Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #3,031 of 5,364
Quote:
So, nobody got an idea?
frown.gif

Sorry mate, I don't have any audition experience with any CIEM, there is a thread here dedicated to CIEM, sorry...

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #3,032 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello I have some AKG K318 in-ears but don't like them much, my full-size HD668b sounds a way better, so I would like to know :

- if full-size headphones are a way better than in-ear ones,
- if not : with what in-ears would I hear a much better sound quality, I listen mostly electronic music but like also vocals so I am looking for a versatile headphone, I also don't to spend 300$ for an headphone, lets say between 100 and 200$

Thank you !

1. Not necessarily, there are IEM's that sounds as good as, if not better, than full cans, it depends on what cans and what IEM's are being compared...
  2. Something that's good for EDM, have a look at T-Peos H-100, Westone 3, UE TF10, Heir Audio 3.Ai, Klipsch X10, and also, I don't have a lot of experience on full cans, as I prefer IEM, but the ones I have which are excellent for EDM's are Sennheiser HD25 (the best), and Fischer Audio FA-011

Have a read on the above and that would give you a starting point

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #3,034 of 5,364
Hi guys. I'm looking to buy my first pair of IEM's and someone pushed me in the direction of this forum. I've got to say, I can't believe how many pairs of headphones some of you have owned!

Problem is, the more I research, the more indecisive I get. I'm not an audiophile by any means but want something better than  run of the mill headphones.

Another problem is that I'm not sure exactly what sound signiture i want.

Somethings I am certain of,

1) budget is about £50 (i think about $80).

2) Source is an iphone or android equivalent. No intention of getting an amp

3) They will be replacing a pair of Sennheiser mx400 ear buds(which sounded pretty good to my ears)

4) it will be used for walking about and commuting (so i want to block noise but not total isolation - still want to be aware of surroundings)

5) I wear glasses, so can wear over the ear but definately can't use ear hooks

6) i need a good alrounder as i listen to all sorts of music from classical to acoustic like simon and garfunkel, beatles,indie,rock, pink floyd and a fair bit of house and trance.

The only music i don't listen to is hip hop, dubstep and modern pop so i don't need a bass monster.  i don't want bass overpowering the sound, but don't want a tinny sound and need enough bass  to to enjoy dance music. On the other hand, pink floyd's my favourite band so i want something to make those guitars sing!

I don't really understand the conept of soundstage but i listen to quite alot of live stuff so i guess a big sounstage would be nice.

i've narrowed it down to

Brainwavz m2
Brainwavz m3
Brainwavz m4
Soundmagic e30

In the uk all of these are available for pretty much the same price, so comparative value is not an issue.

I'm leaning towards either the Brainwavz M3 or Sounmagic e30.

Can anyone who has listened to these tell my if they're suitable?

I know from my rambling post it sounds like i want the perfect earphones but the choice is overwhelming!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #3,035 of 5,364
I am willing to buy a in ear style earphone... Previously i had soundmagic pl13, pl11, pl21, creative ep 630, ep600, soundmagic es18 and sennheiser pmx 60. Now i am getting borred of all of dat...because these all was the entry level earphone..i am just confused in between soundmagic e10, sennheiser cx300 and philips shs8000. And now about what i listen... I usually listen to every genre. i like more detailed earphone rather than bass oriented earphone because more bass always dominates the highs and mids. So please help me about whats

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #3,036 of 5,364
I am willing to buy a in ear style earphone... Previously i had soundmagic pl13, pl11, pl21, creative ep 630, ep600, soundmagic es18 and sennheiser pmx 60. Now i am getting borred of all of dat...because these all was the entry level earphone..i am just confused in between soundmagic e10, sennheiser cx300 and philips shs8000. And now about what i listen... I usually listen to every genre. i like more detailed earphone rather than bass oriented earphone because more bass always dominates the highs and mids. So please help me about whatsould i buy.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #3,037 of 5,364
Quote:
I am willing to buy a in ear style earphone... Previously i had soundmagic pl13, pl11, pl21, creative ep 630, ep600, soundmagic es18 and sennheiser pmx 60. Now i am getting borred of all of dat...because these all was the entry level earphone..i am just confused in between soundmagic e10, sennheiser cx300 and philips shs8000. And now about what i listen... I usually listen to every genre. i like more detailed earphone rather than bass oriented earphone because more bass always dominates the highs and mids. So please help me about whatsould i buy.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, there's the Sennheiser IE80- pretty good imaging, bass, detail. But if you really want detail and clarity (and not a basshead) the Fitear F111 is very good. However, it costs upwards of $500 at Musica, Alo or Pricejapan.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,038 of 5,364
Hello all!
This is my first post here at Head-Fi. Some of you guys have a lot of knowledge about headphones, really impressive.

I am looking for an in-ear or headphone, doesn't matter. I would like recommendations about both types.
My budget is a little tight, I'm willing to spend at maximum £80,00. 
I listen mainly to alternative rock, classic rock, jazz, classical and some pop and electronic. 
I intend to use it mainly on my iPod, Android device and computer. 

Thank you very much in advance!

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #3,039 of 5,364
[size=10pt]Hey everybody this is my first post, so if you think 'm on the wrong thread, or that I don't know what I'm talking about, please let me know. Thanks![/size]

[size=10pt]So I'm really interested in getting a long-term pair of headphones after a depressing line of Apple earbuds, $5 Big-Lots in-ear headphones, a pair of bottom-line Koss buds, 2 pairs of Ink'd buds, a pair of iFrogz Ozone w/ mic buds, and probably a couple of other pairs of headphones that I've forgotten, I'm getting tired of throwing away my money, and I have developed a minor hatred for in ear headphones.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ideally I would like (ranked by importance on a scale of 1-10, 1 being more important & 10 being less important)[/size]
[size=10pt]1.DURABLE[/size]
[size=10pt]2.Portable[/size]
[size=10pt]3.Comfortable (I don't have a weird shaped head or anything)[/size]
[size=10pt]3.Good sound for both metal/dubstep* and gaming[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Compatible with Xbox/PC (thoughts on adapters?)[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Gaming/general purpose mic (detachable or stowable)[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Somewhat isolating (so probably closed headphones)[/size]
[size=10pt]5.Possible use with a mobile amp (thoughts?)[/size]
[size=10pt]7.Aesthetics (i know its kinda superficial)[/size]

[size=10pt]*I also listen to a variety of other genres including soundtrack, spoken word (podcasts, youtube vids, etc.), a tiny bit of bluegrass (stuff like Nickle Creek and Mark Kroos), and a healthy dose of alt and punk, but NOT including rap, pop, or hip-hop. I listed metal and dubstep both because they represent the majority of what I listen to and because I'm believe they would be the most technically demanding of my audio intake.[/size]

[size=10pt]I'm really looking for some general feedback on what price range I would be looking at (I don't have a lot of cash but I'm looking into getting a job soon), or if headphones fitting this description even exist. Should I try to get an all in on deal, or should I get some durable headphones for on the go and some better sounding but possibly less sturdy headphones at home? I don't know much at all about sound cards so if its relevant any info on that subject would be appreciated as well.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks again![/size]

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3,040 of 5,364
I am deaf in my left ear due to meningitis from when I was a child.  There is total nerve deafness so nothing short of a cochlear implant will help, but as I can hear in my right ear, it will not be approved by my insurance company.  For my ipod I am using the IBud Angle-Fit Right Earphone ($25.95) and it is pretty good in bringing the left and right side music together in one ear.  I am on the verge of ordering the Sensophonic  221 Single Ear Stereo  Earphone for $450.00.  You need a mold taken of your ear by a audiologist ($30.00).  This has got me excited to see what it will sound like.   I use my IPod daily when I exercise so it will get a lot of use.  I have not seen anyone who has bought this anywhere because of the price. I know, ot os expensive but since I am retired and got some extra money, why not?  You only live once!  After I get this I will post a review here to let people know if ti is worth the money! 

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #3,041 of 5,364
Hi! I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs, but I'm having a lot of trouble choosing, so I was hoping someone with more experience could help @_@ I don't know exactly what terms to use but I'll do my best. I'm hoping to stay under ~$125 (including shipping to Canada).

I listen mainly to vocal electronic music (happy hardcore/trance/house/etc); bass is fairly important, but it doesn't need to be overpowering. I'd like a nice sound for piano as well. Isolation isn't a huge deal to me - it's always nice but I can deal if it's sub-par. I've never had any particular issues with comfort or fit in the past. I'll be listening mainly from an iPod Touch 4G. I would prefer something slightly more durable, just so I can wrap them up and put them in my pocket without worrying too much. Ideally the cord would hang down rather than going over the ear, and there would be a remote on the cord, but that might be too much to ask, haha.

I've been considering the Shure SE215, Yamaha EPH-100, or Klipsch Image x10, but I'm unsure. Any ideas?

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3,042 of 5,364
Hey guys!
I need some help in getting a new pair of IEMs and I really need them to last at least a couple years.
Earphones I've owned before are- Nuforce NE 700M and V-Moda Remix.
I want to spend well under 70 dollars and under 50 if possible.
I need a remote and mic for my phone as I regularly will use it as a phone handsfree.
Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #3,043 of 5,364
So I finally found someplace with internet, but only have an hour so this will be short and sweet.
Quote:
Hello I have some AKG K318 in-ears but don't like them much, my full-size HD668b sounds a way better, so I would like to know :

- if full-size headphones are a way better than in-ear ones,
- if not : with what in-ears would I hear a much better sound quality, I listen mostly electronic music but like also vocals so I am looking for a versatile headphone, I also don't to spend 300$ for an headphone, lets say between 100 and 200$

Thank you !

Full-sized: would look at the HP700, DJ100, COP if strictly for electronic. HD25-1 if the budget could be stretched. Maybe the LP2 if you don't mind a warmer sound, and the Uptowns definitely if vocals are a concern.
IEMs: FXZ100. That's it. Look no further.

Quote:
They are a little over the budget though :S
What about the VSonic GR06, would they fit my needs?

More mid-centric than anything else really. Would look at the GR04 if that's the route you're going. Would also recommend looking at the VC02, but have not heard that one personally so take with a grain of salt (and some heavy self-research). 

Don't want to sound pushy, but honestly at this price point it probably is not going to get more balanced than the PFE022. Would highly suggest just looking at stretching that budget. Forgive me for being presumptuous or out of line. 
Quote:

Sorry mate, I don't have any audition experience with any CIEM, there is a thread here dedicated to CIEM, sorry...

Also sorry about this guys. Only brief demos with demo units/putting silicone tips on actual units here. Not in a position to give recommendations for customs. Sorry again.
:frowning2:

Quote:
Hi guys. I'm looking to buy my first pair of IEM's and someone pushed me in the direction of this forum. I've got to say, I can't believe how many pairs of headphones some of you have owned!

Problem is, the more I research, the more indecisive I get. I'm not an audiophile by any means but want something better than  run of the mill headphones.

Another problem is that I'm not sure exactly what sound signiture i want.

Somethings I am certain of,

1) budget is about £50 (i think about $80).

2) Source is an iphone or android equivalent. No intention of getting an amp

3) They will be replacing a pair of Sennheiser mx400 ear buds(which sounded pretty good to my ears)

4) it will be used for walking about and commuting (so i want to block noise but not total isolation - still want to be aware of surroundings)

5) I wear glasses, so can wear over the ear but definately can't use ear hooks

6) i need a good alrounder as i listen to all sorts of music from classical to acoustic like simon and garfunkel, beatles,indie,rock, pink floyd and a fair bit of house and trance.

The only music i don't listen to is hip hop, dubstep and modern pop so i don't need a bass monster.  i don't want bass overpowering the sound, but don't want a tinny sound and need enough bass  to to enjoy dance music. On the other hand, pink floyd's my favourite band so i want something to make those guitars sing!

I don't really understand the conept of soundstage but i listen to quite alot of live stuff so i guess a big sounstage would be nice.

i've narrowed it down to

Brainwavz m2
Brainwavz m3
Brainwavz m4
Soundmagic e30

In the uk all of these are available for pretty much the same price, so comparative value is not an issue.

I'm leaning towards either the Brainwavz M3 or Sounmagic e30.

Can anyone who has listened to these tell my if they're suitable?

I know from my rambling post it sounds like i want the perfect earphones but the choice is overwhelming!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I think, looking at the criteria, that the E30 is a cinch. You'd be fine with those already. Immense all-rounder. Could look at the VC02/GR04 suggested a few quotes above, but really the E30 would be fine. Would skip the M3 entirely, but that's just me.

Quote:
I am willing to buy a in ear style earphone... Previously i had soundmagic pl13, pl11, pl21, creative ep 630, ep600, soundmagic es18 and sennheiser pmx 60. Now i am getting borred of all of dat...because these all was the entry level earphone..i am just confused in between soundmagic e10, sennheiser cx300 and philips shs8000. And now about what i listen... I usually listen to every genre. i like more detailed earphone rather than bass oriented earphone because more bass always dominates the highs and mids. So please help me about whats

Budget? Comfort? Isolation? Build? (in case you might want to look at anything else)
The E10 would fit the all-rounder, less bass-oriented criteria above quite nicely.

Quote:
Hello all!
This is my first post here at Head-Fi. Some of you guys have a lot of knowledge about headphones, really impressive.

I am looking for an in-ear or headphone, doesn't matter. I would like recommendations about both types.
My budget is a little tight, I'm willing to spend at maximum £80,00. 
I listen mainly to alternative rock, classic rock, jazz, classical and some pop and electronic. 
I intend to use it mainly on my iPod, Android device and computer. 

Thank you very much in advance!

Welcome and forgive me for what I'm about to do with your wallet. For the genres above the MS01 hit real nicely. Nice tight bass, good warmth, just a pleasure to listen to for stuff like that. Would go GR04 if that doesn't seem like a fit, another slightly warm but ultimately balanced IEM.

In terms of actual headphones, Downtowns or the HD429/449 would do fine.

Quote:
[size=10pt]Hey everybody this is my first post, so if you think 'm on the wrong thread, or that I don't know what I'm talking about, please let me know. Thanks![/size]

[size=10pt]So I'm really interested in getting a long-term pair of headphones after a depressing line of Apple earbuds, $5 Big-Lots in-ear headphones, a pair of bottom-line Koss buds, 2 pairs of Ink'd buds, a pair of iFrogz Ozone w/ mic buds, and probably a couple of other pairs of headphones that I've forgotten, I'm getting tired of throwing away my money, and I have developed a minor hatred for in ear headphones.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ideally I would like (ranked by importance on a scale of 1-10, 1 being more important & 10 being less important)[/size]
[size=10pt]1.DURABLE[/size]
[size=10pt]2.Portable[/size]
[size=10pt]3.Comfortable (I don't have a weird shaped head or anything)[/size]
[size=10pt]3.Good sound for both metal/dubstep* and gaming[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Compatible with Xbox/PC (thoughts on adapters?)[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Gaming/general purpose mic (detachable or stowable)[/size]
[size=10pt]4.Somewhat isolating (so probably closed headphones)[/size]
[size=10pt]5.Possible use with a mobile amp (thoughts?)[/size]
[size=10pt]7.Aesthetics (i know its kinda superficial)[/size]

[size=10pt]*I also listen to a variety of other genres including soundtrack, spoken word (podcasts, youtube vids, etc.), a tiny bit of bluegrass (stuff like Nickle Creek and Mark Kroos), and a healthy dose of alt and punk, but NOT including rap, pop, or hip-hop. I listed metal and dubstep both because they represent the majority of what I listen to and because I'm believe they would be the most technically demanding of my audio intake.[/size]

[size=10pt]I'm really looking for some general feedback on what price range I would be looking at (I don't have a lot of cash but I'm looking into getting a job soon), or if headphones fitting this description even exist. Should I try to get an all in on deal, or should I get some durable headphones for on the go and some better sounding but possibly less sturdy headphones at home? I don't know much at all about sound cards so if its relevant any info on that subject would be appreciated as well.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks again![/size]

Gaming-wise, might want to go to the full-sized recommendations thread or MLE's gaming thread. Make sure to include a budget for them as well. 

Quote:
I am deaf in my left ear due to meningitis from when I was a child.  There is total nerve deafness so nothing short of a cochlear implant will help, but as I can hear in my right ear, it will not be approved by my insurance company.  For my ipod I am using the IBud Angle-Fit Right Earphone ($25.95) and it is pretty good in bringing the left and right side music together in one ear.  I am on the verge of ordering the Sensophonic  221 Single Ear Stereo  Earphone for $450.00.  You need a mold taken of your ear by a audiologist ($30.00).  This has got me excited to see what it will sound like.   I use my IPod daily when I exercise so it will get a lot of use.  I have not seen anyone who has bought this anywhere because of the price. I know, ot os expensive but since I am retired and got some extra money, why not?  You only live once!  After I get this I will post a review here to let people know if ti is worth the money! 

My most sincere condolences in regards to your condition. Many a family member here has suffered similar conditions but most likely none have been as severe as yours. The Sensophonics get good rep for comfort from the threads here. Truly hope you enjoy them.

Quote:
Hi! I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs, but I'm having a lot of trouble choosing, so I was hoping someone with more experience could help @_@ I don't know exactly what terms to use but I'll do my best. I'm hoping to stay under ~$125 (including shipping to Canada).

I listen mainly to vocal electronic music (happy hardcore/trance/house/etc); bass is fairly important, but it doesn't need to be overpowering. I'd like a nice sound for piano as well. Isolation isn't a huge deal to me - it's always nice but I can deal if it's sub-par. I've never had any particular issues with comfort or fit in the past. I'll be listening mainly from an iPod Touch 4G. I would prefer something slightly more durable, just so I can wrap them up and put them in my pocket without worrying too much. Ideally the cord would hang down rather than going over the ear, and there would be a remote on the cord, but that might be too much to ask, haha.

I've been considering the Shure SE215, Yamaha EPH-100, or Klipsch Image x10, but I'm unsure. Any ideas?

SE215 are more of a guitar/rock tonality. Timbre is slightly off for keyboards. The other two are iffy especially if you don't want them to be overpowering in the bass. Would have gone with a FXT90, they still stock them locally at Future Shop (ignore the website).

Hey guys!
I need some help in getting a new pair of IEMs and I really need them to last at least a couple years.
Earphones I've owned before are- Nuforce NE 700M and V-Moda Remix.
I want to spend well under 70 dollars and under 50 if possible.
I need a remote and mic for my phone as I regularly will use it as a phone handsfree.
Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Genres, comfort, isolation, build, etc, etc. Also sound preferences would be helpful.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,044 of 5,364
Quote:
SE215 are more of a guitar/rock tonality. Timbre is slightly off for keyboards. The other two are iffy especially if you don't want them to be overpowering in the bass. Would have gone with a FXT90, they still stock them locally at Future Shop (ignore the website).

Oh, strong bass is perfectly fine, it's just not my main focus. I will look into those, though. Thank you for the reply!

Edit: oh dang the FXT90s are on sale at Future Shop for $70. Nice~

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #3,045 of 5,364
I've been researching what IEMs to get and am just confusing myself further all the time, so I thought I'd seek input.

Current: Sony MDR-EX58Vs ($25 at Best Buy)
Budget: ~$150 (Must be available on Amazon!)
Music: Dubstep, house, dark electro, aggrotech (there are other styles in my library, but those are the main ones for IEM purposes)
Sound signature: I know there are better sounding IEMs than my Sonys, but I don't feel that they're particularly lacking in any area. Given the inclusion of dubstep in my music list, bass will need to be present, but I don't want overwhelming bass, and I don't want any of the sounds to "drop out" or get tinny. Words like rich, clear, punchy, and fun come to mind here. :)
Source: iPhone 4S
Usage: Part of commute (light rail and indoor/outdoor power walking)
Must-haves: Good isolation (and low "bleed"), iPhone remote, available on Amazon

One popular model seems to be the Shure 215s, and I was going to pull the trigger until I saw concerns expressed about how well the remote cord (as a replacement for the stock cord) molds to one's ears? I've also seen recommendations here for Klipsch X10s, FXD80s, GR07s, and Yamaha EPH-100s? Not all of these are readily available on Amazon, or at least at a good price. For what it's worth, I am willing to get a remote cable/adapter elsewhere for a small fee, but the bulk of the cost needs to be on Amazon because I have gift cards. :)

Also, a question: Do molded over-ear wires lose their shape if they get stuffed into pockets?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back