Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,636 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello everyone..

noobie here, where I'm seeking some advice for a pair of in-ear headphones. Pretty much I'm looking for a pair of cans under $150 that would be best for electronic music- techno & house. I brought a pair of Sony's (can't remember the model) about 2 yrs ago for about $100 and they just crapped out so looking to invest about the same just with much better sound quality. If anyone can suggest about 2-3 to choose from, I would highly appreciate it. 

If it helps, I'll be using them for to/from work and at work for the most part- an avg of 5hrs/day. Most use for my Android phone (HTC One S). 

thanks!

Wait, you refer to wanting in-ears and cans at the same time, which one is it?

For IEMs, try the FXD80, really good for electronic. Cans-wise, look into the HP700(favourite for electronic at that price)/M50s. Maybe the DT770 if you can deal with the size. 

Quote:
My current IEMs keep falling out of my ear when I'm running, so I want a new pair that hooks over my ears to prevent this. $100-$150 price range, like a good amount of bass. Suggestions? Something like the Bang & Olufsen A8s but with a better low-end.

Over-ear styles - try the PFE122, GR07. I heard the A8, and pretty much any in-ear would give you better bass than those. 

Quote:
I have the S4's right now and kinda miss my RE0's and how clear they were...I liked them for just wanting to chill out in the car and drift. 

Would the HF5 for $60 be a good deal? I really need something comfortable and that is good for folk, indie rock, etc.....worried about the HF5 not being comfortable to wear for over an hour. Also concerned about their microphonics.

Where did you find the HF5 for $60? That's a ridiculously good deal. They're already a massive value at 100, since they come so close (85-90%) to the ER4P. They would definitely be a step up from the RE0, from which I upgraded to the ER4P a while back. Sound is flat and clear. Comfort is a hit and miss. Some people like the deep fit, some don't. While I like it, the triflanges can hurt a bit too much at times. Try the Olives instead, much better in comfort. I get no microphonics when I wear them over ear (push them in deep, so they don't hang out too much) and from the back of the head.

Quote:
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and it looks like this is the place to ask the question I joined up to ask instead of clogging up the main forums.

I used to have some soundmagic PL50s until they rather unfortunately died. I liked the sound on them (especially with comply tips) - I listen to a mix of rock and lighter a capella stuff, so they seemed to suit my music fairly well, without being too light on the bass.

I'm considering either some Phonak Audeo PFE 012's or some Shure SE215's as a replacement. Previous phones I've enjoyed were the Phillips SHE 9850 and Shure E3c (both sadly now gone.)

Are either of the two I mentioned there worth the money? Is this a sensible price point - should I move to the £120-ish mark instead? Any advice that people have would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

Cpfoxhunt

EDIT: Oh and I have some Comply t100 foam tips left over, which is leading me to lean towards the Shure's at the moment, but I can always get some t130's for the Phonaks. They're just a bit harder to source in the UK.

The PFE012 would be closer to the PL50s. Your budget's fine. They are really good all-rounders, and will be decent upgrades. I actually hate the foams with the PFEs, I would just stick to the stock silicone tips.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,637 of 5,364
Should I buy the Klipsch X10 for 85 bucks at amazon, or buy shure 315 for 169 at bestbuy?
I normally listen to rock, alternative, indie rock, britpop.
There is also a special deal on the Vmoda Crossfade Lp, are they good?
I prefer in ear because I want to use them for running too, but I want them to be comfortable for wearing for more than an hour, I know the shure are comfortable since I used to own the 215.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,638 of 5,364
Quote:
Should I buy the Klipsch X10 for 85 bucks at amazon, or buy shure 315 for 169 at bestbuy?
I normally listen to rock, alternative, indie rock, britpop.
There is also a special deal on the Vmoda Crossfade Lp, are they good?
I prefer in ear because I want to use them for running too, but I want them to be comfortable for wearing for more than an hour, I know the shure are comfortable since I used to own the 215.

The X10 are just way too good of a deal to pass up. The gel tips included make comfort some of the best on IEMs period. Good, fun sound signature that compliments your music as well. The SE315 aren't really all that special, especially if you're coming from the SE215 as an upgrade. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,639 of 5,364
I read some reviews the x10 were kind of flimsy. However LP looks like a great deal to not pass up.

Are the LP that crappy that most of head fi doesn't like them? Like if I was mainly looking for bass, what should I go for? I'm hesistant on the x10s as I'm not too careful with my stuff. LP's also look like they're semi portable as well.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,640 of 5,364
Quote:
I read some reviews the x10 were kind of flimsy. However LP looks like a great deal to not pass up.

Are the LP that crappy that most of head fi doesn't like them? Like if I was mainly looking for bass, what should I go for? I'm hesistant on the x10s as I'm not too careful with my stuff. LP's also look like they're semi portable as well.

Didn't see anything too bad when I had the X10 in hand. Maybe long-term, but you really can't tell from a cursory look.

Yes, the LPs weren't that good. The LP2 is vastly improved, though still bass heavy. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,641 of 5,364
Didn't see anything too bad when I had the X10 in hand. Maybe long-term, but you really can't tell from a cursory look.

Yes, the LPs weren't that good. The LP2 is vastly improved, though still bass heavy. 

But the Lps aren't so terrible that they're not worth buying at 75 bucks? As compared to xb500s they don't seen that different. I have a terrible track record with iems, most that come through my possession break, so im a but wary as a bunch of people say it's fragile. It's bass heavy though right?

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #1,642 of 5,364
But the Lps aren't so terrible that they're not worth buying at 75 bucks? As compared to xb500s they don't seen that different. I have a terrible track record with iems, most that come through my possession break, so im a but wary as a bunch of people say it's fragile. It's bass heavy though right?

What I kinda don't get about this question, Is you already came in here based on your post knowing that people have said on head fi that the LP is not that good of a phone. TwinQY already confirmed that those reports are correct. If you want to get it because it is a good deal go for it. If you want advice for a headphone in a price range, ask away. That clearly isn't gunna be on the recommend list here.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #1,643 of 5,364
Quote:
What I kinda don't get about this question, Is you already came in here based on your post knowing that people have said on head fi that the LP is not that good of a phone. TwinQY already confirmed that those reports are correct. If you want to get it because it is a good deal go for it. If you want advice for a headphone in a price range, ask away. That clearly isn't gunna be on the recommend list here.

I meant comparatively to say the xb500s, are they more or less equal as a headphone? They do seem like a good deal, but I can't determine if they're worth the money compared to the xb500s. Most of the reviews are in the context of a 200$ headphone and/or dont mention any positive values of it (other than bass). As for the xb500s, most say they're a decent competitor of headphones in terms of bass and nothing else.

Really what am I asking is that at a similar price point, between the xb500s and LP, which one is the better headphone?

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #1,644 of 5,364
I need some help.  I am thinking about buying some new ear buds for my 12-year-old daughter.  I bought her the Klipsch S4 last year, and she has thoroughly enjoyed them.  I think she understands what a proper seal is, and she is able to explain the concept of getting the bass when the seal is attained.  

My question is will she notice an upgrade, and if so, what kind of monetary level is needed for the upgrade to be noticeable, even for me.  Looking at the Shure SE 215, 315, the Audeo perfect fiits, and the Westones.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jeff 

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,645 of 5,364
Quote:

Wait, you refer to wanting in-ears and cans at the same time, which one is it?

For IEMs, try the FXD80, really good for electronic. Cans-wise, look into the HP700(favourite for electronic at that price)/M50s. Maybe the DT770 if you can deal with the size. 

Thanks for your input. I didn't realize what I wrote but I was asking advice for IEM's- sorry for the confusion. I tried looking for the FXD80 on earphone solutions- since they have a one day 30% off, which I'm trying to take advantage of- but, unfortunately, they are not listed. 

Are the Westone 1, Shure SE215 ltd edition (both $85 after the discount) any good for the preference mentioned? Also, I'm reading about the R-50 but that, too, isn't on the site.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #1,646 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks for your input. I didn't realize what I wrote but I was asking advice for IEM's- sorry for the confusion. I tried looking for the FXD80 on earphone solutions- since they have a one day 30% off, which I'm trying to take advantage of- but, unfortunately, they are not listed. 

Are the Westone 1, Shure SE215 ltd edition (both $85 after the discount) any good for the preference mentioned? Also, I'm reading about the R-50 but that, too, isn't on the site.

Ah, you're limited to the Earphonesolution stuff? In that case I'd get the SE215. Not as good as the FXD80 for electronic, but it'll do fine. Slight bump in the bass, forward and rich mids, treble sloops down as it goes up (counterintuitive, I know). I heard the LTD has ever so slightly more bass, but that's only from one set of impressions lying somewhere around this site. R-50s are much more balanced, clean, maybe not focused on electronic, but good at everything else. The W1 is just boring, dull sound really. Not the best that  Westone has come up with. 

Quote:
I need some help.  I am thinking about buying some new ear buds for my 12-year-old daughter.  I bought her the Klipsch S4 last year, and she has thoroughly enjoyed them.  I think she understands what a proper seal is, and she is able to explain the concept of getting the bass when the seal is attained.  

My question is will she notice an upgrade, and if so, what kind of monetary level is needed for the upgrade to be noticeable, even for me.  Looking at the Shure SE 215, 315, the Audeo perfect fiits, and the Westones.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Jeff 

A jump in monetary value doesn't necessarily dictate an increase in sound quality. You could honestly also find other stuff below the S4's price range that manage to perform better.

Anyways, out of your choices, it'd be hard to know what she would like unless we know her sound preferences/music genres. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,650 of 5,364
Hello everybody,

For two years, I've used my Sennheiser CX 280 in-ear headphones to listen to music. But the cable broke, so I have to buy a new pair of headphones.
I have been very satisfied with the CX 280, maybe a bit too much bass, because I mainly listen to pop/rock music (and sometimes a little bit dance). But a big disadvantage was the sensitivity of the earbuds. Every time I cycle to school, I hear the whizzing sound of the wind through my headphones. On average, the noise isolation was pretty good, but on my bicycle, I coudn't hear my music properly.

So my question is: do you guys have good ideas for a pair of decent, well-balanced in-ear headphones which aren't sensitive to vibrating because of the wind.
Maximum price is around €100/$100

Thanks in advantage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back