Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2,101 of 5,364
Quote:

AD700s are open, he's looking for something portable and isolates as well. You guys would be a better judge regarding the S500s though. 
biggrin.gif

that's why i edited the post, if he does not mind.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2,102 of 5,364
Quote:

The M2's are 8€ more expensive, so basically same price, but the Brainwavz price is closer to the EU price and I like their look better (even though I like the GR02's jack a bit better and they seem to have a marginally better sound). I think I'll get the Brainwavz, but I might just flip a coin.. Thanks for all the help Twin!

M2 have some bass quantity, are on the warm side and feel pretty intimate, soundstage is narrow a bit. R1 have more bass than M2, but sound clearer and have better separation between instrument, thanks to dual dynamic drivers. To me the best budget earphones are Dunu Trident, great build quality and very good SQ for the price, for some more money, Fischer Consonance or Vsonic GR06.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,103 of 5,364
Quote:
IEM-wise, or full-sized? Would have to direct you here regarding the games, having not played anything but Eve or UT3 and Quake in a long, long time, at least desktop wise. http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-12-24-12-external-amp-section-added-w-3-amps

Though I can immediately imagine the FA-003/HM5/Jaycar OEMs to do quite well for gaming. Never tried them for that purpose, but soundstage was quite immersing and large. Lightweight despite how they look, could be used for portable use because they isolate quite well. 

Full Sized would be better, never felt comfortable with IEMs. Searched around for the FA-003/HM5/Jaycar, found them for 70$ dollars on Jaycar, but they only ship in the USA. I should have made it clear. I live in Italy, so anything that is available in Europe is better, 'cause shipment costs get pretty high, and availability isn't assured. Still, I think I found the JVC HA-S500 at a nice price and shipment cost, but keep the suggestion going, if there are any, especially if available in Europe. :D
Also, thanks for the fast response, guys, you're incredibly helpful.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,106 of 5,364
Quote:
M2 have some bass quantity, are on the warm side and feel pretty intimate, soundstage is narrow a bit. R1 have more bass than M2, but sound clearer and have better separation between instrument, thanks to dual dynamic drivers. To me the best budget earphones are Dunu Trident, great build quality and very good SQ for the price, for some more money, Fischer Consonance or Vsonic GR06.

Well damn, too many options now. Sadly it seems that frogbeats are fully our of stock on almost everything. I can get the Fischer Consonance for just 10€ more than the M2 and if frogbeats ever restocks I can get the GR06s cheaper than any of the others. Eh, this IEM business is complicated.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #2,107 of 5,364
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seems like you might want an all-rounder? It'd be easier if you could narrow down your sound preferences, so learning the lingo and what to listen for would make it easier to get more precise recommendations. I'd say the E30 or the GR06 for rock/classical. No chance of them leaking unless you listen at absurd volumes.

Cheers for the reply. I went been through the thread 3 times and missed it every time.

I would probably say an all-rounder, since I will listen to pretty much anything, assuming that's what it means. Though it is mostly rock, so (and I apologise if I use these wrongly or it makes no sense, I'm literally reading from a glossary thread as I type) warm and forward (and according to the thread I'm reading) lush. And whilst quite bassy not so much that it takes over to the detriment of everything else. Is that what you mean?

I would prefer to wear them straight down rather than over the ear, though I've never tried the latter so I wouldn't say no if it's my best option.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #2,108 of 5,364
I've been happily using my Phonak PFE 112 with Shure Olives for the past four year, but I'm now casually wondering if there's a newer pair of IEMs that would offer a marked improvement. I listen to rock, punk and metal (primarily alternative, indie and hardcore), and a tiny bit of electronic. I love the sound of the PFE 112, and they'd be perfect for me if the bass was a little more prominent. Since I'll primarily be using these to play along with songs on electronic drums, I want to have at least as much isolation as I do now, minimal microphonics, an over-the-ear fit and good durability. I'd like to stay under $200.

I'm also looking to grab a cheaper pair of IEMs for use at work. I'd prefer less isolation, and they should be quick to get a good fit. Does anything come close to the Vsonic GR04 Flagship Edition at $45?

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #2,109 of 5,364
Quote:
What's up with all those rebrands? There are like 5 different names for the same headphone!

FA-003, FA-002, FA-004, FA-006 and their clones come from the same taiwanese manufacturer Yoga.

Quote:
Well damn, too many options now. Sadly it seems that frogbeats are fully our of stock on almost everything. I can get the Fischer Consonance for just 10€ more than the M2 and if frogbeats ever restocks I can get the GR06s cheaper than any of the others. Eh, this IEM business is complicated.

If want some warm sound and the feeling you're in the middle of the musicians on the scene get the M2, if you prefer something less warm, more spacious, more airy, with good level of details and some bass, Consonance are the answer.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2,110 of 5,364
Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a $100-$150 IEM. I've dabbled with good value and earphones under $50 but have never really taken the plunge for a better set. The crave to do so all started on Black Friday wehn I saw the Image X10 on sale. I listen to mostly alternative/indie rock (Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses) with a helping of hip hop, electro pop (The Naked and Famous), and classic rock (Zeppelin). I'm looking for a fun sound but would also like to experience Soundstage after reading about it so often in my time perusing Head-Fi. I'm not a basshead but do enjoy having some impact in the lower frequencies.

I've pretty much decided on the TDK BA200 ($135 on amazon right now) because it seems like they will provide me with an enjoyable listen to the types of music I like as well as showing me an analytical side. I'm also a sucker for value and on all accounts they have plenty of that. Before I pull the trigger I want to see if there are any other options that may suit me better. I can't help but wonder, maybe the Klipsch Image X10 ($85 on amazon) that started all this would be a better fit for my tastes? Thank you all for your input and time!

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2,111 of 5,364
Quote:
If want some warm sound and the feeling you're in the middle of the musicians on the scene get the M2, if you prefer something less warm, more spacious, more airy, with good level of details and some bass, Consonance are the answer.

Cool, then it's just a coin-toss between the GR02 and the M2s, thanks :)

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #2,112 of 5,364
Quote:
Cheers for the reply. I went been through the thread 3 times and missed it every time.

I would probably say an all-rounder, since I will listen to pretty much anything, assuming that's what it means. Though it is mostly rock, so (and I apologise if I use these wrongly or it makes no sense, I'm literally reading from a glossary thread as I type) warm and forward (and according to the thread I'm reading) lush. And whilst quite bassy not so much that it takes over to the detriment of everything else. Is that what you mean?

I would prefer to wear them straight down rather than over the ear, though I've never tried the latter so I wouldn't say no if it's my best option.

Warm, lush, seems like the GR06 or the SE215. Especially the Shures once rock comes into the equation. You could try wearing them straight down if you want, but I never really got why people always assumed over-ear style was a bad thing. 

Quote:
I've been happily using my Phonak PFE 112 with Shure Olives for the past four year, but I'm now casually wondering if there's a newer pair of IEMs that would offer a marked improvement. I listen to rock, punk and metal (primarily alternative, indie and hardcore), and a tiny bit of electronic. I love the sound of the PFE 112, and they'd be perfect for me if the bass was a little more prominent. Since I'll primarily be using these to play along with songs on electronic drums, I want to have at least as much isolation as I do now, minimal microphonics, an over-the-ear fit and good durability. I'd like to stay under $200.

I'm also looking to grab a cheaper pair of IEMs for use at work. I'd prefer less isolation, and they should be quick to get a good fit. Does anything come close to the Vsonic GR04 Flagship Edition at $45?

The PFE112 are really solid performers, can't think of anything that will beat it under $200. Maybe the EPH100 if you want slightly more bass and durability, but it'd still be a sidegrade more than anything else. The W2s also seem to fit the ticket in terms of usability. Not that much more bass than the PFE112 though. 

Regarding the cheaper pair, if what I heard about the GR04 from others is correct (almost like the GR02 but with less bass), I'd say that the E30 or the R-30 might be worth looking into.

Quote:
FA-003, FA-002, FA-004, FA-006 and their clones come from the same taiwanese manufacturer Yoga.

Also the people who do alot of TDK stuff, so it seems they get around

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #2,113 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a $100-$150 IEM. I've dabbled with good value and earphones under $50 but have never really taken the plunge for a better set. The crave to do so all started on Black Friday wehn I saw the Image X10 on sale. I listen to mostly alternative/indie rock (Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses) with a helping of hip hop, electro pop (The Naked and Famous), and classic rock (Zeppelin). I'm looking for a fun sound but would also like to experience Soundstage after reading about it so often in my time perusing Head-Fi. I'm not a basshead but do enjoy having some impact in the lower frequencies.

I've pretty much decided on the TDK BA200 ($135 on amazon right now) because it seems like they will provide me with an enjoyable listen to the types of music I like as well as showing me an analytical side. I'm also a sucker for value and on all accounts they have plenty of that. Before I pull the trigger I want to see if there are any other options that may suit me better. I can't help but wonder, maybe the Klipsch Image X10 ($85 on amazon) that started all this would be a better fit for my tastes? Thank you all for your input and time!

Tough choice. Would say the X10 do pretty well for what you're asking apart from soundstage (not a lot in IEMs, these are even more average). Haven't heard the TDKs. I would try to avoid putting in more recommendations because you seem to have a pretty good grasp on what you might want. Don't want to ruin it by confusing you with too many choices. But I would say that the EPH100 are also worth a look at if you want great tonality for those genres, as well as some decent soundstage.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,114 of 5,364
Quote:

Warm, lush, seems like the GR06 or the SE215. Especially the Shures once rock comes into the equation. You could try wearing them straight down if you want, but I never really got why people always assumed over-ear style was a bad thing. 

Thanks, the Shures seem to be about double the price of the GR06 (about £80 to £40). The feedback on here seems to be very positive of the GR06s, so I'll look at them.

I've never thought of over-ear as bad, just that they looked awkward. I'd probably get used to it quite quickly though, even if it was.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2,115 of 5,364
Haven't heard the Thinksounds, but the RE262 IMO does better than the GR06 on most aspects. Even the VSonic's greatest strength, the mids, gets outdone by the RE262. Build might be a bit worrisome, though. The FXT90 are more V-shaped, but quite good. Build on the housing would be the best out of the bunch though, cables less so.

Narrowed it down to the JVC HA-FXT90 and the thinksound ms-01. Jvcs are going for $80 and the thinksound for $68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back