Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,117 of 5,364
Hey, guys!
I'm new to the audio world and I need your advise. I've been wearing my Apple EarBuds for quite some time, but they finally broke not so long ago. Having about $100-140 in my budget I decided to buy a decent pair of cans, but after hours of looking I still haven't found the right ones,
I'd want a pair of headphones that are
-portable
-have decent isolation, since I'll be using them in a lot of different places, library, school, on a bus, etc.
-not terribly uncomfortable, I'll be wearing them for 2+ hours
-don't need an amp.

I've looked into some, including ATH M50's, but I've heard that they aren't really portable. Is that really so?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,118 of 5,364
Quote:

Sounds like the SE215, especially for those genres. Comfort is great on them, people usually get alienated by the over-ear style, but personally can not stand having to wear stuff straight down instead. Isolation with the Olives is quite impressive. Mid-bass bump, so that kick and impact is present, yes. Mids are forward, fantastic, and slightly aggressive in presentation, so great for rock and metal.

Thanks
beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #2,119 of 5,364
Hey head-fier's!
It's been awhile since I got my Monster Turbine Pros. The warranty is about to expire so with that in mind I was looking to upgrade, but being a greenhorn, I'm a bit perplexed. I have done quite a bit of research and have come up with a few candidates. I would greatly appreciate it if someone knowledgeable would tell me how they stack up to my Turbines. My budget is in the ballpark of $100-$150. If my choices in IEMs are atrocious feel free suggest your picks.

IEM's that caught my eye:

JVC HA-FXD80 - I absolutely love the look, but don't really know how they stack up sound wise. 

Atrio MG7 - The price is almost too good to pass up, but not impressed by the presentation. As shallow as that sounds I would like to have a cool looking pair.

Shure SE215 - I did some reading and people seem to think the SE215 are a few steps ahead of my current Turbines.

Things I'm looking for:
-Bass
-Clarity
-Isolation
-Looks

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say thanks in advanced.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #2,120 of 5,364
hey guys,

Looking for a new pair of in ear monitors, my triple fi 10s have become faulty and logitech wont replace them with ue900, just a refund..the refund price does not cover the price of the ue900s though!

since there are no longer any ultimate ears offerings in the £250 bracket, what should I be looking for? I want something more comfortable than the TF10s that seal more easily, perhaps that could be used for sport too.

From the massive thread comparing all types of IEMs, the ClearTune CT-200 seem to get an excellent review, but will they sound too flat coming from the TF10?

For reference, my desktop headphones are Beyer Dynamic DT770, which I love the sound signature of. I like deep bass but not boomy, and love slightly warm but natural acoustics etc.

http://cleartunemonitors.com/CT-200/

or perhaps

http://cleartunemonitors.com/CT-300pro/ ?

I need to check if shipping would cause them to be way over budget though

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2,121 of 5,364
Hi guys,

I'll start off by saying that this site is amazing... I've learned a ton over the last 48 hours and enjoyed looking through all the reviews... but there are so many choices it can be hard to figure out what I'm even looking for.  I'm currently using some ridiculously cheap $10-15 Sony headphones, and they're not cutting it when it comes to bass and overall fullness.

I plan on using these headphones exclusively at work, in my cube, attached to my laptop.  Not a lot of movement but a lot of in/out every day as I run to meetings.  Currently, I usually listen at a low volume (for background noise really) so that I can hear when someone stops by and knocks on my cube wall, but occasionally I turn it up to drown out nearby sounds and just focus on work.  Not sure if there’s any that have easily adjustable isolation, but that would be ideal. Comfort is important since I typically wear them for at least a couple hours every day, sometimes for hours at a time.

Most my music is rock (think silversun pickups, muse, imagine dragons, linkin park, etc.) and vocal dance/trance, with occasional R&B or top 40.  I’m looking at the sub-$100 range, and noticed seemingly good deals on amazon lately like the Klipsch X10 for $85, but I don't know enough yet to know what I'm really looking for.

Thanks!

-Brian

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2,123 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey head-fier's!
It's been awhile since I got my Monster Turbine Pros. The warranty is about to expire so with that in mind I was looking to upgrade, but being a greenhorn, I'm a bit perplexed. I have done quite a bit of research and have come up with a few candidates. I would greatly appreciate it if someone knowledgeable would tell me how they stack up to my Turbines. My budget is in the ballpark of $100-$150. If my choices in IEMs are atrocious feel free suggest your picks.

IEM's that caught my eye:

JVC HA-FXD80 - I absolutely love the look, but don't really know how they stack up sound wise. 

Atrio MG7 - The price is almost too good to pass up, but not impressed by the presentation. As shallow as that sounds I would like to have a cool looking pair.

Shure SE215 - I did some reading and people seem to think the SE215 are a few steps ahead of my current Turbines.

Things I'm looking for:
-Bass
-Clarity
-Isolation
-Looks

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say thanks in advanced.

Golds or the Coppers? Personally feel the Turbine Pros aren't really edged out in technical proficiency against the candidates above, apart from clarity. Would go for the FXD80 or the Atrios for a clearer but still bassy and fun sound. The JVCs look pretty cool in your hands, and feel cool (no pun) to the touch. If that's a factor...

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'll start off by saying that this site is amazing... I've learned a ton over the last 48 hours and enjoyed looking through all the reviews... but there are so many choices it can be hard to figure out what I'm even looking for.  I'm currently using some ridiculously cheap $10-15 Sony headphones, and they're not cutting it when it comes to bass and overall fullness.

I plan on using these headphones exclusively at work, in my cube, attached to my laptop.  Not a lot of movement but a lot of in/out every day as I run to meetings.  Currently, I usually listen at a low volume (for background noise really) so that I can hear when someone stops by and knocks on my cube wall, but occasionally I turn it up to drown out nearby sounds and just focus on work.  Not sure if there’s any that have easily adjustable isolation, but that would be ideal. Comfort is important since I typically wear them for at least a couple hours every day, sometimes for hours at a time.

Most my music is rock (think silversun pickups, muse, imagine dragons, linkin park, etc.) and vocal dance/trance, with occasional R&B or top 40.  I’m looking at the sub-$100 range, and noticed seemingly good deals on amazon lately like the Klipsch X10 for $85, but I don't know enough yet to know what I'm really looking for.

Thanks!

-Brian

No such thing as adjustable isolation, unless you count active noise cancelling IEMs, and even then...Sorry 
frown.gif
 Maybe a playback volume control built in the cable so you can adjust volumes easier?

The X10 right now is a decent deal. They seem to be going on sale quite often these days. Would do well with your music, some bass emphasis, nice kick for rock and R&B. I find that wearing them over-ear makes pulling the IEMs in and out of the ear much more easier, maybe that might solve your problem? In that case, the SE215 are over-ear oriented, and do fairly well with rock.

Quote:
hey guys,

Looking for a new pair of in ear monitors, my triple fi 10s have become faulty and logitech wont replace them with ue900, just a refund..the refund price does not cover the price of the ue900s though!

since there are no longer any ultimate ears offerings in the £250 bracket, what should I be looking for? I want something more comfortable than the TF10s that seal more easily, perhaps that could be used for sport too.

From the massive thread comparing all types of IEMs, the ClearTune CT-200 seem to get an excellent review, but will they sound too flat coming from the TF10?

For reference, my desktop headphones are Beyer Dynamic DT770, which I love the sound signature of. I like deep bass but not boomy, and love slightly warm but natural acoustics etc.

http://cleartunemonitors.com/CT-200/

or perhaps

http://cleartunemonitors.com/CT-300pro/ ?

I need to check if shipping would cause them to be way over budget though

Not sure about the CT-200. I think the ljokerl thread you mentioned is one of the few that has them reviewed. Almost anything will get a better fit and seal than the TF10s, so not too much to worry about there. I would say check out the SM3 for deep bass, great warmth and natural tonality. Not as treble-happy as the DT770 though. In fact, the not too present treble is one of people's major gripes with them. Also the new AT and JVC flagship IEMs are around your budget, obviously haven't heard them, but worth looking into anyways.

Quote:
Hey, guys!
I'm new to the audio world and I need your advise. I've been wearing my Apple EarBuds for quite some time, but they finally broke not so long ago. Having about $100-140 in my budget I decided to buy a decent pair of cans, but after hours of looking I still haven't found the right ones,
I'd want a pair of headphones that are
-portable
-have decent isolation, since I'll be using them in a lot of different places, library, school, on a bus, etc.
-not terribly uncomfortable, I'll be wearing them for 2+ hours
-don't need an amp.

I've looked into some, including ATH M50's, but I've heard that they aren't really portable. Is that really so?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Portability on the M50s are relative from one user to another. Size isn't that bad, but the coiled cable can be heavy. Good isolation, but the pads are pleather, people have complained that they get too hot after prolonged use, I found them okay after a few minutes. Easy to drive. Any specific sound preferences, genres, etc?

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #2,124 of 5,364
Thanks Twin.  I guess by 'adjustable' isolation I mostly meant adjusting fit.  If keeping the volume down works then it's all good.  Thanks again for the quick reply, and the tip about over the ear.  Guess I'm off to amazon...
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #2,125 of 5,364
Hello fellow forum members! Looking to place an order for the Meelec Sport-Fi S6 now that it is going for $18. Been searching for a pair of IEM for running and my previous pair (MH1C) doesn't really serve that purpose well. Any people who have experience with using this set of headphones for this purpose? It seems like a great deal and hard to pass up. Thanks for any advice and wishing everyone a wonderful holiday!

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #2,126 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello fellow forum members! Looking to place an order for the Meelec Sport-Fi S6 now that it is going for $18. Been searching for a pair of IEM for running and my previous pair (MH1C) doesn't really serve that purpose well. Any people who have experience with using this set of headphones for this purpose? It seems like a great deal and hard to pass up. Thanks for any advice and wishing everyone a wonderful holiday!

Looks like the M6, but with more accessories and colour choices. I never run with IEMs, but the M6 held up nicely with regular out and about usage. I've tossed them around, and they're in a cupboard somewhere. Probably still working, though my cupboard's too deep for me to find out. Got my M6 for cheaper, but it seems that's a really good price for them on amazon for the Sport Fi.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #2,129 of 5,364
I looking forward for a pair of in-ear headphones
my budget is $0-$50
Isolation is a Must

I usually listen to trance, house, pop, rnb, rock and bachata.

I also like headphones with some good bass and if go a bit over budget would be good by having cellphone controller 

ty

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #2,130 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eternas, M2s, GR02, have the warmth and nice bass that you're describing. Also the Hawkeye, but that might be a step below in terms of clarity. Can't think of too many other choices around that budget, but I do remember there being some more.

Edit: Assuming the GR02 is the VSonic GR02, I've found the GR04 Flagship on sale within my budget, so I've pulled the trigger on that. Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back