comfort is very much important as I am out doors a lot.

So is sound generally being considered as criteria here? Are you looking for anything in terms of sound?

The reason I ask is that you could easily find a well isolating and comfortable IEM for pennies quite easily these days. You'll have to throw us a bone here and tell us something about the sort of sound you like/are looking for.

Otherwise it's a completely moot point. If the only criteria is to "sound good" and be under 300...well I'm not sure you'd appreciate me listing ~100 different IEMs because that just wouldn't be helpful at all. In order to get suggestions you sort of need proper criteria.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #3,098 of 5,364
So is sound generally being considered as criteria here? Are you looking for anything in terms of sound?

The reason I ask is that you could easily find a well isolating and comfortable IEM for pennies quite easily these days. You'll have to throw us a bone here and tell us something about the sort of sound you like/are looking for.

Otherwise it's a completely moot point. If the only criteria is to "sound good" and be under 300...well I'm not sure you'd appreciate me listing ~100 different IEMs because that just wouldn't be helpful at all. In order to get suggestions you sort of need proper criteria.

Sorry for not being specific, thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm a orchestral player and therefore 80% of my playlist consist orchestral music. I'd like the sound to be as real as it can be, and LOUD, for quiet music, that's why I've been looking at the JVC fxz200.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #3,099 of 5,364
Quote:
Sorry for not being specific, thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm a orchestral player and therefore 80% of my playlist consist orchestral music. I'd like the sound to be as real as it can be, and LOUD, for quiet music, that's why I've been looking at the JVC fxz200.

Proper timbre, good dynamic range? Sounds like the FXZ200s already. And they isolate okay (shells are a bit heavy and might not be the most comfortable but are fine for a good portion of owners). Sorry for only giving a confirmatory response on these, could expand if you'd like, but have only 4-5 hours of auditioning/listening time with them. Just outstanding timbre though. Bass could get very distracting for classical compositions though. And while they are still IEMs, the driver setup required a bit more juice to get volume out of them.

In comparison, something like the GR01 have even more finesse, realistic balance, and are very adept at separation. BAs are generally more sensitive (easier to drive) as well, and these are no exception. Very quiet listener here so take that with a grain of salt. Though haven't heard much complaints about these regarding power requirements.

The BA200s are yet another set with great timbre, LARGE stage, very immersive and dynamic sound. Extremely smooth as well. It's rich and realistic in many senses. Pre-included tips and ergonomics make these some of the most comfortable and well-isolating combinations I've tried to date. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #3,100 of 5,364
Thanks TwinQY! you are being very helpful.
I'll be looking into the GR04, MS01 and SE215 for me.

Now, I'm also looking for a headphone for my girlfriend! I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but here are the requests:
- It must be a headphone - she can't stand In-ears...
- Max value around £30
- She listens mostly pop, some rock and electronic
- She will use it on her android device and computer
- Would like a good isolation from external noises and no leakage

So, any ideas? Sorry if this isn't the thread to ask for headphones, I'm new around here and don't know quite well what goes where :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #3,101 of 5,364
Hi guys, I'm looking for a pair of super cheap in-ear headphones to replace my Sennheiser CX300s which have seen better days. I'm in the UK. I'm not too fussy, I just want a pair of decent-quality earplugs preferably for under £15, max £20. I'll primarily be using them while walking outdoors, so I'd like some sound isolation but not too much, with no leakage. I listen to mostly pop/rock and don't care too much for bass-heavy headphones. Think that's all. Thanks!

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #3,102 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks TwinQY! you are being very helpful.
I'll be looking into the GR04, MS01 and SE215 for me.

Now, I'm also looking for a headphone for my girlfriend! I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but here are the requests:
- It must be a headphone - she can't stand In-ears...
- Max value around £30
- She listens mostly pop, some rock and electronic
- She will use it on her android device and computer
- Would like a good isolation from external noises and no leakage

So, any ideas? Sorry if this isn't the thread to ask for headphones, I'm new around here and don't know quite well what goes where :)

Headphone questions are fine as long as they're being used for portable purpose or are of a portable nature. So nothing like open cans, desktop amps, etc.

Anyways, under 30, fun sounding, isolates...something like the K518LE which has ample enough clamp, great punchy bass, overall a pretty fun listen, would be a nice choice (they are commonly on sale, usually right under 30, though still worth the current 45 street price). In fact the much hyped HTF600s and S400s, while not the greatest at isolating (average), slots under that budget nicely, the former has a very consumer-eque, warm, pleasing sound, the latter more about the clarity and resolution but still bumped up a bit for purposes of enjoyment.

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm looking for a pair of super cheap in-ear headphones to replace my Sennheiser CX300s which have seen better days. I'm in the UK. I'm not too fussy, I just want a pair of decent-quality earplugs preferably for under £15, max £20. I'll primarily be using them while walking outdoors, so I'd like some sound isolation but not too much, with no leakage. I listen to mostly pop/rock and don't care too much for bass-heavy headphones. Think that's all. Thanks!

Balanced, isolates a bit, under 20, sounds like the GR99, M6.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #3,103 of 5,364
Looking for an IEM with a $100 budget.

I listen to most types of EDM, so base the suggestions around that.

I have considered the Klipsch x10's, but if there is something better I will go for that.

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,104 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for an IEM with a $100 budget.

I listen to most types of EDM, so base the suggestions around that.

I have considered the Klipsch x10's, but if there is something better I will go for that.

Thanks!

X10 would be fine for EDM. FXT90/D80/Z100s would work very nicely as well.

Any particular preference in sound/sound sigs? Comfort? Isolation? Build?

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #3,105 of 5,364
Quote:
X10 would be fine for EDM. FXT90/D80/Z100s would work very nicely as well.

Any particular preference in sound/sound sigs? Comfort? Isolation? Build?

Comfort would be a plus, but I might buy some comply tips as well... I have heard the build quality on the x10's is so-so, but I cant seem to shy away from them because they are so cheap! $90 for a 350~ iem seems too good to be true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back