Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #3,121 of 5,364
Hey everyone. I hate to be that guy, but I'm finding it hard to understand everything and soak all this information to find the IEMs that I would really enjoy. I've come here for suggestions, and I'm sorry if I sound arrogant or demanding. I come from no prior knowledge regarding headphones. I've checked out some of the stickied threads and have an idea of what IEMs I'd like.

I'm looking for an IEM that is similar to the HiFiMAN's RE0s which boast excellence in clarity and detail. Of course, I'd like to see what the hype is all about with the legendary RE0s, but unfortunately, it seems that they are no longer sold anymore. Perhaps they have been replaced or discontinued? I'm not sure. If anyone knows a website where I could get RE0s, that'd be stellar. However, if there are IEMs that are equal to or greater than the RE0s, that would be best. Oh, and they have to be within the price range of the RE0s as well. (50$ - $100~? I can't remember.)

Thanks in advance, guys. I don't mean to be rude, I just need guidance.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #3,122 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey everyone. I hate to be that guy, but I'm finding it hard to understand everything and soak all this information to find the IEMs that I would really enjoy. I've come here for suggestions, and I'm sorry if I sound arrogant or demanding. I come from no prior knowledge regarding headphones. I've checked out some of the stickied threads and have an idea of what IEMs I'd like.

I'm looking for an IEM that is similar to the HiFiMAN's RE0s which boast excellence in clarity and detail. Of course, I'd like to see what the hype is all about with the legendary RE0s, but unfortunately, it seems that they are no longer sold anymore. Perhaps they have been replaced or discontinued? I'm not sure. If anyone knows a website where I could get RE0s, that'd be stellar. However, if there are IEMs that are equal to or greater than the RE0s, that would be best. Oh, and they have to be within the price range of the RE0s as well. (50$ - $100~? I can't remember.)

Thanks in advance, guys. I don't mean to be rude, I just need guidance.

I didn't sense any rudeness at all :)

RE-400s are the successors to the RE0s and have been much praised as being an improvement throughout. The Sunrise Xcape were the competition at the time and both sound quite similar actually. 

Anyways, the current RE0s-soundalikes would be the A161P, HF5 (to an extent - not as sweet sounding), and maybe the VC02 although I have not heard that one personally.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,124 of 5,364
I'm looking for some new iem's. previously I've only owned apple buds and jlab j5ms so I think anything will be an upgrade. I just canceled my order for s4i 2's after finding this forum. I ride a motorcycle with short unbaffeled pipes so my main concern is superior isolation and comfort. My budget is around $100. I listen to country rap rock but like I said I'm not jaded by superior sound quality but I want the best bang for the buck. I would prefer inline control for my iPhone 5 and something with a lower profile since I will be wearing a full face helmet. Not amped. Any help would be appreciated, I'm in way over my head. Thanks. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #3,125 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm worried that those isolate to much

The TDKs?
Yeah, they don't isolate that much. So no worries.

Quote:
I'm looking for some new iem's. previously I've only owned apple buds and jlab j5ms so I think anything will be an upgrade. I just canceled my order for s4i 2's after finding this forum. I ride a motorcycle with short unbaffeled pipes so my main concern is superior isolation and comfort. My budget is around $100. I listen to country rap rock but like I said I'm not jaded by superior sound quality but I want the best bang for the buck. I would prefer inline control for my iPhone 5 and something with a lower profile since I will be wearing a full face helmet. Not amped. Any help would be appreciated, I'm in way over my head. Thanks. 

HF3 - remote/controls for phone, deep insertion, probably some of, if not, the best isolation on an IEM, Complys will make them magically comfy. Right at the $100 mark. A bit flat and analytical though, so if that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, the A161P are less offensive in that area (not that the Etys are peaky in any way).

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,126 of 5,364
Quote:
HF3 - remote/controls for phone, deep insertion, probably some of, if not, the best isolation on an IEM, Complys will make them magically comfy. Right at the $100 mark. A bit flat and analytical though, so if that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, the A161P are less offensive in that area (not that the Etys are peaky in any way).

I do like the etys but I can only find them for around $170. Unless you meant the a161p were $100?

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,127 of 5,364
Mar 10, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #3,128 of 5,364
My Klipsch S4 headphones just died tonight, so I'm now in the market for a new pair.

So far I have my eye on a few, the Klipsch Image S4i, HiFiMAN RE-400, Panasonic RPHJE120R, or Sennheiser CX 300-II.

I care about the quality of the sound a lot, and would like any advise as to what my next pair could be.

My budget is under $100, and the cheaper the better.

I would be happy to provide any further information needed.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #3,129 of 5,364
Quote:
My Klipsch S4 headphones just died tonight, so I'm not in the market for a new pair.

So far I have my eye on a few, the Klipsch Image S4i, HiFiMAN RE-400, Panasonic RPHJE120R, or Sennheiser CX 300-II.

I care about the quality of the sound a lot, and would like any advise as to what my next pair could be.

My budget is under $100, and the cheaper the better.

Sound preferences, genres preferred, comfort, isolation, build?

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #3,130 of 5,364
Thanks for the reply.

I prefer to have a more "pure" sound, no overpowering base.

I listen to almost everything, dubstep, rap, classical music, rock.

I'm not sure what you mean by comfort, I enjoyed how the S4 had an oval shape, but before that I had a pair that had a circular shape and that felt alright too.

I do prefer isolation, but I'm willing to sacrifice isolation for the quality of sound if need be.

What do you mean by "build"? I prefer in-ear headphones that do not wrap around the ear.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #3,131 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I prefer to have a more "pure" sound, no overpowering base.

I listen to almost everything, dubstep, rap, classical music, rock.

I'm not sure what you mean by comfort, I enjoyed how the S4 had an oval shape, but before that I had a pair that had a circular shape and that felt alright too.

I do prefer isolation, but I'm willing to sacrifice isolation for the quality of sound if need be.

What do you mean by "build"? I prefer in-ear headphones that do not wrap around the ear.

Build = build quality
comfort = how ergonomic the shells are, how they handle in regards to fit

Anyways, ~100, clean, clear, does everything well - HF5, A161P, R-50s.

The RE-400 thread members would definitely describe the IEMs as being such. Not having heard them though. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #3,132 of 5,364
build: I'm not as concerned about the build quality, I will not be abusing them
comfort: I want the fit to be good, because I listen to music/audio for hours on end.

The models that you posted seem to be above $100, should I be raising my price range to get a good pair of headphones, or are there other quality options?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #3,133 of 5,364
Quote:
build: I'm not as concerned about the build quality, I will not be abusing them
comfort: I want the fit to be good, because I listen to music/audio for hours on end.

The models that you posted seem to be above $100, should I be raising my price range to get a good pair of headphones, or are there other quality options?

Thanks in advance.

? They are right at 100.
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Noise-Canceling-Headphones-Balanced-Technology/dp/B0083E5GUE
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B000XP8DJC/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #3,134 of 5,364
Your right, my mistake.

Just so I have some more to compare, how about in the  $50 range?

Are the Sennheiser CX 300-II or Klipsch Image S4i good options?

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #3,135 of 5,364
Quote:
Your right, my mistake.

Just so I have some more to compare, how about in the  $50 range?

Are the Sennheiser CX 300-II or Klipsch Image S4i good options?

There is no comparison. Not only are they not in them same league, they themselves are not very competitive with those in the same price bracket. 

People generally cite the VC02 as being a good RE0 alternative, have no experience with that but might want to take a look anyways. R-30s are slightly above that range and do what is asked quite nicely as well. If there was a choice would still spring for the R-50s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back