Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,922 of 5,364
Quote:
I am looking for a replacement to my Monoprice 8323's to use on-the-go (iPod 160GB) and with a Toshiba laptop - note: This is the 2nd time I have quite by accident broken the fork/headband joint on the Monoprice. By all accounts, I am convinced the Sony ZX700 or it's iDevice counterpart (the ZX701iP) would be an excellent progression for me due to comfort, isolation, and balanced sound. I can get either one for around $70, maybe less. The thing that concerns me is whether, at 3x the cost of a "disposable" semi-portable, they are likely to withstand less-than-ideal handling and a lot of being shoved around. My price ceiling really is $75 and no higher, but I'd really love to upgrade to a balanced, comfortable product without that easily-compromised frame. I have looked at the CAL! and don't favor what I've read about the isolation level...

There is the Superlux 668 but I have concern that for soundtracks, metal, etc. it may be less capable of presenting deep rumble, spaciousness, other qualities (perhaps in orchestral as well...)

Signature wise I prefer impactful but not burdensome bass, a lush midrange, and slightly withdrawn treble - overall, euphonic, organic, MUSICAL sound (although if I were to jump clearly into mid-fi I'd probably get an M-100) - the EX300 was great fun but lacking in clarity, and the XCape Impressive Edition was too dry. I have a 2.1 shelf-system and while the low end is overexerted in most popular music, otherwise it has the sound I want in a headphone.

Advice and suggestions are welcome.

My first thought is that the ZX700 will not stand up to your "usage pattern".  I consider the 8323 to be pretty beefy as it is, and the joint on the ZX700 is just as, if not more, fragile.  It is limited in swivel by some stops, so if you broke the 8323s by the cups getting rotated the wrong way, the ZX700 will likely not last very long.  Profile wise they are actually pretty similar. but I'd give the ZX700 an edge in treble clarity/crispness, and the 8323 extra bass extension.  The ZX700 does NOT fold up.

668b has no real moving parts, the drivers swivel on a fixed cup and the whole set doesn't even have any major adjustments, however, they'd be sort of large for carrying around in a bag, compared to the DJ/pro cans that fold up.  So it might stand up to getting beat up, I can't really say though since I don't beat up my headphones. :p You might find the sub-bass lacking like I did, and I don't know if you'd be sensitive to the high treble that I (as well as Tyll) think are a bit painful / razor-like.  Isolation also might not be up to your needs, and for on-the-go use you have to suffer AKG/A-T die hards seeing you and thinking you are using knock-offs.

An alternative to the 668b could be the 681, not the 681b, which has more bass extension and is cheaper.  It had a little less overall clarity than the 668b though from what I recall.

I thought of The Stretch which will take the beating, has great isolation, but has more of a V profile, so might not be what you're looking for.  On that thought, a lot of the Philips products seem to have great build quality and closer to the profile you're looking for.  The Downtowns are relatively small, have a sturdy metal headband, great isolation, and sort of the bass hump, less treble profile you might be looking for.

The Philips stuff seems to be finding its way into the TJMAXX/Marshalls system lately so can be had for under $40 and could be a good place for you to start?

One last thought... the SRH440 deserves to be on the list.  They are beefy, but maybe not as "musical".

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,923 of 5,364
Hi, 

I'm looking for IEMs in the $70-100 category. Source is iPod Touch with 320kbps or lossless files. I listen to a lot of pop, alternative, R/B, and hip-hop but I often listen to classical and other categories as well. 

I've been considering the Monster Turbines and the UE600s. 

Turbines: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-Performance-Speakers-127593/dp/B001LNO722/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356218522&sr=1-1&keywords=monster+turbine
UE600s: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2XC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356218609&sr=1-1&keywords=ue600

Style/design is also important to me because I use my over-ears when I need serious listening (so thus, I'm not looking at the SE215s). 

I was just about to pull the trigger for the Turbines, but they I noticed a lot of lousy reviews on Amazon about the bad quality and how they fail constantly. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,924 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello All, Long time reader but first time poster im afraid! 

I'm looking to replace my UE TF10's. Main reasons include:

I'm moving to London so I can't bring my surround system.
I would like more bass impact and depth from the TF10's
I find the mids very recessed and would like them brought forward
The TF 10's arent the most inconspicous headphones and would like a different form factor. 

However I do love the soundstage the TF10's produce as well as the isolation, I can get a perfect fit and wear them for a couple of hours without fatigue with comply tips.

I'm open to either IEM's again or headphones but not sure what to get. They'll be used mainly for commuting and on the go audio with very occasional home use. I am willing to amp if needed; they will be used with my iPhone 5 with Lossless audio files. 

Total budget is ~ £250 / $400 

I have considered the JVC HA-FXZ200's , Beyerdynamic DT1350 and Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's. 

Any suggestions or reccomendations? 

If you're going for headphones, I can definitely vouch for the HD-25-1. IEM-wise, sounds like the UE900 might be worth looking into, but I haven't heard them (will probably get to very, very soon, might have found someone local who is willing to let me try them). Go on the main UE900 thread for some more leads, since I won't be of much help.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #1,925 of 5,364
Hello, I'm new here.

I'm looking for a pair of earphones <$200, preferably $100 - $160. I want an IEM because I don't want to look like a tool in public with headphones and I want some noise isolation for studying. I want a pretty versatile pair but I listen to mainly folk and rock. Most songs I listen to feature a large array of instruments and can be pretty complex (like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel).My main priority is sound quality (I'm pretty new to the whole audiophile community so I don't really know how to describe the sound), but obviously I also want decent comfort and build quality. I am not a bass lover. I don't plan on buying an amp or any other accessories.
I was looking at the Rock-It R-50s which I could get for $130 and they seemed like the perfect pair for me, however, on Amazon quite a few reviews complained about how the earphones generally stopped working after around 4 months, due to the cable or something. This has turned me off them.

Are the Rock-It R-50s really that bad with holding together? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,926 of 5,364
Looking for customs or a CIEM system like the JH3A or PP6, no price limit, basically want a "end-all" solution. I don't really know what I'm looking for too so I need advice. Here are some of my past experiences with IEMs and my opinions on the different ones I have tried, hopefully it will give a good insight on what I'm looking for.

In chronological order.

Sony Ericsson IEM: This is before I discovered HeadFi, I felt that as long as something gives me isolation and I can hear sound coming out from it is fine.

UE Super.Fi 5 (before the Logitec takeover): My first real experience with "good sounding" IEMs. What I love about this is the bass slam and the rendering of the individual instruments. The vocals, supporting voices and instruments don't sound mashed up together and I had a feel of 3Dness from these. One thing I like about this is the relatively "V" frequency response, which, IMO, makes a song sound "grander", or more pleasing to the ear with the emphasis of the background instruments.

UM3X: "Upgrading" from the UE SF5, I felt that the "grandness" I felt with the SF5 was weaker with the UM3X, however, imaging and instrument separation are much better than the SF5. I liked the way all the instruments sounded like different instruments instead of 1 sound. But felt that the soundstage could be much improved. One thing I must definitely say here: I LOVE THE VOCALS. No other IEM I have tried, including the customs I shall mention next, can ever, EVER let me love vocals more than UM3X. It's absolutely stunning. I love the fact that the vocals rendered by the UM3X actually triggers emotions instead of me feeling that it is "just another song".

JH13: JH13 was my first dabble into customs, I loved the way the custom isolated noise better than normal IEMs, this is a big factor. SQ wise, I felt that it was a mix between the UE SF5 and UM3X (which I didn't really like). It did very well in all aspects (I'd give 8.5 for everything) but no 10.0 for any individual part. Therefore, the feeling to me was like: The soundstage and imaging are really good, as well as the bass and highs, but.... how I wish the vocals were like the UM3X. Or, the vocals were good.... but I missed the "grandness" of the SF5.

Westone 4R: My current set of IEMs. IMO, it is around the same as the JH13, but maybe slightly different in some aspects. The niggling feeling of everything is so good, but there is no standout aspect is still there. If I give the JH13 an 8.5, I'd give the 4R an 8.0.

Ok, so that's it. Of course, these are all MY OPINION, feel free to disagree with them, I'm not some super seasoned audiophile pro. But I hope this gives an idea of what I would be looking for (because I really don't know myself). I *WISH* there could be something with the vocals of the UM3X, separation and soundstage of the JH13, or even better (IMO the JH13 could still do better in these aspects!!).

Currently I'm looking at JH3A and PP6, not really with JH now because my JH13 was spoilt - I emailed them 3 times and I got no reply. Then I also read about the UERM and the ES5.

Thoughts?

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #1,927 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello, I'm new here.

I'm looking for a pair of earphones <$200, preferably $100 - $160. I want an IEM because I don't want to look like a tool in public with headphones and I want some noise isolation for studying. I want a pretty versatile pair but I listen to mainly folk and rock. Most songs I listen to feature a large array of instruments and can be pretty complex (like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel).My main priority is sound quality (I'm pretty new to the whole audiophile community so I don't really know how to describe the sound), but obviously I also want decent comfort and build quality. I am not a bass lover. I don't plan on buying an amp or any other accessories.
I was looking at the Rock-It R-50s which I could get for $130 and they seemed like the perfect pair for me, however, on Amazon quite a few reviews complained about how the earphones generally stopped working after around 4 months, due to the cable or something. This has turned me off them.

Are the Rock-It R-50s really that bad with holding together? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Neutral Milk Hotel is one of my favorite bands and "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" is my favorite album (see avatar). I think that the Etymotic HF5 and the Hifiman RE-262 might be great for you. the RE-262 does a bit better with an amp though, so the Ety might be better.

Can't judge the R-50s.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,929 of 5,364
Looking for a new pair of in ear headphones for myself, need suggestions. I have a pair of ajays 2 right now i like them but i want better. I want the same amount of bass or more because I mostly listen to hip hop, some rock. Want better highs, mids, while having similar bass. I will be using this out of my phone an htc one x. I will be working out with them alot, dont know how much that affects it as ive never had a problem with any headphones while working out. Budget is $120 or below.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,930 of 5,364
Looking to replace my Klipsch S4s with something with a bit more treble and clarity. My music seems to lack the kind of energy I like. The S4s had really shrill trebles until I replaced the stock tips with Complys, and now they have almost no treble whatsoever. I EQed them up as a temporary measure, but I think a new set is the way to go. I listen to bands such as Rush, Iron Maiden, Alice in Chains, Lacuna Coil, and occasionally Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree. I'm curious how much better I can do for $100-$150. I would be using these with 256/320 AACs on my iPhone, as well as FLACs on a Sansa Clip+. Both of those would be with a FiiO E11. I would probably continue using Comply TXs, unless there are better options for my situation.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,931 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for a new pair of in ear headphones for myself, need suggestions. I have a pair of ajays 2 right now i like them but i want better. I want the same amount of bass or more because I mostly listen to hip hop, some rock. Want better highs, mids, while having similar bass. I will be using this out of my phone an htc one x. I will be working out with them alot, dont know how much that affects it as ive never had a problem with any headphones while working out. Budget is $120 or below.

No worries about that phone, it's a solid phone for music and the likes. If you sweat a lot, that might be a problem. There's nothing you can really do about it, except to watch out or to get a cheapo pair for working out. 

Right, about the IEMs. Turbines (Turbine Pro Gold if you can stretch in another $30), Hephaes, maybe the SE215 if you don't mind a slight sacrifice in bass for an increase everywhere else. I haven't heard them, but the EX90EX seem to be pretty popular as basshead IEMs, go check out the discovery thread for more info on them.

Quote:
Looking for a bass heavy pair that folds, has a detatchable cable and is under 200. (On ear headphone) comfort is also very important.

The V-Moda M80s are pretty comfortable, on-ear, detachable cable, folds, very small. But while they are bass-emphasized, these are definitely not mind-rumbling, bass-heavy set. The LP/LP2 come closer, and have pretty much the same build, but they are circumaural (very comfortable ones at that)

Quote:
Looking to replace my Klipsch S4s with something with a bit more treble and clarity. My music seems to lack the kind of energy I like. The S4s had really shrill trebles until I replaced the stock tips with Complys, and now they have almost no treble whatsoever. I EQed them up as a temporary measure, but I think a new set is the way to go. I listen to bands such as Rush, Iron Maiden, Alice in Chains, Lacuna Coil, and occasionally Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree. I'm curious how much better I can do for $100-$150. I would be using these with 256/320 AACs on my iPhone, as well as FLACs on a Sansa Clip+. Both of those would be with a FiiO E11. I would probably continue using Comply TXs, unless there are better options for my situation.

More treble than the S4 with stock silicone tips, or with Complys? I'd say the GR07, since they do pretty well with rock, renders drum kicks pretty well. GR01 have plenty of smooth, but present treble. Very sweet sounding. A bit over budget though. R-50 or the A161P could also do the trick. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,932 of 5,364
Any suggestions for choosing between the UE700s and the Monster Turbines? 

I'm leaning towards the Turbines because there seems to be more quality complaints with the UEs, but the Turbines do have their fair share of issues too 

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,933 of 5,364
Hoping someone can help me out with a few suggestions for a new set of headphones. I'm using a set of Sennheiser CX500's right now. They're fine. The seal in my ears comes loose at times, but not a deal breaker. I've had them for over a year and the cord is starting to come apart. I can see the wires inside coming out, so time to look for a new pair before they die. I'm not an audiophile so as long as the sound is decent I don't think I'm going to know the difference. My biggest wants are phone/music/volume controls for Android (I'd like ALL of the controls to work in Android) and stopping noise leakage. I really don't care about noise-cancelling (keeping outside sounds out), but I hate being in a crowded place and having others listening to my music or podcast or whatever. I'm not sure why people say IEMs have the least noise leakage, they leak plenty in my experience. I was hoping to not go much over the $100 range, but I realize I might have to rethink that.

Any suggestions?

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,934 of 5,364
Quote:
The V-Moda M80s are pretty comfortable, on-ear, detachable cable, folds, very small. But while they are bass-emphasized, these are definitely not mind-rumbling, bass-heavy set. The LP/LP2 come closer, and have pretty much the same build, but they are circumaural (very comfortable ones at that)

They fold?
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,935 of 5,364
hey guys, ive shortlisted ath sj-11,sj33,re70; sennheiser hd 202 II ,hd 219, px100,hd229  Sony MDR XB400, my budget is kinda low, around 2000-2500 INR (40$-50$) i listen to rock,rap,metal and house.

so pls tell me which ones will be the best based on comfort,portability,sound quality and value for money or if u think you of a better pair of headphones pls tell me.

Most headphones of Koss,JVC,etc are not available in India, 

Most Sennheiser,Audio Technica,Sony,etc are available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back