Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #1,907 of 5,364
Need a new pair of iem's.
Currently considering the Ath ckm500's, but after reading about the MH1's, I'm considering those as well.
Just wondering if there is any reason I should spend the extra money on the AT's?

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #1,908 of 5,364
Quote:
After I got my CX500s caught and the wires snapped, I'm looking for some earphones (buds or in ear I don't really mind), preferably hangdown and at around £50/60, though I'm willing to go higher should they be worth it, or will even wait should there be something soon to be released. I know it's not a considerable budget, but there must be a few that can punch above their weight.

I listen to pretty much any type of music so I'm just looking for overall sound quality; talk of mids and crisp highs and whathaveyou just sounds like gobbledygook to me so I can't really narrow it down further to what I want. Basically I just want them to sound good when I'm listening to rock, and good when I'm listening to classical as well.

Apart from that my main interest is that people won't be able to hear what I'm listening to and I can't hear them when I'm wearing them. Generally they will only be used with a Samsung P3 or in my laptop, so nothing too taxing. And obviously that they should be comfortable, but I imagine that is a given and subjective anyway.

Peripheral things like volume control I'm not too bothered about, but if they had it it'd be a plus, and I would prefer them to be of good build quality as they inevitably take a bashing, as well as low cable noise which was one thing that could distract me with my old earphones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just to make sure it doesn't get lost...

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,909 of 5,364
I am looking for a replacement to my Monoprice 8323's to use on-the-go (iPod 160GB) and with a Toshiba laptop - note: This is the 2nd time I have quite by accident broken the fork/headband joint on the Monoprice. By all accounts, I am convinced the Sony ZX700 or it's iDevice counterpart (the ZX701iP) would be an excellent progression for me due to comfort, isolation, and balanced sound. I can get either one for around $70, maybe less. The thing that concerns me is whether, at 3x the cost of a "disposable" semi-portable, they are likely to withstand less-than-ideal handling and a lot of being shoved around. My price ceiling really is $75 and no higher, but I'd really love to upgrade to a balanced, comfortable product without that easily-compromised frame. I have looked at the CAL! and don't favor what I've read about the isolation level...

There is the Superlux 668 but I have concern that for soundtracks, metal, etc. it may be less capable of presenting deep rumble, spaciousness, other qualities (perhaps in orchestral as well...)

Signature wise I prefer impactful but not burdensome bass, a lush midrange, and slightly withdrawn treble - overall, euphonic, organic, MUSICAL sound (although if I were to jump clearly into mid-fi I'd probably get an M-100) - the EX300 was great fun but lacking in clarity, and the XCape Impressive Edition was too dry. I have a 2.1 shelf-system and while the low end is overexerted in most popular music, otherwise it has the sound I want in a headphone.

Advice and suggestions are welcome.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,910 of 5,364
I have a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-80s and love the way they sound, but find them incredibly uncomfortable. I am currently using them unamped with my iPad and Playstation Vita. Other headphones that I like (in terms of sound and comfort): Audio Technica ATH-AD 700/900, Sennheiser PX-100. So I am looking for a headphone that meets the following requirements:

Closed
Circumaural
Comfortable
Somewhat portable
Durable (preferably has a detachable cord)
Bass is nice but not at the expense of detail
Sound good without amping

I have been looking at the Shure SRH440 and Beyer dt 660, but have no way of demoing either of these phones.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,911 of 5,364
After doing some research I can't seem to find much on the ear clip style earphones. I have a friend who is looking for earphones on a budget (small budget) and I tried suggesting the JVC HA-RX700 headphones to her (I have them), but they are the full size headphones and she needs the portability. After going through several of the 15$ cheap-o things she got at the local store, and having me fix the wires to all of them until they finally just ripped at the plug, she's looking for the most durable ones she can find.

The criteria are:
1. Durability. this is the most important thing right now.
2. Has to have the clip style thing that don't seem to be widely used anymore.
3. Needs to be ear buds along with the clip. I tried showing her some with the pads, but she tells me they get hot.
4. Low budget. This request is coming from someone who thinks that anything above 90$ is ridiculous. I know this really limits the options here.
5. Quality comes second to durability. Considering all she really does is listen to books with them, and occasionally listens to rock music, a pair of earphones that don't meet sound standards are perfectly acceptable.

I know this may be asking a lot, but she is willing to go above budget if it's unavoidable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,912 of 5,364
masterjuggler While reading your post I kept repeating "KSC75" after every sentence. The have those behind-the-ear clips, they are portable, they sound amazing for their low price (about 15$ I think). As for durability, they are mostly plastic, but I've never read about any problems with them unless by people like me who modded them to death.
If they do happen to rip, they are very easy to mod and recable, my first DIY project was to recable a pair of Portapros (same driver but with a headband). 

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,913 of 5,364
So my Meelectronics CW31's just died and I'm looking for a replacement. I really enjoyed the CW31s so I might just buy another pair of those but before I do that I figured I'd see here if there is anything else worth trying out just to get something different. I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH AD700 headphones I wear at home to listen to accoustic guitar and jazz tunes. I also listen to indie rock, showtunes and orchestrated music. I'm not a huge basshead by any means.

I'm trying to stay in the 30-40 dollar range. I've been looking at the Meelec CC51, CW31, Brainwavz Beta, and Vsonic Gr99.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #1,914 of 5,364
Quote:
masterjuggler While reading your post I kept repeating "KSC75" after every sentence. The have those behind-the-ear clips, they are portable, they sound amazing for their low price (about 15$ I think). As for durability, they are mostly plastic, but I've never read about any problems with them unless by people like me who modded them to death.
If they do happen to rip, they are very easy to mod and recable, my first DIY project was to recable a pair of Portapros (same driver but with a headband). 

They look great, but they need to have the ear buds. I tried talking her into getting this kind with the pads, but she keeps complaining they get hot, sweaty, and gross. I've never had that happen to me, but they aren't my earphones. Do you have any recommendations for ones with ear buds?

And recabling isn't a problem most of the time. The reason I couldn't recable the old crappy earphones is because they were glued shut by whatever stupid manufacturer made them. I have a load of paracord to use as wire sleeve and old CAT 5 cables for wires if need be. I already recabled my JVC RX700s. The stock wires were thin and flimsy.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,915 of 5,364
Currently I own a bose IE2 and an old hd555 that I have sitting around and rarely use. The bose ie2 is my daily driver and I use it for my phone, computer, music, etc. I have enjoyed using the hd 555 but my main complaints about them have been: 1) the wire is about 1-2 feet long and is excessive 2) I need a 3.5m audio adapter to plug into ipod/computer which makes it even more bulky

I want to find a pair of headphones that are:

Good for listening to house music, rock, and acoustic guitar
3.5m (regular ipod size), or if it does need an adapter, not be too bulky
Preferably not too long of a wire so I can occasionally take it to the library, bus, etc (I look ridiculous walking with this outside. I could probably do jump ropes with this cable)
Being somewhat stylish wouldn't hurt either 
etysmile.gif

<$150 (I do not want it to get stolen) but feel free to suggest anything if you think its justified for my needs
Somewhat durable or atleast not fragile like glass
Comfortable for long periods of time
Allows for some air circulation (I had the m50's before and it made my ear/hair sweat as it was so closed).

I will mostly use it in my dorm to listen to music, in the library, etc so I want it to be comfortable for long periods of time.

Please feel free to post multiple suggestions for headphones as I value your opinion as I am a noob when it comes to this lol.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #1,916 of 5,364
Quote:
Oh, so you've bumped that budget. Immediately you know I'm going to say PFE122. But now you have the GR07, W2, and RE262 in the slough as well (warm mids, accurate bass). The Phonaks are again, very small and will most likely fit your ears better.

Sorry for the late reply. The Phonaks come with an in-line remote control right? I've found that it causes interference when listening to music on iPod Nanos for example. Do you know if this causes similar issues? And I mean interference in the way that when you move the control around or make contact with it, you can hear it in your ears. I know there's a word for it but I can't seem to recall it. Thanks again.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,917 of 5,364
I am looking for a bass heavy IEM under $150. I have XB500's right now and am pleased with them, I figure for this price I could get something a little better. I am currently looking at the Monster Turbine and Turbine pro gold.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #1,918 of 5,364
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. The Phonaks come with an in-line remote control right? I've found that it causes interference when listening to music on iPod Nanos for example. Do you know if this causes similar issues? And I mean interference in the way that when you move the control around or make contact with it, you can hear it in your ears. I know there's a word for it but I can't seem to recall it. Thanks again.

The PFE112 is the non-mic version, none of them have a remote I think, apart from the PFE232. Are you refering to microphonics, or interference from the circuitry?

Quote:
I am looking for a bass heavy IEM under $150. I have XB500's right now and am pleased with them, I figure for this price I could get something a little better. I am currently looking at the Monster Turbine and Turbine pro gold.

Turbine Golds over the regular ones, no doubt. Very fun, probably some of the bassiest IEMs I've heard. I'd also look at the Atrios, less warm than the Turbine series, a bit closer in signature to the XB500 (keep in mind that the Golds are really, really warm).

Quote:
Currently I own a bose IE2 and an old hd555 that I have sitting around and rarely use. The bose ie2 is my daily driver and I use it for my phone, computer, music, etc. I have enjoyed using the hd 555 but my main complaints about them have been: 1) the wire is about 1-2 feet long and is excessive 2) I need a 3.5m audio adapter to plug into ipod/computer which makes it even more bulky

I want to find a pair of headphones that are:

Good for listening to house music, rock, and acoustic guitar
3.5m (regular ipod size), or if it does need an adapter, not be too bulky
Preferably not too long of a wire so I can occasionally take it to the library, bus, etc (I look ridiculous walking with this outside. I could probably do jump ropes with this cable)
Being somewhat stylish wouldn't hurt either 
etysmile.gif

<$150 (I do not want it to get stolen) but feel free to suggest anything if you think its justified for my needs
Somewhat durable or atleast not fragile like glass
Comfortable for long periods of time
Allows for some air circulation (I had the m50's before and it made my ear/hair sweat as it was so closed).

I will mostly use it in my dorm to listen to music, in the library, etc so I want it to be comfortable for long periods of time.

Please feel free to post multiple suggestions for headphones as I value your opinion as I am a noob when it comes to this lol.

Headphone-wise, you could try the M80s, stylish, slightly vented so air circulation is better than most closed, but still manages to isolate enough, really durable. Also quite small and portable, built like a tank, what with the metal faceplates, kevlar cables, ridculously bendable headband. I really can't see them breaking anytime soon. Cable is 1.2m. There's also the MS400 to look in to. If you're looking for an over-ear though, those won't be the ticket.

IEM-wise, GR07  for rock or FXD80 for house.

Quote:

They look great, but they need to have the ear buds. I tried talking her into getting this kind with the pads, but she keeps complaining they get hot, sweaty, and gross. I've never had that happen to me, but they aren't my earphones. Do you have any recommendations for ones with ear buds?

And recabling isn't a problem most of the time. The reason I couldn't recable the old crappy earphones is because they were glued shut by whatever stupid manufacturer made them. I have a load of paracord to use as wire sleeve and old CAT 5 cables for wires if need be. I already recabled my JVC RX700s. The stock wires were thin and flimsy.

Couldn't she just wear them over-ear style, or gets some ear guides like these http://v-moda.com/sport-earhooks/http://www.audeoworld.com/en/US/Products/Parts/Siliconeearguides.htm. Pretty much the same ear guides you'll find on the clip-on IEMs (like the Senn-Adidas monstrocity). You could even DIY it - I've even DIYed it, and I can't DIY for anything. Seems like a shame that the ear-guides are limiting purchase choice so much. If you go with the ear guides, you could stick pretty much any cheap IEM there and call it done.

Quote:
So my Meelectronics CW31's just died and I'm looking for a replacement. I really enjoyed the CW31s so I might just buy another pair of those but before I do that I figured I'd see here if there is anything else worth trying out just to get something different. I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH AD700 headphones I wear at home to listen to accoustic guitar and jazz tunes. I also listen to indie rock, showtunes and orchestrated music. I'm not a huge basshead by any means.

I'm trying to stay in the 30-40 dollar range. I've been looking at the Meelec CC51, CW31, Brainwavz Beta, and Vsonic Gr99.

E30? Great with Jazz. I can vouch for the Betas as well. ~30-40, there's the all-hyped MH1C, bassy as heck, but warm and pleasing for indie and jazz. 

Quote:
I have a pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-80s and love the way they sound, but find them incredibly uncomfortable. I am currently using them unamped with my iPad and Playstation Vita. Other headphones that I like (in terms of sound and comfort): Audio Technica ATH-AD 700/900, Sennheiser PX-100. So I am looking for a headphone that meets the following requirements:

Closed
Circumaural
Comfortable
Somewhat portable
Durable (preferably has a detachable cord)
Bass is nice but not at the expense of detail
Sound good without amping

I have been looking at the Shure SRH440 and Beyer dt 660, but have no way of demoing either of these phones.

Detachable, circumaural, sounds like the SRH440/840. Pleather pads get a bit hot though, not unlike the pleather on the V-Moda. There's velour replacements for the Shures though, I think. Any Beyer will be supremely comfortable with those velour pads. You could also look into the FA-003/Jaycar/Yoga/Brainwavz (same OEM and build), large cups, very comfortable, might have to forgo portability a bit, since they're a bit large (but very light).

Quote:
I am looking for a replacement to my Monoprice 8323's to use on-the-go (iPod 160GB) and with a Toshiba laptop - note: This is the 2nd time I have quite by accident broken the fork/headband joint on the Monoprice. By all accounts, I am convinced the Sony ZX700 or it's iDevice counterpart (the ZX701iP) would be an excellent progression for me due to comfort, isolation, and balanced sound. I can get either one for around $70, maybe less. The thing that concerns me is whether, at 3x the cost of a "disposable" semi-portable, they are likely to withstand less-than-ideal handling and a lot of being shoved around. My price ceiling really is $75 and no higher, but I'd really love to upgrade to a balanced, comfortable product without that easily-compromised frame. I have looked at the CAL! and don't favor what I've read about the isolation level...

There is the Superlux 668 but I have concern that for soundtracks, metal, etc. it may be less capable of presenting deep rumble, spaciousness, other qualities (perhaps in orchestral as well...)

Signature wise I prefer impactful but not burdensome bass, a lush midrange, and slightly withdrawn treble - overall, euphonic, organic, MUSICAL sound (although if I were to jump clearly into mid-fi I'd probably get an M-100) - the EX300 was great fun but lacking in clarity, and the XCape Impressive Edition was too dry. I have a 2.1 shelf-system and while the low end is overexerted in most popular music, otherwise it has the sound I want in a headphone.

Advice and suggestions are welcome.

The ZX700, from that one occasion that I've seen them, look fine in just terms of build. Definitely better than my CAL!s. Incredibly crisp, balanced sound. I would advise you to go ask inline79, he owned the 8323, Superlux, and the ZX700 that I auditioned. 

Quote:
Need a new pair of iem's.
Currently considering the Ath ckm500's, but after reading about the MH1's, I'm considering those as well.
Just wondering if there is any reason I should spend the extra money on the AT's?

Better build and ergonomics, for sure. The MH1 have some of the worst cabling I've seen. Sound-wise also easily goes to the CKM500 if you're into that kind of sound sig.

Quote:
Help ! what are recommendations for a upgrade IEM from my Vsonic GR06 and astrotec am90.
i have dba-02 ,ba200 and GR07 in mind. any others ? and which is the best ?

GR07 should be the natural progression. The other two are a bit leaner in sound than your previous IEMs, might not be accustomed to the sound sig. Any needs in terms of comfort, isolation, etc? Any preferences in sound or genres?

Quote:
My A151 has broken down and I'm trying to find a replacement and maybe something better. But I wanted to mod the A151 since it's only the wires that broke so I'm not going out to buy a new set of the same.

Sound wise, my complaints on the A151 is that the sound ends up getting muddled when exposed to songs with very fast beats. So I find myself stuffing less rock songs on my portable player. I don't mind something similar to the A151, I can live with less rock songs, but something better is much preferred.

Mostly listen to Classic, Pop, and a little RnB and Rock. female and male vocals ends up about even so no bias on voices is preferred.

Currently I'm looking at the following:
R-50
GR07
GR01

So R-50 or GR01, which one is better for my needs, and is it worth the price premium to get the GR01?

I wanted the GR07 for a change (Dynamic instead of Armature) is it worth getting over the above 2 and is the change significant?

Sorry for the weird or general questions. I've read the reviews but I'm still not convinced which one to get. I can't shake off the price advantage of the R-50, but I wanted to try dynamic so was tempted to get the GR07 and reading about the GR01 and the big discount lendmeurears is giving, I now seem to be going back and forth with GR01 and R-50. (I know paying 65 bucks more to save 50 bucks sounds stupid but here it's getting the next tier ...)

Getting one of these 3 from lendmeurears, so you can check there for the price difference.

I'd say the GR01 are slightly better than the Rockits, but they do sound somewhat similar. The GR01 will most definitely be faster than the MEElectronics, no doubt. A very impressive BA, sweet, lean, VERY clear.

Quote:

IEMs with mic for non iOS smartphone?

Looking for good sounding IEMs with mic so I can answer the phone (non iPhone!) while riding bike, skiing etc.

I`ve been reading reviews and forums for over a week and still not quite made my mind.

As for sound I prefer maximum detalization over powerful bass.

Music genres: pretty lots of metal (trash, groove, tech death and so on), metalcore, intellectual electonic, ambient, psy trance, intelligent hip-hop, post rock, jazz, funk, blues, classic and pretty much everything else except house, d'n'b and pop music.

They also should be comfortable with helmet.

At the moment I am looking at Shure SE 315 - the sound should be nice without excessive bass, they seem really ergonomic (used to have similar fischer audio - liked them a lot!) for helmet use, and I really like the ability to change the cable (in case of damage) and buy one with a mic compatible with non iOS phones.

And I am into really quality build ones.

I also considered Etymotic hf2 but I dont like deep insertion (have certain problems with my easrs at tho moment) and they might be very uncomfortable with helmet of while sleeping.

Did I miss something? Should I look at some other models, will 315 be good for my music and sound liking?

Thanks! 

From the looks of that price range, there's plenty of other choices like the PFE122, A161P, both great all-rounders (seems like you're looking more at IEMs that are good for everything). Build is solid, not industrial solid, but solid nevertheless. Both aren't very deep inserting, especially the Phonaks. Much more ergonomic than the Shures, which I found pretty mediocre sounding for the price. 

Quote:
Hey guys looking for some good fun IEMs for the gym since my MEElectronics M9 crapped out on me the other day. Mostly looking for good isolation, comfort, and somewhat bassy. Also something that is built for the long run and can be tossed without breaking would be great. Looking at the JVC FX40, JVC FX101, Brainwavz M5, Hippo VB, Soundmagic E10, Atrio MG7? Would like to stay under $100 

Atrios (probably most ideal), Hippos, or either of the JVC (FXD40 not so great on isolation though). The Soundmagics are pretty balanced, and haven't heard the M5, though I've had the M2, and they'd do what you're looking for as well. Most of the DUNUs are pretty fun, bassy sounding with really great build. I think I've told this story before, but I give them to friends as X-Mas gift, never had one break yet (and these people are tough on their IEMs)

Quote:
Hey all this is my first post,, please recommend me some good IEM under 15$ I have heard much about Soundmagic, please do advice asap

Genres, sound preferences, comfort, isolation, etc?

Quote:
Hello.
Ever sine I bought m th HD 558's my cheap sony earbuds just don't do it for me anymore. So now i'm looking for a new pair of IEM's to contrast th HD 558's.
My budget is aroun 60 to 80$ range though I can go to 100$ if I have to.
I'll be usein these for handheld gaming and mucic from an android that i'll be getting soon so thse are more for traveling while my HD 558's are for home use.
For genres I listen to rock, metal, alternate, techno, and orchestra like two steps from hell.

Looking for a balanced/mid-centric sound? The GR06 and the R-30 are pretty nice for that kind of stuff. MC5 are similar sounding as well.

Ok I'm looking for something good specifically for progressive metal/hard rock, mainly Tool, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, and Soundgarden (yes i know bg is an outlier). Also Metallica, Led Zeppelin, August Burns Red, and In Flames (excluding everything after Clayman) also work their way in there. I would like something that encompasses all of these but mainly the ones from the first group. I'm willing to pay up to around $400 and I realy have no basis for comparison.
I have done some research and at the moment I feel like the best option I've found l may be W4s but I'm not sure. I'm making a purchase soon so I would realy like a response as soon as possible. Thanks!

If it's primarily metal, while the W4 are great for those, you could get a dedicated IEM for that like the GR10, W3, or the FX700. Might also want to look at the UE900  (haven't heard though) and the 3.Ai (haven't heard as well), impressions on those seem to mesh with what you are looking for, might want to research that a bit.

Quote:
Long time listener, first time poster!
I currently have a set of klipsch s4 image which were the first headphones i put a little research into buying and when they popped up for £36 on amazon/$58 early last year i snapped them up and enjoyed them ever since.
Im looking to upgrade and although i cant justify a set of custom IEMS yet, i do want something that will be a good improvement in my s4s
I use my cowon J3 which obv has the BBE system so im assuming i can adapt and suit my music style and listening preference to which ever Iem i root for.
Ideally, i would get the gr07 bundle from lendmeurears inc the gr04 but there has been problems with their website, order wont go through, delayed response and im impatient so i want to wait 2 weeks for delivery.
So discounting the Vsonics, i am in two minds over budget and choices so advice would be over:
Audeo 112s $135 over etymotic hf5 $103
Or stepping up in price to:
Westone um2 dual drivers $223 over the shure se425 $239
There are so many conficting opinions over everything that has puzzled me as im usually pretty decisive. However with so many foibles like value for money, sound characteristics etc etc im puzzled.
Im not an audiophile yet, i would just like a better upgrade than my s4 but with comparable durability as i have been rough with them and they still work!
Thank you all in advance

Either the PFE112 or the HF5 will be great IEMs period. Any preferences on build, ergonomics, sound, genres?

Quote:
I now have the Klipsch x10i, after my x10 was replaced under warranty.  I like the sound overall, and they are the most comfortable IEMs I have ever had.  I can hear details in music that I had missed before with cheaper IEMs and isolation from outside noise is great.  I seem to be sensitive to harsh high end and these IEMs are great for me.  However, I would describe their sound as a high end set of bookshelf speakers - very good sound and detail but lacking in low bass.  It is there, but at far lower levels that the rest of the music. 

Example:  Crystal Method's High Roller has the drums, but below that as the song starts (~45 seconds in or so) there is a low rumble.  In the car that's where the mirrors shake. 
wink_face.gif
  That's not what I usualy listen to but it is a way to show what I'm talking about. 

I'd love to stay under $100 as I did with the x10, but I could reach if needed.  I am looking for the mellow high end and detail of the x10 but with a subwoofer added.  Where do I look?

Thanks!

Atrios will have more sub-bass, but the treble level is quite similar. Won't find that much better than the X10 under 100, okay, nearly impossible. Okay with stretching ~$200?

Quote:
After I got my CX500s caught and the wires snapped, I'm looking for some earphones (buds or in ear I don't really mind), preferably hangdown and at around £50/60, though I'm willing to go higher should they be worth it, or will even wait should there be something soon to be released. I know it's not a considerable budget, but there must be a few that can punch above their weight.

I listen to pretty much any type of music so I'm just looking for overall sound quality; talk of mids and crisp highs and whathaveyou just sounds like gobbledygook to me so I can't really narrow it down further to what I want. Basically I just want them to sound good when I'm listening to rock, and good when I'm listening to classical as well.

Apart from that my main interest is that people won't be able to hear what I'm listening to and I can't hear them when I'm wearing them. Generally they will only be used with a Samsung P3 or in my laptop, so nothing too taxing. And obviously that they should be comfortable, but I imagine that is a given and subjective anyway.

Peripheral things like volume control I'm not too bothered about, but if they had it it'd be a plus, and I would prefer them to be of good build quality as they inevitably take a bashing, as well as low cable noise which was one thing that could distract me with my old earphones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Seems like you might want an all-rounder? It'd be easier if you could narrow down your sound preferences, so learning the lingo and what to listen for would make it easier to get more precise recommendations. I'd say the E30 or the GR06 for rock/classical. No chance of them leaking unless you listen at absurd volumes.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,919 of 5,364
I went for the westone um2 rc - a classic, built in the US and about £70/80 less than I would have paid for them back in the UK.

Struggling to get the right tip set up - the tri flanges I've modified to bi but probably made them too short as I trimmed the tail piece as well, the comply medium are just too small and short so using the modified fatter grey silicone tips when give me a good seal.

Tbh, I wasn't too impressed when I first tried them as I was expecting a lot more, however when switching over to my s4s,the difference is phenomenal and the settings iad with the klipsch on my cowon j3 are tinny, artificial and crap in comparison with the um2.
As the hours have passed, the more I'm adapting to the sound signature and detail - never realised there was a low vocal at the start of paradise city on top of axel singing!

The one thing I don't hear (yet?)'is the truly excellent mids/vocals that other reviewers raved about "like being n the studio with them" I have excellent lows - crystal method, underworld - excellent highs with guns n roses, foo fighters but the vocals/mids are almost too crisp and don't have any richness?

In case anyone wonders, I chose the um2 rc over everything else as being new into the audio world, they seem to be a bit of a classic, still built in the US, 2 year warranty and I figured if I got them, and I was impressed, I would end up buying a different set in a couple of months!

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #1,920 of 5,364
Hello All, Long time reader but first time poster im afraid! 

I'm looking to replace my UE TF10's. Main reasons include:

I'm moving to London so I can't bring my surround system.
I would like more bass impact and depth from the TF10's
I find the mids very recessed and would like them brought forward
The TF 10's arent the most inconspicous headphones and would like a different form factor. 

However I do love the soundstage the TF10's produce as well as the isolation, I can get a perfect fit and wear them for a couple of hours without fatigue with comply tips.

I'm open to either IEM's again or headphones but not sure what to get. They'll be used mainly for commuting and on the go audio with very occasional home use. I am willing to amp if needed; they will be used with my iPhone 5 with Lossless audio files. 

Total budget is ~ £250 / $400 

I have considered the JVC HA-FXZ200's , Beyerdynamic DT1350 and Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's. 

Any suggestions or reccomendations? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back