Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #3,061 of 5,364
M-80 vs m-100 vs mdr 1r vs momentum

It's a showdown between these three. Lately, I've made a few threads involving portable cans but I haven't gotten any really good answers (or simply just answers).

It seems like the mdr 1r is the best for stuff like JRock/Pop, R&B, and Hip Hop, but the m-80s are much cheaper and seem to sound very similar.

I have the citiscape uptown and was somewhat impressed by the akg k167 and dt770s sound but not enough.

My source is a galaxy player 5 and fiio e6 (sadly).

Thanks in advance!

bump

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #3,062 of 5,364
Hello guys,

I am in the market for a new pair of in ears for under $200. 95% of my music consists of classical, so I need something that has excellent detail and soundstage.
Also, I enjoy headphones that have slightly reduced bass.
Currently my top 3 choices are the Westone 2, V Sonic GR07, and Rock-it-Sound R-50.
Has anyone heard all 3 and can give me a comparison between them.
Thanks.

FYI and I would them to be easily driven by my Iphone 5.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #3,063 of 5,364
I need a bit of advice on what earphones to get. I've currently got a pair of klipsch x10i earphones but I'm getting a refund on them. I love their size, they feel great in my ears but the build quality is awful!

I've got up to £170 to spend on a new pair. I'd like some earphones that are a bit more hard wearing, nothing too big as my lugholes are small. Would be nice if they have a microphone and controls for my iphone, but not essential.

Any suggestions?

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #3,065 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote;
Balanced, comfy, durable - Would say the GR04/02 (if a little more kick is need go for the latter). Build is better than it looks on photos. Could also spring for a R-30, those fit requirements pretty well.

I would have gone ahead with those but as I stated earlier I require a remote and microphone for use as a headset with a phone. Any thoughts on the NE 600M?

Whoops, didn't notice that.
Ever look at the MH1C? Hits right above the price it's slotted at. Great mid-treble balance and the bass can be toned down apparently with mods (have only tried EQ on them though). Only one that comes to mind that are semi-decent and have mic/remote capability (the Nuforce were nice but a bit mediocre compared to some stuff, the V-Modas were absolutely horrid)
Quote:
Well then , after doing some research I find myself still wondering what kind of IEM would be right for me. I just get lost in the world of all of these different headphones and although I get that no one can decide what my preference is, I am still asking for advice. 
Let me describe a few points so you may be able to help me. 

I live in the Netherlands, in Utrecht to be exact, which is a moderately big city, so while cycling, I get surrounded by alot of different sounds. My previous IEM were Sennheiser CX300-II which I liked because of my musical preference:

I tend to listen to more bass oriented music, like house, electro, techno (so in general; Bingo Players, Carl Cox, David Guetta, Afrojack, Avicii) , but sometimes oldies like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones too. I enjoy deep bass sounds, but I don' want it to spoil the rest of the music, while listening to RHCP for example. 
I have a budget of around 45 Euros, so I'd say ~60 US $. 
I've already searched the forums, and I've already found some good ones (I think):

VSonic VC02
Brainwavz M5
VSonic GR02 Bass Edition
Astrotec AM-90

SoundMAGIC E10, E30, EH11 and P30
Sennheiser CX400-II
JVC-HA-FX80

Best thing for me would be something that covers a wide array electronic type muscial styles e.a. trance, techno, deep house, latin house etc.

If you could give me some advice, or maybe some other headphones for me to research, thad would be just great! 

edit:

only saw just now that there is some kind of list for these things:

Current: Sennheiser CX300-II

Budget: about 45 Euro (50-60 US $)
Music: House, techno, electro, harddance, every kind of dance oriented music with lots hard beats (example: Rattle, Toulouse, EpiC, Silhouettes), in lesser numbers oldies like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Santana. Focus lies on the first list.
Sound signature: Not sure what the right glossary is, but I enjoy deep bass sounds, although I dont want it to 'soften' the vocals. I think the right term is wide (?), rich, and most of all not flat. Also, prefer Bassy and something with at least a hint of a good body (obviously not really the deal within this price range). 
All in all, prefer to have a budget sound with something Warm

Source: HTC One S (like the One X, with Beats software)
Usage: Cycling trough a busy city, average day school, maybe homework. Short listening periods mostly.
Must-haves: Some isolation at least. Preferably a warm and/or bassy sound. Warm is more important over bassy though.

Still think my original description is better, but hey it is something :)

You could follow whatever format you wish as long as the info is still there 
wink.gif

MH1C, really similar to what you're describing at the moment. Would cross the Soundmagics, JVCs, out. GR02 Bass would also fit quite nicely, between the Sonys and VSonics, the VSonics are less boomy and more visceral but don't have a nice of mids-treble as the MH1C. M2 could also work and they isolate just as well as the GR02, which is to say plenty.

Quote:

Update is on mega-post-soon-to-be-posted. Sorry about that :frowning2:

Quote:
Hello guys,

I am in the market for a new pair of in ears for under $200. 95% of my music consists of classical, so I need something that has excellent detail and soundstage.
Currently my top 3 choices are the Westone 2, V Sonic GR07, and Rock-it-Sound R-50.
Thanks.

Not a direct comparison, but have owned each of them one time or another.
GR07: Textured with plenty of mid-bass, great kick, really dynamic, warm mids with decent detail and timbre, treble goes off to be a bit strident at first then sloops downwards. Big stage for an IEM, great imaging. People say it's clinical but obviously it's too warm for that. Just that in the technicalities do they excel.
W2: Sweet, tight soft bass notes, balanced overall. Great smooth mids, almost a leaner W4/SM3 love child in that respect. Staging size is coherent and focused, rounded off nicely.
R-50: Really lean and punchy, sig is basically a slight-upwards slope sort of detail, except not as anemic as say the DBA-02/B2s. Loads of clarity, detail is on par with the GR07s but they lay it out more openly. Stage is decent sized.

Why not consider the GR01 as well?

Quote:
I need a bit of advice on what earphones to get. I've currently got a pair of klipsch x10i earphones but I'm getting a refund on them. I love their size, they feel great in my ears but the build quality is awful!

I've got up to £170 to spend on a new pair. I'd like some earphones that are a bit more hard wearing, nothing too big as my lugholes are small. Would be nice if they have a microphone and controls for my iphone, but not essential.

Any suggestions?

PFE122? Small-size fit, decent build (relatively).
Would be helpful if you stated sound/genre preferences as well since mic/remote is not essential/limiting.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #3,067 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks.

For classical, definitely have a look at the Ortofon eq-5. Weighty notes with piano, very easy to drive and excellent timbre + speed. Plus, they don't get bassy when the track doesn't call for it, but are not as clinical as say the RE-0 (or the R-50 from what I've heard about it). I know that you mentioned slightly reduced bass, but don't let the reviews of the eq-5 put you off; these are not bassy IEMs (though they respond well to EQ). They are, however, a bit more natural in bass to me. Soundstage is excellent; compared to the Sennheiser IE7 (which has a huge soundstage), it is considerably more accurate though slightly less wide. Still very wide though. They can be had for 198 USD from Musica Acoustics, including international shipping.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #3,068 of 5,364
I recently tried the two ATH's in store, and I briefly owned the HD218 (IIRC it's almost identical to the 218, virtually just a name change).

Out of all 3, the Sennheiser have the best comfort. Then there's a mod for that series on head-fi that you can do if you feel it's too muffled and want the sound to open up: The foam in the earpads come with a center portion cut out but not removed. Just remove it.

Both the SJ11 and ON303 sounded fine (as in no issues), but my (modded) 218 was more impressive and musical. On my relatively larger head, both cups on the ON303 have a tendency to rotate sideways around their axis, as though they're spring-loaded, that kinda ruined what is otherwise a sleek and comfy design.

At the prices available to me, the 218 cost 50% more than either ATH model.

I've come to learn that demo units vary wildly in their condition and sound, so YMMV. :)

Well, HD 219 also cost almost 50% more than those two in my place. But I'm also interested with that. If HD 219 can give me more comfort and performance then I'm gonna saved for that :)
Or maybe there's another alternative I can consider in that price range? With comfort and portability consider.

Btw thank you so much for answering! :D

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #3,069 of 5,364
hey all!
looking to spend up too 250 on a pair of goof iems.
i listen mostly too rock and metal but when studying sometimes country and classical.
comfort is a must as i use for long periods studying!
have looked at se425 and etymonic hf3s. what do people suggest around the $200 mark?
thamks in advance!

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3,070 of 5,364
i need help. Should I get the vsonic gro2's or a pack of 3 IEM's? The three IEM's are the vsonic gr02's, the Monoprice 8320's, and the JVC HAFX40B's. Which one of these is the longest lasting, and can withstand everyday commute?

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #3,071 of 5,364
Hi, all. I'm new here (new to this whole thing, pretty much), so please go easy on me.

I have a Sony Walkman S series, and I'd like some new headphones. I've had a pair of Sony Bumpin' Buds for years, and I have no idea if those are considered decent or laughably horrible, but they did OK with me for the time I had them.

I listen to a mess of different music - classical (mostly Baroque-era and earlier, but including opera and choral work), vocal-centric ballads/soft rock, smooth jazz, symphonic pop/rock/metal, 80s second wave goth/post-punk, synthpop, EBM, ambient, neo-swing/cabaret, folk/traditional "world" music, videogame soundtracks, and trance (often psychedelic) being my main genres. My favorite band is an orchestral rock opera project which includes everything from dramatic narration and the sound of turning pages to sword clashes, galloping horses, screams and other sounds of battle, all of which would be nice to hear clearly. But since I'm new to this, and on a budget, I'm not ready to have a several specialized sets, but rather one decent, jack-of-all-trades, all-round pair. I don't want anything harsh, distorted or tiring on the ears, but I would like to avoid flat, muddy, one-dimensional sound, too. Something well rounded and clear, and rather accessible for someone just getting into the audiophile world would suit me just fine. I do like to take my music for walks, and I listen while cleaning house, too, but I can't stand over-the-ear models. I had a pair a long time ago with really loud cable noise, and I'd like to avoid that if possible. Other than that, I have no idea at all. As I said, I'm a n00b. The more I read, the more confused I get.

I cannot afford much, $50 is my current maximum, but I'd prefer to keep it a bit less. I know that's asking a lot. I don't mind suggestions for slightly higher priced ones, as I can save up, but it would have to be pretty amazing since I'm on a limited budget (plus I have a cat with an oral fixation who would like nothing more than to sink his teeth into a high-end pair of wires.)

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #3,074 of 5,364
Quote:
Whoops, didn't notice that.
Ever look at the MH1C? Hits right above the price it's slotted at. Great mid-treble balance and the bass can be toned down apparently with mods (have only tried EQ on them though). Only one that comes to mind that are semi-decent and have mic/remote capability (the Nuforce were nice but a bit mediocre compared to some stuff, the V-Modas were absolutely horrid)
You could follow whatever format you wish as long as the info is still there 
wink.gif

MH1C, really similar to what you're describing at the moment. Would cross the Soundmagics, JVCs, out. GR02 Bass would also fit quite nicely, between the Sonys and VSonics, the VSonics are less boomy and more visceral but don't have a nice of mids-treble as the MH1C. M2 could also work and they isolate just as well as the GR02, which is to say plenty.

Went to a post about the VSonic GR02 and GR06, the opinions were quite different, some liked the cheaper ones and said there was a noticable change in the mid region. Haven't listned to either one sadly, so again I ask you the same question if you don't mind. Are the ones I alreaedy mentioned and the GR06 so much different in quality or in fact, which one would be the better pick?

I am not sure what musical style I listen to most, but I do enjoy this one particular song which, I believe, resembles a great deal of my music library.
Atom ~ Nari & Milani

If any of you owns or has listned to one of these IEM, could you listen to this song please and revise your oiginal opinion of what would possibly suit me best? 

Thank you, I already like this site way too much! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back